Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom
Question Magnetic platform pros & cons

Hi
Can anyone let me know which magnetic platform for the Big Kick that they love or hate? I think I need to bite the bullet and invest in one.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was so excited for this until I saw the pacemaker warning. My dear hubby has a pacer so I'm going to stay away but it sounds like a great idea.
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Lifestyle Crafts Genius Platform because I was tired of my cutting pads getting cut up and warped. I hate it when the cuts in the pads get embossed into my paper. The ones for the Genius look more like self-healing cutting mats and the ones that I saw during a demo had been used a lot and hadn't warped or gotten cut up. I don't think the magnetic pad is as strong as the Sizzix one, but it works fine for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpt58View Post
I was so excited for this until I saw the pacemaker warning. My dear hubby has a pacer so I'm going to stay away but it sounds like a great idea.
Kathy T
Kathy,
I am not a doctor, but I've read that the magnets have to be close to your chest in order for it to affect a pacemaker. Check with your doctor or do research online, but I would think if you were using the magnetic pad in a separate room from your husband it would be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I purchased the magnetic pad and now I have no way to use it. I thought that it would be the same size as my cuttlebug pad but no it is a smidge wider so now I am stuck with a pad that I cannot use unless I buy the big shot and I am not about to do that because I already have the cuttlebug and a cricut expression. I hope nobody else made the same silly mistake that I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

After I saw the last post, I realized I didn't say that I use the Genius pad on a Vagabond. I just tried it on my old Cuttlebug V1 and it is too wide by just a little. I read somewhere that the Sizzix magnetic pad is also too wide for the Cuttlebug, so you need one of the Sizzix brand machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

If you are talking about the Stampin Up magnetic platform for the Big Kick or Big Shot, I finally got mine! Unfortunately, Stampin' Up is still on backorder for these platforms but my really sweet Upline got me one for my birthday today!!
I have spent a good part of the evening playing with it and it is stinking COOL!
The magnet is really strong so I can put stamped sheet of cork down and put the framelit over the stamped image on the cork and it just snaps right down. It doesn't move during the rolling process at all.
I tested it on cork, coaster board, 110 lb card, cotton fabric, denim, felt, burlap, fun foam, metal/foil sheets (the same foil made for vintaj) unsure of the gauge, though.
Hardest part was trying to pick the metal sheet cut outs off of the magnetic platform, but a pair of cutter bees tweezers got them up.
Like I said, I love mine, but mine is from Stampin Up...although I do believe Sizzix makes both magnetic platforms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I had the Lifestyle Crafts Genius Platform and returned it. I prefer the Sizzix one. I love LC/QK dies and embossing folders, but their magnetic platform didn't impress me at all.

Quote:

Like I said, I love mine, but mine is from Stampin Up...although I do believe Sizzix makes both magnetic platforms.
Yes, Sizzix makes the magnetic platform sold by SU. They also make one without the SU logo. Same platform, just branded differently. The Sizzix Magnetic Platform -- with or without the SU logo -- is awesome!

With a large enough order, you can buy the SU magnetic platform for 50% off. (Load up on the neat SU-exclusive Framelits & Thinlits to use with the platform and you'll be well on your way!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I had the Lifestyle Crafts Genius Platform and returned it. I prefer the Sizzix one. I love LC/QK dies and embossing folders, but their magnetic platform didn't impress me at all.

Yes, Sizzix makes the magnetic platform sold by SU. They also make one without the SU logo. Same platform, just branded differently. The Sizzix Magnetic Platform -- with or without the SU logo -- is awesome!

With a large enough order, you can buy the SU magnetic platform for 50% off. (Load up on the neat SU-exclusive Framelits & Thinlits to use with the platform and you'll be well on your way!)
I will check it out. I didn't know Sizzix sold direct. thanks

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #10  

Despite my cancelling the order the Lifestyle Craft genius platform was shipped. I am returning it. Unlike the Sizzix you cannot place the die cutting side down.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile I hope this helps get you to see the Sizzix site

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsmomView Post
I will check it out. I didn't know Sizzix sold direct. thanks
Yes, Sizzix lets you order directly from them. Make sure you check their clearance tab for really good deals. I got a Snowman 3D Pop Up die, original cost was $39.99, the Outlet's price is $19.99 and an alphabet set of sizzlets that was $149.99 for $19.99, the alphabet's name is Pep Squad.
I have bought a lot of my dies straight from Sizzix. One of the main reasons is they will ship out the new dies to you immediately whereas the description tells you to check your local craft store in October (or whatever month).
I got the Vintage Scale die (with free matching embossing folder) and 2 brand new Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers dies arrived today (Mini Apothecary Bottles and Mini Feather and Inkwell) and they aren't in stores yet.
I see that Karen Burniston has a bunch of new Pop-n-cut inserts out too!

This may help you too, if you go to a site (you have to register for it, but it is worth it) called, "Retailmenot" and type Sizzix in the search box, you will see a list of coupons that Sizzix has available but unadvertised. I used one for free shipping on my Tim Holtz dies. I used another of their codes for 25% off an Amazon order last month. I love that site!
I hope you enjoy browsing through Sizzix.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

The Stampin Up/Sizzix magnetic platform works great. Only drawback is that it has about a 1 inch border that has no magnet, so the center magnet will pull your die in at times as you set it. I was trying to be conservative of my plastic cutting plates and use every area of it, and it would not let me place the arrow die at the edge of the plate. One more thing, Don't throw out your multi-purpose platform, you will still need it for embossing folders and thicker dies, like my cuttlebug leaves in a square...can't remember what they are called.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphyre333View Post
Yes, Sizzix lets you order directly from them. Make sure you check their clearance tab for really good deals. I got a Snowman 3D Pop Up die, original cost was $39.99, the Outlet's price is $19.99 and an alphabet set of sizzlets that was $149.99 for $19.99, the alphabet's name is Pep Squad.
I have bought a lot of my dies straight from Sizzix. One of the main reasons is they will ship out the new dies to you immediately whereas the description tells you to check your local craft store in October (or whatever month).
I got the Vintage Scale die (with free matching embossing folder) and 2 brand new Tim Holtz Movers and Shapers dies arrived today (Mini Apothecary Bottles and Mini Feather and Inkwell) and they aren't in stores yet.
I see that Karen Burniston has a bunch of new Pop-n-cut inserts out too!

This may help you too, if you go to a site (you have to register for it, but it is worth it) called, "Retailmenot" and type Sizzix in the search box, you will see a list of coupons that Sizzix has available but unadvertised. I used one for free shipping on my Tim Holtz dies. I used another of their codes for 25% off an Amazon order last month. I love that site!
I hope you enjoy browsing through Sizzix.com
I've used retailmenot, but never thought to look for Sizzix. Thanks for the hint. I wound up ordering the Magnetic platform from SU this morning. I want the ability to put the die cutting side down.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I tested the lifestyle crafts platform last year and felt that it wasn't strong enough so I never bought one. I recently got my SU platform and it's great. yes, there are gaps between the magnets but it's only a problem on the smallest of dies and it's not that big of an issue.

One thing to note is that you need to make sure your clear plastic plate is flat. If your plate is warped it doesn't sit flat on the magnetic platform and the die won't be held in place. I used crystal effects and glued a new plastic plate to my platform. It's working just fine and I'm not tempted to use that plate for anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Can you use the SU magnetic platform in the Big Shot with Spellbinder dies? Or is it strictly for Thinlits and thin card stock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMamaView Post
Can you use the SU magnetic platform in the Big Shot with Spellbinder dies? Or is it strictly for Thinlits and thin card stock?
All dies and materials that can be cut with thin dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I love it! I use a lot of the metal dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #18  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I preordered this from Marco's some time ago - the most recent update is 'shipping in Sept. 2013' to us - I'm really looking forward to getting this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Looks like the Sizzix Magnetic Platform is on backorder everywhere, anyone know where its available now at reasonable cost and shipping?
I should have preordered but have missed the boat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #20  

SU magnetic plate arrived today, so far so good.
I am going to search for a self healing pad that I can shim to the thickness of an acrylic plate. I'll let you know what I find & if it works.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I got my Sizzix magnetic platform yesterday. (Preordered my magnetic platform from Cut at Home) I had a small Olfa self healing mat that fits through the opening of my Big Shot.

To cut a wafer thin die I found this sandwich worked for me:

Thin die Adapter
Magnetic platform
Self healing mat
Card stock
Die - cutting side down
Clear acrylic plate

Think I will like this magnetic platform. The magnetic 'pull' is strong even through the self healing mat. I like to fussy cut. Also, the die needs to be cutting side down if you are using a coordinating die with your stamped image.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 09-19-2013 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

P.S. I also have a Cuttlebug so have all the plates.

Another sandwich that worked for me with my Big Shot:

Magnetic platform
Self healing mat
Card stock
Die-cutting side down
Cuttlebug 'C' plate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I finally got my Stampin up platform yesterday and I love it! I love being able to position multiple dies without having them move. My cutting plates are pretty bowed but that did not seem to be a problem at all. If there is a downside to the magnetic platform, I haven't found it yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have had my SU magnetic platform since they first came out- I put it on my first order! I have been in love with it ever since. I have used it almost everytime I have crafted!
The smallest dies will move a bit and grab to the nearest magnet but I let it move and then position my paper and framelit. Works perfect! I have gotten much better cuts for my stamped items than ever before!!!

I do have pictures on my blog if anyone is interested...I won't link here due to board rules and I am a demo - but it is pretty basic and easy!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #25  

The self healing mat I had stashed in my drawer with a cardboard shim underneath it works perfectly!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
I have had my SU magnetic platform since they first came out- I put it on my first order! I have been in love with it ever since. I have used it almost everytime I have crafted!
The smallest dies will move a bit and grab to the nearest magnet but I let it move and then position my paper and framelit. Works perfect! I have gotten much better cuts for my stamped items than ever before!!!

I do have pictures on my blog if anyone is interested...I won't link here due to board rules and I am a demo - but it is pretty basic and easy!!!!!
I didn't have a problem with the spacing of the magnets until this morning. I'm working on fall cards and using a non-SU die for a small branch. When I put the die on the paper on the mag. platform, the die started spinning because the die couldn't decide which magnet to grab onto. It was kind of funny watching it spin back and forth. Not an issue, just a little funny.

Not sure I get the use of the self-healing mat. Is it to use instead of a crease pad?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also unsure of why you need a self healing mat - I only used my platform once and didn't use one ----and it was fine. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I didn't have a problem with the spacing of the magnets until this morning. I'm working on fall cards and using a non-SU die for a small branch. When I put the die on the paper on the mag. platform, the die started spinning because the die couldn't decide which magnet to grab onto. It was kind of funny watching it spin back and forth. Not an issue, just a little funny.

Not sure I get the use of the self-healing mat. Is it to use instead of a crease pad?
I use the self healing mat instead of an acrylic plate. No bending and it works like a charm

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile SU Magnetic Platform

Quote:

Originally Posted by philsmomView Post
SU magnetic plate arrived today, so far so good.
I am going to search for a self healing pad that I can shim to the thickness of an acrylic plate. I'll let you know what I find & if it works.
Hmmmmm...now you have me wondering....I purchased the Genius platform with the two self healing mats. I didn't like the platform. It's way too long. They should shorten it some. So I purchased the SU Magnetic platform. Love, love, love it. It's perfect! However...I'm now thinking that I can get my DH to cut down the Genius self healing mats to fit the SU platform (it's only rubber, right) and I may not need acrylic plates for cutting and warping again! I must go play and try that "sandwich" out.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Okay... Soooo... I tried different layers with the SU Magnetic Platform. Since I wasn't using the Genius self healing mat and magnetic platform, I tried the thicker mat with the layers of (1) SU platform, (2) then die (face up), (3) paper and the (4) thicker self healing Genius mat. Too thick.. wouldn't go in Big Shot. So then I tried the same with the thinner mat...not thick enough. So then I popped on one acrylic plate (Big Shot) and it worked like a charm! So my sandwich is (1) SU Magnetic Platform; (2) die--face up; (3) Paper; (4) the THIN Genius self healing mat; (5) Big Shot Acrylic plate. I'm sure the acrylic plates won't curl anymore. WooWooooo...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonneilView Post
I purchased the magnetic pad and now I have no way to use it. I thought that it would be the same size as my cuttlebug pad but no it is a smidge wider so now I am stuck with a pad that I cannot use unless I buy the big shot and I am not about to do that because I already have the cuttlebug and a cricut expression. I hope nobody else made the same silly mistake that I did.
Can you cut the pad?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

So, is there a magnetic platform in existence that fits the Cuttlebug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
Can you cut the pad?
I wouldn't think you can cut the magnetic pad. I am going to try to cut the rubber mats that came with the Genius Magnetic Set. It came with two sizes of self-healing mats to use wit the magnet pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

On the Magnetic Platform (bottom) it states 'This is not a cutting surface', that means if you do not put an acrylic plate/self healing mat between the cutting portion of the die, the MP will be cut into. The cardstock/DSP still needs an acrylic plate/self healing mat between it and the MP.

Use the Magnetic Platform like you use the Multi-Purpose Platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
So, is there a magnetic platform in existence that fits the Cuttlebug?
I would like to know this, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm loving the magnetic platform. Greatest thing since slice bread! Don't know why it took so long to come up with it. I use it in a big shot, but I would think it would fit in a cuttlebug, but haven't tried it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #37  

I am using a self healing mat on top of the SU magnetic platform instead of an acrylic plate. I love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I would like to know this, too.
Me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

another positive vote for the SU/sizzix magnetic pad -- I finally received mine and LOVE it!! No more trying to keep my dies in place with post it notes - it really works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

I have all three machines, Cuttlebug, Sizzix and Big Kick. The magnetic pad does not fit in any one of my machines. I do not understand why it was sold as the new wonder product when it is not able to work in any machine. I agree. I am now stuck with a product that I paid a fair amount of money for when on a fixed income.
Reply With Quote Likes