Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm Barbara Joyce, and I am thrilled to be your hostess today!

I was born in Philadelphia, and lived in the Washington, DC, area from 1948 until 2001. In 1963, I graduated from college, and three days later, I married the love of my life, Jim. He's the world's greatest baseball fan!

Baseball Jim

We have been married for 51 years! :-) We have a daughter who lives in the Seattle area, and a son who lives in the Denver area.

In 2001, we decided to move to the other Washington to be near our daughter and son-in-law. We put our house on the market on September 7th. Lots of traffic over the weekend, and then came 9/11. What a terrible period in our history, and of course, no shoppers at all. We were finally able to sell that house, and found a perfect home for us in Snoqualmie, WA. We're about 25 miles east of Seattle in a lovely, suburban bedroom community.

In 2002, a friend invited me to participate in a card-making class at a local stamping store. I enjoyed it so much, and then had a great time at a stamp camp at a neighbor's home. From then on, I was hooked! I love papercrafts, especially making greeting cards. You might recognize me from the SCS weekly Color Challenges every Tuesday, where I've been a Guest Hostess since last May. It has been a delight to play with the Color Challenge Divas each week.

I am so glad to be participating in the HYCCT challenges. I have been very fortunate that no one in my immediate family has been touched by cancer, although one of my closest friends did have a little scare about a year ago. Her cancer was found through a routine mammogram. With surgery and radiation, she is cancer-free, which is wonderful, of course. Let this be a lesson to us all to get our mammograms according to a specific schedule, and get them on time! Mammograms save lives!

Things you might not know about me:

� My parents wanted to name me Joyce, but my mother's brother already had a daughter named Joyce, so I was named Barbara, but my middle name is Joy. My husband is Jim Joyce, and I am Barbara Joy Joyce. So glad they didn't name me Joyce, or I would be Joyce Joyce!

� We have an electric car, which we love and drive almost exclusively. It is such fun to drive, zippy pickup, and the electricity (which is all green power�wind, hydroelectric, or solar) costs the equivalent of about 78 cents per gallon for gas! 26,000 miles without a drop of gas!

� Besides my passion for papercrafts, my other hobbies are needlework and bobbin lacemaking.

ornamentlace

� I will eat almost anything, but cannot stand black licorice or cilantro. My favorite food is definitely chocolate.

� My daughter and son-in-law are vegetarian, and my daughter is also gluten-free, so I have become a versatile cook and baker. They join us for dinner about once a week, which is the highlight of my week!

� I'm not fond of housework! ;)

Thanks for joining us in this year's Hope You Can Cling To challenges, for making beautiful cards, AND for sending them to MD Anderson Cancer Center.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #2  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

So cool to learn more about you! I have always wanted to learn lace-making! I'd love to see some pieces you've made!

Black licorice is disgusting.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 458 Likes on 236 Posts

Barbara, you look way young to be married 51 years! Good for you! ; ) I'm loving learning about all the hostesses and black licorice is the only kind I care for! I drink licorice tea-one of my favorites!

�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

OK, so the current vote is black licorice-YES, 1; black licorice-NO, 2!

Anyone care to chime in about cilantro? ;-)

Roberta, thanks for the compliment--only my hairdresser knows for sure! ;-)

Paula, if you're interested in learning bobbin lace, PM me with your location and I'll try to find you a lace guild in your area.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #5  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
OK, so the current vote is black licorice-YES, 1; black licorice-NO, 2!

Anyone care to chime in about cilantro? ;-)

Roberta, thanks for the compliment--only my hairdresser knows for sure! ;-)

Paula, if you're interested in learning bobbin lace, PM me with your location and I'll try to find you a lace guild in your area.
I'm neutral on cilantro. And, for the record, I think all licorice is nasty and I also dislike anise.
And I also think you look young!
I don't dare learn a new hobby this year, but I'll let you know if I clear some craft space!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 458 Likes on 236 Posts

I don't eat cilantro. When my DH and I were dating, every time we went to the movies I would get one of those HUGE boxes of assorted licorice and eat it all. My favorite is the pink or yellow with coconut and a black round piece in the center. Yum! I still love that stuff years later, but it doesn't love me back. : (

�Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.�
― Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Barbara, so good to get to know a little about you. I had a good chuckle about your name middle name etc.
For the record - I do like certain types of black licorice.
- I do like cilantro
- And I love Bobbin Lace! I learned how to make it a little years ago - like 35 years ago. But we moved about a year ago to an area where there is a Lace Guild (close by). There was one in Houston too, but it was in the downtown area and at night. I just didn't want to drive down there by myself to go to the guild. So I am going to try to get back into it. I still have a couple of pieces I did way back when!
See you on the color challenges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool that you do bobbin lacemaking!! I thought Cross Stitching could make me go cross-eyed, tho I enjoy it, but just looking at all those bobbins in the picture does it to me. I don't like Black licorice tho my parents both love it. I did try licorice tea recently and was surprised I liked it. The tea is naturally sweet and I don't think it tastes anything like the licorice candy. I do like cilantro, in small amounts. Too much & my body lets me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barbara, Thanks for being a hostess for HYCCT! We appreciate your time. I think being Joyce Joyce would be fun! You could really put a lot of people on! Thanks for sharing part of your personal life with us!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes