Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #1  
ck1
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major downsizing help needed

Hi all,
Hoping you all can help me. I am going from a 13 x 10 craft room to 3 "Billy" bookcases from Ikea. They are the ones with doors and are 31 x 79 x 11. In my craft room I have a table which I can fold, a desk that I will be taking. I have 4-5 bins of stuff in the closet, and I have 9 jetmax cubes that I will not be taking I am very excited about the move, I will be sharing a room that will also be used as hubby's office and spare room for visiting family, but I am panicked about how to organize things. Any ideas. I also want things to be pretty and neat.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

There are several threads about this (I'll track them down and post the links after I finish typing this) that could give you some great ideas, but here are a few thoughts off the top of my head:
  • Purge as much as possible. Be ruthless. I am moving across the continent in the fall of 2014, so I ask myself "are you willing to move this across the country?". If the answer is no, then there's no reason for it to be taking up valuable real estate right now, either.
  • Consolidate as much as possible. Get rid of packaging, for sure! If you need something from the packaging (instructions, collection name, whatever) keep only that portion or label the item or whatever you need to do to eliminate as much "extra stuff" as you can.
  • Consider storing multiple stamp sets together, going unmounted, etc. It's truly amazing how much space you can save doing this!
  • Consolidate your embellishments, as well. Again - lose the packaging. I even re-roll all of my ribbon without anything in the center so I can put the little resulting "spools" all together in small drawers (pic attached) Brainstorm other ways to accomplish this with other embellishments (another pic attached).

The drawers I'm referring to above are THESE , and they should fit on your shelves just fine. The small containers in the embellishment drawer came inside of THIS CASE - LOVE 'em! (Plus, I have put other things in the case itself - markers, stickers, Stickles, glitter, etc.) You could leave the smaller containers in the case and put the whole thing on the shelf with the handle facing out if you wanted t do that instead of the drawers, too.

I am sure there are other thoughts that will occur to me, and I'm sure that others will chime in with excellent suggestions, but I'll go track down a couple of links for you now
Attached Thumbnails
Major downsizing help needed-ribbon-drawer.jpg   Major downsizing help needed-embellishment-drawer.jpg  

Last edited by gregzgurl; 06-01-2013 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #4  
ck1
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue,
I just want to thank you sooooo much for taking the time to find all these threads for me. I am going to sit and go thru everyone of them. I guess I really have to purge a few things, and reorganize the rest. As soon as I am done I will try to post a pix (not really sure how to do that, but I will figure it out when I am ready). Again Sue, Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

No worries - SCS is full of helpful folk, so I'm just passin' on the love! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow Sue! thanks for the tips and I also perused your blog...some great ideas on there too! I need to organize my craft room...right now, it does not give me joy to go in there! that will be my summer project since I am on summer break in one more week. Off to Target to look for the paper bins you used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pammersView Post
Wow Sue! thanks for the tips and I also perused your blog...some great ideas on there too! I need to organize my craft room...right now, it does not give me joy to go in there! that will be my summer project since I am on summer break in one more week. Off to Target to look for the paper bins you used!
Thanks for stopping by the ol' blog, Pammers! I haven't been there to post for quite a while, unfortunately. I'm gearing up for a fresh start in the not-too-distant future, though! And I promise my most excellent promise NOT to start the next post with "wow - I can't believe how long it's been - so sorry!" (refer to the Pet Peeves thread in the general stamping talk forum) I got the bins at Target a few months ago, so I'm not sure if they still have them or not, but anything similar-sized would work...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I've got some craft room ideas on my pinterest board here:

Craft Room Envy

How you choose to store your supplies depends a bit on the way you like to craft. Do you want everything right in front of you, in the open, so you can just grab it? Or do you prefer an uncluttered look? If you are in a small space, like I am, just a little clutter looks much worse. So, choose your storage wisely.

Sue's storage drawers are great. Put as much as you can in matching drawers on your shelves. Same with matching baskets on your shelves.

Have fun!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to downsize. I went overboard. I went from a full room PACKED with supplies, including a walk in closet and a scrapbox to two boxes of supplies.

almost a year later, my supplies remain much much smaller and I've learned how to store without taking up as much space. But really the key is getting rid of a lot of stuff and not buying a whole lot more...

I echo the get rid of packaging advice. I just don't care where my rhinestones came from so all my bling is in one small clear holder. Ditto ribbon. I like to have my tools, blocks and adhesive on my table. And they are, along with my paper trimmer and markers and big shot.

Stamps and inks are on a DVD shelf. I only buy cubes or dew drop size inks and I have less than 20 stamp sets.

Cardstock on a book case shelf. I have white and then a relatively small assortment of other colors. I just stopped using a lot of colored cardstock because of space constraints. Ditto patterned paper.

Good luck. you can do it!
Reply With Quote Likes