Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #1441  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to check out the whole gallery. Since I've finished up with all my cards, I have been diligently working on my digital albums trying to get them completed before my deadline of tomorrow. I finished one which had 725 photos on 115 pages and it has been submitted already. Now I am working on my last one which will be about half that size. I will be happy when I can just sit back with my coffee and peruse the gallery. I'm sure I will get all kinds of new ideas too! This has been so exciting and rewarding for me. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #1442  
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixForums at Splitcoaststampers
Once y'all have recovered a bit; hope you'll have a bit of time to spread some love in the gallery to those who're just finishing up. Lots of cards with under 3 comments in there. You can sort the gallery so that it arranges the cards by the number of comments by using the sort features at the bottom of the gallery page by choosing these options:
Sort by: # of comments
Timeframe: beginning
Order: Ascending
Sort now
Again-congrats to all and happy commenting!
Left a little love this morning. Hope to now be able to fit in a few commenting sessions a day as able!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #1443  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhondaTXForums at Splitcoaststampers
I have been diligently working on my digital albums trying to get them completed before my deadline of tomorrow. I finished one which had 725 photos on 115 pages and it has been submitted already. Now I am working on my last one which will be about half that size.
It is my 17yo DD's Senior Year which means school days scrapbook time for me. I'm sort of dreading the getting started part because she marks the beginning of mostly digital pictures for me. I have a good handle on the already printed photos (she'll be my 4th graduate) but I haven't done as well keeping the digital photos in good arrangement. I like the actual scrapbooking part, it is the initial photo printing, sorting, editing part that isn't as fun for me. I'm a little rusty since her next oldest sib is 3 years older and I haven't really done any scrapbooking since doing his graduation book. I have meant to do one of my DD's wedding but I'm a little behind the curve on that one since she just celebrated anniversary #2!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #1444  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Once y'all have recovered a bit; hope you'll have a bit of time to spread some love in the gallery to those who're just finishing up. Lots of cards with under 3 comments in there. You can sort the gallery so that it arranges the cards by the number of comments by using the sort features at the bottom of the gallery page by choosing these options:
Sort by: # of comments
Timeframe: beginning
Order: Ascending
Sort now
Again-congrats to all and happy commenting!
Great idea! Thanks for letting me know how to sort by number of comments. This will help me spread some love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #1445  
Swapper of the Month - September 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally contributed some cards to the gallery. This is my first year I have missed the festivities. Who knew I would be busier not working than working? I won't be making the queen's thread but will at least have a box from my stash to send at the end of the week - plus the few I made for this year's challenges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #1446  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now down to three. Whew. I loved playing with Susie's challenge using 2 mediums. I am a bit obsessed with my distress inks and watercolor paper. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #1447  
Forum Fanatic

got my cards in the mail yesterday. that's a good feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #1448  

I finished! Now I have to take the rest of my pictures and upload them tomorrow. Yay! I love being able to feel accomplished. Being at home and fighting a messy toddler and husband make me feel like I never finish anything, so this was nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #1449  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyann22Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I finished! Now I have to take the rest of my pictures and upload them tomorrow. Yay! I love being able to feel accomplished. Being at home and fighting a messy toddler and husband make me feel like I never finish anything, so this was nice.
Don't wait until the last minute to make the queen's list...it took me several tries and some anxiety to get it accomplished.

Was hoping you would get finished...and yeah you did it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #1450  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Went to the post office today and picked up a flat rate box. Now I just have to get the mailing envelopes paired up with them and get them into clear envelopes. Maybe over the weekend....I need to clean my house first!!!! I went through my stash also, and will be sending more than the 35 challenge cards. Suffering from withdrawal from the daily challenges
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514
CC Guest Design Team Member for October 2012 & August 2013 & August 2017 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #1451  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Rita, I have to take my hat off to you! I don't think I made ONE card when my boys were toddlers!

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 AM   #1452  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Quote:

Yay! I finished last night too! Pictures and uploads today!

Laugh Hard. Run Fast. Be Kind
- Twelve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 04:01 AM   #1453  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslairdForums at Splitcoaststampers
Yay! I finished last night too! Pictures and uploads today!

Remember it is 11:59 AM...before noon...CST...

I'm excited to know how many Queens there are but I'm also excited to know how many people actually participated! Can not imagine the number of packages they are receiving...mine go out this morning!

Also taking the 20 cards I made for my local hospital...so I made 55 this month for donation!

Thanks again for those behind the scene people...and those who encouraged me along this month to keep making cards among the other needs in my life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 04:21 AM   #1454  
Glitter Guru

Just a reminder as I found a couple of cards in someones gallery last night that had been entered into the wrong gallery. As you're doing your queen posts and checking your links, just look at the top of the screen for each card and make sure it says HYCCT gallery. If not, you can edit the photo and put it into the correct one. Lydia has a screen shot in the Forums at Splitcoaststampers that shows the 3 choices you need to make to end up in the correct place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #1455  
Proud Fan Club Member

No panic ladies...my excitement has gotten the best of me and I was thinking today was the 7th...it isn't...

Yeah...more time for cards to be made and more queen crowns to be earned...

OH DEAR...hope I didn't cause anyone anxiety issues other than myself...

I'm so excited about the cards getting in the mail...I can't stand my excitement!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #1456  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfinlayForums at Splitcoaststampers
Rita, I have to take my hat off to you! I don't think I made ONE card when my boys were toddlers!
I was very lucky to have my mom visiting and my husband on vacation. lol Jason also knows how much it means to me to do these challenges, so he was wonderful about giving me lots of stamping time. He ever encouraged me go finish last night. It was definitely much more difficult than the past two years though. I hope she will be old enough to stamp along with me a bit next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #1457  
Glitter Guru

When my kids were younger I picked up some supplies just for them. Washable inks, foam stamps or inexpensive ones that were "their stamps" and some less expensive papers and stickers. I had a box of supplies that I could pull out for them to stamp alongside me. They knew not to use my ink pads without my help (lesson learned the hard way when I let a group of my DD's friends use my stuff at a slumber party and they cross-contaminated a bunch of pads due to forgetting to wash the stamp in between colors!). I wanted them to love stamping too; it was part of why I started stamping in the first place.
Funny thing is-I've borrowed some of their images for challenges when I didn't have the right image in my own stash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #1458  

Quote:

When my kids were younger I picked up some supplies just for them. Washable inks, foam stamps or inexpensive ones that were "their stamps" and some less expensive papers and stickers. I had a box of supplies that I could pull out for them to stamp alongside me. They knew not to use my ink pads without my help (lesson learned the hard way when I let a group of my DD's friends use my stuff at a slumber party and they cross-contaminated a bunch of pads due to forgetting to wash the stamp in between colors!). I wanted them to love stamping too; it was part of why I started stamping in the first place.
Funny thing is-I've borrowed some of their images for challenges when I didn't have the right image in my own stash!
I've been saving my older, retired ink pads and some stamps for her, but I like the washable inks and foam stamps idea for now. I'll look for those. Maybe I can put a few in her stocking. We got her an easel for Christmas, so I have my fingers crossed that she'll like art stuff. She seems to be more into telling us to draw things for her right now. She's smart enough to pass off the actual work and just enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor. Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #1459  

My kids love art stuff and I love that they love it! But. We don't work together. I let them do their stuff and hang out to help them if they need it. I do my stuff when they're playing or watching tv or sleeping. It's partly because my craft room is an epic disaster and when they're in there it feels like they're going to knock everything over. I think the other reason is I'm just not used to creating around other people anymore. It's been forever since I stamped with anyone (6 years maybe?) and I pretty much can only think creatively in the quiet. Now, I have started letting my oldest use my nice stuff if he's by himself. I felt like supermom sharing my prisma pencils.

- Twelve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #1460  
Glitter Guru

This is my first house with a dedicated stamping area....sure wish I'd had one when the kids were little! So, back then my stamping/scrapbooking was done at the dining room table which in both houses was right in the center of life. It was survival strategy as much as a love of passing on the craftiness if you know what I mean
Your easel comment reminds me of a scene etched in my brain. My now 24yo DD had a little tykes easel and I remember her working on a painting or drawing saying over and over, "I am a very good artist." I decided that maybe I'd been using that phrase a bit too much with her, but I guess I'd rather err on the side of building up too much than the opposite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #1461  

LOL We get a lot of "Yay, you did it" comments. In fact, I just got one after I finished taking pictures of my cards.

I love having a space to myself, but it's not so private now that she can open doors! I've been mainly working during naps, when I wake up at 5am thanks to the time change, or after she's asleep. I do miss sneaking away while she plays with Jason, but I figure the years are short and I'll have years to use up the hoard I have.

You can see her "helping" me even with my picture taking. She does pick up each one after I finish and tell me what the stamps are and how pretty the card is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6590.jpg (33.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #1462  
Glitter Guru

I miss those sweet days. It felt so hard at the time, but each season has its challenges and blessings. It is so hard to stay "in the moment" as a mom. With home-schooling, I don't struggle as much with taking "me time" since I'm home with the kids 24-7. I also do some free reading during meals with them (unless DH is home cuz it drives him crazy). They get a lot of me and almost all of them are readers as well, so we don't mind a little isolation at lunch time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #1463  
Proud Fan Club Member

Cards are at the PO...taking the slow boat to Texas but I didn't figure there was a hurry other than to get them out of my house!

Now on to life inside my house again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #1464  

Quote:

I miss those sweet days. It felt so hard at the time, but each season has its challenges and blessings. It is so hard to stay "in the moment" as a mom. With home-schooling, I don't struggle as much with taking "me time" since I'm home with the kids 24-7. I also do some free reading during meals with them (unless DH is home cuz it drives him crazy). They get a lot of me and almost all of them are readers as well, so we don't mind a little isolation at lunch time!
I am finding this age to be difficult for me. She is in a "NO" and screaming phase and it is hard to have patience sometimes. I know it won't last forever, but there are days that I feel like I will lose my mind!

I have considered homeschooling, but I hear finding a secular curriculum is not easy. She seems to be into books as much as I am, so I hope that continues. I love my books as much as my stamps, maybe even a bit more.

And I apparently broke the website for a bit after uploading my cards. Go me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #1465  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

You can see her "helping" me even with my picture taking. She does pick up each one after I finish and tell me what the stamps are and how pretty the card is.
Aww I love hearing your sweet story of your little one helping you. Mine only helped on one card during the HYCCT challenges. I needed to make one last night for the Teapot Tuesday and when I showed it to my little guy between the distressing of the card and adding the layers he gave me the funniest look that gave me the indication he did not have faith the card would turn out. But once I added all the layers, he was WOWED. Then he admitted to me that he thought my card was going to look terrible. LOL - the shock on his face when I was done said it all, I did a great card by his standards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #1466  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I am finding this age to be difficult for me. She is in a "NO" and screaming phase and it is hard to have patience sometimes. I know it won't last forever, but there are days that I feel like I will lose my mind!

I have considered homeschooling, but I hear finding a secular curriculum is not easy. She seems to be into books as much as I am, so I hope that continues. I love my books as much as my stamps, maybe even a bit more.

And I apparently broke the website for a bit after uploading my cards. Go me!
As popular as homeschooling has become, I'm pretty sure there's something for everyone out there. I am homeschooling from a Christian world view perspective, so I wouldn't be of much help to you there, but I'm betting you'd find good choices. Some of the public schools offer home school curricula that might fit what you'd be looking for. Here's one site I found right off by googling secular homeschool.
*Patience is not a strong suit for me either but I've grown stronger over the years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #1467  
Glitter Guru

There are also great, literature-based curricula that you might like. Sonlightis a Christian one that revolves all the subjects around literature and Learning Language Arts Through Literature is a language curriculum.
Five in a Row is a sweet preschool literature based curriculum that I enjoyed using with my last few kiddos. Our library had a reference book called A to Zoo that listed good picture books by topic that was a good way to incorporate good books into whatever we were studying including science and history!

OK-back to your regularly scheduled HYCCT program.
DH knows that if someone asks me about homeschooling he should find something else to do because I'm going to be involved in talking for a while!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #1468  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

OK-back to your regularly scheduled HYCCT program.
DH knows that if someone asks me about homeschooling he should find something else to do because I'm going to be involved in talking for a while!

I've been waiting for someone to say...HIJACK...

Mine too!

I'll hijack just long enough to add...I think there might be a section on SCS that is about home education...but...I can't find it! That's typical for me...lost on SCS...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #1469  

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Lynn! Your cards are stunners! I love all the orange you used. I'm going to follow your lead and snap a group shot of mine too.
Thinking of whipping up a couple of OSW's to fill the box up more too.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #1470  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all! Finally got the last couple cards done last night and got everything uploaded. I can't believe how many queens there are already! Any word yet on how the card totals compare this year to last? (have not had a chance to read or chat, so maybe Lydia has mentioned already?)

I hope to spend some more time in the gallery over the next few days - there are so many great cards in there! And a big thank you to everyone who hosted a challenge or took time to comment in the gallery. You all rock!

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #1471  

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Everyone did an exceptional job this year! The Gallery looks amazing and the group shots of the completed cards are so beautiful & heartwarming.
THANK YOU to every host, every admin, sponsor and every participant! It's been a wonderful experience!
And a very special Thank You to those of you that took time to leave comments in the gallery. <3

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #1472  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramommaForums at Splitcoaststampers
I'll hijack just long enough to add...I think there might be a section on SCS that is about home education...but...I can't find it! That's typical for me...lost on SCS...

There is an Forums at Splitcoaststampers in the family section. I feel like there was something homeschool specific too, but I was never really involved in it if there was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #1473  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliotstampsForums at Splitcoaststampers
I can't believe how many queens there are already! Any word yet on how the card totals compare this year to last? (have not had a chance to read or chat, so maybe Lydia has mentioned already?)
As of right now (and there's always a big surge at the end) there are 65 replies in the queen thread compared to last year's 85.
We are at 3713 cards compared to last year's 4685.

The emphasis of course is on the joy of participating in the challenges and the encouragement the card drive will be to the patients and their families. Personally, it means so much to me to be able to do something when so much of the time I feel utterly helpless against this awful disease. It is also a great encouragement to use my hobby in a philanthropic way. (Not to mention using up some of the stash and the side benefit of learning new techniques!) We don't ever have a "real" count of the cards because so many people add extras from their stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #1474  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

As of right now (and there's always a big surge at the end) there are 65 replies in the queen thread compared to last year's 85.

The emphasis of course is on the joy of participating in the challenges and the encouragement the card drive will be to the patients and their families. Personally, it means so much to me to be able to do something when so much of the time I feel utterly helpless against this awful disease. It is also a great encouragement to use my hobby in a philanthropic way. (Not to mention using up some of the stash and the side benefit of learning new techniques!) We don't ever have a "real" count of the cards because so many people add extras from their stash.
BOY OH BOY, you took the words right out of my mouth with this post!! It feels good just to be able to help in some small way and give some encouragement and hope to these patients and their families! Just hope everyone is sending their cards in to add to the numbers. Not sure how many hospitals like this are in the US, but it would be nice to spread the LOVE around too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #1475  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

I agree completely. I very happy send a card hoping to bring a smile to someone. I told my DH I was putting no less than 100% effort in to each and every card because that is all I can do. This disease has taken too much from so many that I do not mind sharing my hard work and simple gesture to these families. I am honored to be a part of this effort. That is the biggest joy I can receive from this. I am so proud of the many that dedicated their time and efforts toward making these challenges, encouraged many with their cards and the number of cards and hours making them that each and every person provided. Like many I also did dulpicates and threw in cards that were not part of the HYCCT challenges just to have more to send so I am sure there are more cards that are unaccounted that so many of us sent. Thank you for letting me be a part of this effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #1476  

Quote:

The numbers are still amazing! I love participating in this for much of the same reason. I also do it to honor my grandmother who I miss so much. She didn't die of breast cancer, but she did have it at one point in her life. She was like a second mom to me and I cry every year as I think of her and mail my box of cards off. It is a true blessing to be able to make them.

And now I need a tissue. (My toddler wants to give every crying person a tissue, including random people in the stores. We have a lot of tissues in our house thank goodness.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #1477  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

It is official...I finished up all the HYCCT challenges...

Crown me Queen...and so glad we have left overs in the fridge tonight!!

Loved all the challenges...even the ones that made me squirm!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #1478  

All my cards are uploaded! Will tackle the Queen's thread after supper. They had spirit night for the school at Chuck E Cheese so I took the kids to play games, but no food! I don't know what they do to pizza in that place but burnt frozen pizza tastes better.

- Twelve
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #1479  
Glitter Guru

Their pizza is almost sweet...kid friendly must mean bland and sugary! My sister was telling me that way back when she and my BIL had no kids, they were on a trip somewhere and happened upon a Chuck E Cheese by mistake thinking it was a neighborhood pizza place! BLECH!

I'm glad people enjoyed the challenges, even the scary, step out of your comfort zone ones. For me the hardest one was the humor one because that's just not my zone! I was probably most pleased with my sweetly romantic one, and I'll for sure be using embossing paste more in the future! I even liked the cards using brighter warm tones that I made. Nothing like a good stretch!!!
I really enjoyed the cards for Bridget's heroes challenge because of all the beautiful back stories, and many other cards that people made very personal through stories and experiences they shared.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #1480  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 290 Likes on 134 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Their pizza is almost sweet...kid friendly must mean bland and sugary! My sister was telling me that way back when she and my BIL had no kids, they were on a trip somewhere and happened upon a Chuck E Cheese by mistake thinking it was a neighborhood pizza place! BLECH!
OMG I'm having a flashback!! LOL!

I wonder if that sweetness really appeals to the kids?

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes