Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffydonnaView Post
I have looked in quite a few places-the latest being True Value-from a tip I received. I can't find the Do It Yourself Kit for use with the templates. I found a nice sized piece of red rubber. The only cork I found was a roll-way too much. Any ideas for using something other than cork? Thanks! Donna

What about a cardstock shim? I would think that cork is there just for thickness, not embossing (that would be the rubber). The one I use is 3 pieces of SU cardstock that I cut down to card front size, and then taped them together. Works for embossing with nesties...

HTH

Diane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Smile

Thanks so very much for your tutorial. Will have to make at stop at Home Depot or Lowes soon.

By chance, have you a recipe for the thin plastic stencils that works well?

Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cuttlebug Sandwich Stack Rules

There was a download of stack rules using other dies, templates, etc with your cuttlebug machine - I have an older print out and am hoping C. Lail has updated with newer nestabilities etc. but cannot locate where it is on this site?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

There are great directions on the Spellbinders website. I just visited the GASConvention where Stacey demonstrated these sandwich techniques and they worked BEAUTIFULLY! Visit this link and at the very bottom there is a PDF with more sandwich ideas...enjoy!! http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/...wich%20Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Cardstock shims do the trick!

I was delighted to find this tutorial! I had the rubber, but didn't have the cork, so I experimented using pieces of card stock in place of the cork, and it worked great. It does curve the brass templates, but I flipped them and sent them back through. I also experimented with a vinyl stencil from PLAID Simply Stencils. I added one more piece of cardstock and got a beautifully embossed design. Give it a try..

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Default cuttlebug stencils and fiskars embossing plates

OK I went and bought the gasket kit to give it a try. It didn't quite work as well for me. I couldn't get the rubber mat and the cork to go through my cuttlebug. I tried switching the B and C plates, removing the cork and whatever other combination I could come up with but nothing was working that well. I also have the wizard tan mat and it is about half the thickness of the red rubber and so I gave that a try in place of the red rubber. I kept everything else the same as your sandwich recipe and that combination worked well for me when using brass stencils. The sandwich was so tight to get through the cuttlebug that the cork spread out each time I put it through and I ended up having to trim it so it would fit without the sides sticking out of the plates. I like how the red rubber is a nice large sheet that covers the entire surface of the A and B plates. I wish it would have worked for me. For the fiskars I just replaced the red rubber with the tan rubber and it worked. Your instructions were very nice and thorough. I've tried many other sandwich recipes and this did seem to give the best impression. So if you can't get the red rubber mat to fit through your cuttlebug try using the tan mat with the cork instead.

thanks,
Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb_tView Post
OK I went and bought the gasket kit to give it a try. It didn't quite work as well for me. I couldn't get the rubber mat and the cork to go through my cuttlebug. I tried switching the B and C plates, removing the cork and whatever other combination I could come up with but nothing was working that well. I also have the wizard tan mat and it is about half the thickness of the red rubber and so I gave that a try in place of the red rubber. I kept everything else the same as your sandwich recipe and that combination worked well for me when using brass stencils. The sandwich was so tight to get through the cuttlebug that the cork spread out each time I put it through and I ended up having to trim it so it would fit without the sides sticking out of the plates. I like how the red rubber is a nice large sheet that covers the entire surface of the A and B plates. I wish it would have worked for me. For the fiskars I just replaced the red rubber with the tan rubber and it worked. Your instructions were very nice and thorough. I've tried many other sandwich recipes and this did seem to give the best impression. So if you can't get the red rubber mat to fit through your cuttlebug try using the tan mat with the cork instead.

thanks,
Deb
Yup, just as I said above the tan mat worked well for me too... And if you don't have cork, try cardstock shims (my machine likes 3 layers of SU coloured CS- others might be a bit different...)

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Diane,

I Forgot to mention I had the same problem with my stencils really getting a severe curve in them. I turned them over and ran them back through which helped straighten them some. Since the sandwich is so tight (which give the good impression) it bends the stencil. I'm not sure it's good for the stencils to apply that much pressure. No problem with the fiskar plates though.

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb_tView Post
Diane,

I Forgot to mention I had the same problem with my stencils really getting a severe curve in them. I turned them over and ran them back through which helped straighten them some. Since the sandwich is so tight (which give the good impression) it bends the stencil. I'm not sure it's good for the stencils to apply that much pressure. No problem with the fiskar plates though.

Deb
Thanks so much! I actually can't find the stencil that is bent! I know I put it under somthing heavy to try and flatten it! Now I am not sure where! oops!:rolleyes:
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #50  
Glitter Queen

Default question

can you tell me how you got the colored chalk on the pattern, i do not quite understand how to do that, donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Missy, I think you have the wrong Donna. I am new at using stencils and have never used chalk. I'll watch for the answer from whomever did talk about it. I'd like to learn about this too. Donna (aka: Daffydonna)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy--mouseView Post
can you tell me how you got the colored chalk on the pattern, i do not quite understand how to do that, donna
I just kept the stencil on and chalked the parts of the card that showed through. If you are carful you can do that without having the stencil on, you just can't press hard.

