Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me figure this out.....

My craft room is too full! I have a big island in the center. Here is my problem: I have the opportunity to get a library card catalog table...... I have dreamed of getting a card catalog and this is beautiful. It is 39x36 with 15 drawers on 2 sides. Absolutely gorgeous! I cant quit thinking of it! However, that island in the middle of the room would have to go and what will I do with all those shelving units.... Please refer to my gallery photos. Help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have to preface this with letting you know that I am all about consolidating and putting as much "stuff" in the smallest footprint possible. Even so, I still have way too much of said "stuff" and continue to add more (I know I'm in good company).

That being said, I'll throw a couple of things out there: NO WAY would I get rid of that island! I'm currently brainstorming a way to turn my work table into an island (I think I have it figured out - just need to execute) and looking for ways to add more "surface" area for cutting, embossing, etc.

I looked at the pics in your gallery, and there were a couple of things that came to mind (might sound harsh, but you asked ): I realize that your wall of paper storage is convenient and immensely workable for you, but I just look at the acreage of space that it takes up and how much open space there is between shelves that is (in my mind) "wasted". Could you perhaps add shelves in between the existing ones to double up? That way you could put twice as much paper in half the space. Alternately, you could flip the unit on its side so the "slots" are vertical, rather than horizontal, and put dividers between colors so you could multiples in the same slot. Either of these options would allow you to remove one of the units completely, or re-purpose it for some of the items that are on other shelves elsewhere in the room.

I'd also take a good, hard look at what is on those other shelves and see if there is a different/better way to reconfigure it or eliminate it (I've done a lot of purging over here).

Could the "project boxes" live somewhere else until you're working on that particular project? Since they are all clearly labelled, it would be easy to, say, open a closet or something to grab the appropriate box...

Maybe things could be moved around a bit. If you consolidate the paper storage and re-purpose the other unit, you could probably eliminate shelves from another wall that previously housed whatever you moved over to the second paper unit. Alternately, if the paper was consolidated and you didn't need the second unit at all, it could be removed from the room and some of the shelves could be moved to that wall.

I'm thinking that perhaps - if you are able to gain enough free wall space - you could put the card catalog against the wall so you are looking at a non-drawer side of it (looking straight on), and the drawers would pull out to the left or right. This could only work if you have enough space to stand next to it on either side, of course. Also, I'm not sure which dimensions your measurements refer to - is that height and width? Or width and depth? Regardless, depending on how high the unit is, you could probably put at least a few things on top of it - perhaps even one of the smaller shelving units themselves.

I don't know if this is all clear as mud, or if it makes sense, or if I even answered your question! Anyway, that's what came to mind... Good luck with that! I'd be all over figuring out how to add a card catalog, though, if I came across one

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

What do you plan to use the card catalog for?

Are you planning to buy more stuff to fill it?
Or are you going to move stuff from other places to those drawers.

I'd start there.

And since you asked... ;) ... I drew out your room on paper from your pictures. The way that it is laid out right now does not allow you to add that lovely card catalog. You would need to make changes. Unfortunately every one of us gets to the point that something new just doesn't fit.

So. Where do you go from here?

What do you have in that closet? Can things be moved around to make more efficient space?

I would look at your current storage and work space as to its efficiency. Do you work at the desk? Or at the island? If you work at the desk and only use the island for your cutter, and to cover up your storage, then maybe the island is a waste of real estate.

Consider where you have things stored. If you sit down at the desk to work, then are your stamps convenient? How about your stamp pads? Or do you use them only infrequently?

I know I ramble, but that's the way I think when I'm organizing. Now my thoughts have gelled a bit so here goes...you asked!

...If you really covet that card catalog and can be disciplined enough to PURGE your storage pieces as you move stuff into the drawers, then eliminate your current island, and make the card catalog your island. You will HAVE to be ruthless...if you can't be, then the card catalog won't work for you.
...Put EVERYTHING small in those drawers. You will empty most if not all of your little storage units on and around your desk. You will now go to those drawers for all that little stuff. Those drawers will hold A LOT.
...Move your desk under the window. Get rid of all the stuff on top of it. (I know, that's an ouch, but you asked!) You can leave the pens and tools caddy and the light.
...Put your bookcases that are under the current island AND the paper units along the wall where your desk is now.
...You can put SOME of your storage currently on your desk over on top of your bookcases, but ONLY if you need it.

Of course, you COULD pay my airfare to come visit and I'll work onsite for you for free!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #4  

Received 788 Likes on 323 Posts

I was also wondering about the project boxes. Finding another space for them might help.

I also noticed a dollhouse in your studio? If that could be moved to another room, you'd gain some space there as well.

I love your island and can see what a great work top it has!

I also agree that taking things out of the space to fill up the drawers in the card catalog, would free up some space.

My last thought is about your paper storage. If you used vertical storage for your paper it would take up less space. Many people on scs, myself included, use hanging files for paper storage. My studio is 12 by 12 and I must share the space with a futon, so space is at a premium.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #5  

Received 788 Likes on 323 Posts

My son just moved to Denver a couple years ago. We are thinking of moving out there in a couple years.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
What do you plan to use the card catalog for?

Are you planning to buy more stuff to fill it?
Or are you going to move stuff from other places to those drawers.

I'd start there.

And since you asked... ;) ... I drew out your room on paper from your pictures. The way that it is laid out right now does not allow you to add that lovely card catalog. You would need to make changes. Unfortunately every one of us gets to the point that something new just doesn't fit.

So. Where do you go from here?

What do you have in that closet? Can things be moved around to make more efficient space?

I would look at your current storage and work space as to its efficiency. Do you work at the desk? Or at the island? If you work at the desk and only use the island for your cutter, and to cover up your storage, then maybe the island is a waste of real estate.

Consider where you have things stored. If you sit down at the desk to work, then are your stamps convenient? How about your stamp pads? Or do you use them only infrequently?

I know I ramble, but that's the way I think when I'm organizing. Now my thoughts have gelled a bit so here goes...you asked!

...If you really covet that card catalog and can be disciplined enough to PURGE your storage pieces as you move stuff into the drawers, then eliminate your current island, and make the card catalog your island. You will HAVE to be ruthless...if you can't be, then the card catalog won't work for you.
...Put EVERYTHING small in those drawers. You will empty most if not all of your little storage units on and around your desk. You will now go to those drawers for all that little stuff. Those drawers will hold A LOT.
...Move your desk under the window. Get rid of all the stuff on top of it. (I know, that's an ouch, but you asked!) You can leave the pens and tools caddy and the light.
...Put your bookcases that are under the current island AND the paper units along the wall where your desk is now.
...You can put SOME of your storage currently on your desk over on top of your bookcases, but ONLY if you need it.

Of course, you COULD pay my airfare to come visit and I'll work onsite for you for free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say that I have "island envy". What a great work space! Definitely would not give that up. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a card catalog. I love the idea of it. I love the look of it. I don't use it! Have you ever looked in those drawers? They are small and not efficient for anything not that size rectangle. To have any room at all, I had to remove the center rod in each drawer. I also need for things to be more visible than they are when stored in a card catalog. Use it for something else or just decoration in another room. Take the table or legs from beneath it and slide it under your island? Don't pass up a card catalog but know it will not solve your storage needs.
Reply With Quote Likes