Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Question SU Magnetic Platform

Has anyone out there actually used the "Big Shot Magnetic Platform" from Stampin Up? I'm wondering if the magnets are strong enough to hold the die in place with the cutting edge down over the stamped image? Of course, Using the cutting pad between die + paper and platform. AND has the original Multipurpose Platform been discontinued by Sizzix?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes, I have used the magnetic platform.
Yes, it is strong enough to hold your framelit, etc. down on the cardstock in the proper sandwich of magnetic platform, cutting plate, cardstock/paper to be die cut, top cutting plate.
The plate holds the die beautifully. I wish I had had this a long, long time ago. ;)

In answer to your 2nd question, I'm not sure whether or not Sizzix will keep the regular Multipurpose platform. You could probably contact Sizzix via their website to ask. The new magnetic platform is not a replacement for Multipurpose one, as the magnetic platform does not have tab layers for various needs.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Has anyone out there actually used the "Big Shot Magnetic Platform" from Stampin Up? I'm wondering if the magnets are strong enough to hold the die in place with the cutting edge down over the stamped image? Of course, Using the cutting pad between die + paper and platform. AND has the original Multipurpose Platform been discontinued by Sizzix?
Yes, the original Multipurpose Platform has been discontinued. My understanding is Sizzix replaced it with a longer version so extended cutting plates are no longer needed.

The Magnetic Platform is on the top of my wishlist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am waiting not so patiently for mine to arrive. My demo told me they are on backorder until at least July 1. Then she said it is first come to those who ordered first. So I could be waiting a long while since convention is in July :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the magnetic platform. Today I cut out the Backyard Basics set and it worked perfectly. This is one of those why didn't they think of this before things. Glad I bought it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the magnetic platform doesn't work so well if your cutting plates are warped. Would anyone who has used it like to share your experience on that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Can that magnetic plate be used in the Sizzix Vagabond as well as the Big Shot? I want the ability to hold stuff with the magnets but not if it won't work in my Vagabond of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
I am waiting not so patiently for mine to arrive. My demo told me they are on backorder until at least July 1. Then she said it is first come to those who ordered first. So I could be waiting a long while since convention is in July :(
I am going to be ordering some time in the next two weeks. This is a bummer that it is back ordered. Hope yours arrives soon.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I am going to be ordering some time in the next two weeks. This is a bummer that it is back ordered. Hope yours arrives soon.

Shirl
Thanks

I will be sure to post all of my opinions as soon as I have it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Question Magnetic platform

How does it work? Is it just a magnet sheet that holds the sandwich together?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
How does it work? Is it just a magnet sheet that holds the sandwich together?

Jutta
Here's a Youtube video that shows the difference between the two platforms.
Big Shot's Magnetic Platform - My Tool Pick! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
So sorry to hear that. I guess it was good that I ordered it online when I did. I had a feeling it would be popular, but I didn't realize how much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmitchellView Post
I've heard the magnetic platform doesn't work so well if your cutting plates are warped. Would anyone who has used it like to share your experience on that?
The magnetic pull is not as strong with warped plates, although it still holds. I believe I am going to get a second set of plates just for the magnetic platform the next time they are on sale somewhere. Meantime, I straightened out my plates quite a bit by doing a marathon embossing session. That improved the magnetic pull quite a bit with those plates.

BTW, for those of you that have used the Genius Magnetic Platform, the pull on this one is much stronger. Just this evening I was at a craft store that sells the Genius and I wanted to confirm my suspicion, as it had been a while since I had handled a Genius. I'd say the magnetic strength of the SU/Sizzix platform without cutting pads is at least 5x greater than the Genius without cutting pads. You know how the Genius has magnetic "cold spots" - small patches where there doesn't seem to be any magnetic pull? There aren't any of those on the SU platform as far as I can tell. There is actually a warning label about using it around pacemakers and I don't think that is an overreaction. The other thing I have found interesting about the magnetic platform is that I don't need to use my metal shim plate on about half the wafer thin dies that I would normally need to with both the Multipurpose Platform that came with my Big Shot and the long one I bought separately. It seems to be a better fit for wafer thin dies somehow.

All in all, I think this is a truly useful item for wafer thin die users - especially if using tape and/or sticky notes annoy you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

yes, this is disappointing. I also ordered and my demo never told me it was back ordered that long. New catalog and something is already back ordered.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesh4rkView Post
Can that magnetic plate be used in the Sizzix Vagabond as well as the Big Shot? I want the ability to hold stuff with the magnets but not if it won't work in my Vagabond of course.
I am also curious about the use with the Vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

If the platform works in the Big Shot, it should work in the Vagabond. The opening is the same width.

Someone said it didn't work in her original Cuttlebug. I think the CB opening is slightly narrower than the BS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
If the platform works in the Big Shot, it should work in the Vagabond. The opening is the same width.

Someone said it didn't work in her original Cuttlebug. I think the CB opening is slightly narrower than the BS.
I'm thinking it will work in the Vagabond but I'll wait to see if someone who has actually used with the Vagabond to chime in. When I "assume" you know that works. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
I'm thinking it will work in the Vagabond but I'll wait to see if someone who has actually used with the Vagabond to chime in. When I "assume" you know that works. . .
Doesn't SU! have a "Contact Us" email address at the bottom of their web page? They have got to know the answer to this. If they worked with Sizzix to develop this platform, I would bet money that the platform has been tested in at least all of the Sizzix-built machines, and possibly some of other brands. At the very least, I doubt they would tell you it will work if they actually aren't sure. I also suspect Sizzix knows and would tell you if you asked them. They seem like the kind of company that doesn't want to see their customers breaking their machines due to lack of information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes, the magnetic platform works just fine with the Vagabond. Everything that works in the Big Shot will also work in the Vagabond and the Big Kick. I have both the Vagabond and the Big Shot, and I know that the magnetic platform works because I tried it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73View Post
So sorry to hear that. I guess it was good that I ordered it online when I did. I had a feeling it would be popular, but I didn't realize how much.

