Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you organize your die cuts? (slightly different question)

Someone else posted a similar question, but they want to know how you organize extras to then be able to use on projects. My question is slightly different, but, I don't know, maybe could result in the same type of storage options?????
I make one of every die cut that I have (sizzix dies, QK dies, memory box, etc). I have a lot of 3D dies in that mix. I like to have one of everything made as a sample so I can see how big things really are. Right now I have all of the boxes thrown into a big box, but they are getting squished. I have so many other die cuts (flat ones), that it has become a nightmare to find the ones for which I am looking. I have been racking my brain for ways to make these user-friendly but I haven't hit on anything that's been just right. I tried to group them into categories and put them in file envelopes, but some of the dies have multiple little pieces, so I have to put all of the pieces into a plain envelope first and it's all just a giant pain. I have, probably, 150 Spellbinders sets, and those I managed to organize just to my liking. I'm looking for something out there that will work just as well for all of my samples.

Thanks so much if you've managed to read this far. I'm extra wordy today, lol!
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about how to do the 3D dies but how about laminating the flats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

you need a scraprack and store the diecuts in page protectors 81/2 x 11 this is exactly what I am going to do, only I found a scraprack aka catalog rack on craigslist for $25 and between my Accucut Grande Mark, Sizzix, cricut ,etc I will be able to hold a sample of each in my scraprack. the page protectors will actually hold more than one diecut per sleeve..................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
I have, probably, 150 Spellbinders sets, and those I managed to organize just to my liking. I'm looking for something out there that will work just as well for all of my samples.
Just curious - how did you organize your Spellbinder die cuts? I have often thought I'd like sample of every size of every set, but can't think of how I'd organize them so it wouldn't be more work than just taking out the dies themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I cut and put together one of each of my die cuts and then glue them onto an index card. The index cards are all held together in a "book" that has split rings as the binding so I can add pages when I need them. The samples are not in any sort of order except to have page dividers for different companies. Sometimes I think it would have been better to sort a little more having the samples all jumbled within a company helps me remember what I have because I see things I wasn't looking for (i.e. looking for flowers but I see veggies)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Martha Stewart has some great new page protectors that have a flap on the top. (I found them in the store at Staples- see Sheet Protectors | Staples�.) I store most of my dies in these since they won't fall out like with the baseball card or photo page protectors, and you could do the same with your diecuts. You can get 1,2, or 4 pocket pages in 2 sizes. I cut a piece of card stock to fit the pocket and label with name of the die and company; I also note any coordinating stamp sets if the name is not the same, which some companies do to make me crazy. I use double sided tape on the cardstock so dies do not bunch up at the bottom, and keep these various pages in notebooks by company. I can move around dies to revise groups since the cards are removable. Any extra die cuts go in the same pocket- just make sure you are using a minimal amount of tape so they don't stick too. (They could go on the back side of the card stock if you don't use both sides of the pocket for dies/diecuts.) Long and A2-sized dies won't fit, or might fit in the full-page pocket, but I keep those in a drawer because I like to pull out the handful of border dies to consider. I am a visual person so seeing my dies is really helpful, and this method is lighter in weight (and expense) than using magnetic sheets. It may work for your die cuts too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like using those Pioneer flexible cover mini photo albums to catalog my stamps & stamping supplies. It's easy to flip through them to see what you have. Would be great for storing die cut samples.

I buy the 4x6 size at JoAnn's. They are 99�.
If you live in WI they are sold at Woodman's in 4x6 & 5x7 sizes.

Have found them online at StorePhotos in the 4x4 & 5x7 size.
Search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I use a small photo album to store all my craft bits and pieces. It keeps them from getting shop worn and is easy to browse through:

Paper Arts Storage Album
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you everyone, for all of the ideas and links. I think the paper protector idea might suit my storage style best, only because I can add to it. So, if I buy a new die that is a label, I can just add that page behind all of the other labels I have. But, the little photo albums are so cheap, it could work for me just to buy an album for each type of die cut. Hmmm...... I have to think some more. I love the MS protectors with the flaps, but that could get pricey as I would have to buy a lot of them. I'm so glad I posted. I really am appreciative of the ideas!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

For my spellbinders, I put all of the non basic shapes dies in cd pouches. They are fairly inexpensive - 50 double sided pouches for maybe 12.00. I don't bother with magnets in the pouches because that would get to be too expensive for me. They store neatly in the 4 drawer jetmax. I keep my basic shape dies on a cork board with magnetic strips. In terms of the die cuts, I make one set of each set and keep them in the paper portion folder in which the dies come. I line these all up in dishwashing tubs according to type.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I was given some new sandwich containers (6 1/2 x7 1/2"x 2" deep), clear with clear lids; they stack nicely on the shelf and are labeled by content for example circles, frames, hearts, flowers etc. I than put the size cut in pencil on the die cut and throw in the container for use later. I also use these for ribbon, keeps them clean and easy to access.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm not sure my answer is what you want as I don't make samples of my die cuts. I keep all my dies in clear photo pages in a binder, so it is quite easy for me to see sizes and shapes. I also started to make a plastic outline of each (using the heavy plastic they come in and a fine-tipped Sharpie) with one sheet of plastic for each shape so that I can pull out the plastic sheet and hold it over the area or image I want to use it with and then go to L-3 Scalloped Ovals, for example, and get the exact die I want. I keep these all together in a clear plastic container. Now for your 3-D ones, if you have enough room on a wall or back of a door, why not make a "picture" or wall hanging with all of them (use solid paper for the die cuts and put them on a decorative or burlap background) by pinning or hanging them. A small label next to each or on the sample itself would help with identification. It would look pretty and be functional as well. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use one of these PSB Binder - Black/Navy to store all of my die cuts, stickers, and flatter embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I store my spellbinders in CD cases I add magnetic tape strip to hold them in place. I cut out the picture from spellbinder package and paste in inside front. they stack easily in a drawer. I think I am going to buy some smaller scrapbooks and store my flat dies in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I would photograph each of the 3D items, print it out and put them in the binder with the flat samples. You could write the dimensions on the page and not have to store the item itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Just sharing some ideas. Since you have them sorted by themes, you could do a dimensional wall piece like a collage of flowers and leaves, or nature inspired artwork. I might even colour code the flowers depending on which company's dies they are, e.g. red for sizzix, purple for spellbinders.
If they are boxes, I would only file them flat and note the base area and height, since you are probably only concerned with the "footprint" and whether items could fit in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I store my Spellbinder die cuts in CD or DVD cases depending the size and place them in long storage boxes bought at Michael's.

Then I use my Excel program in my computer to create an inventory.
1. Size the boxes the size would be good for me.
2. From the Net, I find pictures of my dies, copy and paste inside the Excel box then I write the name #number and price for each one.
3. I print the pages and post them inside the closet door of my craft room.

All die cuts are separated by manufacturer, but all the prints are posted at the door.

Can't send a sample. Have a new computer with Windows 8 and I'm struggling with it. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I so appreciate everyone's input into my question. You've given me options I never would have thought of. At this point, I'm still leaning toward the MS binder pages. I really tossed around the album idea but as I add more samples, I need to be able to insert pages or my categories won't work. Or, I'd have to reshuffle everything which would be a pain. I have looked for the 5x7 size in discount stores but haven't found any in my area. I don't really want to buy them online. I DO wish MS would have a baseball card insert size, as I love the flaps at the top to keep everything in the pocket. Has anyone seen this type of option in page protectors??

Thank you again.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I use chaep Sheet Protectors with different sizes and close those, where the diecut could fall out with a bit of washi Tape.
I use my Silhouette for cutting and whenever I cut something I cut a whole sheet full, so that I don't waste anything. Whatever I don't use immediatly I put either into the sheet protectors, or an old photoalbum.
One with those vellum sheets between each two pages. This I use for delicate, or multipart cutouts.
I spray repositionable spray glue on one page, lay my diecuts on it and carefully cover it with the vellum sheet. The glue is strong eneough to hold the diecuts and vellum in place, but easily removeable. The vellum is very transparent and I can see at a glance what I have.
Perhaps you could do that with cardstock in a binder? Perhaps even use acetate to cover the sheets?

Camilla

my blog: Kartenreich
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I have just started using some paper cd holders. They have a big clear window and a flap for them to close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

It seems like there are two different storage issues being talked about here, unless I am reading it wrong - storage of dies and storage of die cut pieces. I have a die storage system that is working fine for me, but I have often thought it would be convenient to have a card stock sample of every die I own so I could use them for planning projects. I thought that was what the OP was posting about.

If so, I guess my question now is: is it worth it? Cutting out one of every one of my dies will take time, and I am wondering if people who have done it have found it really useful.

It seems like it would be, especially when you are trying to layer different Spellbinder shapes. Maybe the OP (or anyone else) can speak to that. How much has doing this aided in your creative process?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

What I do for a sample of my die cuts---especially Nestibilities and those that are concentric sizes---is draw around the shape the first time I use it (so I don't have to make a special job of it) on a piece of acetate. I have one for each set and use a Sharpie. Now that I have many of them done and some completed as you can see from a few I attached, I thought that it would have been better if I had use different colored pens, or at least alternated the colors next to one another on the acetate to make it easier to follow when laying them on my card to determine which one to use. I keep these in a SU plastic clear-mount box as I don't store my stamps that way, but I used to keep them in a plastic bag which worked just as well.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you organize your die cuts? (slightly different question)-die-patterns.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I am the op and I was referring to the sample cut outs of the dies, not storage of the dies themselves. I have samples of most of my dies - all of my spellbinders and Sizzix dies. I"m working on my sizzlits at this point. I ended up going with binders and pocket pages. I use baseball sized for small die cuts, and then 4 pockets to a page, two pockets to a page, and single pockets, depending on the size of the diecuts. For example, all of my borders go into the single page pocket. I have them divided into categories, such as tags, holiday, words/alphabets, card bases, baby, etc. Then, I have all of my 3D stuff made into models, and grouped into larger sized boxes. I am finding it very helpful. I can tell what goes into what bag or box, and I can layer any tag or label or spellbinder to see what it would look like, or if a sentiment or die cut would fit on it. So far it has been very successful and worth the effort. I just threw the die cuts into the pockets, and didn't put backer sheets or anything like that. I wanted it to be as simple as possible, because I have a lot of stuff. I like what Jeanne did with outlining her dies. I think that would be a great way to see if the idea would be helpful, and it would be fairly quick and easy to do. I have used up many, many packs of white cardstock doing it my way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I think the acetate is a neat idea also, but I think it would be more helpful to me personally to be able to take an actual shape and hold it in front of another shape or against a card BG, if you know what I mean. I am assuming Jeanne has all her outlines for any set on one acetate, right? So it would be harder to play around with layering, which I do a lot of.

I have plenty of cheap white cardstock that I buy by the ream and use just for this kind of thing. I think I am going to start doing it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhaunView Post
I store my spellbinders in CD cases I add magnetic tape strip to hold them in place. I cut out the picture from spellbinder package and paste in inside front. they stack easily in a drawer. I think I am going to buy some smaller scrapbooks and store my flat dies in them.
This is what I use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I have samples of all of my embossing folders too. :0)
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have samples of all my dies. I store them in 4 x 6 Iris clear photo boxes by categories: Borders, Halloween, Christmas, butterflies, tags, etc. I don't have samples of my Spellbinders, I usually just hold one up to what I'm stamping and decide on what to use that way. But I love having samples of all the others.Amazon.com: IRIS USA 6-case Photo and Craft Keeper Set of 2, Clear: Everything Else
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I just finished doing all samples of my EF's, Karen. I'm glad I finally did it. Much easier to figure out what to use looking at samples instead of the folder or the picture on the front of the packaging.

I have a storage system that's based on panels and bins, for both stamps and dies. I know lots of people love binders, but they don't work for me.

I just ordered some 5.5 x 8.5 heavyweight top-loading page protectors. They will stand up in one of my bins (it's a shoebox size) and I can cut them down to make then less deep if I need to.

I'll start with this, because it was an inexpensive solution. Hoping it will work. I'll start with my Nesties, and put one set per PP. Then see how it goes.

Now to get busy working my Big Shot and cutting out die cuts.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-26-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Just make sure you label each of the die cuts. You'd think you'd never forget... but you do!! :0)
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Ha! Excellent advice! :-)!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

I dont make samples as "samples" but, I do go through my scraps sometimes and just cut them up and then I put them into clear bags similar to what people use for their cards but smaller ones and these are in wooden divided tray type things inside the top drawer of a baby room sized dresser. ( all the drawers under that are larger and holding dvd cases of unmounted stamps) so the top drawer is previously stamped sentiments that were die cut and "ready to use" with some die cut shapes. ( sorted by color ) and this is something I go to when I want to just create things quickly. I write on the bags with a pen for plastic what brand of a diecut it is or the mfg of the stamp set name if its a lot of things from a big set.

I had a scrap rack once up on a time with two bases on it... it needed a 6' table just for it, and everything in it needed dusted all the time. so, this is also a cleaner system for me.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
It seems like there are two different storage issues being talked about here, unless I am reading it wrong - storage of dies and storage of die cut pieces. I have a die storage system that is working fine for me, but I have often thought it would be convenient to have a card stock sample of every die I own so I could use them for planning projects. I thought that was what the OP was posting about.

If so, I guess my question now is: is it worth it? Cutting out one of every one of my dies will take time, and I am wondering if people who have done it have found it really useful.

It seems like it would be, especially when you are trying to layer different Spellbinder shapes. Maybe the OP (or anyone else) can speak to that. How much has doing this aided in your creative process?
As I was reading this thread I kept wondering the same, is it worth it or an aid in the design process? I just lay the die on the project to determine if it's what I want.

I used to save left over die cuts and I found I never used them. They were never the color/size I needed so I no longer save them. To me the time and space it took to store them was not worth the cost of the little piece of paper. As for samples of 3-D items, that would take up too much space.

I'm interested in knowing what I'm missing in my perspective as I'm always open to new ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Update - Got my page protectors yesterday and started. I decided to cut them down from 5.5 x 8 to 5.5 x 6 because I don't need them so deep, they will just be more floppy. I have half a dozen Nestie sets done - I have LABELED THEM (yes, that was good advice, Karen) - on the back of each die cut I put the name of the set, and then I numbered them. When I made the label for the page protector pocket I put the number of dies for each set. Thinking this will help with losing them on my desk, which is always a colorful mess.

It isn't taking too much time. I should be done in a few days and then I'll post a picture of my system.

At this point, I am not putting a piece of CS in the pockets to make them stiffer. I don't know if I will. If I do, can do it last. I want to see how well they stand up on their own. The CS would make it a bit tighter getting the pieces in and out. Right now they slide in and out easily.

As to whether they will turn out to be useful - we shall see.
Reply With Quote Likes