Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I'm Julie and this is my very first time hosting any challenge of any kind over here on SCS. To say that I am HONORED to be here would be an absolute understatement -- not only because of this wonderful cause of lifting up women who are in the fights of their lives, but to be with all these incredibly creative challenge hostesses! I love the fact that when it comes to Hope You Can Cling To, you see people using their talents to help others. It's a beautiful thing!

Okay, a little bit about me.....

I live in Billings, MT which is affectionately called the Magic City! It's kind of a big little city that's really close to a whole bunch of beautiful things.

We live about two hours from Yellowstone National Park and are in prime skiing and fly fishing country. I really love having all this beautiful nature right in my back yard! (We are literally down the street from the Yellowstone River). Here's one of my favorite pics when I was lucky enough to share my part of the country with a few of my stamping sisters! You might recognize a few of these ladies below since they are super stars here on SCS -- Cindy Lawrence, Tosha Leyendekker, and Stacy Morgan! Christine Okken was also on that trip but didn't join us for the whitewater excursion! Love those girls!

I'm married to my best friend, Ken (and have been for 19 years), and together we have two kiddos (Calvin, 17 & Ellie, 11). While I love my crafting time, following my kids in athletics has been a huge "hobby" of mine! I can't tell you how many times I woke up the morning after one of their big games (whether it be fast pitch softball, basketball or football) without a voice. YES, I am "that mom!" Here's a rare moment (this photo is about 3 years old) where my son and daughter actually let us take a family picture!!!

You might wonder where my SCS name "Out To Impress" came from. Well, when I first started stamping, I had this big dream to one day own my own stamp store. I literally traveled the state dropping by local shops, chatting with owners and seeing what set each store apart. I had a binder FULL of ideas! I thought one way to break into the business and meet some folks would be to do small vendor shows and dip my foot into the business owner waters. My store name was going to be "Out To Impress" because I thought those who make cards are hoping that folks notice and appreciate the handiwork AND, stamping is, well, "impressing" -- literally! See the definition?

im•press1
verb
imˈpres/

1. make (someone) feel admiration and respect.

"they immediately impressed the judges"
synonyms: make an impression on, have an impact on, influence, affect, move,stir, rouse, excite, inspire;

2. make a mark or design on (an object) using a stamp or seal; imprint.
"she impressed the damp clay with her seal"

After a year or so of research and hearing store owners tell me time and again, "Don't buy a stamp store if you think you'll stamp more!" I decided that I needed to enjoy life and create more, not less. After all, coloring and creating is a WHOLE LOT cheaper than therapy! So, I put that dream on the shelf! (And that's okay). I had already signed up here on SCS under that name and, well, it stuck!

Today, my "day job" is the managing editor of a regional women's magazine called Yellowstone Valley Woman. Thank goodness I am not the copy editor because even though I love to tell a great story, I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar. I thank my lucky stars that I have my copy editor Jim, who is in his 70s and literally reads novels with a red pen to correct grammar errors. I love that!

I really feel blessed to be here supporting Hope You Can Cling To. Like many who are hosting challenges this month, I too have a personal connection to cancer. I lost my dad ten years ago to lung cancer. He was and is my hero.

I will never forget his fight and the strength he exuded in the midst of his physical weakness. I pray that in my lifetime we figure out what causes all types of cancer to put an end to this devastating disease for good. I wrote a little note on my blog about the lessons my dad lovingly taught me. If you want to read about this man who will forever live in my heart, you can click HERE. Miss You Dad! XOXOXOXO!

So as you create and upload your HYCCT creations this month, know that I am raising my glass to you (clink) and thanking you for sharing your time and talents for such a beautiful cause. Let's bless these women at UT MD Anderson Cancer Center with a sea of pink creativity!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Oh Julie I so enjoyed reading this! I LOVE your beautiful home city and I love hearing the story about your username.

What an honor to have you in our hostess group!!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

Loved the rafting picture and was thinking how much fun that would be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for sharing a little piece of your life with us, Julie! You have a beautiful family, and you seem to live in a wonderful part of the country!

�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beautiful family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Julie, it's lovely reading about your family, your area and your stamping dreams of opening a store - I know from my experience of growing up in a family which ran a retail business, there's so much work behind the scenes which people don't see. But you've lived up to the name, Julie, as we are definitely impressed with your gorgeous work!
Reply With Quote Likes