Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU - Seriously??

I have been waiting for my SU Holiday flyer to arrive in the mail, because I have had my eye on the Festive Flurry Stamp set I have been seeing here in the gallery. So cute.

Until I saw the price - really $57.95 to bundle??? (Cdn)

I started out stamping with SU, but their prices have gotten outrageous compared to some of the other companies out there. These prices are going to send their customers to their competitors. I have always liked SU, but they are just not competitive any more. That is really outrageous.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is becoming prohibitively expensive. I still love SU, still my main source of supplies because I'm not much of a shopper, online or otherwise.

That being said, I rarely order unless I am hosting a workshop and have some hostess money to spend. Fortunately there isn't a lot that I want this time around. I thought I might like the snowflake set too, but I feel it is too chunky for me. I like them lacier and the old snowflake set works for me. Even though there are no dies.

I don't see why the Canadian prices are so high, the age old question I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, if you check out the main catalogue the prices for stamp sets have actually gone down since I started with SU. We certainly pay the price for living in the greatest country in the world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel this way sometimes, and I am not even Canadian!! I love looking at SU! stamp sets, but I almost never buy them new. I love buying old SU! sets from demos when they retire, or from Ebay, or from conventions, if someone happens to have a table of retired sets. The prices are sooooo much more reasonable this way, and I don't have to pay the shipping AND tax. Shipping only, on Ebay, and tax only, from conventions.

I do compare them to my favourite companies, and always end up buying from other companies (for new sets). For example, it would have cost me (not a demo) a total (including shipping and handling) $16 something to get the Alphabet photopolymer set. But if I wait for a sale and combine my purchase with other items to meet the free shipping threshold, I can get a same-sized set for $12, or even at full retail price for $15 (a Paper Smooches set from I Heart Papers).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 278 Likes on 100 Posts

Unfortunately, SU is well aware that their prices are high--and they don't care! They know that their #1 customer is their DEMO.

The Hobby DEMO is just trying to find items she can buy to get to her $300 quarterly quota total, which can get to be hard the longer you hang on.
BOTTOM LINE = The Hobby DEMO is buying the big ticket items.

The Regular DEMO is actually demonstrating the product, so she thinks she HAS to buy the newest/coolest stuff. The Regular DEMO is buying this bundle to show. But (alas) it will be retired in the blink of an eye and replaced with ANOTHER snowflake set that looks vaguely the same as the old one--except for one slight difference: It's MORE expensive than the last one!
BOTTOM LINE = The Regular DEMO is buying the big ticket items.

Stop the Madness!!!!!

SU doesn't need to market really to anyone beyond that. They have their guaranteed sales. And they don't need low prices or bargains for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out Hero Arts. They are doing some great one/two stamps with dies to match. Price point around $9.99. I've realized I don't need 5 snowflakes and 5 matching dies----I likely just need one----so the larger cost/larger 'package' isn't what I'll use long-term, and costs more money.

Archivers online has many of their items (I think I got free shipping, too).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I feel this way sometimes, and I am not even Canadian!! I love looking at SU! stamp sets, but I almost never buy them new. I love buying old SU! sets from demos when they retire, or from Ebay, or from conventions, if someone happens to have a table of retired sets. The prices are sooooo much more reasonable this way, and I don't have to pay the shipping AND tax. Shipping only, on Ebay, and tax only, from conventions.

I do compare them to my favourite companies, and always end up buying from other companies (for new sets). For example, it would have cost me (not a demo) a total (including shipping and handling) $16 something to get the Alphabet photopolymer set. But if I wait for a sale and combine my purchase with other items to meet the free shipping threshold, I can get a same-sized set for $12, or even at full retail price for $15 (a Paper Smooches set from I Heart Papers).

I, too, buy a lot from 'retired sales' that demos have. The price is right, and it stretches my craft dollar! I rarely to never need new. I'm noticing that many new sets in the catty and mini's look nearly the same as an older version of a Stampin Up set that I have. I'm fine with that----I'm not compelled to purchase the newer set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I, too, buy a lot from 'retired sales' that demos have. The price is right, and it stretches my craft dollar! I rarely to never need new. I'm noticing that many new sets in the catty and mini's look nearly the same as an older version of a Stampin Up set that I have. I'm fine with that----I'm not compelled to purchase the newer set.
This also allows me to buy some of the sets I coveted a decade ago when I didn't have enough spending money to buy them! I love searching Ebay for SU! sets by year. I LOVE some of the artwork from the 1990s.

I recently bought $40 worth of previously owned stamps from a lady who never stamped - she only bought them because her sister was a demo and she wanted to support her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Check out Hero Arts. They are doing some great one/two stamps with dies to match. Price point around $9.99. I've realized I don't need 5 snowflakes and 5 matching dies----I likely just need one----so the larger cost/larger 'package' isn't what I'll use long-term, and costs more money.

Archivers online has many of their items (I think I got free shipping, too).
I totally agree with you. One stamp and one die would be enough for me too.
That is why I like to order from different companies online. Hand pick what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll start out by saying that I'm not a Demo and I never have been. I love the quality of SU stamps (cut deep, long lasting) - but I too can't afford the price of their new sets any more. I have also noticed that the style of their stamps really hasn't changed much over the years. After years of stamping, I have hundreds of stamps of all kinds (trying to weed the ones I don't use at this point). I will find stamps from other companies that strike me as new/different - but I seldom find that in SU anymore. It is interesting that others seem to feel the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Last year I bought a miniature snowflake die set by Tim Holtz (movers and shapers) and I have used it a lot! It has two styles of snowflakes that are two different sizes.

I bought My Digitial Studio when SU dropped the price to $19.95 and I can get more bang for my buck buying stamp sets that are digital (papers are much cheaper, too, even though you have to print them. If you only need a 4" square you only have to print a 4" square and you never run out of your favorite papers!).

I, too, think SU's prices are horrible.

(I keep asking "Do we really NEED yet another flower stamp?")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post

For those who have been stamping for ages, I can see where you may not want more flowers or stamps may seem similar to previous designs, but for newer stampers, we don't have the old sets. Some of us don't even have older catalogs to know what trends have been popular or what a new set may look like in comparison to a retired set. SU is trying new things - Paper Pumpkin, photopolymer sets, customer-designed sets through In With You voting site, etc. that there are lots of new customers and new demos, so it's good to have some of the classic, popular designs (whether it's more flowers or another Santa set) around for us to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
For those who have been stamping for ages, I can see where you may not want more flowers or stamps may seem similar to previous designs, but for newer stampers, we don't have the old sets. Some of us don't even have older catalogs to know what trends have been popular or what a new set may look like in comparison to a retired set. SU is trying new things - Paper Pumpkin, photopolymer sets, customer-designed sets through In With You voting site, etc. that there are lots of new customers and new demos, so it's good to have some of the classic, popular designs (whether it's more flowers or another Santa set) around for us to enjoy.

That is a very good point. I forget that some haven't been around for years. Maybe we sound jaded, sorry about that. I can't believe I have been stamping since 2004! Longest 'fad' I have ever got involved in

And you're right, SU is trying different things/products all the time. Whether or not the cloth, clay and jewelry stick around, they are giving it a whirl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just pointing out that the Festive Flurry set is HUGE. That's why the bundle seems so expensive. The framelits are the same price as all the others and are more expensive than the sets, which makes the bundles seem so high. And the Ornament Keepsakes set from last year is still available - it is even more expensive since it has a lot of stamps and is no longer bundled. But on the other hand, there are lots of cute sets for a much lower price point. The bundles that contain punches are at a lower price as well. And the bigger ticket items are great for your free hostess dollars or when you earn a 1/2 price hostess item. That's what I am waiting for to get my Festive Flurry bundle.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm waiting for hopefully several years from now when SU! photopolymer sets have become popular enough to begin appearing on Ebay or on my demo's retirement tables!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I'm waiting for hopefully several years from now when SU! photopolymer sets have become popular enough to begin appearing on Ebay or on my demo's retirement tables!!!
I love these too. Both the price point and the space savings is great. I have all 6 sets in ONE of the new storage cases for the wood mounted sets. So far none have retired though.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
I love these too. Both the price point and the space savings is great. I have all 6 sets in ONE of the new storage cases for the wood mounted sets. So far none have retired though.
There are six sets?? I only know of the one alphabet set!! Where are all the others?? I have both the catalog and the Holiday mini, and didn't notice any photopolymer sets!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

They aren't in the catalogs because there's new ones being added all the time!

Photopolymer Stamps - Stampin' Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ooooh, how cool is that!!! I am definitely looking forward to finding them on Ebay!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for sharing that link, I had no idea! SU really needs to promote these sets a little more! I think that sailboat set will be on my wish list.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
Just pointing out that the Festive Flurry set is HUGE. That's why the bundle seems so expensive. The framelits are the same price as all the others and are more expensive than the sets, which makes the bundles seem so high. And the Ornament Keepsakes set from last year is still available - it is even more expensive since it has a lot of stamps and is no longer bundled. But on the other hand, there are lots of cute sets for a much lower price point. The bundles that contain punches are at a lower price as well. And the bigger ticket items are great for your free hostess dollars or when you earn a 1/2 price hostess item. That's what I am waiting for to get my Festive Flurry bundle.

