Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Whose the smartest person here?

Well its not moi! I decided to try my hand at making little bags out of parchment paper as opposed to buying glassine and so I could also make to any size I want. So that was the easy part (so cute)...now I know why they use parchment paper for cooking........nothing sticks to it. Non stick is.... non stick:confused:

No matter the glue nothing will stick to this stuff. Before I throw in the towel any suggestions. I am sure I saw someone making parchment bags on line but thought I might save time by posting here. I am sure freezer paper would be the same thing and not a sheer for see through as parchment. Thanks for all and any suggestions.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the parchment paper, but a paper that will work great for making your own custom 'glassine' envelopes is deli wrap paper.

I learned this in an online class that I just took from Julie Fei-fan Balzer where she taught techniques using deli paper, one of which was how to make your own custom 'glassine' envelopes. There is so much that you can do with the deli paper (i.e. paint, stamping, monoprinting, mixed media etc.) - who knew?

You can find deli paper very reasonably priced on eBay and it comes in pretty big sizes and there is enough paper in one box to make a skillion glassine envelopes (ok, maybe only a zillion haha). Julie uses the Kabnet Wax paper made by Dixie (the same company that makes Dixie cups) because she likes the way various mediums work on it, but if you mainly want it to make glassine envelopes, I don't see why a different brand of deli paper wouldn't work. HTH

deli paper | eBay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can't find an adhesive to work on the parchment paper, perhaps you could find some tracing paper. I have some in a pad that I bought at an art supply store that looks like velum but a little thinner. You might even be able to find velum in larger sheets to work. I use to use large (24x30) sheets when drafting my engineering drawings a long time ago, so if you have a store that sells drafting supplies, you may be able to find some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Whose the smartest person here

Thanks for the tip on Deli paper suggestion. I might try to get a couple of sheets from one of our delis just to try.

I went on line and looked for the closest thing which is vellum and something I have. saw two tutorials that used scor tape (which won't stick to parchment) . I tried it and it looks like its the solution. for some reason I do prefer the look of the parchment over the vellum, perhaps I will try a thinner vellum. I also like the feel of the parchment paper over the vellum.

I am sure there is something like crazy glue that would work but not so good if I glue my fingers together.

I did find some glassine bags at Michaels today that is new, and they did not carry this in Arizona at any of the hobby stores over the winter while I was there. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Since you want to make bags versus envelopes, why not just stitch up the sides of the parchment paper to create your bags?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just want to say that I think it was reasonable to try the parchment paper. It would not have occurred to me that nonstick for food would mean nonstick for everything.

I think vellum would be a nice option and I remember years ago purchasing parchment paper not for baking but for printing resumes.

Southworth� Fine Parchment Paper | Staples�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim Holtz tiny attacher or sew up the sides
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'll have to experiment this afternoon! I've used red-liner tape to stick waxed paper very successfully, will try it on baking parchment later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Whose the smartest person here

[QUOTE=Cook22;20136516]I'll have to experiment this afternoon! I've used red-liner tape to stick waxed paper very successfully, will try it on baking parchment later.[/QUOTE
I already tried that...no success, tombow,even glossy accents. I might try wax paper just to see how it looks, or maybe freezer paper which may not have the opaque look I want.
I just like the look and "Krinkly" feel of the parchment lol. sewing is an option but going for a different look than that of sewing the seams. keep those suggestions coming, I really like my "Krinkly" bag. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel your pain! I have yet to find something to seal parchment..kinda gives a definite meaning to 'non-stick'! LOL The only thing I use is sewing or stapling or making an origami bag/envelope and clipping or stapling the top. Good luck to you and please let us know how you make out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I just couldn't let this challenge go by and I don't like being defeated, sooooo.... I did some experimenting with all the different dry and wet adhesives I have (and I have a lot). I did find one that will work with parchement paper. Guess what it is... The dollar store rolls of tape - the sookwang knock-off tape (I don't have enough sookwang to experiment with). I made a simple sleeve and adhered the edges together overlapped. I then tugged on the seam and it took quite a bit of tension to pull the seam apart. The trick is to burnish the tape down really well. Its really tricky to get the release strip off an I had to lift the tape up and get it to stick to my fingers first and lay it back down on the parchment, but once I got the strip of adhesive down and burnished, it held nicely. Now, I don't know how well this would work if you're making box bottom bags, but simple sleeve type bags wouldn't be too much work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Default whose the smartest person here?

Cat, you are a woman after my own heart...we can't resist a challenge.So I also experimented a little more. I found that freezer paper will work with sleeve type bags ( non gusset) and scor tape. However I also found that freezer paper is not as opaque as parchment and harder to see score lines (had to go over lines a second time).Even with the waxy inside it did work.I brayered over all my seams with all experiments for good adhesion as well.

Then I used wax paper which also sticks with scor tape, but did not like the end result.Its thinner than parchment and freezer, and even a light scoring tends to cut right through so would not be good for a cookie for example, as I dont think it would be strong enough.

So parchment and vellum are the nicest and easiest to work with, for scoring and overall appearance. Beckka Freekin has a good tutorial on making vellum pockets, and her style also works well and looks good. My vellum as mentioned before was a good thickness, so I am also going to try with a thinner vellum but not so thin it tears, will try on a scrap to see how it scores.

Humm very interersting on the sook wang scor tape at dollar store ( have one a block away) being better than the original. Also wonder about the quality of the parchment paper and was using Reynolds brand. Think I will run up to the store and buy cheaper parchment and see if they have that tape there.

Like I said, always up for a challenge. Best part is if it works and can do it with dollar store prices would be a bonus. ;-) Off to buy some parchment and scor tape ( fingers crossed).This has now become just a challenge more than a need to have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Whose the smartest person here?

Well I am also a slow learner... the light bulb went on after coming home from Dollar store. No luck there for fake scor tape, even bought a thinner parchment ( figured maybe not so non-stick.....not). Oh well ,I bake a lot of cookies for grands so all is not lost there.

Anyway I digress when the lightbulb moment came. When stumped for glue before I used a site called gluethistothat.com

What do you think I found out....... a glue specifically made for parchment paper........Pergamano Perga Glue used for Pergamano crafting! Okay so like I said slow learner ,but at least I solved the mystery. I think I know exactly who to call and its someone who used to do this type of craft, and is now a Scrapbook store owner. Stay tuned
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Humm very interersting on the sook wang scor tape at dollar store ( have one a block away) being better than the original. Also wonder about the quality of the parchment paper and was using Reynolds brand. Think I will run up to the store and buy cheaper parchment and see if they have that tape there.
Well, I'm not the smartest one here, so I'm going to ask questions. What is sook wang tape? I've never heard of it. And what kind of dollar store carries it? I have Dollar Tree, Dollar General and Family Dollar in my area. I can't imagine Doller Gen or Family Dollar carrying anything as exotic sounding as sook wang tape. The only tape I remember ever seeing in Dollar Tree is "regular Scotch tape" type and electricians tape.

Help make me a smarter person. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #15  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know where to get sook wang knock off. That is scor tape Dea a very sticky tape like red line tape but you can tear it. I need more and would love to get it for a dollar LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

What do you think I found out....... a glue specifically made for parchment paper........Pergamano Perga Glue used for Pergamano crafting! Okay so like I said slow learner ,but at least I solved the mystery. I think I know exactly who to call and its someone who used to do this type of craft, and is now a Scrapbook store owner. Stay tuned[/QUOTE]

Well of course!!! Why the heck didn't I think of that...I use it all the time for my parchment when I do Pergamano! Don't feel so bad...I was thick as a post too! Thanks for jarring my think tank!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
I want to know where to get sook wang knock off. That is scor tape Dea a very sticky tape like red line tape but you can tear it. I need more and would love to get it for a dollar LOL
The dollar store where I got mine is called Dollarama. I'm not sure if they are in your area, but you might want to google the store name to see if there's one close by...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Velluum

I constantly use the Zyron for attaching the vellum. No glue/tape/adhesive shown!!!!! Will try today the deli paper both kinds. You are right. Here on the WC we have 2 kids of paper so I'll try both types of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I have spent the last couple of days experimenting with Pergamano glue and the kitchen parchment that Canada Goose wanted to use. I regret to tell you that none of my items worked. They stayed together for a little while but with movement or putting stuff in or taking it out (small bags & envelopes) the glue just didn't hold. It was such a great idea that I thought there was a possibility but...no. So it's back to the old drawing board!! Guess I will just have to stick with sewing them. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay! What is Pergamano crafting? Never heard if it. AND What else in crafting can you use deli paper for? Guess I am not the smartest one here
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowlView Post
Okay! What is Pergamano crafting? Never heard if it. AND What else in crafting can you use deli paper for? Guess I am not the smartest one here
Sue
It is beautiful, normally stencil, work on parchment which texturizes the parchment and creates depth. Here are some examples - https://www.google.com/search?q=perg...w=1366&bih=650
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowlView Post
Sue
There's a basic tutorial here :
Parchment Craft Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

And we do have a gallery for it : Pergamano/Parchment Craft by ArtzadoniStudio at Splitcoaststampers
Not everyone remembers to upload to the appropriate gallery, but there are some gorgeous examples in there.
Reply With Quote Likes