Or you can just chalk all over and let the chalk sort of go everywhere.

Play with the different techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the tutorial. Unfortunately we can't get a hold of the gasket rubber here. I have heard of someone here using a silicone baking mat though, so will try that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #54  
Embossing Fanatic

I bought a lightbox at Michael's for $8.00 with my 50% off coupon. I have just been using it with a stylus to do my stencils. I couldn't seem to get the correct fit with my Cuttlebug. I don't want to break it......Another question...do you always color the finihed product or do you sometimes leave it as is? Also, have you used stencils on scrapbook pages? Can you tell I'm very new at this technique?! Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #55  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I bought a lightbox at Michael's for $8.00 with my 50% off coupon. I have just been using it with a stylus to do my stencils. I couldn't seem to get the correct fit with my Cuttlebug. I don't want to break it......Another question...do you always color the finihed product or do you sometimes leave it as is? Also, have you used stencils on scrapbook pages? Can you tell I'm very new at this technique?! Donna

You don't have to colour it at all. It depends on the look you are going for, the colour paper you are using, and the stencil you are using. Some images standout better than others when left plain, so that is sometimes what I decide on...
Have fun! There are so many ways to use your brass stencils than with your bug!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

I wanted to add to my earlier thread concerning the light box. For those who have a Stampin Up consultant nearby, they have a light box also. I expect it's much nicer but I had go for the less expensive. Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #57  
Cardstock Collector

It works great on std paper, but I have found that card stock does not do so well. If you use you stencles for paste embossing don't run them using this way. I have tried to bend them back and they just dont make it back to be flat enough for paste embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Not all cuttlebugs are the same, some are "tighter" then others, so it is always a good idea to STOP if you think your machine might not take this method.

I have had great results, and have even been able to get my brass stencils to be nice and flat after a few passes : )

It is just so much easier then hand embossing (my brass stencils have sat in the box for years because they took too long to do).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
Not all cuttlebugs are the same, some are "tighter" then others, so it is always a good idea to STOP if you think your machine might not take this method.
I've heard this before, and I think mine must one of the tighter ones. I cannot use the cork with the red rubber gasket; the sandwich won't through my 'bug.

The embossing isn't as deep as I'd like on SU! CS, but I'm thinking it will be fine if I color the image. I haven't done that yet. But, the embossing is plenty deep on thinner CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #60  
Cardstock Collector

Red face Light Box Alternatives for Brass Stencils

One of the first techniques for dry embossing that I was taught-actually, it was at a Stampin' Up party, was to put the paper and stencil up to a window (You might have to tape it up) or any window in your home that has a light source behind it (sunroom doors) and actually do your embossing in that way. Although, the demonstrator gave us the option of purchasing a light box, she taught us the project with a "free" light source option!!!
It sold me on purchasing the brass stencils.
Laura in Arkansas

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 AM   #62  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OM thank you so much! I was just about to throw them out b/c I couldn't get them to work in the CB. ThankyouThankyouThannkyou!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #63  
Glitter Queen

well, i see that cuttlebug makes a rubber cuttlebug spacer now, two to a package, you can get it at happy scrappin' scrapbook, i bought a small sheet of polymer clay to use along with 2-3 sheets of typing paper and it works, so it looks like they may have responded to the problem, i do not have them, but this must be what they are for, LOL, hope this helps, donna k
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #64  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Plumbers gasket kit

Thanks so much for this tutorial. Can't wait to get one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Has anyone tried cutting the cork and rubber slightly smaller than the brass stencil, and embossing directly onto the card? I've seen where this eliminates the line of the brass stencil around embossed the image. I haven't tried it yet, but wondered if anyone else has.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #66  
Gallery Gazer

I went all over trying to find the gasket kit to no avail! I have had these fiskar plates forever and can't use them because of my wrists. SOOOOO, after all this I came up with this solution:

CB plate A
Fiskars Plate
cardstock
cheap mouse pad
CB plate C

This worked great, realizing that the Fiskars don't have as deep grooves as embossing folders, but if you rub gently over the embossed area with ink, it really pops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #67  
Mad Swapper

I found the plumber's gasket at a Home Hardware store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

Now that's perfect, since I never can find a cuttlebug rubber matt. They are always out so I guess they are and I will buy this instead for pennies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Smile

Came across this once again and thought it worthwhile to refresh the thread for others.
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #70  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
Click here for the tutorial.
I found that using the red rubber and a cork pad that was in the kit actually worked the best, and I am amazed at how deep and clear the images are from this method.
Blessings on you for this tutorial, particularly because it is NOT a video.(My ISP is too slow for You Tube.) I have failed several times using my many brass stencils with the Cuttlebug. You're the first one to mention the cork, I believe, which is the ticket to success for me.

Thanks much,
Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #71  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I have been doing this for years - ever since I got my Big Kick back in 2004 or so. You should be able to find plumber's gasket at Home Depot. It's very inexpensive. I think I got 2 sheets for about $4.

ETA Wow - I didn't realize how old this thread was!
Reply With Quote Likes