Excellent points, however, I think I see posters saying they don't need/want that large of any bundle of anything. Perhaps these big sets are selling for SU. I don't know. Am not a demo. Am more interested in one stamp/die at a $9.99 pricepoint. Might be a good suggestion to pass along, for any demos who have connections. In order to stretch my stamp dollars, I would never buy something like that. Too much of the same thing at too high of a pricepoint.

In Festive Flurry I believe the snowflakes are roughly the same, just different sizes. I believe the same was true of the Ornament Keepsakes----multiple ornaments that look roughly the same. I'd be surprised if anyone bought them???????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love older SU sets. I'm always on the hunt for them. I have a wish list for the older SU sets. The big catalog that came out only has 1 item I want. And if SU has the 70% in Nov, I'll pick it up. I have the basic die shapes, square, circle ect. and that's all I want. I'll just fussy cut anything else. I did the Hero Art Joy/Snowman stamp and die set. My problem is that I love the SU ink pads. I've been buying them on the BST board. I want a few of the new colors, maybe Santa will surprise me.

Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #23  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
For those who have been stamping for ages, I can see where you may not want more flowers or stamps may seem similar to previous designs, but for newer stampers, we don't have the old sets. Some of us don't even have older catalogs to know what trends have been popular or what a new set may look like in comparison to a retired set. SU is trying new things - Paper Pumpkin, photopolymer sets, c ustomer-designed sets through In With You voting site , etc. that there are lots of new customers and new demos, so it's good to have some of the classic, popular designs (whether it's more flowers or another Santa set) around for us to enjoy.
Where is this? I would like to vote!

And I agree, the snowflake stamp set & die bundle seems quite expensive. *sigh* But it & the paper that goes with it are the ONE thing in the holiday mini that makes me drool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
Thanks for sharing that link, I had no idea! SU really needs to promote these sets a little more! I think that sailboat set will be on my wish list.
I try in my monthly newletter but with all the new products and promotions and whatnot, I think it can make people develop adhd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

In With You Stamp Set Design Challenge - by IdeaScale | Recent

You can vote or submit your own designs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Well, I'm Canadian and I love SU. I'm willing to pay the prices they charge because I love their images more than anything else on the market, with a few exceptions. I love Flourishes and a few Penny Black sets. None of the online companies/ones that are 'members' here have images I like. I'm on the fence re: this snowflake set, I admit, but not due to cost - I prefer my snowflakes more delicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

I'll be buying the snowflake stamps and dies as soon as I get a chance to do so. I, too, love SU products (except for maybe the designer papers) and will gladly pay a little more for a product that I know will almost always be high quality. I was spoiled by the low price of clear stamps and resisted buying SU stamps for a long time, but realized that when I compared apples to apples (wood-mount to wood-mount), SU really wasn't that much more expensive. A quick search on the google machine came up with a few other snowflake die sets priced from $17-30 for fewer than the 4 dies in the SU set, and this didn't include stamps...so I'm ok paying $40-50 for both from SU.

I guess it's just another matter of personal preference though. I prefer to buy stamps that look like professional illustrations, so I tend to gravitate toward SU, Northwoods, or PTI. If I wanted the look of a hand-drawn cartoon or someone's handwriting, I'd just draw or use my own and save my money for the kind of images I can't replicate myself. (I'm not knocking these kind of stamps either though...I have been known to buy these types on occasion too!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

In Festive Flurry I believe the snowflakes are roughly the same, just different sizes. I believe the same was true of the Ornament Keepsakes----multiple ornaments that look roughly the same. I'd be surprised if anyone bought them???????
One of the points of having the different sizes is to be able to layer them. Did anyone else get drawn into making the super complicated ornament that was on last year's mini? The Laura/Gail Version that my friend and I put together was minus at least one layer of snowflake and we didn't add the tulle. I'm pretty sure we used the ornament punch for part of this instead of die cutting each, but the red parts are multiple passes with one of the framelits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Actually, I was thinking about this thread earlier today, and remembered something. A few months ago I bought a stamp set with matching dies from a company other than SU and the price for both was $54. And these were clear stamps, not rubber. So SU's price of $46 doesn't seem so bad to me. Of course, this other company offers free shipping above a certain amount, and SU does not, so that evens the price up a bit.

