Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent chair

I suspect that for most of us, the chair we use in our craft room is a reject from somewhere else in the house. I am no different in this respect.

My problem is that I have lower back issues and when I sit scrapping or cardmaking for any time I end up with pain in my upper back as well.

So I am looking for recommendations for a chair.

Over to you...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #2  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I started by going to the local office supply store and sitting in every single chair they had a display model of, regardless of price. Then I picked out the five I thought felt the nicest, and kept trying them all again & again 'til I found one I felt was the most comfortable and what I considered a reasonable price point. Three years later, I don't regret my choice. (Though I AM contemplating taking the arms off so that I can actually push it in under the desk if I want to.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #3  
CBC Lady Violet

Need to go birthday shopping this week, but am a bit stumped as to what to buy! No good ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #4  
CBC Lady Violet

Sorry about the above post - I accidentally posted to the wrong thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

That's okay. By the way, I have just stolen your quote. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I requested $$$ toward a good chair one Christmas. I was like Goldilocks at the office store. I am short so the chair backs are often contoured too high for me. I love the chair I bought-never put the arms on.

Good luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Have no idea what is available out there in Australia. In U.S., I suppose the Herman Miller ergonomic chairs are considered exceptional in office type chairs. Don't know if they are sold internationally. I thought I've seen one being sold at Costco.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KempseyView Post
I suspect that for most of us, the chair we use in our craft room is a reject from somewhere else in the house. I am no different in this respect.

My problem is that I have lower back issues and when I sit scrapping or cardmaking for any time I end up with pain in my upper back as well.

Over to you...
When you find a good one, let me know, lol. I'm sitting on a folding chair that goes with a folding card table. I have put a pillow on the seat and on the back, but it's still pretty bad.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have found that the best option for me is a customised chair! I have a prolapsed disc in my lower spine and I tend to hunch forward so to ease my back pain and make myself sit correctly I attached a back support cushion similar to this one, and my bum is on a gel pad cushion

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I saw those chair backs at the office supply store the other day, cheap as anything. I think it would be worth giving that a go. Thanks.

The folding chair sounds like torture!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

It might not be the chair. It could be the desk/table is too low or high for the chair. I have both and it's a toss up as to which is the more tolerable discomfort: schooching my butt forward in the chair and hunching over the deck (the too low desk) ...and getting pains in my shoulders, neck and lower back) or raising my shoulders abnormally high and hunching forward to be able to place my arms on the table and getting different pains in nearby locations (from the above locations). And then there's always the neck pains from falling asleep at the computer with my head lowered at a weird angle).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I recommend a chair with as many adjustments as possible. Seat height and back height adjustments are essentials. For me, the amount of "give" when I lean back in the chair is critical also. It is also useful to be able to adjust the distance from the seat to the back which changes the "depth" of the seat. If the chair has arms, being able to adjust the distance from the seat to the arm rests is also helpful. (Some of us have wider bodies than others.) Hope my description make sense.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Dea, this absolutely makes sense and I agree with you about the bodies, having a somewhat wider one myself!

It seems as though I will have to go shopping with all of your ideas in mind.

Thank you all very much for your contributions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts

If you like arms on your chair but they won't go under the desk, lower the seat when you are ready to quit for the day - the arms will go under the desk easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I found that I tend to lean over my desk as I work, so the chair doesn't make a blind bit of difference to my back. however, it being comfy to my backside is very important. I started out with a wooden folding chair with a cushion and that didn't work at all!!!! I went for an office chair with no arms so I could pull it up closer to my desk.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I use a sewing chair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I HAVE TO say, you don't need to spend an arm & a leg for a new chair! I purchased a $40 Office Chair from Office Max- a "task chair" when they had a Sale! I even got Free Shipping! Of course, it ISN'T a leather chair but, "bonded leather!" I have been thinking of making a cover to protect it! Oh yes, it doesn't have ANY arms either! So, I can pull right up to my desk as close as I want & swivel all around easily! (I have a desk that has an arm that pulls out, that I like to use for my mouse & crafting supplies---an old teachers desk). AND don't forget to get a mat for under your chair that will protect your floor / help you slide around on those wheels! My chair has the height adjustment too! Our kids, who are old enough to know better LOVE IT.... The things they come up with....So, watch your kids when you get one too! They'll think it's a Carnival Ride! HAPPY SHOPPING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I have been using this back support for over a year. They are great! I even bought one for my husband's chair. As for the chair, mine came from Ikea, at $99.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Hi, I'm an Aussie too. Officeworks will have a variety of chairs to choose from and at price to suit any budget. You can sometimes pick up reasonable ergonomic office chairs at second hand office furniture suppliers. There are a couple of good ones scattered around Sydney. With regard to your chair and workspace; you should sit comfortably in your chair with your thighs at right angles to your body and parallel with the floor. Sit well back in your chair with your thighs fully supported and adjust the back rest to sit comfortably in the small of your back. This back rest position will assist you to sit upright and should reduce fatigue. Your feet should sit comfortably on the floor. Sit at your desk with your arms bent at right angles. Your arms should be able to rest comfortably on your desk without you needing to lift your shoulders to move your hands. You may need to adjust your chair height to suit the desk. If you need to raise the chair height too much then you may need to support your feet with a foot rest under the desk. I would recommend no chair arms as they limit your flexiblity and movement and can cause injury if you jam your hands against the desk. A gas lift chair is easy to adjust and they come in packs and are reasonably easy to put together. Officeworks should have someone to help explain the chair adjustments when you check it out. Don't go for Ikea as the chairs just aren't good enough quality to last long. Same with Target, Big W or Kmart. A proper commercial quality office chair will be your best friend for years and you'll craft in comfort. I speak from experience both personal and professional. Good luck with your search. Ciao, Meg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Meg.
I actually live on the mid north coast of NSW so a few hours north of Sydney. I did get to an office supply company and have purchased a good quality commercial chair with brilliant lumbar support. It can be adjusted up and down so I have put it up as high as possible and I also purchased a foot rest. The back is adjusted now so that I have no reason to slouch.

What I need to do is to monitor the time I am sitting at the desk and get up and move around more regularly. Hopefully this, and my swish new chair, will be the end of exacerbation of my lower back problems and increased pain in the upper back.

I do thank you all for taking the time to suggest solutions to my chair issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Kempsy I have a similar back problem and after an op I was given at my work a standing desk, built to suit my working height - I love it. Trouble is I have stuff allover it but is great for constructing and stamping.. I sit for the computer but stand to create - if you have a good handyman or woman who can build you one or raise an existing desk up to bench height and make sure its a good working height for you it could be the answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I am with SHOGUN I have an adjustable chair for my desk, but my desk is standing height. My husband made it for me with melamine and the square storage drawers that you find at Michaels. the surface even tilts if I want it to. I stand mainly when creating but sit to use computer etc. There is a pic here
scrapbook room | jazzydoodle designs

hope this helps. I got my chair at staples office supply. I just sat until I found one I liked that would adjust to both height levels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I also lean forward too much for the back to make much difference and I sit on one foot so thick padding is the most important thing to me. So sorry, no good recommendations. I pinned an article about recovering a chair and as one spot is nearly worn through, I will need to do that soon. But as many adjustable parts as possible makes sense.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

This is kinda timely. I just celebrated my 20th year anniversary. While some lucky brides receive 2nd honeymoons, new cars or diamond anniversary rings. I received a new chair! Yup that is right, a new chair!

My back had really been killing me lately and I had been complaining about it for months and he uses a Serta Tempurapedic for work and LOVES it. He had been trying to talk me into it and I just did not want to pay that kind of money. He got it for me anyway! (I believer they are from Staples) It is fully adjustable, lumbar (I am just under 5ft) height, arms (height and angle) He did get me the leather but it does have mesh options.

My back has not even ached since then! Totally worth the investment!

Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

My stamping chair has no arms or no back. I too lean forward and also had back problems before my surgery. The herniated disk I had made it painful to sit, but standing for hours was tiring. Therefore I got the one shown in the attached picture (forgive my messy craft room)from our Staples that is adjustable for height. One actually puts weight on the lower legs and bottom, so it sort of spreads it out. I can raise it so I'm nearly in a standing position, or lower it so I'm more like sitting. Not sure at all what they are called, but I can use it for hours on end. It was not expensive either---$40 or $50. Good luck in your search. A comfortable way to work is so important.
Attached Thumbnails
Decent chair-stamping-chair.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

i do all my crafting standing, i built my table so it stands high. i do not usually get the upper/middle of the back pain, which my chiro told me was weak muscle between my shoulder blades, but a year of weights later and i still get it, chopping vegetables is a killer. i also have low back issues sitting in my computer chair.

i had to go with my son to an orientation about his last two years of nursing school and the chairs were awesome. so when everyone left the room i turned a chair over to get a name "herman miller" i went home to look it up and they start about $600. i thought hmmm there had to be 50 of those chairs and that was in just one room. no wonder they charge $35,000 a year tuition! but if you can afford it, i guess they are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I had to share my story. I doze off sometimes in my regular task chair to revitilize my creative juices. I thought "they need a reclining office chair". That next Sunday there was an ad at Office Max that had one. I rushed over and bought it. It does have a stable base (no wheels) so I still have to scoot myself up to the table but it wonderful for those quick revitalizing breaks. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

They think of EVERYTHING don't they???? LOOOOOOVE your story!!! HAPPY NAPPING, I MEAN CRAFTING!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still looking for a chair. I use a kitchen table chair. It's awful, straight wooden back. I have awful back pain from nerve damage. I can't sit for more then an hour at a time. Hubbies chair is nice and sometimes I sit at his desk and craft. I keep looking. Now that school is starting, hoping to find a nice, soft chair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Hi STYXROCKME!
This was the exact same predicament that I was in. I do no have my own craft room and have to craft at the dinning table. My back was KILLING me for months. My husband works from home and has a Serta Tempurapedic mesh back chair from Staples. Since he works 10-14 hours a day and is sitting....he raves about his chair.
He took me to go get one of the Serta Tempurapedic chairs for our anniversary. There are about 4 or 5 models. I opted for the upscale brown leather. I had to order the brown from their website b/c they only had black. (All my furniture is dark brown wood and since it has to go at the dinning table I opted for one that "matched" somewhat. It took about 5 days for it to arrive despite the store telling me two weeks.
I have to tell you, after about 2 days of no crafting to let my back rest I was feeling ok. Once my chair arrived I started using it and my back has NEVER hurt since then.
I do HIGHLY recommend this chair despite the fact that it was a bit pricey.
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I got the best for me, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KempseyView Post

Over to you...
It was an expensive chair.
Like you I have lower back problems. Mine stem from having radiation therapy 30 years ago to save my life against cancer. The long term effects of radiation and the spinal cord wasn't given much thought. I spent a few years in a wheelchair due to the pain until Medtronics invented the infusion morphine pump which is implanted and gives me constant pain relief with no pills to worry about. Yippee! Thanks to that, I am out of the wheelchair and back to my life.
But my back must be thought of before I can do anything.
I went to a store called "Relax the Back" for their zero gravity pillow system (this was before the morphine pump). While I was there I sat in all of their office chairs and fell in love. A salesman came over and told me "if you think it feels good now, wait until we adjust it to your needs" I looked at the price tag and said, thanks but no way and stayed on my old kitchen chair.
Then Christmas came early. For my birthday, my hubby, my son and his family and a good friend of mine all went in together and bought me this chair.
It is a bit heavy to haul around on carpeting between my computer area and work table, but it feels like butter. Mine is in the Dreamweave cloth, not leather. I call Relax the Back store whenever it gets messed up, usually my fault for messing with the knobs, but they come out, free of charge, lube it replaced the seat once (I paid for that), they even brought out a mouse tray for the arm for me to try for 2 weeks. It was nice, but it got in the way when I am stamping. The arms go up and down and in and out, it leans back and the seat adjusts if you need to sit your butt back more or if you are an edge sitter.
If you can afford it, this is the best chair for people with back pain. But you get what you pay for, I have had nothing break off of this chair and I have had for 12 years not.
Reply With Quote Likes