Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evernote vs One Note

I have been reading about Evernote on one of the threads. I had not heard of this software before but it sounds very intriguing to log all of the stamping items I have collected/purchased.

I happened to notice that I have One Note from Microsoft on my computer but have never used it before.

I am wondering if anyone has used both and which one they prefer. I would really like to start this process but not sure which one to go with. I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both apps on my phone. Just created my first note using Evernote. Haven't used One Note yet. My main issue is time....when you are a hoarder like me, there's A LOT to inventory!!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I have quite a bit of supplies too, so that is why I want to start with the best program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I found a great app for craft inventories on iPhones called Krafts. You can create your own categories for supplies, add detailed information about the supplies including photos of items, and create a shopping list as supplies run out. You can also keep a running record of projects you're working on or ideas for projects. I highly commend it! I use the app for my card making, scrapbooking, and even cake decorating supplies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by willsmomView Post
I found a great app for craft inventories on iPhones called Krafts. You can create your own categories for supplies, add detailed information about the supplies including photos of items, and create a shopping list as supplies run out. You can also keep a running record of projects you're working on or ideas for projects. I highly commend it! I use the app for my card making, scrapbooking, and even cake decorating supplies.
I downloaded Krafts, but didn't find it very user friendly....then I discovered EverNote and LOVE that app!! Plus Krafts didn't automatically sync (had to save and then over-write), but EverNote syncs automatically on iPhone, iPad, laptop and desktop! VERY CONVENIENT!!!

The important thing is to find what works for you...look at your different choices, listen to what others are saying about their experiences, and if you try an app and it doesn't work for you, don't waste your time trying to make it work, find another app and try it. Eventually you'll find what works for you and what makes you happy! I would be happy to share my Evernote notebooks if you decide to go that route....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Hello! I just downloaded Evernote and I would be thrilled if you did share your notebooks with me. Do you also download pictures of your stamp sets? I'm totally new to this and would love any advice you can offer me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfly inkView Post
Hello! I just downloaded Evernote and I would be thrilled if you did share your notebooks with me. Do you also download pictures of your stamp sets? I'm totally new to this and would love any advice you can offer me. Thanks!
Yes, my notes have pictures of each stamp set. I've done all my current stamp sets, still working on my retired ones...(yes, I have quite a few!)

I would be HAPPY to share my notebooks...although most of what I've done so far is just SU....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't used One Note, but Ever Note rocks! So easy to use and catalog everything and tag them with searchable keywords.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by btalemView Post
I haven't used One Note, but Ever Note rocks! So easy to use and catalog everything and tag them with searchable keywords.
tag right from the catalog? how? thanks for any help given
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by btalemView Post
Totally concur! I started using Evernote last night and it's the BOMB! Easy to use, syncs between my phone and Kindle Fire and PC (automatically), and I freakin' LOVE it! Go now - get it- seriously, right now!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I have all of my stuff in Microsoft OneNote. Its on my PC so I can't carry it with me but I also have the old fashioned little notebook in my purse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

So do you set up a separate notebook for different things, ie. stamps, inks, dies, etc. or do you set up one notebook for all and just tag each note. If someone could explain, I would really appreciate it - "don't want to have to reinvent the wheel." I have watched many videos on youtube, but don't really see one about setting up a collection.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetmeyView Post
So do you set up a separate notebook for different things, ie. stamps, inks, dies, etc. or do you set up one notebook for all and just tag each note. If someone could explain, I would really appreciate it - "don't want to have to reinvent the wheel." I have watched many videos on youtube, but don't really see one about setting up a collection.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Which program are you asking about? In OneNote I have one workbook with tabs for each thing (dies, stamps, embossing folders, etc) Then I have pages on each tab for brands (spellbinders, SU!, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I downloaded Evernote, as it seems to be getting great reviews. My question below was in regards to that software.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

So far I've only done stamps, which are in their own notebook, and Evernote will list them however I tell it to - by date updated, by title, etc. I title each note by manufacturer and set name, for example - Autumn Leaves: Cool Girl Borders, or Autumn Leaves: Journaling. I have it set up so they are listed in alphabetical order (Evernote does it for me), and I can search with any keyword that I've added to the note, such as "flower" or "thank you". I will probably do separate notebooks for each type of item (dies, inks, etc.), but I can put them all in a "stack" to save space and find things easier. I don't know if that made any sense to you, but if you poke around Evernote, it will...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I downloaded Evernote, as it seems to be getting great reviews. My question below was in regards to that software.
Make sure that it's downloaded to all of your devices that have the capability, because it will automatically sync across all of them, so you'll have access to the information wherever you are - even someone else's computer. You'd just have to sign in to your account.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

What kind of information do you list in the notes section?

Does anyone put details like:
Where and when you purchased it?
$$ paid
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

What kind of information do you list in the notes section?

Does anyone put details like:
Where and when you purchased it?
$$ paid
I have the following notebooks set up (so far):

SU Stamp sets (current)
SU Stamp sets (retired)
SU Wheels (current)
SU Wheels (retired)
Big Shot Dies / Framelits / Edgelits
Embossing Folders / Embosslits
SU Punches

I have a picture of the item, then the item number and cost

When available, I have a description of the item from the website and if there are sentiments, I've tried to type them in the notes section....although I just read (somewhere) that Evernote can "read" words in pictures...which is really cool! Haven't tried it yet, but I will!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't put the where/when/price info in my notes (because I don't think I'll really need it or care about it later - but I'd include it if I thought it'd be handy). I list every word that could possibly apply to whatever-it-is, so when I'm searching for, say, a flourish or a particular sentiment, I can put "flourish" or "thank you" into the search box, and every stamp set in that notebook that applies will be listed. Then I can click on the thumbnails to choose which one I want. You can put as much or as little information in the notes section as you want.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Sarah - THANK YOU for sending me your notebooks and the instructions. They are awesome and will definitely save me a lot of time. Also, I now have a much better understanding of how to utilize Evernote after seeing your files. I have been playing with it a little bit and it is going to be fantastic. I love that it syncs to my phone .... no more wondering "do I have this". AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahwmsView Post
I have the following notebooks set up (so far):

SU Stamp sets (current)
SU Stamp sets (retired)
SU Wheels (current)
SU Wheels (retired)
Big Shot Dies / Framelits / Edgelits
Embossing Folders / Embosslits
SU Punches

I have a picture of the item, then the item number and cost

When available, I have a description of the item from the website and if there are sentiments, I've tried to type them in the notes section....although I just read (somewhere) that Evernote can "read" words in pictures...which is really cool! Haven't tried it yet, but I will!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Sue - thank you for your suggestions. I am just getting started and I can see the advantages of using Evernote. I appreciate your input, as it is easier to take the advice of someone who is using it, than to try and reinvent the wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't put the where/when/price info in my notes (because I don't think I'll really need it or care about it later - but I'd include it if I thought it'd be handy). I list every word that could possibly apply to whatever-it-is, so when I'm searching for, say, a flourish or a particular sentiment, I can put "flourish" or "thank you" into the search box, and every stamp set in that notebook that applies will be listed. Then I can click on the thumbnails to choose which one I want. You can put as much or as little information in the notes section as you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Sarah - THANK YOU for sending me your notebooks and the instructions. They are awesome and will definitely save me a lot of time. Also, I now have a much better understanding of how to utilize Evernote after seeing your files. I have been playing with it a little bit and it is going to be fantastic. I love that it syncs to my phone .... no more wondering "do I have this". AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.
You are very welcome!! I can't see anyone having to reinvest the time to input this info, when I have already done it!! Plus it's easier to edit a notebook to your specific style rather than input from scratch!

I'm still adding my retired sets...and tweaking my notebooks, but I really like the app and can't imagine going back to a binder/rolodex!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry I disappeared...being playing too much with the program. Granted, I'm not doing a lot of stuff that others are...but I love this program. My main thing was that I wanted to have things categorized so that if I wanted to make a card that said someone was AWESOME, I had the ability to see which stamps I had that used that word. EverNote provided that to me. I have scanned all of my stamps into the program and tagged them with all the keywords that I could think of that relates to the set. I can look up the word AWESOME and find that I have three sets that have that word in it that I can use.
I LOVE that I can also have that information on my phone to play around with as I choose. I can use the same functions with my computer that I can on my phone. It's nice to be able to go to a friend's house and know what stamps sets I have so that I don't reorder the same again. I have uploaded 175 stamp set pictures and still haven't hit the monthly limit.
I highly recommend this program to everyone! It is awesome....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Sara and Sue: Evernote can read words in the photos you add, so no need to create a tag for every sentiment. Just do a search for "thanks" for example, and the program will show you every set that contains that word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi,

Would anyone mind sharing your notebooks with me? I didn't think of putting my stamps in to categorize them. That's an awesome idea!

