Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

BCRibbon

I am a child of the 50's. I was raised in both the northwest and southwest portion of the United States. I have been married for 46 years to my high school sweetheart. We have two grown children, and one little grandson who is the light and love of our lives. We've had more adventures than two kids from the west valley of Phoenix ever dreamed of. And a piece of our hearts resides in all those places.

I have been a member of Splitcoaststampers since 2010, a Dirty Dozen Designer from January - June 2014, and now an Alumni. I am hosting one of the HYCCT challenges, Heart Song, this year with my dear friend, Rosalee Coke, in mind. Rosalee was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of this year. I'd also like to mention another friend, Nancy Worzell, who is a 10 year breast cancer survivor.

I have had a life time of serious. 19004_10200151808825464_225526371_n_zps034eca76.jpg

I am a former Navy wife, and the mother of a former Marine who became an analyst with an expertise in north African affairs. During a point in my career I worked with my husband (a retired navy officer and cryptologist) in the same office for over 4 years.

The majority of my career was spent as a Defense Contractor supporting the Intelligence Communities. In 1999 I was asked to serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States as a FOIA Officer for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and was deployed to the National Reconnaissance Office in Chantilly, Virginia in the Office of Policy. Factoid: Did you know that Julia Child worked for the OSS (the forerunner to the CIA)? Her time in the OSS is listed in the book, Sisterhood of Spies: The Women of the OSS Our connection to friends and colleagues during our time in the navy and working in the intelligence community are ones we still cherish today.

I have met with the first woman appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, Sandra Day O'Connor, in her chambers. She is a woman of true grit!

I've flown in the side sling seat of a C141 from Adak, Alaska (one of the last islands in the Aleutian chain) back to the mainland of the U.S.

Now I enjoy time in my studio rekindling my love of art. 1477960_10202203856525374_1229996352_n_zps6d711365.jpg

Some sprinkles of sugar and spice you might like to know about me: Nana_B_-_Sugar_and_Spice_8_copy_by_PaperPunchScissors_zps9aea579d.jpg

I am the character of Nana B (along with my little peep, Teddy, who provides plenty of material for stories).

I love a good cuppa with milk and sugar.

My favorite book: Hinds Feet on High Places.

My favorite film composer and conductor: John Barry.

I love all the James Bond films. My favorite: You Only Live Twice.

I never tire of telling the love story of our son and daughter-in-law.

I have been creating real Gingerbread houses for 30 years - some have been donated to places like: San Diego's Children's Hospital, Christmas parties for homeless children in Washington, D.C., and Senior Assisted Living Homes in northern Virginia.

I am bringing back the "Felt Board" for our little grandson with felt board sets made from stamps and die cuts

I would love to write and illustrate a children's book featuring Nana B NanaB_zps1f6629e8.jpg

I am a woman of many faces whose story is still unfolding through the many mediums of art.

16277_10200345729233353_1114507576_n_zpsb4bc4b1c.jpg

Thank you so much for joining us in the 2014 Hope You Can Cling To Challenge. We appreciate YOU!
My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I LOVE your story. I remember the surprise and delight I felt when I realized I'd picked a spy FOIA Officer for the Dirty Dozen! I'm secretly assembling a zombie apocalypse team - I've got you, an airline pilot, a beer taster, a person with access to unlimited Hershey products and - well, I'd tell you the rest but I'd have to kill you.

I love your peaceful space - I can see it in every beautiful card you make! Thank you for hostessing!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

BCRibbon Meet the Host - HYCCT 1413 Heart Song

Thank you, Lydia. It's a good thing I was not covert. I would be channeling either Goldie Hawn (looking for a pink uniform) or the woman officer in "Police Academy" Freeze sucker! Neither would be pretty *Bwhahaha* Although I've been known to take no prisoners in a briefing.

It has been my pleasure to take part in the HYCCT challenge this year. And if we need to get out of this place fast -- I'll be on the next flight with Jen
My Blog
Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Susie, I just read your dear son and daughter in law's love story out loud to Mike, and I have to say, you are a marvelous story teller indeed! Mike said, "Who wrote that?" You are just so full of surprises, Susie! What a beautiful studio you have to play in, and how about that cute little Teddy! His cheeks are so chubby, I could just squeeze them! You are so blessed! Isn't God so amazing?

�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wwow! What an exciting life! Thanks for sharing with us!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You are an amazing woman!!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Love.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

what a sweet way to start my day. thanks for being an inspiration.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

BCRibbon Thank you

Thanks ladies!

We're half way through our HYCCT challenge and card drive with over 1,400 cards made - amazing! That's a lot of encouragement wrapped up in pretty packages isn't it? Thanks again for giving of your time and talent to be part of this worth while event. And thank you too for visiting my "Meet the Host" page. Appreciate it.

Hugs,
My Blog
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Very cool read! Sounds like an exciting, busy life. I hope you do write & illustrate a book with Nana B, I love your illustrations, and writing!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Susie, you had such an INTERESTING life! I am so glad you shared it with us! Thank you for being hostess for HYCCT!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv