Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 283 Likes on 183 Posts

Hi! My name is Kim, aka berlycece. While in college, I went by Kimberly, so if someone just said Kim, I would add "berly. Please call me Kimberly." Well, wouldn't you know, a music instructor in one of my theory classes asked me to sight read: "Okay, Berly. Show us how it's done!" My college friends still call me Berly! (The Cece part is just for Cecilia, my confirmation name. Patron Saint of music.)

My degree is in Music Therapy, and I worked in the field at a local hospital in the psych department for 5 years. Fulfilling, but very difficult work. I stopped after a very difficult pregnancy, which caused major health issues for me. My son, Gabriel, was stillborn at 33 weeks. I spent 3 months in the hospital, unable to move at all in the beginning. I thank God for every day...and stamping is literally therapeutic for me!

I went to a Stampin' Up party years ago, was intrigued, placed an order...and let it sit nearly untouched for years. I pulled the stuff out when I had a house full of foster kids. (We had 41 of them over 8 years). I helped kids with scrapbooking and card making before I did much of it on my own.

After doing foster care, I began full-time work directing a pregnancy resource center. I served as ED from 2002 until May of this year. I participated in a monthly stamp club with a friend (and former employee) who introduced me to this wonderful site! It took me a while to really check things out. I literally first joined SCS, because I had given up TV for Lent. Ha! My husband was working 2nd shift at the time, so I spent many evening hours in the forums...and got hooked on the Challenges through the "Challenge Chasers" aka stalkers. My card making hobby grew over time, and it brings me a lot of joy! I was a SU demo for a few years, but definitely spent more than I sold. I am blessed to have a full, messy room dedicated to card making.

Now that I am not directing the pregnancy center, I am doing some consulting work with other non-profits, along with keynote speaking. I like having more control over my schedule...it gives me a chance to do things like Hope You Can Cling To!

Some other stuff:

I get my musical interest from my dad (now deceased) and my arts/crafts side from my mom, who got it from grandma. She loves scrapbooking and quilting, and enjoys a bit of card making when she visits.

I have had a neuro-muscular disorder (Dejerine-Sottas) my entire life. It causes generalized weakness and lousy balance. It is progressive. I can walk short distances and stand if I am leaning at a speaker podium or being held secure by a friend! I often use a scooter wheelchair to get around town (I don't drive a car). My scooter's name is Stephen. ;-) Sometimes, I use a manual chair, since my scooter won't fit in most peoples' cars.

My DH, Bruce, and I have been married 21 years (as of Oct 9th). We celebrated our 20th with a once-in-a-lifetime-trip to Italy. The major highlight was getting a hug from Pope Francis! Sometimes being in a wheelchair stinks. At the Vatican, it's a perk!

I still wear kids' sized shoes. Size 2-1/2 wide. I live in Mary Janes. Ugh. Brown, black, navy...at least I found some cute purple ones earlier this year. I can't walk in other shoes, let alone sandals. Someday, I will be in a wheelchair permanently. The upside? I will have a FABULOUS shoe collection! :mrgreen:

Bruce calls everyone here my "imaginary friends," but I have met a few challenge chasers in real life: Dawn (dawnmercedes) Kelly (Kelly H), Evelyn (Rican Stamper), Kathy (jostvig) and Melissa (toknighton). Hope to meet more in the future!

I have many connections to the issue of breast cancer, friends and family both. But I am most mindful of 2 aunts. My mom's sister Pat is a breast cancer survivor. She is AMAZING! She is artistic, full of faith, joy, and laughter. I wish I could find a picture of this...when she first had chemo and lost her hair, she did not want her 2 young grandkids to be scared. So when she visited, she brought some special markers for face painting. The girls put butterflies and rainbows all over Pat's face and head...and she decorated their cute faces!
My mom also had a step-sister who died from breast cancer a couple of years ago. I did not know her as well, but I saw how it impacted my mom. It can be so confusing to see one sister beat the Big C, and another lose the battle. Just shows how much we need to support family and friends who are living with cancer directly or in a loved one. You just never know.

I am happy to join the line-up of HYCCT hostesses this year. I look forward to making cards for some people I know, as well as sending many along to MD Anderson. The world needs more love and encouragement...and why not share it in the form of a hand-crafted card?

Inky {{{HUGS}}}
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3296-13362.jpg (41.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 3296-13388 - Copy.JPG (94.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg BPKP Bqt 2014.jpg (60.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Christmas Eve.jpg (64.4 KB, 19 views)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

So glad to "meet" you here on SCS! Thanks for sharing your life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

It's so nice to meet you! The photos with the Pope really capture the emotion of the moment for you both. Just beautiful!

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So nice to meet you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 457 Likes on 235 Posts

Thank you for the photos and the stories. I always wondered about your SCS name, and now I know! You sound really upbeat considering what you are going through. I do believe that attitude plays a huge part in life, and it's nice to know you have a good one. Keep up the smiles and positiveness in your life~ Hugs

�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So good to get to know you a bit here, Kim! Thanks for being a fab hostess!
Reply With Quote Likes