Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about Christmas cards

After viewing the new SU Holiday mini (thank you, link fairies!), and seeing the dramatically reduced amount of Christmas product, I began to wonder. Do you think that Christmas card making has decreased significantly? I know that for me, personally, I don't enjoy making Christmas cards as much as I do other occasions. I like sending Christmas cards to family and friends, but I just don't enjoy either a) making forty of the same card or, b) trying frantically to craft a bunch of different cards and get them mailed in a timely manner in a short period of time.

I have to assume that SU made this decision based on past sales. When you consider how much product from last year's holiday mini made it into the clearance rack, then maybe they've made a smart business decision by eliminating Christmas from the big catalog and only offering a dozen or so Christmas/Holiday sets in the mini.

Anyone else have thoughts about holiday card making?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have some SU products, but not many, so I may not be your target responder, lol.

Christmas is probably my favorite holiday of all. I love the whole Christmas season, and yes it makes me crazy, and yes I still love it!

I make cards for other holidays, too, but look forward to making my Christmas cards every year. I make about 35-40 and they are all the same design.

I am one of those lucky? people who does not get bored making the same card many times, so that part doesn't bother me.

I have noticed each year that the number of Christmas cards I receive from friends and family is declining each year. I think that just goes along with the fact that all kinds of "old fashioned" written communication are becoming a thing of the past.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #3  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm like Bugga, I love Christmas and I thoroughly enjoy creating Christmas cards. And I have lots of Christmas stamps - they probably make 1/4-1/3 of my stamp collection. And I also do not mind making many multiples of a design.
And I probably send out more Christmas cards these days than ever. But......... I get fewer than ever. I probably get back, percentage-wise, about 1% of the number of cards I send out. I find it is my grandparents generation for the most part that still sends cards. As there are fewer and fewer of them, I get fewer cards back.
I am a bit :( that there are no Christmas stamps in the new catty. However, I will just look forward to the Holiday Mini. Aside from the fact I already own enough Christmas stamps to probably make my Christmas cards for the next 20 years without ever buying another one. Like that is going to happen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 798 Likes on 326 Posts

I love Christmas and enjoy making cards and all sorts of stamped crafts. Actually there are 3 more than last year. Last year there were 29 stamps offered, this year there are 32.

There is a carry over list of stamps from last year too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE Christmas, too. And I, too, have noticed a big decrease in the number of cards we receive each year.

Hate to break the bad news, but the SU Holiday mini has only about a dozen Christmas stamp sets, and a few "winter" sets with snowmen, snowflakes and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I love Christmas and enjoy making cards and all sorts of stamped crafts. Actually there are 3 more than last year. Last year there were 29 stamps offered, this year there are 32.

There is a carry over list of stamps from last year too.
Ah, I didn't know about the carryover list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #7  

I have the catalog in front of me. There are 26 sets in the holiday catalog plus six more sets on the carry over list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I love making Christmas cards; I do 60+ and never more than 4 of the same kind. I have very few SU stamps but have 4 photo boxes full of other manufacturer's Christmas stamps, some over 20 years old. I start early in the year and work on them throughout the year so that they are all done by November. We do receive fewer cards, not just Christmas but birthday and anniversary cards too. My daughter rarely sends us cards and my brother hasn't sent one in almost 10 years. I do know that some people appreciate my cards since they either email, call or send me a note telling me that they love receiving them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I make Christmas cards throughout the year, almost never 2 of the same (if I use the same stamp I do it in different colors) - then I don't have to rush when it gets close to Christmas. I'm not planning to buy any new Christmas stamps though - I have plenty.. I think I should get rid of some that I don't use.
we are also getting less Christmas cards, but I get good feedback from people I send them to, so that's a reward enough for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I have the catalog in front of me. There are 26 sets in the holiday catalog plus six more sets on the carry over list.
I was counting Christmas related stamp sets, not winter or fall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I was counting Christmas related stamp sets, not winter or fall.
Yes Christmas, not fall. Other demos have counted as well. 26 plus six in the carry over list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Christmas is my Favorite time of the year, besides summer, when I was living in Hawaii.

I love making Christmas cards. An I am sorry to say or happy, there are many companies out there besides SU that make Beautiful Christmas and winter themed stamp sets. You don't have to make 50 of the same, you can make all different.

If you need help with other companies to choose from I am sure you will get plenty of help if you ask. All you have to do is state your style and people will start posting links with ideas. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Christmas is my Favorite time of the year, besides summer, when I was living in Hawaii.

I love making Christmas cards. An I am sorry to say or happy, there are many companies out there besides SU that make Beautiful Christmas and winter themed stamp sets. You don't have to make 50 of the same, you can make all different.

If you need help with other companies to choose from I am sure you will get plenty of help if you ask. All you have to do is state your style and people will start posting links with ideas. :p
You are so right, there are many companies with beautiful Christmas stamps! North woods and Impression Obsession have some of my favorites. I love the country scenes that North woods has and IO has a sleigh horse that I am dying to have!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't decreased my own Christmas card making... now I DO make a lot of Christmas cards using winter-themed things, but I never make "Happy Winter" cards - I put "Merry Christmas" on all of them. The most multiples I can bear to make is eight. I like making all my Christmas cards different. I like to write down the names of the people I want to send Christmas cards to, and then make individual Christmas cards for each of them. MUCH more fun that way. I have an ongoing promise not to buy any more Christmas stamps because I already have SO MANY - but I am constantly breaking it. I even have manger-scene stamps and I am not even a Christian. Most of my stamps are secular though - Christmas trees, holly, hedgehogs with Christmas presents (and Santa hats), stockings, gingerbread men, candy canes, etc. Ooh, now that said, I haven't bought Christmas stamps from Stampin' Up! in years! (though I have bought other SU! items recently)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get fewer cards each year but I still send out the same amount...it might even be increasing now that I think about it. I send to contacts that I work with as well as friends and family. For every family member I say goodbye to during the year, it seems a new friend pops up so for sure the list has not gone down

My Christmas stamps are actually all winter stamps (non religous). I am going to be getting the ornament bundle from SU because I do love it for tags and as a companion to the other ornament set. I do love my tags!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Over the years I have only bought 3-4 Christmas sets. I have used a Christmas stamp from multi-holiday sets also. For some reason I have always wanted to realllllyyy stretch my Christmas sets.

Now Valentine's day..... I have about 12 sets and would buy more! Maybe it's because I can use valentine sets for other occasions...wedding, anniversary, just because, etc.

I never sat down and decided to do this. It just happened. One day I realized I had so many V. Day sets.

I always thought I was the odd one out not buying lots of C. Sets. I have a small family and only make about 20 cards for Christmas. That's plenty for me.

Mary Rose, you made an interesting observation about the mini. Makes sense! I wasn't upset about the slim pickings because I plan to make/case a card I saw here that has triangles punched from the pennant punch & dsp and made into a pine tree...so darn cute!

I make mine all the same. I love assembly line production. Now if I made, say 60 cards I'd have to have about three styles!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-24-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I don't do SU and frankly don't care what they think of the status of Christmas cards.
I make about 100 Christmas cards every year, and intend to keep it up. I make cards all year, and I haven't counted yet to see where I am. I'll count in the beginning of July, and make enough to reach my goal of 100 by the end of July. (I take Christmas in July seriously, LOL) I will still keep making xmas cards after that, but the point is, I don't HAVE to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I make our Christmas cards every year and we usually send out about 60 or so. I'm one of those stampers who likes to make 60 of the same card :p

I have a big box devoted just to Christmas stamps and in fact, it's sitting on my dining room table which is where I stamp. I joined two Christmas card swaps here on SCS just because I love to stamp for the holidays.

I especially like stamping for Christmas when it's hot here in San Diego - it's supposed to be close to 100 degrees this weekend so I'll be sitting at my table, with the a/c on, making Christmas cards ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The trend that I've been noticing is towards more multi-purpose/occasion sets, as opposed to those for a specific holiday, and incorporating more dies and/or punches. One thing that I find frustrating (not just with SU, but across the board), is sets that are so similar to others and/or that have images that "overlap" - the flowers in set A are remarkably similar to those in set B, with different sentiments, for example. Maybe there are only so many ways you can reconfigure a snowman or poinsettia...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #20  

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
The trend that I've been noticing is towards more multi-purpose/occasion sets, as opposed to those for a specific holiday, and incorporating more dies and/or punches. One thing that I find frustrating (not just with SU, but across the board), is sets that are so similar to others and/or that have images that "overlap" - the flowers in set A are remarkably similar to those in set B, with different sentiments, for example. Maybe there are only so many ways you can reconfigure a snowman or poinsettia...?
You're right! I have Christmas stamps that are over 20 years old and from many different companies, but the same images: poinsettias, sleigh, Santa, snowflake etc. Gasp :shock: maybe we are getting OLD and we've seen it all! Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know I'M getting old! I refuse to grow up and/or act my age, though

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jambalaya842View Post
I make cards all year, and I haven't counted yet to see where I am. I'll count in the beginning of July, and make enough to reach my goal of 100 by the end of July. (I take Christmas in July seriously, LOL) I will still keep making xmas cards after that, but the point is, I don't HAVE to.
You make such a good point--I always enjoy making Christmas cards so much more when I feel like I'm doing it because I want to and not because Christmas is right around the corner and I have to! That must be why I was working on them last weekend when it was 90+ degrees and muggy

We send out about 160 Christmas cards every year to long distance friends and family and also DH's employees. I do think that fewer people send cards these days, but that wouldn't change the number I send. Some people are good about calling to stay in touch or updating Facebook. I hate making calls and don't want a Facebook account, so sending handmade cards and notes is my way of letting people know I'm thinking about them.

Because I make so many Xmas cards, I know that the stamps I buy for them will definitely get used, as opposed to all the ones I buy that haven't seen ink yet. I don't mind making 12-24 of the same-style card at a time, because that lets me bliss out to an audiobook while I'm working without having to think too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've hardly bought any stamps this year because most of the stamps I see are so similar to those I already have - and have had for many years. My exceptions to this are the Whipper Snapper snowmen since I seem to want them all and so far this year all my cards are WS snowmen. But my next batch of Christmas cards will be only dies since I couldn't resist the Memory Box dies either - or embossing folders either it seems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be surprised if SU didn't release more stamps for the holidays. Not that I have any sort of inside info as a demo, it just seems they've been releasing more photopolymer stamp sets, collections of single stamps, as well as the monthly "Best Of" stamps, plus with the newly announced design a stamp set contest, I can see them adding to the holiday collection throughout the next 6 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapmomoftwinsView Post
You make such a good point--I always enjoy making Christmas cards so much more when I feel like I'm doing it because I want to and not because Christmas is right around the corner and I have to! That must be why I was working on them last weekend when it was 90+ degrees and muggy

We send out about 160 Christmas cards every year to long distance friends and family and also DH's employees. I do think that fewer people send cards these days, but that wouldn't change the number I send. Some people are good about calling to stay in touch or updating Facebook. I hate making calls and don't want a Facebook account, so sending handmade cards and notes is my way of letting people know I'm thinking about them.

Because I make so many Xmas cards, I know that the stamps I buy for them will definitely get used, as opposed to all the ones I buy that haven't seen ink yet. I don't mind making 12-24 of the same-style card at a time, because that lets me bliss out to an audiobook while I'm working without having to think too much.
I listen to music while making cards. Sometimes Enya or Sarah Mclachlan and other times to Train or Maroon Five.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I listen to music while making cards. Sometimes Enya or Sarah Mclachlan and other times to Train or Maroon Five.
Throw in a little Switchfoot, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #27  

I think it seems like there is less Christmas product in the SU Holiday Mini because of the way the mini is layed out this year. They have several pages of just samples instead of having more samples with the stamp sets and spreading them out like they normally do.

They're also offering a lot more products that make it quick and easy to create a card or gift which might not look quite as appealing to those of us who are thinking about holiday crafts 6 months ahead. I'm guessing that the kits I skimmed over now are going to look waaaay more appealing after I procrastinate over the next 5 months and need some quick last minute projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
I would be surprised if SU didn't release more stamps for the holidays. Not that I have any sort of inside info as a demo, it just seems they've been releasing more photopolymer stamp sets, collections of single stamps, as well as the monthly "Best Of" stamps, plus with the newly announced design a stamp set contest, I can see them adding to the holiday collection throughout the next 6 months.
That's a good point. It is still pretty early in the game.

This has become such a trend-following craft. One company has chevron, one hundred have chevron. Perhaps they're holding back to see what the trend will be this Christmas.

Maybe I need to start making my Christmas cards now! That is probably my biggest problem. I'm more of a procrastination stamper, waiting until the last minute to make the card I need. I have a huge stack of Christmas CDs that I could plug in to inspire me.

BTW, I kinda like the new SU holiday mini. If I were to buy a new Christmas set (which I don't need!), I'd be snagging the set with the cool stag/deer head. As soon as I saw it, I started thinking of the possibilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
If they release a cute kid-like photopolymer Christmas set I might be tempted to break my don't-buy-any-more-Christmas-stamps rule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Throw in a little Switchfoot, too...
Add some Skillet to that list.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jactopView Post
I think it seems like there is less Christmas product in the SU Holiday Mini because of the way the mini is layed out this year. They have several pages of just samples instead of having more samples with the stamp sets and spreading them out like they normally do.

They're also offering a lot more products that make it quick and easy to create a card or gift which might not look quite as appealing to those of us who are thinking about holiday crafts 6 months ahead. I'm guessing that the kits I skimmed over now are going to look waaaay more appealing after I procrastinate over the next 5 months and need some quick last minute projects.
I think you hit the nail right on the head Jackie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #32  

Quote:

That's a good point. It is still pretty early in the game.

This has become such a trend-following craft. One company has chevron, one hundred have chevron. Perhaps they're holding back to see what the trend will be this Christmas.

Maybe I need to start making my Christmas cards now! That is probably my biggest problem. I'm more of a procrastination stamper, waiting until the last minute to make the card I need. I have a huge stack of Christmas CDs that I could plug in to inspire me.

BTW, I kinda like the new SU holiday mini. If I were to buy a new Christmas set (which I don't need!), I'd be snagging the set with the cool stag/deer head. As soon as I saw it, I started thinking of the possibilities.
You're right! It took me a while to adjust and change along with the trends and development of new tools. The die cut machines changed everything big time. I must admit I'm kind of weary of chevrons and banners.
Pooh and I remember back in the 90's when alcohol inks were the big thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Default More cards

My Xmas list is expanded since nieces and nephews and kids have grown and moved out on their own. I do like making Xmas cards even though I, too, get less and less. I'm a sucker for snow men, snowflakes and blue, white and silver or glittered colors. I probably won't buy anymore Xmas stuff because I have a ton. And yes haven't used a lot of them yet.:oops:

It's no fair that people are discussing a catalog that's not out yet! :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
My Xmas list is expanded since nieces and nephews and kids have grown and moved out on their own. I do like making Xmas cards even though I, too, get less and less. I'm a sucker for snow men, snowflakes and blue, white and silver or glittered colors. I probably won't buy anymore Xmas stuff because I have a ton . And yes haven't used a lot of them yet.:oops:

Then why do you want to see the catalog? Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
My Xmas list is expanded since nieces and nephews and kids have grown and moved out on their own. I do like making Xmas cards even though I, too, get less and less. I'm a sucker for snow men, snowflakes and blue, white and silver or glittered colors. I probably won't buy anymore Xmas stuff because I have a ton. And yes haven't used a lot of them yet.:oops:

Cheer up, Martha! I got mine in the mail this week!

I like the burlap ribbon, but that's about it. My Mom was seriously disappointed in this catty, and didn't find a thing she liked. She thought the kits would make cute gifts, but she's not buying anything this round.

After checking out all of the sneak peeks coming from other companies at the summer CHA this week, I have to confess that SU will not be getting my holiday crafty money this time around. Too many fantastic new products from other companies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Then why do you want to see the catalog? Lol
Because I still want to see all the stuff! That's totally a reasonable position isn't it? ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Cheer up, Martha! I got mine in the mail this week!

I like the burlap ribbon, but that's about it. My Mom was seriously disappointed in this catty, and didn't find a thing she liked. She thought the kits would make cute gifts, but she's not buying anything this round.

After checking out all of the sneak peeks coming from other companies at the summer CHA this week, I have to confess that SU will not be getting my holiday crafty money this time around. Too many fantastic new products from other companies!
I guess I'm getting old. There's sooo much (good) stuff out there that it seems overwhelming to me. I started stamping with SU, and my preference in images is more traditional. It's just easier for me to keep with SU colors and inks and stamps. Although, you have now made me want to have fun by looking at other companies. It never hurts to look, right?!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nothing wrong with looking!!

My plan for this Christmas was to start early and use one set. I now have 3 sets, did start early, and another set is on its way. I think this is is for 2013. I normally don't send that many cards but a lot happened this year and I want to make sure my friends and family have our new address and all the latest news!

The only way I enjoy it is to start early and make multiples of different cards.

Last edited by Joan B; 07-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to confess that I haven't really sent any cards out for the past couple of years. I *have* MADE cards for samples (I always make a full card so that I can either use it or sell it). I have enough cards I have made for samples to last me {cough, cough...ahem} a few years. This year I'm going to be making an effort to get some sent out and recently reopened my Etsy shop so I can sell some of them.

At first, I wasn't that thrilled with the SU! Holiday catalog, but after getting swaps at convention and seeing the stuff the concept artists made, I've got a lot more of it on my wishlist than I did before I left. The perils of attending convention!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

I loved making hand-made cards to send for Christmas. Christmas stamp sets are my favorite to buy - I know, even if I have three different poinsettia stamps. lol! I usually send 40 cards, all different designs.

Another thought is that digi cards have become more popular. Last year I sent a digital card and they were a HUGE hit! Even with my sister who was sure she couldn't do without a handmade card. I think many are going this route because it's so easy to include their photos. I'd be watching for some great digi options to be coming our way.
Reply With Quote Likes