Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electronic cutting systems

no one in our local craft stores knows squat about these things.

i would like some info on a electronic cutting system. i do not want to buy cartridges. i rarely find a even a stamp set where i use everything but at least those are $40 to $90 dolllars. i want to use the files i see to purchase online. are there different file types or just one and are they all compatable with any machine? do they also draw the "stamped" image on the cut out.

these are very pricey, in my opinion so i need to do some brain storming. i also didnt realize there were so many: eclips, silouhette, cricut, pazzle, and more.

oh help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know a lot about these things- I do know that the cricut you have to buy cartridges for in order to cut things- you used to be able to use software called SureCutsALot but now the company has changed it to where it wont work with it any more.. My sister got a Silouhette Cameo for christmas and she loves it..she buys the files online and they are LOADS cheaper than the cricut cartridges are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

does it draw on the cuts also?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I recommned looking at the comparison chart at paperthreads and playing with Make the Cut software demo. No matter what you decide I would recommend buying MTC.

MTC can draw stamped images and cut them out. This link has a sample of a drawing The final Drawing .... it worked great ....... - Make The Cut! Forum

Hope this helps. I have several machines and truly like them all. The only machine I wouldn't recommend is the Cricut because it doesn't work with 3rd party software.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I would highly recommend the Silhouette Cameo.

Its very versatile and can cut files of different formats including studio, svg, dxf, gsd. You can get these files for free or at a very small price at various places online.

It can also sketch images in any of these same file formats if you change the blade to a marker. This does need an additional pen holder attachment but its very reasonably priced.

The Cameo can cut a variety of materials from patterned paper, cardstock of different thickness, vinyl, fabric, vellum. It cannot cut chipboard however so if thats something you need, you might want to think some more.

The Cameo comes with a free version of the Silhouette Studio software which is good for cutting studio, dxf and gsd files. You can find quite a few converters online to convert svg files (the most popular format for cutting files) into one of these formats. But if you want a lot of flexibility in making your own designs and using any format, you can upgrade to the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition for $50.

The Cameo also works with Make the Cut and Sure Cuts A Lot (MTC and SCAL) softwares if you decide to purchase one of these.

I have scanned all my stamps and converted them to cutting files so I don't use traditional dies anymore. My Cameo can cut shapes for me and I can stamp on these. The scans are to be used for your personal use only and not distributed online since that would violate the stamp company's copyrights.

Lastly, the Cameo has a print-and-cut feature. You do need a printer for this but you can print a design on your printer and then cut it with your Cameo. I don't use this feature since I don't have a printer but I have seen quite a few pretty cards made with it.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
no one in our local craft stores knows squat about these things.

i would like some info on a electronic cutting system. i do not want to buy cartridges. i rarely find a even a stamp set where i use everything but at least those are $40 to $90 dolllars. i want to use the files i see to purchase online. are there different file types or just one and are they all compatable with any machine? do they also draw the "stamped" image on the cut out.

these are very pricey, in my opinion so i need to do some brain storming. i also didnt realize there were so many: eclips, silouhette, cricut, pazzle, and more.

oh help.
I hope you will consider the Pazzles Inspiration Creative Cutter. It is a cartridge-free system. You can design your own images to cut, or you can find them online, or you can get them from our Craft Room. The Pazzles Craft Room is the most affordable way to get images to cut. We add new files every week, and at this time (June 2012) we have over 4000 images available. Subscriptions are $19.95 per month, and come with more than images: you get extra video tutorials, extra support, and tons of project ideas.

Unlike the Silhouette and the Cricuts, the Inspiration cuts the largest variety of materials available, including chipboard, vinyl, magnet paper, sticker paper, fabric, cake, and our own rubber stamp material so you can make your own stamps. (I like to put it this way: if they can cut it, we can cut it!) We also have several tools available for the machine, including a pen-holding tool, a piercer, an embosser, and an engraver.

The retail price is $599, but you can sign up for a two year subscription to Pazzles Craft Room and get the Inspiration for $99 plus shipping. Be sure to check that out. [For some reason it won't let me post the URL, but it's pazzles dot com/inspiration-for-99/ ]

And one more thing -- the Inspiration comes with our own Inspiration Studio Software, but unlike other machines, we won't void your warranty for using 3rd-party software. If you want to use Adobe Illustrator CS5, Sure Cuts A Lot, or Make-the-Cut... that's your choice! Even more, the basic version of the software will import Illustrator files. We also have the Inspiration Studio Pro software that will import SVGs and allow you to make your own rhinestone design templates.