However, I realize that this thread was started by a Canadian. I'm now really understanding the difference in pricing here. $57 doesn't sound so steep compared to what another company charged me, but it is awfully steep compared to what U.S. customers pay. I can really understand why Canadians get frustrated with SU's prices.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I won't even entertain the thought of browsing a SU catalogue. Why? I decided I 'needed' the Bitty Banners Framelits because a friend had given me the matching stamps. Silly me! I didn't ask the price before ordering ... 5c short of $28 for three tiny dies. I have seen similar (not exactly the same, but close enough) for better than half that price. Lesson learned! P.S. I'm in Australia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
One of the points of having the different sizes is to be able to layer them. Did anyone else get drawn into making the super complicated ornament that was on last year's mini? The Laura/Gail Version that my friend and I put together was minus at least one layer of snowflake and we didn't add the tulle. I'm pretty sure we used the ornament punch for part of this instead of die cutting each, but the red parts are multiple passes with one of the framelits.
Absolutely! I made (well maybe not dozens) but lots of them. They were very popular with the recipients. For me, that particular bundle was a good buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #32  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love the ornament bundle from last year- which is still available this year as well, just not included in the holiday catalog.
The ornaments really weren't hard to make at all....my son, who was 12 at the time, made several of them. His own style of them of course, his had a deer on it, but he was able to make it all by himself.

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: So easy, a KID can do it!!!!!!!

His isn't the fanciest but once you get the basic design down, you can add your own touches. Oh and his color choices are not what I would have chosen but he loved it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

I really wish the holiday designs that are still available from last year were in the main catalog. I keep forgetting about them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree! I forget that those are still current! The keepsake ornaments were one of the best items I have ever gotten!!! I have done a fourth of july ornament with them, and a halloween ornament with them! Feel free to look on my blog for those too! Just search Keepsake ornaments and it comes up.
They aren't limited to just Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by spginjaxView Post
I really wish the holiday designs that are still available from last year were in the main catalog. I keep forgetting about them!
My SU demonstrator gave me a flyer that has all the carryover holiday sets. I just keep the flyer inside my catalog for quick reference.

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

SU really hit it out of the park with last year's Holiday Catalog. This year - not so much for me. The snowflake set is very much like 3 or 4 old SU snowflake sets I have. I can get 3 years of Spellbinders snowflake sets on sale for less than the Festive Flurry bundle. I can't find anything I MUST have and only a few papers I wish I could have in this cattie. I have many beautiful SU Christmas sets from prior years & just need to sit down & decide which of those to use this year. Su has certainly helped make it a more cost effective Christmas at our house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
Last year I bought a miniature snowflake die set by Tim Holtz (movers and shapers) and I have used it a lot! It has two styles of snowflakes that are two different sizes.

I bought My Digitial Studio when SU dropped the price to $19.95 and I can get more bang for my buck buying stamp sets that are digital (papers are much cheaper, too, even though you have to print them. If you only need a 4" square you only have to print a 4" square and you never run out of your favorite papers!).

I, too, think SU's prices are horrible.

I switched to SU Digital as well because the price of the stamps were too high especially if I had to buy an entire stamp set just to get the one stamp I like. Also, I make and sell 5x7 cards but SU caters to A2 sizes, so I purchase things like embossing folders and dies from other companies to accommodate larger cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a look at the new festive catalogue today (hard copy! Courtesy of my demo) and wasn't blown away by much, although of course there were lots of stamps, papers and ribbon I wouldn't say no to if they were offered to me ;)

What I find rather annoying is the lack of localisation in the catalogues here in the UK. Obviously it's easier for SU to copy basically the same catalogue over to the UK from the US, but then you have (a) Halloween sets (b) Thanksgiving sets and (c) Christmas sets either saying "Happy Holidays" (which to me sounds like an (almost) exclusively American turn of phrase) or with very sentimental Christian verses. None of which really translate very well to the culture here, imo.

Not to mention that I really liked having the "usual" festive stuff in the main catalogue, with extras in the Sept mini :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I wish SU would offer one nice stamp and a die to go with it and price it reasonably. I would be more apt to buy that. Not everyone wants 5 or 6 of the same kind of stamp like the other person mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by KgeansView Post
Unfortunately, SU is well aware that their prices are high--and they don't care! They know that their #1 customer is their DEMO.

The Hobby DEMO is just trying to find items she can buy to get to her $300 quarterly quota total, which can get to be hard the longer you hang on.
BOTTOM LINE = The Hobby DEMO is buying the big ticket items.

The Regular DEMO is actually demonstrating the product, so she thinks she HAS to buy the newest/coolest stuff. The Regular DEMO is buying this bundle to show. But (alas) it will be retired in the blink of an eye and replaced with ANOTHER snowflake set that looks vaguely the same as the old one--except for one slight difference: It's MORE expensive than the last one!
BOTTOM LINE = The Regular DEMO is buying the big ticket items.

Stop the Madness!!!!!

SU doesn't need to market really to anyone beyond that. They have their guaranteed sales. And they don't need low prices or bargains for that.
YEP! To every thing you said!! I agree totally.
Reply With Quote Likes