Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage for PTI, MFT and Spellbinder Dies

What does everyone store their dies in? I am looking for a good storage method that can expand as I grow my die collection.

Thanks,
Catherine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I store my dies in the Hobby Lobby version of the Tim Holtz folders for clear stamps. I use the same folders for my clear stamps too.

I cut a piece of chipboard to 6 x 8, then I use the adhesive magnetic sheets from Oriental Trading on top of the chipboard. The sheets are 8 1/2 x 11, so I cut them in half and get 2 sheets out of it. I also cut the magnetic sheet about a half inch shorter than the chipboard so that I can label it with the die name.

I can fit several dies on each sheet, depending on the size. I don't sort them by manufacturer, but rather by theme. It's easier for me to find what I need that way.

I keep the folders on bins on my desk so it's easy to flip through and find what I'm looking for. And I have plenty of room to grow.

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

After trying several different ways and none of them really working for me, I got the EZ Magnetic 2-N-1 mini size binder set from Crafter's Companion. I liked it so much I now have 4 and will get more for the rest of my dies. I have all florals in one, borders & tags in another, Christmas in #3 and other holidays in #4. I was going to keep my Nesties on the magnetic sheets I have attached to the back of the original but I'm planning on putting them into these binders too. I'm using the mini size since I have arthritis and felt the full size would be too heavy for me to lift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Spellbinder Storage

I use the artbin storage case. I don't have a ton of dies, maybe 10 sets (not including grand nesties), so this has been working for me.

magnetic spellbinder die storage - Bing Images
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Right now ALL my dies including Bigz are in a large card storage box. Think those photo storage boxes only bigger.

I have my Spellbinders, SU framelits, and similar on laminated cards with magnetic sheets. I have dividers that tell me whether they match stamp sets, are standard shapes, are fancy shapes, etc.

Only problem? That box is getting HEAVY!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a very visual person. If I don't see it, I tend to forget I have it. So I've taken most of my spellbinders dies out of those obnoxious folders they come in (I find them hard to open and the sticky tape doesn't last long so pieces start to move around inside) and put them on binder rings (not sure if that's the right name but they're like the rings in 3-ring binders but they are free standing) and put each set on its own ring with a small tag that identifies which die set it is. They hang on cup hooks down the side of a peg board that hands near my desk with like groups together...circles with circles, ovals with ovals, etc.

Some of the fancier sets have pieces that don't really work on the binder rings. I have about 5 of these, and right now they're in a small basket under the ones on binder rings so that I can see them easily and remember I have them.

My Sizzix dies, other larger dies and embossing envelopes are in a set of drawers right next to my Sizzix Big Kick. I'm working on making samples of the cuts and embossing folders with numbers to tell me which draw I'll find the coordinating item with.

If I traveled as much as I used to with my stuff, I probably wouldn't use this system. But I attend only one weekend crop a year, and I have an iris cart with 6 iris locking containers in it from Michael's. I just take the spellbinders and other dies I want and put them in one of the containers. They don't get
tangled at all.

Hope this makes sense and helps someone,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have mine on magnetic sheet that slides into hanging CD sleeves which hang in one of these Memorex CD/DVD File-n-Store Drawer Holds 80 Discs at $5.00 in CD/DVD Boxes

I labelled the sleeves but you could put dies in the back and a picture on the front as each sleeve is double sided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
I have mine on magnetic sheet that slides into hanging CD sleeves which hang in one of these Memorex CD/DVD File-n-Store Drawer Holds 80 Discs at $5.00 in CD/DVD Boxes

I labelled the sleeves but you could put dies in the back and a picture on the front as each sleeve is double sided.
Are the sleeves you're talking about something you made or something you bought? I'm really curious how this works ( and may have to change my way of storing my thin metal dies.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I made my own system with 2 Cropper Hopper Sticker Clippers that I got at Tuesday Morning for about $5/each. Magnetic sheets that I got at Hobby Lobby.

I also use labels and chipboard.

The chipboard and magnetic sheets I cut to about 8 1/2 x 5 1/2. Then I run the die through my Big Shot with the label and then I write the name of the die cut on it. That way I don't have to figure out what the name of the dies are. It works for me and there's room to grow. The only bad part is I've had trouble finding the clips for it which is the only reason I bought the second clipper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktfabian2View Post
Are the sleeves you're talking about something you made or something you bought? I'm really curious how this works ( and may have to change my way of storing my thin metal dies.

Thanks,
The sleeves come with the box.

They have a hole in them but regular dies don't fall through it and if I have really small dies, I put some clear tape over the inside and outside to fill it in.

I got the idea from someone on SCS but as always, I can't remember who/where/when I saw the post. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I currently have my dies (I only own SB so far) in CD cases with a magnetic sheet inside. I buy magnetic vent covers at Lowe's or Home Depot and cut them up to put inside. This is the cheapest way I've found to get the magnetic sheets. I also make a sample cut of each of the dies in the set and store it in the case too. I label each sample with the die name and the # of the die. This is very helpful in planning what size cuts I need for my projects. I label the outside of each CD case and store them in one of the drawers in my jetmax cube (the 4 drawer unit).

My long border dies and Grand dies are stored in a regular 3-ring notebook. I put strips of magnetic tape on black cardstock. I labeled the cardstock and slipped it in a sheet protector. I can put the card that came in the die packaging in the sheet protector too.

This is working for me -- for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep my dies and stamps in the SP Storage Binder system: SP Storage Binder System : SP and Company, Daringly Delightful Stamps by Samantha Peyton It's really made my organization very easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just did a blog post showing my organizational system for framelits- works for other brands too- it even fits the new big thinlets too!!!

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Framelits Storage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Quickkutz magnetic binders

You can store dies on both sides. Love it.

You can get them here
Attached Thumbnails
Storage for PTI, MFT and Spellbinder Dies-dscn0909.jpg  

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie Craft CafeView Post
I use the artbin storage case. I don't have a ton of dies, maybe 10 sets (not including grand nesties), so this has been working for me.

magnetic spellbinder die storage - Bing Images
I just recently got this and I LOVE it! And Hobby Lobby has them so you can get 40%!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I store my dies on magnet sheets and the sheets are stored in a plastic picture frame. Originally I adhered the magnet sheets heavy plastic dividers but I ran out and now I'm adhering to heavy cardstock. I cut up the original package and adhere to the back of the cardstock for my index. I have dividers for categories like squares, circles/ovals, garden, critters, holidays, etc.

I've been using this method for almost a year and it really works well for me. I tried the binder method but it was too heavy. I find that flipping through the dies is easy and when I take a die off the magnet, I turn the magnet sheet up so I know exactly where the die is supposed to be when I'm finished. I don't go to crops so portability is not an issue for me.

These pictures are from when I first did the project and I had room to store my embossing plates. Now the box is almost full so I've move the plates out. Also, I've taken my SU dies out of the envelopes and store them on the magnetic sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage for PTI, MFT and Spellbinder Dies-card-photos-june-2012-013.jpg   Storage for PTI, MFT and Spellbinder Dies-card-photos-june-2012-003.jpg   Storage for PTI, MFT and Spellbinder Dies-card-photos-june-2012-009.jpg   Storage for PTI, MFT and Spellbinder Dies-card-photos-june-2012-001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought magnetic sheets from Lowes (they're for covering air vents.) I used my ATG gun to attach them to the inside of my cabinet doors and I stick all my dies to that.
Reply With Quote Likes