If you have any questions, feel free to write here, or email [email protected], or call 1-866-PAZZLES between 8am and 5pm MST (9am to 6pm central). We welcome any and all questions -- we want everyone to have the best experience they possibly can! Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by PazzlesView Post
I hope you will consider the Pazzles Inspiration Creative Cutter. It is a cartridge-free system. You can design your own images to cut, or you can find them online, or you can get them from our Craft Room. The Pazzles Craft Room is the most affordable way to get images to cut. We add new files every week, and at this time (June 2012) we have over 4000 images available. Subscriptions are $19.95 per month, and come with more than images: you get extra video tutorials, extra support, and tons of project ideas.

Unlike the Silhouette and the Cricuts, the Inspiration cuts the largest variety of materials available, including chipboard, vinyl, magnet paper, sticker paper, fabric, cake, and our own rubber stamp material so you can make your own stamps. (I like to put it this way: if they can cut it, we can cut it!) We also have several tools available for the machine, including a pen-holding tool, a piercer, an embosser, and an engraver.

The retail price is $599, but you can sign up for a two year subscription to Pazzles Craft Room and get the Inspiration for $99 plus shipping. Be sure to check that out. [For some reason it won't let me post the URL, but it's pazzles dot com/inspiration-for-99/ ]

And one more thing -- the Inspiration comes with our own Inspiration Studio Software, but unlike other machines, we won't void your warranty for using 3rd-party software. If you want to use Adobe Illustrator CS5, Sure Cuts A Lot, or Make-the-Cut... that's your choice! Even more, the basic version of the software will import Illustrator files. We also have the Inspiration Studio Pro software that will import SVGs and allow you to make your own rhinestone design templates.

If you have any questions, feel free to write here, or email [email protected], or call 1-866-PAZZLES between 8am and 5pm MST (9am to 6pm central). We welcome any and all questions -- we want everyone to have the best experience they possibly can! Hope this helps!
I have a Cricut Expression and it serves it's purpose. But having been exposed to Pazzles Inspiration, that will be my go-to machine in the event my Cricut bites the dust. I've seen witnessed the Silhouette & other machines in action and have nothing against them. Just think the Pazzles would work better for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiescView Post
I have a Cricut Expression and it serves it's purpose. But having been exposed to Pazzles Inspiration, that will be my go-to machine in the event my Cricut bites the dust. I've seen witnessed the Silhouette & other machines in action and have nothing against them. Just think the Pazzles would work better for me.
Glad to hear it, Randa! Would it be wrong of me to wish your bug bites the dust sooner rather than later? LOL! [No offense, Provo Craft!] So glad you'll be joining us!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I highly recommend you check out the "Zing" Google it and you won't be dissapointed.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by PazzlesView Post
I'm intrigued by the engraver. How durable is it & what kind of things does it engrave?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

oh my garsh. how will i ever decide. and i want it to do everything and be easy to use. it took me forever to decide on the big shot pro and thats pretty self explanitory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I am in the same boat as you! Between recommendations and research here is what I have it narrowed down to:

Cameo - Supposedly much easier, it is nearly ready to just plug in and use. You CAN learn to do more but you don't have to in the beginning. There are lots of cut files through their website and the monthly subscription makes them super affordable. Great for intricate cuts and print and cut The cons? It doesn't do anything heavy at all including thin chipboard or multiple sheets or cardstock. It takes a third party attachment to emboss.

Bosskut Gazelle - Highly rated by most reviewers. Cuts up to 12" wide paper. Does well with intricate cuts. They just upgraded the print and cut system (so don't buy used). Will do chipboard and even balsa wood. Does emboss and you can easily replace the blade with a pen. The cons? It has a higher learning curve. All these capabilities mean lots of options which means lots of things you need to set/adjust. It tends to be noisy. It is pink if that bugs you.

The KNK Zing - made to work with MTC software. Good support in their forum. Cuts up to 14" and has more pressure so in theory it does even better with heavier materials. It does engraving and "distressing" whatever that means. Cons? It seems to be less reviewed by objective sources (ie not the MTC forum), I haven't heard much about the print and cut capability, it seems to need more attachments for everything you want to do (pen, emboss, engrave, etc).

They all allow you to design your own images.

I am leaning toward the Gazelle because I want to design my own and I want I be able to cut a wide range of materials. The Zing is also still on my list. On paper it seems like a better choice but I am having a hard time finding reviews which makes me a little nervous. I plan to download free versions of the two software programs to try.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Also I am posting from my phone so I apologize for any typos I didn't catch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

tiffany,

you did lots of research, thanks. in my mind this is what i think i want it to do. i am not even sure i know what they are capable of doing. i do not like to stamp and then try to get the die to match up, never does it to my liking, so i would like something to cut out a "stamped" image. either one my my stamps that i scanned or a purchased file. didnt realize they could emboss, edges? or like what happens when you use and embossing folder. i like chipboard, so i guess something that cuts that would be a plus. do they score? i see how this could be useful for lettering and being able to size it to whatever size you need.

are there good you tube videos out there? is there a site to go to that showcases some projects? do i need this? because they are pricey and unlike a treadmill you cant use it as a coat rack (really i use my treadmill, but my weight machine, i use to hang dry delicates) pazzles has a pretty good deal with a subscription or is it. uuuuugggggghhhhh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by anirokView Post
I'm intrigued by the engraver. How durable is it & what kind of things does it engrave?
Anirok, the engraver is very durable! It's diamond-tipped! There are many things you can engrave, including thin metals, plastics/acrylic, glass, wood, and even mirrors. Here's our store page with a video of the engraver. Here also is a tutorial on using the engraving tool. And here are some more engraving ideas in a blog from our founder.

It should be noted that the engraving mat is useful, but not required when using the engraving tool. A lot of people like it for creating positioning templates and it is available for purchase, but not included with nor required by the tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
i do not like to stamp and then try to get the die to match up, never does it to my liking, so i would like something to cut out a "stamped" image. either one my my stamps that i scanned or a purchased file. didnt realize they could emboss, edges? or like what happens when you use and embossing folder. i like chipboard, so i guess something that cuts that would be a plus. do they score? i see how this could be useful for lettering and being able to size it to whatever size you need.

are there good you tube videos out there? is there a site to go to that showcases some projects? do i need this? because they are pricey and unlike a treadmill you cant use it as a coat rack (really i use my treadmill, but my weight machine, i use to hang dry delicates) pazzles has a pretty good deal with a subscription or is it. uuuuugggggghhhhh.
Hi, Lori! Here's more information and videos on stamping and embossing with the Inspiration!

EMBOSSING:
The Pazzles embossing tool store page has a video; our YouTube page has a tutorial; and one of our official instructors, Klo Oxford, has an example on her personal [not-official] blog.

Klo teaches a live class via our Craft Room every week. They are super-casual and you can ask questions to Klo via the text chat and she will answer them in the live streaming video! My point of mentioning that is this: in the past she did a live tutorial on making your own embossing folders using the Inspiration. The video archive is available to Craft Room members, so you would be able to watch her archived tutorials, if that's something you wanted to try.

STAMPING:
We have a tutorial for creating cut-outs for your stamps in the Craft Room. Unfortunately, the video is only available for members.

You can also use the Inspiration to make your own stamps with our stamp kit. Here's an example make-your-own-stamp project from our founder.

Our YouTube channel is Pazzles Official YouTube. I hope our videos can show you all the fun features available with the Inspiration. Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Default thanks

i am going to watch these videos later this evening. but right now its close enough to 5 o'clock :-) and its 100 degrees, so i think i am taking my cocktail and happy hiney to the pool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

This is my thread where I started off talking about the original (red) Sizzix that I own, and ended up talking more about the electronic versions, so that might answer some of your questions. I haven't honestly researched Pazzles much, and it looks like there are some great resources for that!

As far as I know, the Gazelle will do both edge and 'embossing folder' style embossing. Like any of these electronic die cutters, there is less pressure than in a manual machine, so it might not be as deep/clear of an impression. Again, I don't have one so I am going on what others have said.

As far as cutting out stamped images, you can do what is called print and cut with digital images, where you print out the image with 'registration marks' that the die cutter reads and cuts around. The Cameo is supposed to be great and easy for this, but the Gazelle just upgraded their system, so I have heard it is good too. My plan is to make files by scanning my physical stamps into the software and drawing an outline around them (with the software). You would probably ideally die cut and then stamp, but with the Gazelle at least you can choose your origination point. So you put your paper in and you put your blade exactly where you want it to start, making this kind of cutting /seem/ easy.

There are several videos - search YouTube for "Gazelle die cut" or something similar. You can also look for the BossKut forum or the Make The Cut forum for actual users - which I obviously am not yet.

I feel silly trying to answer questions when I don't actually have the machine - maybe others who have one can do a better job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Here's a vote for the Pazzle Inspiration!! I've had mine for a few years now and LOVE IT!!! I haven't played much with the engraving tool...but I have used the print feature! I've cut multiple mini albums out of chipboard and my son uses it to make car decals out of vinyl! I've made my own embossing folders and also rubber stamps with it! I LOVE the fact that it cuts up to 12 inches (I can make my own "shaped" paper)!!
There are also some great sites out there to buy files from...if you decide on a Pazzle, pm me and I can give you some of them!
Good Luck on your decision!
PS - the Pazzle uses .wpc files...

Last edited by sarahwms; 06-29-2012 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: added more details
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

For the Zing check out Sandy's sight Digital Die Cutting With Sandy McCauley ...she has lots of videos on how to do different techniques.

IMO embossing on digital die cutters doesn't turn out as good as using the embossing folders. However, the Pazzle embossing mat helps (I use it on my other machines)

I've owned and still own some of the machines being discussed (except a Gazzelle) and can tell you of all these machines the Zing and Pazzle seem more sturdy. For cutting thicker material, I always use my Zing or KNK Maxx.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Default why so many?

ok, this is the tackiest question: what do you all do for a living and can you hook me up?

buying my big shot pro was a huge investment for me. now looking at these electronic cutting systems they are easily twice that amount. what is the reason behind owning 2, 3 or more of these systems. for upwards of $500 i want it to clean my house, too. i hadnt dreamed that were so expensive. isnt there one machine that will do all i need?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I don't actually have any of them, except the original red Sizzix which I got for $20 ;). I have been researching the electronic systems and have some Christmas and birthday money which is going toward whatever one (ONE!!) I get - but that won't be for another month at least.

I think a lot of times people watch for deals. The Gazelle is on sale with a pre-order price for right now, so it's more like $400. But still!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I am still on the fence on replacing my Cricut Expression... I thought I wanted the Cameo, then I read about the Gazelle, now I saw something on the Black Cat Lynx, but for the life of me I can not find where to buy it...
and from my point of view.. i don't care if it is pink with purple and blue polka dots if it does what I want it to do
Thanks for any info on comparisons and the evasive Lynx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

GinaK did a tutorial from opening the box to making cuts on the Cameo. Go to her blog and I'm sure you can find it. Even though I don't shop online, this one was very tempting! 99� for some designs online...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

After much research, I chose the Silhouette Cameo to replace my Cricut/cartridges. I had two main features I was looking for, print and cut and easy to learn/use software. I had an industrial cutter/plotter and the software was a pain to use. I wanted to be able to use my new machine right out of the box. I just got my Cameo on Tuesday, but wasn't able to unpack it until last night. I loaded the software and within 15 minutes, I had downloaded a digi, imported it into Silhouette Studio, added the mat, printed it and cut it out. This is exactly what I was looking for! You can see my card here,

Beach Bum by fishymom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I spent about 30 minutes cutting out different types of shapes last night and I am so pleased with the Cameo and the Silhouette Studio software. The small, intricate cuts were just as clean and beautiful as the larger ones. I am so loving this thing and can't wait to see all that it can do!

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

thats good to know. since my budget is sorely in need of a month were nothing breaks that costs at least $500 to fix, i am going to watch this thread and see what everyone else buys. at this point in my life i do not want something i have to fuss with and relearn everytime i want to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

here is a link to user reviews of some of the machines.

Under A Cherry Tree: New Pages added to the Cutter Reviews: Silhouette Cameo, and the KNK-Zing

I personally have the Silhouette Cameo and love it. I had to look at price as well as versatility when I made my choice and the Cameo came out on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Sizzix Elcips....

Hands down the Sizzix Eclips does it for me. I watched and listen and read all the pro's and con's on different electric cutting machiens. Not once have I heard anyone talking bad about the Eclips nor have I saw a thread for the Eclips. So, after a year (this year) I got a Eclips for my b-day from hubby. He also bought the Ecal software... the kind that Provo Craft took them to court and sued them. It's been a while now, but Cricut users can not use any third party software and not be able to cut the svg files.

Go to YouTube and type in search... Sizziz Eclips and you will get a ton of ideas and how to's. You also get a 2 hour dvd with your Eclips machine.
How can you go wrong with a brand and die name "Sizzix".

just my .25� worth...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Default Pazzles

Just reading about the Pazzles machine and wonder what the opinion of those that have had it some time. Are you satisfied? Was it what you expected? What about the price and the craft room. It looks interesting?????? Any info would be very helpful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

The Silhouette Cameo is often on sale for 269.99. It will usually come with a download card and 50? free images to cut.

If you watch for sales it can be less. I would think the closer we get to the holidays there might be sales on the Silhouette and the Eclips. There is a smaller Silhouette called the Portrait that is around 179.00.

I have both a Cricut Expression and the Silhouette Cameo. Even with numerous cartridges, I still use the Silhouette most of the time. It really is user friendly.

There is a picture of both Silhouettes here:

Results for Silhouette America

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Pazzles is a good machine. It's one of the sturdy electronic cutters for crafters. If buying one I think going with the pazzle/craft room package is the way to go. You get more for the $$.

Reply With Quote Likes