Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use Staz-on with Polymar stamps?

I want to make monogram candles, but the stamps I like are clear Polymar. Will Staz-on ruin clear stamps?
Thanks
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Barbara, the Stazon won't "ruin" your clear stamps, or actually hurt them. However, it will stain them. I don't mind if my clear stamps are stained, and in fact, I think it makes it a little easier to see the stamps when I'm looking for a certain stamp. But staining seems to bother some folks.

I'm more about how something works, rather than how it looks. And stained stamps work just fine.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks! I don't care if my stamps are stained. I buy them to use them not display them LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I read recently on a polymer stamp manufacturer's site: clearstampsandinkcompatability
that Stazon will react with the surface of the stamp, but that the reaction really only happens while the ink is wet. Also, the Stazon stamp cleaner causes the same or stronger reaction with the stamp since it is also solvent-based and is typically used in larger amounts on the stamp than ink. HOWEVER, it doesn't sound like it's a huge deal, especially since the length of time the ink/cleaner is wet on the stamp isn't usually very long, and in fact, they said it might be better to NOT clean the Stazon off the stamp since when it's dry, it will form a thin but protective layer of dried ink that will prevent further reaction the next time you apply Stazon to it! They also suggest using a pale or clear ink (like Versamark) to the stamp before applying Stazon to it. And it's reassuring to note that they sometimes use Stazon themselves on their own stamps, and find that the stamps last a long time before any noticable damage happens.

Last edited by Hallupino; 05-30-2013 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: DS's flying stuffed cat hit the send button before I was ready! :}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks this is great info!
I plan to use Staz-on Timber Brown. I wonder when the ink dries on the stamp if it will come off the next time I use a different color? I only use black & brown in Staz-on so it may not make a difference. I think the Versa mark idea may be my best bet. The clear stamps I plan to use are from an alphabet set so they will be used quite often. I want to make monogram candles for stocking stuffers for Christmas. I know I am starting early, but I like to leave plenty of time in case I mess up .LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I recently watched a youtube video from Dawn Bibby (can't remember which one) where she addressed this. She said that if you use Stazon on your clear stamps a lot, the Stazon will start to melt your stamps. She recommended using it sparingly on them and immediately cleaning them. She said Stazon is better used on rubber stamps since it won't melt the rubber. I'll try to find the video and post the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Found the Dawn Bibby video. It's embossing on metal (so pretty), but she explains why Stazon is not good for acrylic stamps. Here's the link -
Dawn Bibby Design Studio - Embossing On Metal - YouTube

HTH!

Christi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #8  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Never mind LOL..........I was going to post the site with technical info but the link to it is already in Hallupino's post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also in the event no one mentioned it, do not use staz on cleaner on clear stamps. It breaks them down.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes