Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something other than Tonic or Genesis?

I have to replace my 12 inch paper trimmer. I am thinking of trying something other than the Tonic. I don't want a rotary cutter. The Genesis is more money than I want to spend. Can anyone give any good recommendations?

Last edited by Kjpp; 06-09-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I understand your thoughts in regards to a Gensis, however if you don't crop away from home a lot Gensis would become your best friend.

I bought one years ago. I absolutely love it. It will cut slivers off of paper if you need it to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a Dahle 533 and have been very happy with it. It's a 12" guillotine style cutter which says it will cut up to 15 sheets of copy paper at once so it's more than capable of cutting cardstock. It's a self-sharpening blade and has a good sturdy metal base. You probably wouldn't want to tote the thing around with you but it's great for a cutter you have on your work table.

I shopped around and got a decent price on eBay, there are a couple on US eBay at the moment at around a hundred bucks which probably gives you a ballpark price if you're comparing stuff.

There's a little YouTube demo here.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

gee there are dozens and dozens of paper cutters that are not rotary. Fiskars and Dahle, Swingline and Carl are just a few brands. Good luck. It is such a personal preference thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I went to my local office supply store and picked up a Swingline guillotine-style trimmer for about $30 on sale. I got it after ordering an expensive rotary-style trimmer that never cut a straight line EVER. It works beautifully, cuts straight every time, and can cut through a several sheets of thin cardstock at a time, 2-3 sheets of thick cardstock, and even thick chipboard (although I wouldn't recommend doing too much of that). Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had lusted after a Genesis for years, but due to the cost instead I purchased a Cutterpillar Pro version 2 in January. Customer service had to help me get it aligned after shipping ( turned out to be really easy to do). I love it! I wish I had all the money I had spent over the years for so many other cutters., trimmers, and blades. I will never need another cutter unless I wanted to now get the Version 3. Cutting is now a no brainer. I feel so comfortable with the Cutterpillar, it is an extension of myself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I came across a great deal on a Purple Cow 2-in-1 12 inch cutter (it is rotary on one side with interchangeable blades, and guillotine on the other). It was too good of a deal to pass up, so I grabbed it without even researching it, and have been very happy with it for the last 3 years!

I think Joan B is right though... there are so many options, and it really comes down to personal preference.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecraftysisterView Post
I came across a great deal on a Purple Cow 2-in-1 12 inch cutter (it is rotary on one side with interchangeable blades, and guillotine on the other). It was too good of a deal to pass up, so I grabbed it without even researching it, and have been very happy with it for the last 3 years!

I think Joan B is right though... there are so many options, and it really comes down to personal preference.

Good luck!
Laura, I bought this very same one at Costco about 3-4 years ago and just love it. I mainly use the guillotine side of it and have never had a problem with it.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy LittlerView Post
Laura, I bought this very same one at Costco about 3-4 years ago and just love it. I mainly use the guillotine side of it and have never had a problem with it.

Cindy
LOL! Yes, I got mine at Costco, too!! They have such a great return policy, I figured if I hated the cutter, I could always take it back... but there was no need! I also also use mainly the guillotine side, but the rotary side does work better than any rotary trimmer I had before it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Still loving my Tonic. It's 10 years old now and has withstood much abuse.

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Dahle based on recommendations from SCS and LOVE it!

ETA: I paid less than $100 including shipping for it and it's a 12" platform, so I think that's really reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I bought a Dahle based on recommendations from SCS and LOVE it!

ETA: I paid less than $100 including shipping for it and it's a 12" platform, so I think that's really reasonable.
I recently bought a Dahle also (scored it at an estate sale for $10!) and it's great. I was tired of buying "crafting" cutters that could not be sharpened. I can take this unit in to a hardware store someday and have it sharpened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Question

What about the newest Stampin Up! cutter? I have their old one and all of the most used markings are worn off (yes, I do cut some of my cardstock and paper wrong--arrgghh!) Theirs and the new, expensive Fiskars (I think they make the SU cutters, too) both have some kind of coating/surface to keep the markings on forever (yeah!) Anybody have an experience to share? I need a cutter that is marked, preferably, starting at 1/16, or if not, for sure 1/8. Thx for letting me know, gals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I also had the Purple Cow that was a rotary on one side and the Guillotine on the other. I don't think I ever used the rotary side. I love it and have had it for probably 5 years. It is getting dull so doesn't cut as many pieces as before. I have tried using the foil to sharpen it but guess it doesn't work for that. I just love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stampin' Up! trimmer

I also love my Stampin' Up! trimmer. I have never been able to make such straight cuts. I have not tried the new rotary add on yet, but I plan to. For a trimmer it might be a bit pricey (because there are no coupons) but so far it has been worth EVERY penny. I like that it is portable (basically), the storage compartment underneath keeps track of my extra blades and a few other tools. I still haven't quite figured out the extension arm - meaning it's a little "sticky" trying to pull it out.

I have toyed with the idea of a guillotine cutter but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it. Even though I have a dedicated crafting area, my trimmer is moved all over the house. I even take it to work with me sometimes. This trimmer is a little heavier than the other trimmers I have around the house (I have three very crafty daughters).

My vote is to give the SU! trimmer a go unless you're VERY set on having the rotary/guillotine type paper cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have not tried the new SU! one but I LOVE my fiskars with the wire right on the cutting line. It really helps when you need to cut in a particular place not just a measurement. They have three sizes and I have the card maker size. It has a 5 1/2 x 9 base so you don't have to always pull out the arm for that cut. I also have the middle size for cutting 8 1/2 or 12 inch paper. They are great and have titanium blades, which seem to last longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I use a guillotine cutter that I bought from an office supply store. Think I may have to buy my second one as some of the cuts aren't as clean as they should be. Don't think that is bad though, as I have given it some heavy use for over 5 years. Think my purchase price was about 32 dollars. Love that it's plastic (light weight) and that it cuts 12 inch paper easily. I like the accurate cutting and can cut kits fast and straight! Love the measuring guide also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I was wanting the Genesis one for years and could not justify the price and the decided to try the Fiskars Procision rotary bypass trimmer. It has very Similar features to the Genesis. It was about $120. but used a 50% coupon and then had another discount on top of it. I have been EXTREMELY happy with it. It fold in half . I only have to open if I need to cut larger than 5.5 inches. It cuts tiny slivers that curly. I just LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I LOVE my new Stampin' Up! paper trimmer/scorer! I have a box full of cutters I've tried over the years. The Stampin' Up! trimmer wins hands down. I like the storage tray underneath for extra blades and scorers. I like that the bar can be locked down when I am transporting it to a crop. The base is wider so I can make all my common card cuts without swinging out the arm (which does extend to 15" if I need it). The markings are down to at least 1/8" and maybe 1/16" (can't check as I am at work). And...the blades last a long time before they need to be replaced. And I use mine daily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the Tonic Guillotine!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I have a Dahle 533 and have been very happy with it. It's a 12" guillotine style cutter which says it will cut up to 15 sheets of copy paper at once so it's more than capable of cutting cardstock. It's a self-sharpening blade and has a good sturdy metal base. You probably wouldn't want to tote the thing around with you but it's great for a cutter you have on your work table.

I shopped around and got a decent price on eBay, there are a couple on US eBay at the moment at around a hundred bucks which probably gives you a ballpark price if you're comparing stuff.

There's a little YouTube demo here.

HTH!
I, too, have the 12" Dahle. The grid has almost totally worn off the center, so I looked into replacing it with the 15", but it is just a bit too big for my area. However, I really love the cutter and use it for all my cards. Have had it for at least 13 years, so it really lasts. The price isn't too bad, in my opinion for how long it lasts without having to replace parts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnvalView Post
I was wanting the Genesis one for years and could not justify the price and the decided to try the Fiskars Procision rotary bypass trimmer. It has very Similar features to the Genesis. It was about $120. but used a 50% coupon and then had another discount on top of it. I have been EXTREMELY happy with it. It fold in half . I only have to open if I need to cut larger than 5.5 inches. It cuts tiny slivers that curly. I just LOVE it!
I was on a quest to get a paper trimmer that cut straight. I think I have about6-7 trimmers, then I got the Friskars Procision trimmer and I love love it. It is a rotary cutter but I can see exactly where the blade is cutting so I can stop whenever I want. It is very accurate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm in the market for a cutterpillar. I hadn't heard of the genesis and I gasped at the cost. Then again, I just bought an air compressor for over $200! And that was on sale. Regular price with tax it's with closer to $400! Next time someone asks if I save money on cards I am going to pee my pants laughing so hard!!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Default Purple Cows!

I got my first Purple Cows dual cutter @ Costco about six years ago. I absolutely LOVE it! Especially the fact that the guillotine blade won't cut fingers, which is necessary since my grandkids spend so much time at my home. I used to constantly worry about my cutter handle! This original is still working great, even after heavy use, but I asked my husband for another one for Christmas so I'd have a spare. I get goosebumps thinking about what I'd do if my original wore out!

The new one is now in my craft studio, and I keep the original one with my crop supplies.

You won't be sorry if you purchase a Purple Cows!!
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have the genesis- hands down, great trimmer!

I also have the cutterpillar trimmer. For the money, it is very similar to the genesis- it isn't as well made as the genesis and that's why there is a price difference but it is comparable. (the cutterpillar is more plastic). But the cutterpillar is a GREAT option! I love mine!

I have the Stampin' Up trimmer and take that with me when I go to crops because it is more light weight and portable. I have taken my cutterpillar as well.
Reply With Quote Likes