Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG! Wild Wild West on ebay.....

While I was on ebay I decided to check out listings for SU Wild Wild West stamp set. One of the sets on my "wish list". I get a kick out of the prices being asked and paid out for this set. I searched "sold" listings to see what some of the recent prices paid for it were. AND... are you ready for this?
On May 13 some lucky bidder/buyer somehow managed to snag it for $15.99!!!!!!!!!! Yes Fifteen dollars and ninety nine cents! (plus $5.60 shipping) Can you believe it! Why can't I ever get that lucky. Kinda felt sorry for another buyer that same day that bought one for $140.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I am never that lucky

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I would NEVER pay THAT much for a stamp set. Wow!

Christi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, I'm not that lucky, either. Man, I would love to own that set for $20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Looks like it was a Buy It Now listing. Maybe the owner didn't know how sought-after it is? Even with shipping, somebody scored a major deal!

I gave up looking for that set on ebay several years ago. On June 1, somebody else paid $160, and it looks like there were at least 4 bidders at the $100+ point. Yowzers!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I often wonder though, on Ebay, how often a group of friends play around with bidding to get a higher price. No one would every know if an actual transaction ever took place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Seriously... that $140 was not "real". They are not supposed to do it, but when a person is not getting the price they want and the time is close to closing they get a friend to bid some outrageous amount so that the automatic bidders who have set a reasonable limit won't get it for less than the seller actually wants for the item. You know that someone would not pay $140 for a stamp set - no matter how good it was!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think people do pay a lot if they desperately want a stamp. I saw a PSX botanical stamp go for $500 once. I'm not joking. I ended up chatting with the lady who was selling it and she was flabbergasted. Apparently two ladies both had the whole botanical set apart from this one stamp and they didn't want to losel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I've found that winning on ebay is a game. If you really want something you almost have to find an ending time that's in the middle of the night (even on the west coast), stay up and then bid in the final minutes. That action is preceded by watching previous auctions to see what's a reasonable price to pay. There are also certain times when bidding is slower than others. July4th evening might be such a time.

As others have noted there are all kinds of tricks used to drive up a price and perhaps even the desirability of an item. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Good luck,

mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #10  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
I've found that winning on ebay is a game. If you really want something you almost have to find an ending time that's in the middle of the night (even on the west coast), stay up and then bid in the final minutes. That action is preceded by watching previous auctions to see what's a reasonable price to pay. There are also certain times when bidding is slower than others. July4th evening might be such a time.

As others have noted there are all kinds of tricks used to drive up a price and perhaps even the desirability of an item. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Good luck,

mob
knowing the ending time doesn't really help anymore, there is a system you can opt for that automatically bids a higher bid for you the second someone else bids. A bidder doesn't even have to be online when they win a bid. It has taken all the fun out of ebay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
Seriously... that $140 was not "real". They are not supposed to do it, but when a person is not getting the price they want and the time is close to closing they get a friend to bid some outrageous amount so that the automatic bidders who have set a reasonable limit won't get it for less than the seller actually wants for the item. You know that someone would not pay $140 for a stamp set - no matter how good it was!
I know someone that did that for his wife when she was trying to sell something. EBay found out via IP addresses (dishonest and not so bright) and he was banned from eBay for 18 months. This happened about a month ago. The guy participates on another forum I am a member of and he actually had the temerity to get on and complain about his punishment. This is a forum that often discusses the global financial crisis and the corruption that fed it, so no one had any sympathy for him. In fact, he slunk away with his tail between his legs. 8-)

So it does appear that if it is reported and can be proven, eBay will crack down on people for this kind of dishonesty.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzelgirl8View Post
I saw a PSX botanical stamp go for $500 once. I'm not joking. I ended up chatting with the lady who was selling it and she was flabbergasted. Apparently two ladies both had the whole botanical set apart from this one stamp and they didn't want to losel
This is something to be very careful about on eBay. I think there is something about auctions - especially if you really want what you are bidding on - that get some people really worked up and they will act on instinct and ignore their reason to get what they want, even if they can't really afford it. I'm sure it taps into some primitive survival instinct, and that probably makes it easier to get carried away. I also think it's related to the same urge that people experience when they gamble. I will bid on some auctions and I've even won a few at a decent price, but I much prefer "Buy It Now" because I can keep my reason in the driver's seat and my instincts in the trunk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I recently acquired a couple older Stampin Up catalogs and was surprised to see PSX Botanicals in them!

I do believe some are willing to pay top dollar for a set if it is one they really want. Especially if it is a hard to find. I have to admit I have almost gotten carried away on ebay a time or two, and have bid more than I had planned on occassion but never to an extreme. So I know how you can get caught up in the moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Can you imagine how many sales SU would get if they would just re-release that set? I cannot figure out why they don't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been selling a lot of stuff on ebay this year due to a craft room downsize and can tell you that, while some of the auctions may be rigged, some of the crazy prices that things sell for are definitely real.

Back in January I had someone pay over $110 for the I {heart} hearts clear mount set - I think I started the listing at $5 and was astonished that someone would want it that badly. I thought that was crazy but not a month later I had someone pay over $70 for a single stamp - Baby Steps I think it was called. Tonight, someone paid $158 for a Hello Kitty Sizzix die - with 8 minutes to go it was selling for $45 and then there was a bidding frenzy between 2 people. None of these auctions were rigged by me - just people paying crazy money for something they really want. I've noticed that the bidders seemed to have really high ebay ratings which makes me wonder if they know they can sell it on for even more money.

The majority of things I list sell for less than I originally paid for them, which is what I expect. I have no idea what drives people to pay such outrageous amounts of money for a stamp, a punch etc. but it does happen.

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator - My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I don't shop online but I once had a friend bid on two sets for me on eBay. She asked how high I was willing to go and I told her no higher than the original price. I got both just under that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britbook70View Post
I've been selling a lot of stuff on ebay this year due to a craft room downsize and can tell you that, while some of the auctions may be rigged, some of the crazy prices that things sell for are definitely real.

Back in January I had someone pay over $110 for the I {heart} hearts clear mount set - I think I started the listing at $5 and was astonished that someone would want it that badly. I thought that was crazy but not a month later I had someone pay over $70 for a single stamp - Baby Steps I think it was called. Tonight, someone paid $158 for a Hello Kitty Sizzix die - with 8 minutes to go it was selling for $45 and then there was a bidding frenzy between 2 people. None of these auctions were rigged by me - just people paying crazy money for something they really want. I've noticed that the bidders seemed to have really high ebay ratings which makes me wonder if they know they can sell it on for even more money.

The majority of things I list sell for less than I originally paid for them, which is what I expect. I have no idea what drives people to pay such outrageous amounts of money for a stamp, a punch etc. but it does happen.
I totally believe you. I've seen similar happen with certain vintage sewing machine parts. People seem to go a little nuts with the bidding wars at times.

Ok, inquiring minds want to know... which Hello Kitty die was it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpygirl73View Post
I totally believe you. I've seen similar happen with certain vintage sewing machine parts. People seem to go a little nuts with the bidding wars at times.

Ok, inquiring minds want to know... which Hello Kitty die was it?
It was the Aloha Hello Kitty die - Hello Kitty wearing bikini/sarong with a flower in her hair. I used it when my daughter was in her Hello Kitty phase 4-5 years ago to make her birthday invitations.

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator - My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow!
Reply With Quote Likes