Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Paper Won't Pill?

I've been searching the threads for tips and I'm getting the idea I need watercolor paper; but does anyone have a specific brand, weight etc.??

Next to Copics, I like the look of using my SU dye ink pads or reinkers and the SU Blending Pen to color in images. HOWEVER; you can't do this on their Whisper White or Vanilla card stock without large amounts of pilling!!

Very frustrating.

I was trying to color in the small maple leaf image from an older set; Tags and More....it's only about 1 1/2" big!! I wanted to use three colors. First a thin layer of So Saffron. I moved quick, light hand. Next added some Pumpkin Pie trying to blend in the color and last a few touches of Rose Red. I used some Watercolor paper I bought at Michael's....cold press and not as white as I'd like.
Still got some pilling.

So....advice? What paper won't pill with the blender pens, letting me use up to three colors to color and blend an image, and is WHITE, not off white??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use watercolor paper when watercoloring. I have used several different ones but I prefer hot press because it is smoother than cold press. I have not found a really white one though. The closest to white that I have found was at Archivers and I think it is their brand. It is smoother than some cold press ones and is whiter than the others that I have.

The hot press that I have came in a poster board size and I got it at Texas Art Supply but I have no idea what brand it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I personally have only used SU's watercolor paper as I was too overwhelmed at the Art Store!

I also love Gina K's white cardstock. I use stumps and Gamsol on it without any pilling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

bwstamper has made two good points.
Hot Press is a smoother finish than Cold Press (can be marked Rough or NOT) and therefore easier for stamping on, especially detailed images. But it's normally a bit more expensive. It's on my list next time I'm in a big art store, just because it's so hard to get a good print of a detailed image.
White - I don't think you'll ever find watercolour paper as white cardstock - it's just in the nature of the manufacturing process. But definitely different brands vary. The whitest I got came in a large sheet from an art store, and even if I could remember the brand, you probably wouldn't have it over there. I see a lot of people listing the Canson paper in their gallery write-ups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Have you tried conditioning/preparing your WC paper first? I took a WC class from Dave B, owner of Memory Box. Once the WC paper is stamped your image, he taught us to take a WC brush and go over the paper with water -- maybe 2 to 3 times. This helps the medium you are using to absorb better in the WC paper which should help with pilling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #6  

I believe Arches does make a 'Bright White' w/c paper, but it only comes in large sheets. Almost any brand of w/c paper will resist pilling, it's what makes it different from regular paper, I think it is 'sized' with some kind of treatment solution.
It is true that Hot Press is the smoothest for stamping on, but it is a bear to find! If you a local art supply store, you may be in luck otherwise buy online. If you browse the w/c paper pads at AC Moore or Mike's some of them will be smoother than others, or one side will be very rough, but the other side is smoother.
My favorite paper is Fabriano Artistico, but it is a bit pricey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I posted a watercolor booklet that explains watercolor paper - look at post #11

what is the best to use for watercoloring? by make'n'take at Splitcoaststampers

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you ladies for the advice and links! All very helpful. I think I will search for a Hot Press paper as white as I can get. I don't do lots of coloring and I believe the invest of 20 sheets of good paper will save me money in the long run.

If I can achieve a look similar enough to Copics ( perhaps a little more transparent as it is a watercolor technique ) but using the inks I have on hand; I might be able to jump off the Copic bandwagon ( though I love them!). I could focus my limited crafting dollars on things that will get more frequent use. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
I believe Arches does make a 'Bright White' w/c paper, but it only comes in large sheets. Almost any brand of w/c paper will resist pilling, it's what makes it different from regular paper, I think it is 'sized' with some kind of treatment solution.
It is true that Hot Press is the smoothest for stamping on, but it is a bear to find! If you a local art supply store, you may be in luck otherwise buy online. If you browse the w/c paper pads at AC Moore or Mike's some of them will be smoother than others, or one side will be very rough, but the other side is smoother.
My favorite paper is Fabriano Artistico, but it is a bit pricey!
I have used 2 kinds of water color paper and I still get pilling. I watched some videos on you tube, and it doesn't look like it pills for other people, so maybe I am doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
I have used 2 kinds of water color paper and I still get pilling. I watched some videos on you tube, and it doesn't look like it pills for other people, so maybe I am doing something wrong?
Perhaps you are not "brushing" on the color but instead are coloring like you do with a marker? You want to lay the paint down but you don't need to rub it in as the paint should soak into the paper. Or maybe too much water? If you have too much water, try blotting with a clean paper towel to remove the excess.

The only time I get pilling is if I watercolor on cardstock so I'm not sure.

Maybe others have some ideas for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

If you're using the reinkers you can use a brush instead - it's a little more gentle on the paper.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Perhaps you are not "brushing" on the color but instead are coloring like you do with a marker? You want to lay the paint down but you don't need to rub it in as the paint should soak into the paper. Or maybe too much water? If you have too much water, try blotting with a clean paper towel to remove the excess.

The only time I get pilling is if I watercolor on cardstock so I'm not sure.

Maybe others have some ideas for you.
thanks for the advice. I am using Distress markers and a blender pen. I tried lightly brushing with the marker and then using the blender pen lightly and tried not going over the same spot. I will keep practicing with the lighter touch, but it seems like the paper pills a little too easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

thanks for the advice. I am using Distress markers and a blender pen. I tried lightly brushing with the marker and then using the blender pen lightly and tried not going over the same spot. I will keep practicing with the lighter touch, but it seems like the paper pills a little too easily.
The blender pen explains some of the pilling - a blender pen has a rougher surface than an actual paint rush. You need a light touch and IMHP a blender pen is not what I would consider water coloring.

Try coloring your distress marker on an acrylic block, silicone mat, plastic paper plate to use as a palate. Dip a real paint brush in water and pick up the marker color from the palette. Because the brush is soft, it should help with the pilling and the water gives you the ability to get a true water color effect. Also, this method allows you to actually blend your colors easier than with a blender pen. You don't need to spend a ton of money on brush but do get a decent brush as they last longer and will have nice soft bristles. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
The blender pen explains some of the pilling - a blender pen has a rougher surface than an actual paint rush. You need a light touch and IMHP a blender pen is not what I would consider water coloring.

Try coloring your distress marker on an acrylic block, silicone mat, plastic paper plate to use as a palate. Dip a real paint brush in water and pick up the marker color from the palette. Because the brush is soft, it should help with the pilling and the water gives you the ability to get a true water color effect. Also, this method allows you to actually blend your colors easier than with a blender pen. You don't need to spend a ton of money on brush but do get a decent brush as they last longer and will have nice soft bristles. Good Luck
Thank you for all the suggestions. I was using a paint brush at one point, along with the blender pens and still got pilling.

I ended up going to Michaels and buying some Strathmore paper and that seems to have solved my problem. I was originally using some watercolor paper that I bought several years ago in a watercolor set so maybe that was super cheap paper and too old? It might even have been stored in the attic for a while.
But I also bought some Ranger watercolor paper when I got my Distress markers, and I have to say that didn't hold up well at all. Maybe I got a bad batch?
I will keep practicing and will post some pics soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Thank you for all the suggestions. I was using a paint brush at one point, along with the blender pens and still got pilling.

I ended up going to Michaels and buying some Strathmore paper and that seems to have solved my problem. I was originally using some watercolor paper that I bought several years ago in a watercolor set so maybe that was super cheap paper and too old? It might even have been stored in the attic for a while.
But I also bought some Ranger watercolor paper when I got my Distress markers, and I have to say that didn't hold up well at all. Maybe I got a bad batch?
I will keep practicing and will post some pics soon.
Looking forward to seeing our pictures. Strathmore is the brand I usually buy. I've never tried Ranger since I buy Strathmore on sale or with a coupon. Hope it all works out for you now. I love to watercolor, it's so relaxing.
Reply With Quote Likes