Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharpie Markers

i dont know if im posting on the right section. but admin please move if i do so :p well by the way has anyone of you heard or use sharpie marker?
is it good for coloring ? would it not wear the paper out? and which one is good the fine tip marker or the thin marker? i hope i get a response. cause copic markers are not available here in phil and it is so expensive. hehe

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have used Sharpies for coloring. They are nice because you don't get the streaks you do with the regular water-based markers. They are also much less expensive than COPICs.

The regular tips are good for most images, except really small/detailed images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Sharpie markers to color my images with also. I think the set I have is called "fine tip." They also make a set called "ultra-fine" which is too thin, in my opinion.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Sharpie Ultra Fine and just color in small circles. One thing I don't like about these markers is they do not have names of the color on them anywhere. I would even go with a number ID but mine don't have any indicators. I would like this so if I wanted to reproduce the way I colored an image, I would know exactly what colors I used. (I sometimes colored an extra image and keep it with a stamp. I indicate what color is used where.) The names of the colors are on the packaging but not on the pen. I guess I could cut up the list of names and tape them on the barrel of the pen but that is too much work. (Am I just being lazy?)

The colors are nice and bright. So if this is an alcohol ink marker you have access to-go for it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Secretzel--I use both Sharpie Markers and BIC markers: both are alcohol-based like Copics and Spectrum Noirs. Play around with different white cardstocks if you can. I hear that alcohol markers don't work well on Stampin' Up Whisper White. I use Georgia Pacific, but that tends to pill up a bit if I use too much marker. The Sharpie and BIC markers don't come in pastel (light or pale) colors, so be aware that you might be a bit limited. But they are a great lower-cost alternative!

Crafter 4 Life: I took an ultra-fine tip black Sharpie and wrote a number on each marker barrel (1-26?). Then I took a piece of white cardstock, wrote out my numbers and colored an example of each color above the number I assigned to it. I keep the card in the container with my markers. You could do the same thing--it doesn't take very long. Quicker than cutting out the name and glueing/taping it to the marker, plus I have a more accurate display of what the color looks like on cardstock, rather than going by the color on the cover of the marker. It also gives you a "shorthand" way of listing the colors you used on any image.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like them however their colors are a lot more intense than Copics - so I think you need them all!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for your reply . Finally i have a replacement for a copic and doesnt tear up the paper board . Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Blue Heron-

Thank you for the suggestion. I have the Copic Ciaos. I used address labels and wrote the number, punched them out and used a micro glue dot to adhere the 'label' to the cap. This is so i can see the color since i store my Copics horizontally. When I replace the pen, I just transfer the cap. (Don't use many colors enough to feel the need to buy the refill ink.) I will try your method because it sounds like a good one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
Secretzel--I use both Sharpie Markers and BIC markers: both are alcohol-based like Copics and Spectrum Noirs. Play around with different white cardstocks if you can. I hear that alcohol markers don't work well on Stampin' Up Whisper White. I use Georgia Pacific, but that tends to pill up a bit if I use too much marker. The Sharpie and BIC markers don't come in pastel (light or pale) colors, so be aware that you might be a bit limited. But they are a great lower-cost alternative!

Crafter 4 Life: I took an ultra-fine tip black Sharpie and wrote a number on each marker barrel (1-26?). Then I took a piece of white cardstock, wrote out my numbers and colored an example of each color above the number I assigned to it. I keep the card in the container with my markers. You could do the same thing--it doesn't take very long. Quicker than cutting out the name and glueing/taping it to the marker, plus I have a more accurate display of what the color looks like on cardstock, rather than going by the color on the cover of the marker. It also gives you a "shorthand" way of listing the colors you used on any image.

Hope that helps.
I use this system also. I have a hodge-podge collection of markers, Sharpies, Bics, some Copics, Touch Twin and now Spectrum Noir.

I made color charts for each batch of markers, and a little colored square. And you are right, the color of the cap seems to bear no relation to the actual color of the marker, so the colored square is a big help.

Since Sharpies and Bics don't have numbers, I haven't made a chart for them. I just scribble them to see what the color looks like when I'm using them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Bugga--

Make up your OWN numbers for the BICS and Sharpies (I just grabbed one at random and started at "1"). I wrote the number 1 on the barrel of the marker I grabbed, then colored a square with the marker on a white piece of cardstock. I put the number 1 beneath it. Then the next one was 2, etc. When I want to color, I look at my chart to find the numbers of the colors I want, then find the markers.

Hope that helps to clarify it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
Bugga--

Make up your OWN numbers for the BICS and Sharpies (I just grabbed one at random and started at "1"). I wrote the number 1 on the barrel of the marker I grabbed, then colored a square with the marker on a white piece of cardstock. I put the number 1 beneath it. Then the next one was 2, etc. When I want to color, I look at my chart to find the numbers of the colors I want, then find the markers.

Hope that helps to clarify it.
Thank you. Believe me, I don't think I would have thought to do that. :oops: Make up my own numbers for the Sharpies/Bics.

Aren't our brains funny? Sometimes the most obvious thing just doesn't occur to us.

Off to make a Sharpie/Bic chart.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

thanks for the suggestion. im using mixed fine point and ultra fine point and it doesnt ruin my paper!
Reply With Quote Likes