Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Turkey - 2013

There has been a little interest in starting a new thread with this subject for 2013. So I'm jumping in. Hope I didn't step on any toes of previous stampers that got it going in previous years. If so, my apologies.

Will you go cold-turkey? Set a budget and stick to it? What's your plan for 2013?

Me? I want to use what I have (and it's a lot!). I won't say I will never get another piece of paper or stamp, but it will be few and far between. I do have a couple of retreats I go to throughout the year and I think that will be my time to spend. And use cash. I do much better with cash than a check or CC. Why is it harder to spend cash?

May I suggest we also share here how we are using our stashes? Sometimes I think that the thrill of buying scrapbook supplies was as good as the actual hobby! I need to get back to the thrill of creating!

All aboard!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't plan on going cold-turkey, there's very little on my list. I've been stamping and crafting for so long that I have more than enough to last me several lifetimes. What I need is more crafting time and less running my kids around to their activities time. There are a few stamps I want to fill in some small gaps with certain themes or sayings, but that's about it. I also have some home-needs big purchases to make this year, so I will be sticking to a tight budget for crafting as well as other discretionary expenses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I have more than enough in the way of supplies, I know that this hobby has ahold of me and I will be buying more next year. I kept track of my spending from Nov 11 to Nov 12, and I averaged $50 per week which was a LOT more than I thought I was spending. I am planning a trip to my favorite stamp store (get there about twice a year) in January and know I will overspend.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I am ging to cut back on my buying, I have so many stamps that have never been inked it's sad, too much paper and 6x6 pads, and ton of embellishments. I need to use what I have. My New Year's Resolution for 2012 is to only buy what I need as far as consumables (AKA glue runners, white cardstock, etc) and only get stamps that I do not have anything similar to.

We'll see how it goes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a ton of supplies, but I do have lots of patterned paper and stamps I've never used. I tend to buy supplies, but never get around to making anything with them! So my goal for this year is to stick to a small monthly budget, and more importantly, CREATE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would like to go "cold turkey" but even if I commit to it on here, I think I might not accomplish it. I might even lie about it. I, like a previous poster, have more than enough for a few life times, but I think part of my hobby is the collecting. Also, I share a lot when my friends come over to stamp with me. Okay... I think I'll just keep buying and sharing... that sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I'd love to say that I could do this but I just don't think I can.

First I'd really like to start teaching so I know I'll need to buy some supplies for that.

Second I'd feel funny asking the lady that leads are crafting group to post my classes on the calendar if I wasn't buying from her.

Third I still have a growing craft wish list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I started cutting back last year. I need to purchase consumables such as adhesives and ink pads, but I am committed to using what I have..which is substantial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a lot of supplies (name it and I probably have it) that I am totally overwhelmed these days. When I want to make a card or project I'm not sure where to start. I do plan to go through my entire supplies and purge. I do not need to buy for a long time. I have not determined a budget for 2013 but I am cutting way back. Spent way too much in 2012.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I've always thought the hobby had 3 parts to me - buying, organizing and actually doing. Well, too much buying led to too much time spent organizing trying to fit it all in, and then I used up all my crafting time not crafting. So I'm shooting for some balance here. If I buy less, I will have less to organize and more time to create which should help me use up supplies. I'm trying to decide how I will figure out how much I can spend or maybe how I will 'earn' money. I do sell a few cards at work, but $2 a crack doesn't come near to what I was spending monthly, or maybe my change going into the can at the end of the week - wouldn't be much, but it might keep me more mindful of what I am spending. Just thinking of how to make this work for 2013.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #11  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

There have been studies done about how much more we spend with putting it on a card rather than handing over the cold, hard, cash. A few years ago my DH & I went through Financial Peace University (Dave Ramsey) and ever since then we don't put anything on a true credit card. We have our debit card that we use alot - but it comes directly out of the checking account so it's not like it can go month to month. It's reigned in the spending for me quite a bit. So it's cash only for me...nothing that I buy this day follows me around for the next month, year, etc. It's done and paid for...and that's a very good feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #12  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

It's interesting that "buying" is part of the hobby....I've had that discussion with another friend and never thought about it before then but it's true....getting all the neat things is part of it isn't it?

Honestly, I look at all I have and it's shameful to me to go out and buy more. I have so many stamps that have never seen ink.....and so much dsp that I could make cards every day for a year and still have enough for the next probably. Swapping has caused a build up of supplies too. So that was one thing that I backed away from late last year and will keep in that theme this year - not sign up for swaps that are product based (like having a wish list and buying for someone elses wish list). I found that if I have a wish list and I'm not buying anything from it - does it really make sense for me to go out and spend money on someone elses list and then pay to ship it to them too? With the cost of postage going up and up....and having to live more frugally due to the economy - I've just had to back away from those kind of swaps. I'm not saying I won't do any....but at one time I was in so many that is overwhelming.

Don't you think part of it too is that you first start out you think you have to have everything...or if you see a card that someone else had made and you think it's cool then off to the local shop to buy the stuff to make it - and then the stuff just sits there because it's really not your style. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. LOL!!! So I think a huge help is determining what you really like to use. I discovered last year that I hate glitter. LOL!!! I can handle some glitter paper or a bottle of glitter glue - but I mean the loose stuff. (When you have a cat who likes to help you craft...and then you see your cat glowing....and the rest of your house starts glistening.....). I've learned that while I appreciate all the vintage cards that people make and those kinds of cards that have sooooo much stuff on them - they are beautiful - but it's just not my style. I have my go-to items and that's about it.

Hey - that's a good question....what are your go-to items?

Mine would be: ribbon, rhinestones, and those pearls (both self-stick).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

GO TO -
for cards, I like pp and embossing folders. I think they add so much.
My PP stash will enable me to make cards (and lots of them) for years and years! I'm hoping to make a nice dent this year. And if I stop buying them faster than I use them, I'm hopeful!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I always felt there were FOUR parts to this hobby - acquiring supplies, organizing supplies, looking for inspiration (like crusing our gallery!!!!!) and finally, if there is any time left, making cards.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I agree with CathyH....if I would spend less time on here, maybe I would have some time to craft! ;)

As for going Cold turkey.....I usually watch try to my spending....I don't live near a hobby lobby or anything, so I only buy when I get to a large place....2 or 3 times a year....other times I buy from my creative memories consultant or SU demo.....

I, too.....need to use what I have....instead of buying more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I always felt there were FOUR parts to this hobby - acquiring supplies, organizing supplies, looking for inspiration (like crusing our gallery!!!!!) and finally, if there is any time left, making cards.
Well, I have to agree with the FOUR parts to this hobby...I thought I was the only one who saw cool stuff and had to have it, got it, then it sits. I love getting inspiration from other peoples cards and save the pics to my desktop or folders, but so few do I actually do. I actually LOVE making cards once I get at it; but truth be told, lots of time I think I got my craving satisfied on the basic THREE parts! This is all so funny. I have been making cards for over 35 years, long before all the jazz was added. They were simple cards and very nice but these last years, the embellishments have gone through the roof. They are all so nice, and cool, and gorgeous. But, the proverb is true: The eye is never satisfied.
This is a good thing and this can be a not so good thing. So, I am gonna jump on with this group and cut way back this year in my purchases. Adhesives, white card stock...inks and thats about it. This is hard already cause I know DH is getting me a gift card from Joann's.
Oh, and yes, I think there may be FIVE parts to this hobby. The "sit and stare at all the cool stuff" part! Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The organizing is what makes me a little nuts. You spend on the stuff, and then you have to spend more on ways to store/organize it. After figuring out HOW you're going to store/organize it. And before someone shows you how THEY store/organize it and you realize their way is so much better than your way that you must immediately chuck your system and implement theirs.

I agree that sitting and staring at your stuff is part of the whole thing. Sometimes I look at a pack of paper and the color is so beautiful I want to take a bite of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I can't say I can go "cold turkey", but I am going to do what I started doing 2012. That was to use up what I had. I bought adhesives and a couple of other things, but didn't really buy much paper except for basic color that I had ran out of.
I also got rid of stamps that had not been used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I agree that I won't stop spending all together, but like others my goal is actually CREATE something with all of the great things I have. Too many stamps, embossing folders, dies, embellishments that have never been used! I am going to try to build up a supply of cards that I actually send people! Good luck to everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a hobby demo, so I have to spend $1200/year. I was spending more than that before I was a demo and not getting nearly as much bang for my buck...but then my husband lost his job in May, and is on a contract job now. We have no debt, so that helps a ton. I wasn't going to buy anything this quarter, and just let my demo go because his contract was set to expire this month. His contract was renewed until April, so I spent $300 on one order...days before Christmas...just to spend $$. I haven't stamped much this past year, because when my dad died last January all I did was make thank you cards for acts of sympathy from others. After that I associated all stamping with my father's death, and it lost every ounce of joy for me.

I'm so thankful I went through my last order. I almost duplicated the ENTIRE order, because I hadn't even opened any of it!! I went through the catalog to try and find something...anything that I didn't already have. I managed to find enough to order, but still...

I've finally, 11 months later, gotten the desire to stamp again. That is huge for me, because before I couldn't even look at my craft area without feeling a jab to my heart. Now I'm getting excited again, which is what my daddy would have wanted.

soooo finally, I'm not going to spend $$ for the sake of spending money...and I'm not going let myself forget how much I enjoy stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 972 Likes on 661 Posts

I really need to stop buying DS paper. I guess paper in general. I have enough to start a small store. LOL I have stamps that have never even seen ink or the light of day for that matter. I am hoping that by wring this down I can curb this addiction. I can't say never. But hopefully, stay out of Joanne's and Michael's will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I tried to go cold-turkey last year, and failed. However, what I did do is record every single item purchased by myself and my husband last year, organizing the purchases into various categories. It really opened my eyes on our spending habits. With the information we compiled from this year, we are able to make a realistic budget for our spending, including our hobbies. This exercise also really made me think long and hard about items that I wanted to purchase and many, many times I would have something in my cart (physical or online) and just before going to checkout ask myself "do I REALLY need this? Or do I just want it? If I just want it, am I going to really use it to justify the cost?" More times than not, I left the items there and walked(moused) away.

One other thing I did this year was refresh my stamp collection. I had a very nice selection of Christmas stamps that I have had for at least 5 years - very timeless and classic, but I had become so tired of using them, that I sold them all and used the proceeds to purchase all new ones. Now, I am rejuvenated to stamp Christmas cards again, and expect that I will enjoy these new ones for years to come.

So, I will not be going cold turkey, as I don't want to set myself up for failure yet again, but I will continue to be judicious in my purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I'm really bad at making commitments and resolutions, so I won't make any, but I have to cut my crafty spendings too, craft room is not big enough But I guess I'm getting there naturally.. I was browsing M's today and even though they had all the Christmas stuff on sale, I only got a pack of stickers for $1... I didn't feel the need to buy anything else.
About using up your stash, you can play with our Shopping Our Stash challenge.. see link in my signature ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Last year I decided to curb the spending. I was averaging about 100 a month. This year I averaged about 40 a month, thats an average. Some months I spent nothing, others more than 40 but all told not terribly much compared to the previous year. I think I have hit my saturation point because there is not much I have felt the need to purchase lately. This year I plan to do the same. Use my stash and only buy if its something I need (adhesive comes to mind) or if its something I will get a lot of use out of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

The one thing that I really need to work on in 2013 is to curb the "impulse" spending - you know, walk into a store, find a bunch of stamp sets or paper packs on clearance and buy them - not because I need them but because they are such a great bargain. Tuesday Morning was one of my biggest trouble spots this past year - stamp sets and paper packs for cheap! But they're all still sitting in boxes in my room because I can't possibly use everything I bought.

I totally agree with the 4 parts to the hobby - I do love to shop, I need to be better organized, I spend way too much time surfing for inspiration, and I spend way too little time actually making cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I had to clean my stamp room for a new floor, and was a little disgusted by the amount of stuff I have, particularily paper. I have no problem putting myself on a 6 month diet, but I have a question that I thought someone might help me with. I am committed to be in a club where we spend 30 every other month. I have 1,000 envelopes, 12 rolls of ATG adhesive and a lot of card stock. In the past, I just bought cute stuff. Any ideas on what else to spend my dollars on?
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Ditto....I personally need to 'use what I have' and quit the spending ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
I have a lot of supplies (name it and I probably have it) that I am totally overwhelmed these days. When I want to make a card or project I'm not sure where to start. I do plan to go through my entire supplies and purge. I do not need to buy for a long time. I have not determined a budget for 2013 but I am cutting way back. Spent way too much in 2012.

Last edited by KristiK; 12-24-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerbyLeaView Post
Last year I decided to curb the spending. I was averaging about 100 a month. This year I averaged about 40 a month, thats an average. Some months I spent nothing, others more than 40 but all told not terribly much compared to the previous year. I think I have hit my saturation point because there is not much I have felt the need to purchase lately. This year I plan to do the same. Use my stash and only buy if its something I need (adhesive comes to mind) or if its something I will get a lot of use out of.
Wow, you did good last year. Congrats!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
Wow, you did good last year. Congrats!!!
Thanks June! I felt good about it. Which is not to say I dont like to shop, I love to shop but I felt the need to pull back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is too much temptation to get all new supplies. It's easy for me to go to online or to M's because I have an idea for a card and then forget. I get inspired, go shopping and come home w/o a plan to store all the new goodies. I do need a better system for inspiration and I need to "shop" in my closet. I'm saving change so I can buy basic, but good cardstock. I plan to shop with only cash. But must cut way back. I would like to trade/swap stuff I'll never use for stuff I can. Best of luck to all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

And so I add a 5th category of PURGE. I recently met a fellow crafter who shared that she bought the same Cricut cartridge three times...now she carries her list with her on her phone. We were talking about a cartridge in particular, and it took her five minutes to get through her alphabetized list. While some may think, wow, she's lucky to have so many, I thought, wow, we're all the same. So, I'm committing to only buy consumables...specifically tape, ink, card stock, and envelopes.

......maybe yet another butterfly stamp.
Ok, but SU is having a sale.
Free shipping, no minimum? Ugh!

I can do this.

Pray for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

So nice to know I'm in good company! I have always had a problem with deciding which one or which color, so I would grab them all! Consequently, my stash got way with me. But not 2013! I am going to use up more than I bring in! And yes, cash only. I need to avoid the on-line shopping as well. I for one spend more when I'm putting it on the CC than with cash. So, my 'freeze' started already, but I'm pumped to go forward to continue it. I know I will have a few scrapbook shopping trips this year, but will use willpower and discretion and not go crazy!!!
Hope everyone will stop back in and share the good and the bad. We can all rejoice together when we use up some paper or a sheet of stickers, or toss a coupon that came in the mail!
Here's to sensible scrapbook shopping in 2013!!:smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobrylinView Post
......maybe yet another butterfly stamp.
Ok, but SU is having a sale.
Free shipping, no minimum? Ugh!

I can do this.

Pray for me.

Where is info on SU free shipping no minimum?? Does it include clearance rack?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Since I am moving my stamping area upstairs to my new room, I spent awhile purging my stash. A lot of it was gifts (well meant) and early purchases before I knew what papers and stuff I liked. I just donated them to the local kindergarten. Now, the supplies are being organized etc. I plan to just update my dies or folders if I see anything I really like. I have inks and papers, so I just think I will need white paper this year. I am rediscovering a lot of my older stamp sets this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
I had to clean my stamp room for a new floor, and was a little disgusted by the amount of stuff I have, particularily paper. I have no problem putting myself on a 6 month diet, but I have a question that I thought someone might help me with. I am committed to be in a club where we spend 30 every other month. I have 1,000 envelopes, 12 rolls of ATG adhesive and a lot of card stock. In the past, I just bought cute stuff. Any ideas on what else to spend my dollars on?
Leah
I've been focusing on tools that I don't already have that will be good long-term investments. Alcohol-based markers, dies that have timeless appeal or that can be used in numerous ways, etc. That might be a way to go - or you could get organizational items for what you already own...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Where is info on SU free shipping no minimum?? Does it include clearance rack?
Sorry for the confusion. My thoughts were rambling with what I tend to come across when checking my email. SU's clearance rack, another company is offering free or low cost shipping (like Joann's occasionally). I'd really be in trouble if SU ever offered free shipping!

Last edited by Cobrylin; 01-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

So I had New Year's Eve afternoon off, so I dug into my room and tossed all those instructions, examples, sketches, that I'd been printing up. The majority is still available to me on-line, so why keep a printed copy? And then there was some stuff that I always thought - hey, I could use this in a card. Decided they could go too. When I've used up that much of my stash that I'm looking for stuff, something like it will be available again. In all, I took 3 grocery bags of junk out to the garbage can! It was so freeing!! Much more freeing than thinking I needed to take all that printed paper and make categories and label it and put it in binders just in case I might need it! Then I did a little rearranging of am down to 1 PC utinsel holder. Love seeing just a little bit of space coming back to my room. I made 5 cards and finished a layout since the New Year. I even used up a small chunk of ribbon. I just used it not worrying that I don't have it in my stash any more!! I can see that not spending all my time putting away new supplies, might just free me up to do more creating. Digging into some of the embossing folders or inks or stamps and just having fun!!!
So, so far in 2013, I regained a little bit of space in my room and I'm doing the happy dance. Can you tell, it doens't take a lot for me to be happy? Anybody else what to share a little success?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I checked my totals for 2012 and I spent $1000 MORE than in 2011. Oops! Some of it can be explained by scrapbooking -- tons of pages done, albums filled, started on digital, but $1000?!?!? I fell off the wagon when it comes to 12x12 paper, bought a new Big Shot, had to have some dies to justify that purchase. This year will be better, just renewing my resolve to stay out of Michaels and stick to the list when I visit my beloved LSS.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I finally had to drop my Club Scrap membership. Love their stuff, the people running the place (best customer service around), but I had to have it all!! So talk about spending $$! I'm sure my yearly total was well over that! Talk about addicition!! So, now I'm thrilled when I see more leaving my room in forms of layouts, cards etc than is coming through the door!! I just have to be making progress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't go cold turkey because I am an SU demo - only have to make my minimums though. I have so much stuff now I really only need a cute Bunny stamp, one with tulip/s, maybe a wreath. And now the mini is out I may indulge on Big Shot supplies... lol Really need to get my room organized though so I can make better use of my stuffs and my time. Oh and do I really need the SU score thingy? Have the scor-pal and seldom use it. I will be using my stash mostly this year!
Reply With Quote Likes