Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best cutter for medium weight chipboard?

I posted this in General, but I guess it really belongs here, so if you see it twice, that's why. Just me, being persistent (impatient).

Our old Premier guillotine paper cutter is now shredding the edges of everything. I have a Tonic guillotine that I use for cardstock, but I really need something heavy duty that will slice through medium weight chipboard. Willing to spend reasonable money on it, because we have a lot of stuff we would use it for.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have an Xacto guillotine cutter that I love, but my personal experience is that I prefer a rotary cutter or just a straightedge(metal) and hand-held razor knife to cut through anything too thick. Maybe it's operator error but thick items have a tendency to shift, so I find it's more accurate (for me) to make several passes through the material, rather than trying to lop it off all in one pass...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Sue. The Xacto looks interesting. But you don't like it for something as thick as medium weight chipboard? There are times when using a razor knife and straight edge are not going to be the best way to do things, if it can be avoided. Is a rotary cutter better? I have zero experience with them.

For started, I have a number of chipboard panels that have magnetic sheets adhered to them that I want to cut in half. (The die storage revamp begins...) I have a fantasy of just being able to whack them in half with a cutter. (Or rather slice them easily and cleanly like I can with my Tonic and card stock.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I love my Fiskar's rotary cutter for cutting chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Which one do you have, cookie? Or is there only one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

The one I have is black/silver & handles 12x12 size. It also has storage for an extra blade. I bought it at Costco about 3 or 4 years ago & I think it was between $25 to $30.
It looks just like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-196800...y+paper+cutter

I love this cutter for everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used my tonic to cut mat board and a Fiskars to cut chip board (its one with the titanium blades) successfully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Thanks, Sue. The Xacto looks interesting. But you don't like it for something as thick as medium weight chipboard? There are times when using a razor knife and straight edge are not going to be the best way to do things, if it can be avoided. Is a rotary cutter better? I have zero experience with them.

For started, I have a number of chipboard panels that have magnetic sheets adhered to them that I want to cut in half. (The die storage revamp begins...) I have a fantasy of just being able to whack them in half with a cutter. (Or rather slice them easily and cleanly like I can with my Tonic and card stock.)
I've cut coasters, etc., with my Xacto with no problem, and it goes through the magnetic vent covers like butter, so you'd probably be fine. I just forget (sometimes) that I need to keep pressure on the guard to hold everything in place and if/when I do that, it skews to the side a bit as it cuts (only on thick things, though). Operator error, don'tcha know?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

If it's something you would use often, maybe you should consider a mat board. They are big and not cheap, but they cut like butter and make large jobs a breeze. There is a "compact" one at Dick Blick which is 32" long and $100.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/lo...ic-mat-cutter/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
If it's something you would use often, maybe you should consider a mat board. They are big and not cheap, but they cut like butter and make large jobs a breeze. There is a "compact" one at Dick Blick which is 32" long and $100.

Logan Compact Classic Mat Cutter - BLICK art materials
Have you tried cutting chipboard with this cutter?

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I watched the demo video you linked, Arizona (thanks!), and the cutter looks very interesting but I wondered the same thing as Lori. I don't know how mat board compares to chipboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't have the compact model. I have the Logan Professional Series Model 750. Same brand but much larger. Mat board is pretty thick, but I tested some chip board just to be sure. I use the backing board that comes with SU glimmer paper. It's very thick and I can't imagine anyone cutting anything thicker. It took a little more effort than with mat board, but was not difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I measured the chip board in case you need to know. It was hard to see on my ruler, but it was 2-3mm thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've used my Carl cutter to cut chip board with good results.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I use a Zutter Kutter for cutting my chipboard and the edges are always very smooth. Love my Zutter Kutter! Here's a link so you can check to see if this will work for you:

Zutter Kutter

ETA: I also have a Logan mat cutter and the Zutter Kutter is so much easier for cutting chipboard and gives much better results . The Zutter Kutter is a tool that is actually for cutting chipboard.

Last edited by thecountryrose; 05-07-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I watched the demo video you linked, Arizona (thanks!), and the cutter looks very interesting but I wondered the same thing as Lori. I don't know how mat board compares to chipboard.
I use both. Mat board is generally softer than chipboard, but it depends on the thickness of chipboard that you're using. Mat board layers can separate depending on use. Chipboard doesn't usually separate. You can purchase mat board that is acid and lignin free making it safe to use for books you make yourself. I make a lot of my own albums and books and I've been using Ultra-Black mounting and illustration board by Crescent. I get a three pack of 15x20 boards for $11.99. It's as hard as regular chipboard and makes excellent covers for books. Cuts like butter on the Zutter Kutter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I watched the video about the Zutter Cutter. Looks like a nice piece of equipment and a better choice for chip board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
I watched the video about the Zutter Cutter. Looks like a nice piece of equipment and a better choice for chip board.
It's very nice! And you get nice straight and clean cuts. I am very happy with my Zutter Kutter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

LOL because you thought you'd get more replies in General but this one is the busier thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Well, you just never know where the action is going to be! ;-)

The Zutter looks like a very viable option. I think it will do what I want.

Thanks, countryrose, for this link!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been toying with the idea of making my own notebooks. The more I think about it, the more the Zutter Cutter is starting to appeal to me. Just one more thing to add to my ever growing wish list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecountryroseView Post
I use a Zutter Kutter for cutting my chipboard and the edges are always very smooth. Love my Zutter Kutter! Here's a link so you can check to see if this will work for you:

Zutter Kutter

ETA: I also have a Logan mat cutter and the Zutter Kutter is so much easier for cutting chipboard and gives much better results . The Zutter Kutter is a tool that is actually for cutting chipboard.
The zutter cutter looks good and it is compact, where as my Carl cutter takes up 1/4 of my work area. Is there anyone that has a zutter and doesn't like it? I would like to get a lot of reviews before I shell out more money for another cutter!

Also, I just tried cutting 1/16" chipboard with my Fiskars Pro and it cut it very cleanly, but took effort to push the blade through. I think I got this chipboard from Marco's Paper, it is very good quality.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 05-09-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I have been researching the Zutter and have heard all kinds of mixed reviews. Some love it. Of the negatives I've read: the guide only goes to 7 inches and it is hard to trim small off amounts like 1/4 inch using it. Then there are those who complain it doesn't cut straight, or all the way through. But those could be just operator errors. One woman wrote about buying a used one and the seller said she had only used it once. When the buyer tried it herself, it did cut poorly, but then she saw that there was a notch in the blade and when she reversed it, the machine worked fine.

Don't know what to think at this point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I have been researching the Zutter and have heard all kinds of mixed reviews. Some love it. Of the negatives I've read: the guide only goes to 7 inches and it is hard to trim small off amounts like 1/4 inch using it. Then there are those who complain it doesn't cut straight, or all the way through. But those could be just operator errors. One woman wrote about buying a used one and the seller said she had only used it once. When the buyer tried it herself, it did cut poorly, but then she saw that there was a notch in the blade and when she reversed it, the machine worked fine.

Don't know what to think at this point.
Maybe I can help . The guide does go to 7 inches, but that has never been a problem for me. For anything wider than 7 inches I just mark a tick line on both ends of my chipboard, line it up on the center line, engage the pressure bar, and cut. Perfect cut every time. The guide is removable so that you can cut wider board. I've trimmed off 1/16th of an inch from my chipboard, smooth cut, no problem. As far as not cutting straight, I would guess that the operator did not adjust the pressure on both or either end of the cutter for the thickness of board, or possibly didn't engage the pressure bar. You may sometimes have to adjust your pressure bar depending on the thickness of chipboard you use. I had to adjust my pressure on both ends when I first got my Zutter Kutter to the thickness of the chipboard I normally use. If you adjust your pressure to your board thickness and then engage the pressure bar, your chipboard isn't going anywhere. The pressure bar holds it firm . There is a raised ridge at the bottom of the cutter and it's possible that some operators did not line up their board against the bottom edge. Cutting all the way through is not a problem if you do it in the four steps. Perhaps those users were only cutting to number 3. Number 3 is not meant for cutting all the way through in case you want to bend your chipboard. On number 4, it cuts all the way through. Another possibility is that the operator did not press down on the handle when cutting in order to engage the blade. If you don't press down on the handle it won't engage the blade properly. It doesn't take a lot to press down on the handle in case you were wondering. I've had my cutter for several months, use it a lot, and the same blade set on the same side of the blade that I started with is still going strong. If you are proficient with a normal paper cutter, you will not have a problem using the Zutter Kutter. Actually, the Zutter Kutter is easier to use than a regular paper cutter. If there is a scrap store near you, you might ask if they have a Zutter Kutter that they would let you try out. Also, think of your favorite tool that you never have a problem with and you will undoubtedly find negative reviews about it too . For every tool out there, some people will like it and some will not. I'm pretty sure there are some videos on youtube demonstrating the Zutter Kutter, so maybe some of those would help you to decide if this cutter is right for you. If you have any questions about the cutter, I'd be happy to answer them for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I ordered the Zutter. It was on Amazon for $73 and change, free shipping. And I am starting to think of a lot of times I would want to cut chipboard. (And I think that's called rationalizing.)

Also an extra blade.

I will report back with my review next week. I hope I love it.

Thanks for your extensive post on it, countryrose :-). Closest craft store hours away, so I'll just give it a try when I get it and send it back if it's not the right thing.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-16-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Well, here's the update...

Got the Kutter and set it up. Yes, it cuts chipboard easily. But making small cuts (like if I wanted to trim 1/4 inch off a piece of chipboard) seems impossible. If someone knows how to do it, I"d live to know.

Don't know what to think. I use chipboard with adhesive magnetic paper for my dies, and need to trim the chipboard about a 1/4 inch to fit easily in a page protector. Also have other times when I want to trim a small increment. Seems like this won't do it. I do other chipboard cutting, but not being able to trim small increments is a problem, given that I don't want to have to buy yet another trimmer for that purpose. I think this will have to go back., and I'll have to continue my search.

Good cutter for the purposes it does fulfill. Just not right for me.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-20-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Got the Kutter and set it up. Yes, it cuts chipboard easily. But making small cuts (like if I wanted to trim 1/4 inch off a piece of chipboard) seems impossible. If someone knows how to do it, I"d live to know.

Don't know what to think. I use chipboard with adhesive magnetic paper for my dies, and need to trim the chipboard about a 1/4 inch to fit easily in a page protector. Also have other times when I want to trim a small increment. Seems like this won't do it. I do other chipboard cutting, but not being able to trim small increments is a problem, given that I don't want to have to buy yet another trimmer for that purpose. I think this will have to go back., and I'll have to continue my search.

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep my Carl cutter then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I am now considering this Carl:

Amazon.com: CARL 12220 Bidex Heavy-Duty Rotary Trimmer

Is this the one you have? Of anyone here has?

It sounds like it would cut chipboard, if it will cut 30 sheets of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I am now considering this Carl:

Amazon.com: CARL 12220 Bidex Heavy-Duty Rotary Trimmer

Is this the one you have? Of anyone here has?

It sounds like it would cut chipboard, if it will cut 30 sheets of paper.
I have the DC 210, but it looks very similar to this one and also states that it can cut up to 30 sheets of 20lb paper. It cuts my chipboard pretty well, I will say it can cut maybe 20 sheets of computer paper or so. It takes up a lot of room. It is very good for making my journal books and I don't really have any complaints for that purpose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Can you give details of what you are doing when trying to cut smaller increments? I have never had a problem with cutting as close as 1/16 of an inch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

There's just no way to line the chipboard up straight, unless you are working with a piece 7 inches or less. If you want to cut 1/4 inch off a 8 inch piece of board, there's no way to do it. The guide only goes to 7 inches.

How do you do such small increments? I'd really love to know! :-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

There's just no way to line the chipboard up straight, unless you are working with a piece 7 inches or less. If you want to cut 1/4 inch off a 8 inch piece of board, there's no way to do it. The guide only goes to 7 inches.

How do you do such small increments? I'd really love to know! :-)!
Here's how I do it. Look straight down the center of the Zutter Kutter between the two long silver pressure bars where your blade cuts. The pink line that you will see in the center of those two bars is where I line up my chipboard for anything wider than 7 inches.

1) Remove the guide.

2)Take your 8" piece of chipboard and make a pencil mark on the top and bottom of your chipboard 1/4" in from the end you want to trim off.

3)With the guide removed, line up the bottom edge of your chipboard along the bottom edge of the Zutter Kutter where there is a ruler printed. That will be your straight edge guide.

4)Line up the top and bottom pencil marks with the pink line in the center of the Zutter Kutter, engage the pressure bar, and cut as you would normally.

If by chance, the edge on the bottom of your chipboard is not perfectly straight, you can still line up your pencil marks with the pink line down the center of your Zutter Kutter. If the bottom edge of your chipboard isn't perfectly straight, you will line up the pencil marks with the center line on the Zutter Kutter, but the bottom edge of your chipboard won't be lined up at the bottom ridge of the machine, just line up your pencil marks. Be sure to engage the pressure bars to make sure your chipboard stays in place and then cut as you normally would. If your chipboard shifts while cutting, you just need to increase the pressure a little bit on each end of the pressure bars until it holds your chipboard firmly in place.

When I cut anything wider than the guide allows, which is most of the time, I just remove the guide all together and line up my pencil marks with that center line. I have also cut off as little as 1/16" inch doing it this way.

Let me know if you have anymore questions .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Oh! That is clever! And makes total sense! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Oh! That is clever! And makes total sense! Thank you!
You're welcome . Have you tried cutting your chipboard yet? I'm curious to know how it turned out for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Ha! ;-) No, because as I said, I packed it up and returned it! Now that I know it can cut the smaller increments, I might reorder it. Still trying to decide whether the Zutter or the Carl is a better choice for me. Even with your excellent explanation on how to cut the smaller increments (and I'd spent enough time struggling with the one I had over the course of a couple of days to be able to understand exactly the method you described), I am still wondering if the Carl 210 or 220 would be able to function as more of an all-around trimmer. It can do single pages and stacks of multiple pages, and apparently will cut chipboard from what I've read here on the forum.

So, back in "consideration" mode! Will keep people posted, and certainly any further thoughts on this from anyone are more than welcome! Not being anywhere near a store where I can try these machines out is a distinct disadvantage.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-24-2013 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Ha! ;-) No, because as I said, I packed it up and returned it! Now that I know it can cut the smaller increments, I might reorder it. Still trying to decide whether the Zutter or the Carl is a better choice for me. Even with your excellent explanation on how to cut the smaller increments (and I'd spent enough time struggling with the one I had over the course of a couple of days to be able to understand exactly the method you described), I am still wondering if the Carl 210 or 220 would be able to function as more of an all-around trimmer. It can do single pages and stacks of multiple pages, and apparently will cut chipboard from what I've read here on the forum.

So, back in "consideration" mode! Will keep people posted, and certainly any further thoughts on this from anyone are more than welcome! Not being anywhere near a store where I can try these machines out is a distinct disadvantage.
Oh, I didn't realize you had already sent it back. Sorry I couldn't help while you still had it. Good luck in your search. I hope you find something that works well for you .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Well, I should have asked before I sent it back! One of those things - box came, lots going on, unpacked and got frustrated and couldn't just settle down and do some more research, just sent it back. Usually I don't have such knee jerk reactions!

But easy enough to reorder, if I decide to. Your explanation was very clear and had I waited and asked first and then given your directions a try, who knows. I would probably have kept it! It did cut chipboard with no problems at all....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Have you considered a professional knife sharpener to sharpen your guillotine blade? JoAnns periodically has one come by their stores. Just be careful getting skin too close to it afterwards, lol. One caveat: we had several heavy duty scissors sharpened and three out of five weren't done well (not quite as bad as before we took them in, but definitely not sharp either). Maybe it was due to his having too many items to sharpen in one day. At least you could try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

I've thought of sharpening up our Premier guillotine, because even as old as it is, it will hack off medium weight chipboard at this point, although not very cleanly. And if we could get the blade arm off of it, Mr. Wonderful could easily sharpen it himself. But it's not removable!

My Tonic does fine with very lightweight chipboard. But I wouldn't try anything heavier than that on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Well, I should have asked before I sent it back! One of those things - box came, lots going on, unpacked and got frustrated and couldn't just settle down and do some more research, just sent it back. Usually I don't have such knee jerk reactions!

But easy enough to reorder, if I decide to. Your explanation was very clear and had I waited and asked first and then given your directions a try, who knows. I would probably have kept it! It did cut chipboard with no problems at all....
It does cut chipboard great, but I also like that I can cut only to three and have 'bendable' chipboard when I need it . Comes in handy to have that if you want to make a cylinder shape too.
Reply With Quote Likes