Thread: Distress Ink
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
cobby
Stampin' Fool

@gkathy....you asked about which inks to use for which techniques. This is by no means a complete and authoritative explanation, but I can tell you the little I know that works and how I use them.

Pigment inks...stay wet longer so are good if you are going to heat emboss. Stamp your image in pigment ink, sprinkle on embossing powder in color of your choice, use a heat gun specifically made for embossing ( not a hairdryer )..and heat the powder until it "melts" and gets shiny and leaves a raised image.

Pigment inks can also give you better coverage if using a stamp with a lot of solid surface; to get a solid area of color to look "solid" and not splotchy.

Dye inks...most versatile, easiest to use. Dry quickly. I got into stamping by being introduced to the hobby at a Stampin' Up party and was a demo for a few years. Their dye inks are very nice quality but up until now have not worked very well ( for me ) on any CLEAR polymer stamps. On rubber...they rock! Memento inks are good also and seem to do well on both rubber and clear polymer.

Distress Inks...these are fun. They are a bit translucent, and they react with water so you can watercolor your images with them, or create some cool backgrounds. To really see what all you can do with them go to: timholtz.com and click on the video link and watch all the video tutorials out there. You can also go to YouTube, search under Tim Holtz and watch that way.

Solvent inks: one brand is StazOn...they have a chemical odor but are good for stamping on stone or glossy tiles to make coasters, or to use if you are going to be adding more ink on top of the first stamped image by way of a watercolor wash or something and you don't want your original stamped image to run or smear.