Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   2014 Hope You Can Cling To Archive (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/2014-hope-you-can-cling-archive-429/)
-   -   Meet Your Challenge Hosts - JBGreendawn (Stacy) (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/2014-hope-you-can-cling-archive-429/meet-your-challenge-hosts-jbgreendawn-stacy-593307/)

JBgreendawn 10-06-2014 06:40 PM

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gif Hi, My name is Stacy. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wKEV6WABPN.../Dtgdstacy.jpg
I get these "Hey, Dawn.." and it takes me a while to figure out someone really means me.
my screen name is an abbreviation of Johnson's Brothers Greendawn it's an depression china pattern
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2M0CZ0n1Ep...egg%2Bcups.jpg
that is interestingly enough green all the way through it, so if a piece is chipped it just chips the clear glaze off. I got tagged with this was back in the beginning of using the internet when I needed an AIM ( does anyone even use AIM anymore?) screen name and I have used it for everything else ever since. I was NOT going to have anything to do with using the internet thank you very much... My husband has hunted down many many pieces for me over the years this collection started with 3 boxes at a yard sale for 20.00 whole dollars when my son was in a stroller and I could not resist how "pretty" the shade of green was.
Besides stamping I am an flower gardener, shutterbug, & avid reader http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HyXWsTpS5j...%2Breading.jpg and with some help from my friends I have collected over 2K books in my kindle to be read pile that grows daily... yes, I am rolling my eyes as I was NOT going to be reading on a book without pages either...
There is a theme to this denial thing you see going along here. My birthday is the day before Halloween so, yes, my dad and grandpa did take me out trick or treating when I was 24 hours old.
and playing dress up has not ended as of yet as Hubs and I go to Renaissance Faires when we get a chance to play.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1wyrHu8ZKj.../tsbwsmall.jpg It still amazes me that my husband is willing to dress up and play along with me. We have been married for 25 years by the time you read this.

We have one grown son who is living his dream of being an Marine http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PZR8jr_lxb...oppedEGAsm.jpg and is a student learning for his job.

I cannot tell you that I got involved with participating in Hope you can cling to's card drive because, of a personal family history dealing with breast cancer, all the survivor's I know and admire or love are friends or are like family and they are just some of the strongest chicks I know. So, I do this to give back because, I can. Thank's so much for spending your time playing along with us and doing what you can to help bring some smiles to these families fighting this battle.

UnderstandBlue 10-21-2014 08:19 PM

HAHA! My mom was never going to get a Kindle either. LOL.

Love the picture of your son - my hubby is a Marine - those are special humans - you are an awesome mom.

Off to research that china - I have wondered about your name!!

Thanks for hostessing - you are awesome!

mrslaird 10-22-2014 04:14 AM

Stacy, I love your pictures! You're awesome! I want your Renfaire costume. :) You should come to the Texas Renfest in November sometime!!! :D

JBgreendawn 10-22-2014 06:22 AM

you guys have Faire in November? (is it still hotter than anywhere else then?) they tend to do them in the NW say June - Sept. and that shot was taken in Sept. when it was 100+ degrees so you know how dripping we were under it all :roll:

JBgreendawn 10-22-2014 06:28 AM

I actually have that shot with the EGA as a whole body and you can see his face but, I cropped it to show just this part and it got a bit blurry. ( probably I should put my glasses on too ) lol

mamaxsix 10-22-2014 06:31 AM

Let's see: stamper-check, gardener-check, shutterbug-check, avid reader-check, Ren Fair.....well you had me up to that point!!! I've always thought it looked like fun though and it is a fun time period to study with my kids.
Fun pictures and nice to get to know you a bit better!

JBgreendawn 10-22-2014 06:46 AM

Gail... it's really all about the costumes ;) ( and we photograph other people's costumes) lol

mrslaird 10-22-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 20788783)
you guys have Faire in November? (is it still hotter than anywhere else then?) they tend to do them in the NW say June - Sept. and that shot was taken in Sept. when it was 100+ degrees so you know how dripping we were under it all :roll:

It's weekends all October and November and it's warm, but definitely not 100 degrees! Texas Renaissance Festival | Renaissance Festival Events in Texas | Texas Fairs and Festivals We usually go in November because it's cooler. I'm determined to dress up this year. I have a hunter green leather bodice, but need a skirt. I'm thinking brown or black, but haven't figured out what kind of fabric to get.

JBgreendawn 10-22-2014 07:00 AM

Cotton, really heavy rough cotton is more in line with what they would have used. (no prints or textures) I have one that is a dark cream color and so it goes with all the bodices I have collected. and a very pale green one (that is almost a dirty greendawn color :roll:) but, I have a really hard time finding people who can sew the skirts long enough, most the booths where the vendors are selling hand made ones are made for people say under 5'7" ish... So, depending on how tall you are make sure you get someone who can make it long enough to cover up the tops of your shoes.
if your short you can always have it hemmed :)

ETA this is the link to where that photo above was shot ( Sept 2013) http://shrewfaire.com/
they do have a lot of booths put up by the guilds that are learning ones so, we used to take our son's friend ( he had met in kindergarten that ended up being homeschooled at 4th grade ) and so, it gave his mom something else to talk about before he went he knew the lingo.

mrslaird 10-22-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 20788821)
Cotton, really heavy rough cotton is more in line with what they would have used. (no prints or textures) I have one that is a dark cream color and so it goes with all the bodices I have collected. and a very pale green one (that is almost a dirty greendawn color :roll:) but, I have a really hard time finding people who can sew the skirts long enough, most the booths where the vendors are selling hand made ones are made for people say under 5'7" ish... So, depending on how tall you are make sure you get someone who can make it long enough to cover up the tops of your shoes.
if your short you can always have it hemmed :)

ETA this is the link to where that photo above was shot ( Sept 2013) Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire -- Kings Valley - Oregon -- Gates are Open from 10am to 6pm -- September 12th & 13th, 2015
they do have a lot of booths put up by the guilds that are learning ones so, we used to take our son's friend ( he had met in kindergarten that ended up being homeschooled at 4th grade ) and so, it gave his mom something else to talk about before he went he knew the lingo.

I'm 5'2" and I'll be making it myself. :) I was thinking of a cotton gauze and a petticoat since it's pre-wrinkled. Heavier would be better and maybe not need a petticoat, which would be nice. I think I made one for my mom years ago out of a gabardine?

JBgreendawn 10-22-2014 07:22 AM

The cream one I have is heavy and ( I do not sew on any of my sewing machines with fabric lol only on paper...) I can sew fabric but, I cannot stand how it wiggles all over the place so, I bought that one off a gal who was selling them on ebay a long time ago and I don't know the name of it but, its has almost like little fuzze balls of the fabric on it and it is very heavy, unlined and then it has a button closure at the waist but, I ended up adding some velcro to the opening where the button closure is because, it would always have my shirt trying to come out of that hole. the green one has a drawstring waist. and is much thinner of a cotton. so that one I end up wearing a second long skirt under it and sometimes a third ( I have some short skirts that my mind is blank what they are called but, they are knee lengths at the points, not a straight hem) over the top.

mrslaird 10-22-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn (Post 20788839)
The cream one I have is heavy and ( I do not sew on any of my sewing machines with fabric lol only on paper...) I can sew fabric but, I cannot stand how it wiggles all over the place so, I bought that one off a gal who was selling them on ebay a long time ago and I don't know the name of it but, its has almost like little fuzze balls of the fabric on it and it is very heavy, unlined and then it has a button closure at the waist but, I ended up adding some velcro to the opening where the button closure is because, it would always have my shirt trying to come out of that hole. the green one has a drawstring waist. and is much thinner of a cotton. so that one I end up wearing a second long skirt under it and sometimes a third ( I have some short skirts that my mind is blank what they are called but, they are knee lengths at the points, not a straight hem) over the top.

I know what skirts you're talking about! Something heavy that wrinkles in a natural way, not an I-was-riding-in-a-car-for-3-hours-to-get-here way would be ideal. :) And I'm probably going drawstring or grommet closure. I have no idea where my buttonhole attachment is for my machine.

Benzi 10-22-2014 08:08 AM

Hi Stacy, I'm happy to learn where you got your name. I had always wondered. The Depression china pattern is pretty...such a beautiful green.
We have a nice Renaissance Fair in our city, too...fun costumes.

You sure have a lot of reading to catch up with. Ha Love your photos.

JBgreendawn 10-22-2014 08:32 AM

I will never be caught up... that would be such a sad day ( not that it stops me from re-reading favorite books and series :mrgreen: )

one coat of paint has gone onto the trim in the hallway bath and I need to make an appearance at work today. but, I will be back to see what you all have been up to later :)
have a good day ladies!

catcrazy 10-22-2014 02:52 PM

Stacy I too was NEVER getting a Kindle!! I'm sure i have as many books as you or more! ;-) Enjoyed looking at all your pictures.

Cook22 10-24-2014 04:10 AM

I never knew about your username although I've always known you were Stacy not Dawn ;-). Love the costume photo! This year there was a BIG re-enactment over here because it was the 1000th anniversary of a famous battle. It was in April, which was pretty cold here this year and apparently a lot of the Americans who came over for it were feeling the cold in their outfits which would have been plenty warm for them back home. On the other hand, we have a friend who "is" a Roman centurion, and since we had a very warm summer here he was thinking of asking me to make something for him that would not be quite as sweaty as his heavy wool tunic, like maybe linen...