I started trying to put in my cutting files so I could see them to chose which I want. I can't seem to attach the actual cutting file. I have been keeping the file on a thumb drive. I tag the Evernote picture with the cutting file name so I know which one to look for.

I will start doing this with my digis too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You are very welcome!! I can't see anyone having to reinvest the time to input this info, when I have already done it!! Plus it's easier to edit a notebook to your specific style rather than input from scratch!

I'm still adding my retired sets...and tweaking my notebooks, but I really like the app and can't imagine going back to a binder/rolodex!!
Sarah, I would love and appreciate it if you would email me your notebooks. I tackled what was easiest for me....dies. Now, to get started on the stamps. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Sarah, I would love to see your notebooks too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
Sarah, I would love to see your notebooks too.
Sure Lisa...I just need your email address!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you SO much, Sarah!!! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
Thank you SO much, Sarah!!! I really appreciate it.
no problem!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
Hi,

Would anyone mind sharing your notebooks with me? I didn't think of putting my stamps in to categorize them. That's an awesome idea!

I started trying to put in my cutting files so I could see them to chose which I want. I can't seem to attach the actual cutting file. I have been keeping the file on a thumb drive. I tag the Evernote picture with the cutting file name so I know which one to look for.

I will start doing this with my digis too.

Thanks
I'd be more than happy to share my notebooks...I have mostly SU....if they would help you, please send me your email address and I will send them to you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

I'd be more than happy to share my notebooks...I have mostly SU....if they would help you, please send me your email address and I will send them to you!!
Thank you Sarah!
I do have some SU sets so it would be very helpful.
I would really appreciate it.
My email is [email protected]

I hope you have a sun shiny day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies I just signed up for evernote. My first questions
1. When I click on sarah's attachments-they each went on my site. Can I remove any stamp sets, punch that I don't own
2. Is there a way to put the sets in alphabet order?

I'm sure I'll be back w/ more questions.TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
Ladies I just signed up for evernote. My first questions
1. When I click on sarah's attachments-they each went on my site. Can I remove any stamp sets, punch that I don't own
2. Is there a way to put the sets in alphabet order?

I'm sure I'll be back w/ more questions.TIA
Yes, to delete a note, just click or tap the note and then tap/click the trash can at the top.

You should have the option at the top of the notebook, to sort by title (alphabetically), by date created or by last updated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts

I am reading all of this and wanting to set up my stamp inventory in Evernote, which I have on my laptop and iPad mini. My question is how do you get the photos into Evernote?

Thank you for any help at all! So far I have only set up notebooks for dail prayer time. Mon, Tues, etc. So that is the extent of my using of Evernote. I just have the free version. Is that all I need?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
I am reading all of this and wanting to set up my stamp inventory in Evernote, which I have on my laptop and iPad mini. My question is how do you get the photos into Evernote?

Thank you for any help at all! So far I have only set up notebooks for dail prayer time. Mon, Tues, etc. So that is the extent of my using of Evernote. I just have the free version. Is that all I need?

The free version is all you need. You can get the paid version, but I haven't come across a reason to yet. You can upload pics in one of two ways...1) you can upload pictures through your computer or 2) you can take pics on your smart phone with the Evernote program.

What I did was scan the sets on my scanner/printer and upload them into the program. It was SUPER easy. I just dragged and dropped them into the program. I got all of my 175 sets uploaded before I used up all 60 mbs that I am allowed to upload in a month with the free version. I could have got the paid version and gotten 40 more mbs...but I can wait the 30 days for the program to reset.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post

To input pictures of stamp sets (at least for current stamp sets), I just pulled them up in the online shop and then copied and pasted the stamp set pictures (and description on some of them) into my Evernote note.

If its not current, I can normally Google it and find a decent picture of the stamp set. Most of the time in google you can just drag it into your note.

I, too am still using the free version....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I will try it. So I name a notebook Current SU! Stamps or something.you just begin listing stamps with photos. So it is a big list or is there someway you divide them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Okay, I figured out how it makes notes alphabetically. Whahoo! Now, another question: If i put them on my mini pad, do I have to be online to see them? It would be easier to put them on my laptop, but then, I do have to be online to see them, right? Or would I be able to sync it and they would be on there w/o internet? Or would I have to be somewhere that has wireless access. I don't have 4g or 3g. I am so electronically challenged. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes