Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wooden to clear

Bought the kit to change my wood mount stamps to clear, do I have to permanently adhere the stamps to the clear blocks?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what kit you mean, as I've never seen one sold for this purpose, but no, you wouldn't permanently adhere your stamps to the acrylic blocks.

The purpose of unmounting is to allow you to store the stamps in less space, and to re-use the blocks with all of the different stamps. You really only need a couple of blocks, mainly to have different sizes to match up with your stamps.

There are a number of different ways to have the stamp temporarily stick to the acrylic block. Cling foam, cling vinyl, or a repositional glue like Aleene's Tack It Over & Over are common ways. Another alternative some people will use is to put the adhesive on the block using a product called Tack N Peel.

Hope this helps!

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Tack-N-Peel - works GREAT!

LOVE Tack-N-Peel!! I have about 3/4 of my collection down to bare rubber, and they're a breeze to use with the TNP. I think one of my favorite parts is being able to clean the rubber by throwing it in water immediately after use, without having to worry about "babying" wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get this kit and what is in it? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

hi, i got the "kit" through st stampin up catalog. It is basically 2 sheets, 8 1/2 by 11, of cling foam, 1 side adhesive and the other side cling, not sure exactly how to do it correctly and am holding off until i can talk to someone who has used it, or maybe another method
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, so you basically got clingfoam sheets.

Basically, what you are going to need to do is remove your stamps from the blocks (most people use a microwave to do this, but sometimes you can just peel them off) and get them so that they are just down to the bare rubber sheet. Then if you want to use cling foam you'll need to stick the bare rubber onto the sticky side of the foam sheet and cut them out.

Here are two of the many YouTube videos on how you will mount and cut the stamps using the EZ mount, just so that you can get a basic idea of what is involved.

Tutorial: Mounting Stamps using EZ Mount - YouTube

Joanna Sheen - Unmounted Rubber Stamps and EZ Mount Foam - YouTube

I am no expert on this. I've mounted stamps on EZ mount a couple of times, but they were unmounted sheets that I bought that way, so I've not done the removal from wood blocks.

I'm sure others will post to this here. If you don't get replies from people with experience on this thread, try posting in the General forum. Something like "Never unmounted stamps before, need help."

Going from wood mount to cling foam is not a difficult thing to do, but does take some time and there are tips others can give you to make it easier. Of course, you might decide you don't want to bother. But in my experience reading threads here, nearly everyone who unmounts their wood stamps finds it is worth it in terms of ease of storage and organization.

Hope this helps a little! Lots of folks on here have lots of experience, so hopefully you will hear from them.
Reply With Quote Likes