Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMTPT260~ July 23, 2013 ~ Don't Call Me a Sissy; I Ain't the Least Bit Prissy

Welcome to Teapot Tuesday
the Sisterhood of the Traveling Teaparty
and Challenge #260

Don't Call Me a Sissy; I Ain't the Least Bit Prissy

Note: Anyone is welcome to play! You automatically become a Teapotter the first time you play in our challenge. Also, you do not have to write a story. You just have to be inspired by the teapot or by the story about this week's location! Have fun! If this is your first Teapot Tuesday Challenge, please mention that in your commentary so we can be sure to greet you properly, in pure Teapot Tuesday fashion! Your participation in Destination Station is 100% voluntary and not at all required. Just have fun!

The Rest of the Story:

1: The collectors and growers of tropical flowers are an interesting lot. There are as many men as women that claim to be lovers of those hot house beauties; and the more difficult to grow or the rarer the bloom, the more devoted are the followers. Some are so devoted to them that they name their children after their favorites, or build elaborate greenhouses with the latest technologies avail to mimic the natural growing climate, some have even been known to sit up all night waiting for their favorites to bloom. So even though it may come as a surprise when I tell you that one of the most ardent orchid collector and growers around these parts is a big, brawny, tanned and fit former NAVY Seal...don't laugh and don't you dare call him a sissy. I double dog dare ya to tell him it's a sissy hobby....C'mon I dare ya.....LOL!!!

2: Of all the rare, beautiful and hard to grow tropical flowers; orchids are some of the pickiest, therefore the satisfaction for bringing them to bloom repeatedly is immense. The showy and seemingly fragile orchid has drawn many a person into it's web where even the tiniest success spurs them on to keep trying. Travis Trent never was one to back down from a challenge, not during rescue missions nor in his quest to grow this pickiest of flowers. He grew intriqued with them when he was on a mission off the coast of South America. While on an excursion through the Amazon river basin, he noticed huge trailing bunches of them in amazing colors. When reading about them and how hard they were to cultivate outside of their native habitat, he grew more and more determined to do just that. Since retiring and moving back home, he threw himself into designing and building a greenhouse and designing watering and misting equipment to mimic the humidity of the rain forest. Working with his hands and challenging his brain this way helped him "return to normal life" It gave him a place to escape to when he needed.

3: He was so successful at building this environment that his collection of rare and beautiful orchids is world renowned and he has amassed an enviable number of different species. He is always tinkering with the environmental systems in his huge greenhouse, even partially dividing it into rooms with differing levels of moisture and light to facilitate the needs of various ones. He is always on the lookout for new, rarer and harder to grow varieties to add. He even has a small plane equipped with a miniature greenhouse to fly to remote areas and hunt for specimens so they will survive the air conditions of the flight back. The one he wants the most to have in his collection is the rare and threatened white orchid native to Columbia, South America known as the "Cattlaya-trianaei var Albescens". With it's nearly all white ruffled blooms with yellow-green throat and tiniest touch of lavender on it's lip; it is a showstopper for sure. It is one of the rare winter blooming orchids and only has 3-4 blooms on each stem, however they do bloom for about 5 weeks in the middle of winter when nothing much is blooming. They also can be lavender but the white ones are much harder to find and cultivate. They must have just the right mix of light and water with good ventilation to prevent to much moisture at roots. They attach themselves to the bark of trees and grow in the "cloud forest" at a dizzying height of 1500-2000 meters above sea level. Due to deforestation, they are becoming harder and harder to find and many feel they will soon be extinct. Travis is more and more determined to find some before then and has completed a section of the greenhouse with the right environment. He has been in contact with some natives who are asking around about anyone finding a growth of them.

4: Finally, he hears from a guide who has heard from a local fisherman of a large colony of them and he feels it is reliable information. Travis makes arrangements to fly down immediately and meet this guide to travel into the wilderness, to hopefully bring some back home. However, when doing his routine pre-flight check of his 1947 Cessna-140; he discovered one of the hinged window frames bent and not repairable, and parts will have to be shipped. He doesn't have that much time! He has no idea how long the orchids have been blooming and he won't be able to spot them otherwise. Rut-Roh!! Help Teapotters; we need a plane, and I mean on the double. We need to get Travis to Columbia before this flower quits blooming.

Challenge Translation:

Bring planes, big and small, decked out or plain as can be. Just make sure they can get to Columbia and back. Surely that isn't to hard a task for Teapotters of such fame as we. No slow boats to china or you come in the back door.

Destination Station:

This week we are sending our cards to Arlington, VA. If you want a destination for your card, how about sending it to Trent, brother of Teapotter Tina TMD

To find out why and get an address to mail your card, check out post #360 in the destination station. Please remember that just because you participate in a Teapot Tuesday challenge that is combined with a card drive request, it does not mean that you are REQUIRED to send your cards. It is totally 100% voluntary!

Here is my card

Here is his sister Tina's card

Here is a quick link to MMTPT260 gallery

Be sure to you use KEYWORD MMTPT260 in your upload and post a comment here so we can all see your card!

Ever want to get a jump on next week's challenge card? SCS has given Sheri (KSNurse) permission to create an email Teapot Tuesday Cheater Group and email the challenge out on the Saturday before the Tuesday of the challenge so you girls can have the weekend to make your card. Send her a pm with your email address if you wanna be a Cheater!

If you are confused about these challenges, see the first sticky post of this thread for more information. There is also a directory of individual challenges. Feel free to grab this I survived Teapot Tuesday Badge for your blog!
Attached Thumbnails
MMTPT260~ July 23, 2013 ~ Don't Call Me a Sissy; I Ain't the Least Bit Prissy-badge_for_teapot_tuesday.jpg   MMTPT260~ July 23, 2013 ~ Don't Call Me a Sissy; I Ain't the Least Bit Prissy-cb955fba056118fa85927073a9954c01.jpg   MMTPT260~ July 23, 2013 ~ Don't Call Me a Sissy; I Ain't the Least Bit Prissy-4c0f4b05e7fd20800404cb8140848e8f.jpg   MMTPT260~ July 23, 2013 ~ Don't Call Me a Sissy; I Ain't the Least Bit Prissy-trianaei.jpg  

Last edited by Cook22; 07-29-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is my card for Trent. It went in the mail today! Many thanks to him for serving our country and many prayers go out to him! tfl

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Here is the card I made ...
MMTPT260 Janneke's Orchid by niki1 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
niki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Aughhhhh!!! It's been so hot I forgot about Flying Ace Snoopy. I'm in the doghouse.
But I did have another plane image ~ MMTPT260 Orchid Flyer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

MMTPT260 Calm Seas for Trent by GardenDiva - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here's my card for Trent. I'm SURE a career Navy man will need an anchor in his life right now.

GardenDiva
AKA Tina DeLong

FS363
QFTD182

Fan Club Member & Tuesday Teapotter

Hostess MMTPT222
Thyme began in a Garden.

Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is my card for Trent:
MMTPT260 for Trent by RJP111 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart " Orchids for Trent "

lovely challenge as always...Orchids are so beautiful, can't blame Trent... here is my card for him...;0)
We as people are raindrops of colorful ink , falling down Crisp and Clear, each a different shade more vibrant then the last, but once we realize at the bottom of an endless abyss we all fall into the same inkpot forming one color, only then can we come together as one My son.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm totally coming in the back door on this one. I don't have any plane stamps, but this at least seemed like a masculine card, and hopefully will bring a smile.
Pirates at the back door for MMTPT260 by stampingwriter - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Teapot Tuesday participant

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

MMTPT260 by redi2stamp - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Here's my card for Trent
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #10  
tmd
Crimping Master

Thank you Gals for doing this teaparty for my brother!! I'll let you know his response as soon as he tells me.

Some of you have asked when in August is his birthday, it is the 18th.

Thank you for all your warm hearts, prayers and thoughts for our family.
Big hugs to all of you
Tina

http://feistycrafter.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm so tired of being late. Oh well, better late than never as the old saying goes. MMTPT260 For Trent by yo sam - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Proud Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes