Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What is the future of crafting conventions?

Those of us that have been around for awhile have seen our hobby (and business) change pretty quickly over the last ten years or so. Certainly, the internet has made a major impact.

I wonder what the future is for crafting conventions? That is, the ones for the end users, not the retailers. Wouldn't it be cool if CHA ran a joint convention? Have the first few days closed for vendors only, and then the last few days open with classes and shopping for us? It seems like that could be a win/win for everyone.

What are your thoughts?
mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CHA did that a few years back at the Anaheim show. It was awesome. I wish that there were more conventions like the 'old days'. I've been to conventions in Carson, CA (a lot of them), Las Vegas (several), Del Mar, CA, Ventura, CA, Orlando, FL & Spokane, WA and each has had something of interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

They did it a few years ago in Florida too. I really liked the expo that was open to the public. I wish they would do it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I would love to be able to attend conventions .... it would be awesome to see the booth displays, product demos, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

We get 3 each year and I love them. The are for customers so they aren't really "conventions" but rather a huge stamping/scrapbook store. I've noticed that there are not as many sellers but the selection is still great. The lines to purchase are long but you get to talk with other paper crafters and find out what they like/trends, great bargains, and finding the things you never see online or in LSS>

I don't know if I would travel to a CHA unless I could drive but it would be nice to go to one and blow out my budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never really attended a convention, but my mom has, and she tells me there are fewer and fewer vendors every year.

The funny thing was that she was looking for stamps from companies that I've been using a lot lately (Paper Smooches, Lawn Fawn, PTI, WPlus9), not knowing that these companies do not do conventions apart from CHA.

It seems that the same handful of vendors appear at these shows every year. I've thought about attending, but truthfully, when I look at the list of vendors, there's nothing there that would entice me to pay to attend.

The bottom line IS the bottom line...it costs a lot of money for vendors to appear at these conventions. That's why companies will choose to spend their convention dollars at CHA, where they can hope to impress vendors enough to carry their products. And beyond that, there are a LOT of companies that do not even showcase at CHA because that is also cost prohibitive. These companies do just fine on the internet, and don't need to attract shop owners to order from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just attended my first convention last week in Collinsville, Il (near St Louis). It is called RubberStampEvents.com. Different stamp companies, along with some familiar ones such as Our Daily Bread, and they were all really great stamp companies! I had a lot of fun, picked up some cool techniques, and the stamps were awesome! It was for end users like us! RubberstampEvents has these all over the US, so you might want to check them out. A friend of mine went with me and she said they are getting smaller each year.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been to Collinsville before and it's always good. Went to a CHA Craft Supershow once in Rosemont, Il (Chicago area) which was for anyone to attend in conjunction with CHA (for retail owners only). It was FABULOUS!! Papertrey was there along with many other companies. The next year it was scaled WAY down and combined with the JF&A (Jewelry, Fashion and Accessories) Show and that was the last one, I believe. So sad- I am spending the same amount on stamps and stuff as before but I guess many people aren't or else the Internet has taken over the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Today I went to the Stamp Scrapbook Art Tour here in Hamburg NY (Suburb of Buffalo). It was very nice but a lot smaller than when it first came. (I think maybe 5 years ago). We only have one stamp store (sells some scrapbooking stuff too). No scrapbook stores other than HL,M, ACM,JA. It was really great to see the latest in Tim Holtz stuff, Too Much Fun stamps(My favorite). The Local stamp store and CTMH had booths. Plus other returning vendors. Hopefully they will be back next August. Even CKC was a lot smaller than in previous years. Quite a contrast from when they first came in 2007. I like conventions. Gives me a chance to see new stuff in person. To talk to people who enjoy the same hobby I do. Next summer is a long way to wait for CKC and SSAT to come back again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default Stampaway

It is a great convention check it out online.

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

I've attended a couple Stampaway shows (Welcome to Stampaway! - Stampaway USA) and it's always been great. Large show with lots of vendors. Tim Holtz has been there in the flesh the past couple of years so that's always a big draw.

I've also been to several Heirloom (Welcome to Heirloom Productions - Bringing you the BEST in Rubber Stamp & Paper Arts Festivals) conventions over the past ten years but they've gotten smaller and smaller since I started going. I'll still attend as long as they have it here in Indy because it's close and I like to get new stuff.

This past weekend I attended the Scrapbook Expo (Scrapbook EXPO) in St. Charles for the first time and had a BLAST! It was much larger than I expected and, being primarily a stamper, I was surprised to see a large selection of stamping companies.

I love going to conventions. I think part of the problem is promotion of the conventions. Other than the on-line presence and word of mouth, I don't think a lot of promoters do enough to get the word out of what they are and when the event is happening. I don't think I've EVER seen anything in the newspaper (another dieing thing but that's another post) about the Heirloom convention that comes to the fairgrounds every year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to my first convention in Cincinnati Ohio given by Stampaway on August 10th, and had a blast (so did my pocketbook) It was great to be able to see the stamps for real, not on a screen and the techniques shown was great. I purchased stamps from companies I have never heard of. I know some of the vendors travelled a long distance and I appreciated seeing their stamps and talking to the owners, getting tips and seeing new techniques. I'll be there next year again. Hopefully we will have more vendors instead of less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I love conventions. I go to at least 2 a year--Memories Expo in Columbus, OH and Mega Meet in Novi, MI. I would go to more if I had the time to travel further. Both are smaller than they once were, but I will keep going as long as they keep having them.

Conventions are crack for crafters. I lose all control in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSView Post
I love conventions. I go to at least 2 a year--Memories Expo in Columbus, OH and Mega Meet in Novi, MI. I would go to more if I had the time to travel further. Both are smaller than they once were, but I will keep going as long as they keep having them.

Conventions are crack for crafters. I lose all control in there.
My Mom went to the Novi convention, too! Have you ever visited Stamppeddlers Plus in Northville? Great shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I just attended my first convention last week in Collinsville, Il (near St Louis). It is called RubberStampEvents.com. Different stamp companies, along with some familiar ones such as Our Daily Bread, and they were all really great stamp companies! I had a lot of fun, picked up some cool techniques, and the stamps were awesome! It was for end users like us! RubberstampEvents has these all over the US, so you might want to check them out. A friend of mine went with me and she said they are getting smaller each year.
I was there working the Heartfelt Creations booth! I enjoyed the stamp show but will say it was kinda small but lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the good fortune to attend the Adventures in Stamping convention in Akron annually for the past 10 years. It has changed over the years; in that, there are a reduction of make-n-takes and variety pf vendors, but it is still awesome and well-attended. Actually, I think it gets more crowded every year. I miss some of the original companies that attended, like the "rubber pit" of rubber baby buggy bumpers, etc., - but I still have TONS of fun. I really miss my local rubber stamp stores. At one time, there were 4 stores that were within 20 miles of me. They are all closed now. (snif snif)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I love conventions! Living in the midwest, the only one close to home (1 1/2 hrs. away) is in Collinsville, IL. I love to be introduced to new companies and new products, which make conventions ideal. I have traveled to StampAway several times and Novi, MI once in the past several years. I know it is expensive for the vendors, but I hope they continue to come.
Reply With Quote Likes