The magnetic pull is not as strong with warped plates, although it still holds. I believe I am going to get a second set of plates just for the magnetic platform the next time they are on sale somewhere. Meantime, I straightened out my plates quite a bit by doing a marathon embossing session. That improved the magnetic pull quite a bit with those plates.

BTW, for those of you that have used the Genius Magnetic Platform, the pull on this one is much stronger. Just this evening I was at a craft store that sells the Genius and I wanted to confirm my suspicion, as it had been a while since I had handled a Genius. I'd say the magnetic strength of the SU/Sizzix platform without cutting pads is at least 5x greater than the Genius without cutting pads. You know how the Genius has magnetic "cold spots" - small patches where there doesn't seem to be any magnetic pull? There aren't any of those on the SU platform as far as I can tell. There is actually a warning label about using it around pacemakers and I don't think that is an overreaction. The other thing I have found interesting about the magnetic platform is that I don't need to use my metal shim plate on about half the wafer thin dies that I would normally need to with both the Multipurpose Platform that came with my Big Shot and the long one I bought separately. It seems to be a better fit for wafer thin dies somehow.

All in all, I think this is a truly useful item for wafer thin die users - especially if using tape and/or sticky notes annoy you.
I use the Genius and so far so good, although that's interesting to hear that the Sizzix one has a stronger pull. One thing I like about the Genius is that I don't need a cutting plate directly on top of the magnetic platform and the top cutting plate is a self-healing mat. So far it hasn't shown any signs of warping, but I haven't had it that long. Of course, the fact that there's no bottom plate means I need to do all my cutting with the die facing up. Obviously that's a problem if you prefer to stamp first and line up your die around the stamped image.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmitchellView Post
I use the Genius and so far so good, although that's interesting to hear that the Sizzix one has a stronger pull. One thing I like about the Genius is that I don't need a cutting plate directly on top of the magnetic platform and the top cutting plate is a self-healing mat. So far it hasn't shown any signs of warping, but I haven't had it that long. Of course, the fact that there's no bottom plate means I need to do all my cutting with the die facing up. Obviously that's a problem if you prefer to stamp first and line up your die around the stamped image.
Yeah, I really like to be able to line the die up with more precision than what the Genius presently offers. That said, those self-healing cutting mats are an excellent idea. I suspect in the next couple of years we are going to see further innovations on the platform/mat/plate side of things with all the die cutters on the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

SU! got the magnetic platform as a first release. I ordered mine the day of it was released and love it! Works with the dies wonderfully.

Then there are a few online stores that let you pre-order the platform for a later release. This one Scrapbooking Made Simple for Dies Stamps & So Much More is cheaper than SU!, but won't get them until August.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
yes, this is disappointing. I also ordered and my demo never told me it was back ordered that long. New catalog and something is already back ordered.
Mine is on backorder too. Unfortunately these can't be sent in bulk by plane because of the magnets. So it takes longer to receive the shipments from Sizzix. SU is filling the backorder as shipments are received.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if this will work in the Cuttlebug? Would someone be willing to share the dimensions of this plate? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I read in another thread that it does not work in the Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I have also heard that it doesn't work in the Cuttlebug. However, the platform is 6 1/8" x 8 7/8" x 5/8".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73View Post
I have also heard that it doesn't work in the Cuttlebug. However, the platform is 6 1/8" x 8 7/8" x 5/8".
Thanks, I was afraid it would not work and did not want to spend the money to find out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Big Shot Magnetic Platform

Quote:

New catalog and something is already back ordered.
I know, right? I KNEW something like this would happen when I ordered mine. I had a feeling this was what would happen because I figured it was going to be a hot item. I placed an order with my SU demo on June 10th and mine is still on backorder. :( I'm going to her house this week for a class & I'm crossing my fingers its in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I just heard that SU is suspending all orders of it because the demand is so high and they have sold out. I don't think they anticipate shipping again until the fall. I think that backorders will ship first, so if you haven't got one on order it could be months before you are able to get one. I hope some of the other retailers will have some in stock soon, but I suspect that their supply will sell out pretty fast too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Holy Toledo! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny HallView Post
I know, right? I KNEW something like this would happen when I ordered mine. I had a feeling this was what would happen because I figured it was going to be a hot item. I placed an order with my SU demo on June 10th and mine is still on backorder. :( I'm going to her house this week for a class & I'm crossing my fingers its in.
Let us know if you got it or not. My demo is at convention, so I am not sure when I will know when mine is expected or was magically delivered while she was gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I think this product was more popular than even Sizzix anticipated. I read on the Stampin' Pretty (Mary Fish) site today that SU went through what they thought would be a 13 week supply in 3 weeks. Would be interesting to know how many platforms that was. When I ordered mine on July 2 they were backordered until Aug. 29th. So I wait. If I had known it would have been on my initial order. Mary also indicated SU was receiving periodic shipments and filling orders in the order they were received.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Default very disappointing

Quote:

I love SU, but it is really annoying that they didn't better anticipate the popularity of this item. I am a hobbyist demo and I have two of these on backorder. =(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I think Sizzix didn't quite anticipate the demand, either. Between the magnetic platform stock issues with Stampin' Up and the back log from their recent 75% off sale (they didn't anticipate the amount of orders), it seems to me that Sizzix is only now learning just how popular they've actually become. I guess if you're in business, better to have that discovery than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Can the Sizzix magnetic platform be used for embossing with Spellbinders/Nestabilities dies?
Reply With Quote Likes