Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLORAL FROGS CAUSE CANCER??????

Hi everyone....in today's Ask Beate in the Weekly Inkling she talks about Floral Frogs and it reminded me of something. This is fairly bizarre, but it actually happened. I bought a floral frog like the one described by Leslie ( can't remember the brand name) at Michael's. When I got it home and opened it up I noticed a little disclaimer written on the packaging that said handling the product could cause cancer (or something like that....I can't remember exactly what it said). I have to say again, I KNOW this sounds completely crazy....but it's true. I returned it of course and I remember the girl behind the counter was just as mystified as I was.

Weird, I know.....but there you are!!!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That is really weird. I wonder what it is made of that they would put that kind of warning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get too freaked out. It was probably the warning that they require in California - some companies were putting it on everything they sold rather than miss putting it on something that needed it. That same warning tag was on my new Christmas tree lights last year and the Fiskars paper edgers I bought years ago.

What it's supposed to mean is that somewhere in the manufacturing process, some chemical or material was used that was linked to cancer. I choose to ignore it. I figure I'm much more likely be killed by the extra weight I'm carrying, or from the fact that I often drive too fast, than from touching my colored pencils.

Here's a little blurb about the warning from the Dick Blick site:

Additional Health Labeling: California Proposition 65

Quote:

California Proposition 65: The State of California requires clear and reasonable warnings on products and/or storage containers containing chemicals that have been shown to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Even if these products contain only trace levels of harmful chemicals, a warning is required by the State of California.

Manufacturers of certain products have included warnings pursuant to California Proposition 65, and caution is recommended when using products marked with the Prop 65 icon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Well, with California having made laws that are totally bizarre concerning cancer-causing ingredients and ingredients that cause reproductive harm, packaging often has this type of warning if that package is being sold in CA. Not all manufacturers make different packages for CA.

What's so bizarre is the way the regulations are written. They require such warnings as this (from any item sold that has an electric cord):
WARNING: Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't wash my hands after handling an electric cord. I figure since said cord has its lead connections encased in the plug or inside the appliance, that I'm safe to handle the cord. But that's the law! The warning is on appliances, computer equipment, sound equipment...everything with a cord.

Check out this one for cars:
WARNING: Motor vehicles contain fuel, oils and fluids, battery posts, terminals and related accessories which contain lead and lead compounds and other chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. These chemicals are found in vehicles, vehicle parts and accessories, both new and as replacements. When being serviced, these vehicles generate used oil, waste fluids, grease, fumes and particulates, all known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm.

What about when you cook with oil?
Or drink coffee?
Or beer?
Or eat chocolate?
Or use your electric sander?
Or your heat gun?
Or wear glasses?

All of these require a warning because they might contain any small amount of any of over 800 different substances that are on that state's list.

I know they had good intentions when they passed the law but it seems that it allows things to get out of control.

JMHO...
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Cheryl...you and I are on the same page! at the same time!

I usually ignore the prop 65 warning as well. I figure I recognize the dangers in pesticides and herbicides...and in handling lead with my bare hands...etc

They probably soldered your floral frog together with standard solder, which contains lead. But it is likely painted and all that is covered up.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 04-24-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Diane - Yep! I choose to believe that normal exposure to those things builds up my immunity to them. Totally non-scientific, but it helps me to sleep well at night.

Besides, I like to polish my fingernails and toenails - and the chemicals in those polishes and removers probably should have killed me (or caused me to grow a tail) years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wow....I'm sheltered in Canada.....(or not....lol)
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Well, with California having made laws that are totally bizarre concerning cancer-causing ingredients and ingredients that cause reproductive harm, packaging often has this type of warning if that package is being sold in CA. Not all manufacturers make different packages for CA.

What's so bizarre is the way the regulations are written. They require such warnings as this (from any item sold that has an electric cord):
WARNING: Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't wash my hands after handling an electric cord. I figure since said cord has its lead connections encased in the plug or inside the appliance, that I'm safe to handle the cord. But that's the law! The warning is on appliances, computer equipment, sound equipment...everything with a cord.

WARNING: Motor vehicles contain fuel, oils and fluids, battery posts, terminals and related accessories which contain lead and lead compounds and other chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. These chemicals are found in vehicles, vehicle parts and accessories, both new and as replacements. When being serviced, these vehicles generate used oil, waste fluids, grease, fumes and particulates, all known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm.

Or drink coffee?
Or beer?
Or eat chocolate?
Or your heat gun?
Or wear glasses?

All of these require a warning because they might contain any small amount of any of over 800 different substances that are on that state's list.

I know they had good intentions when they passed the law but it seems that it allows things to get out of control.

JMHO...
Love it, Fionna. And don't forget my all time favorite, the tag on pillows and mattresses that says so sternly "DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BWAHAHAHAHA!! I love that one! I remember asking my mom when I was a kid, WHO would know if I removed the tag? Her reply, which still cracks me up today bless her soul, was "well, you just never know when the pillow & mattress police will show up!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Love it, Fionna. And don't forget my all time favorite, the tag on pillows and mattresses that says so sternly "DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post

Or drink coffee?
Or beer?
Or eat chocolate?
Or your heat gun?
Or wear glasses?

JMHO...
Agreed on all counts! I still laugh every time I read the warning on my blow dryer: "Do not use while sleeping" - is that even possible? It's so reassuring to know that the legislators are saving us from ourselves...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was perplexed about that warning on hair dryers too, until I saw an episode of 'My Crazy Obsession', or 'Weird Addiction' or some show like that. A girl could not sleep unless she had her hair dryer on while she slept all night, right next to her...
:confused:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Agreed on all counts! I still laugh every time I read the warning on my blow dryer: "Do not use while sleeping" - is that even possible? It's so reassuring to know that the legislators are saving us from ourselves...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

The thing that really gets me is, those warnings come about because someone, somewhere DID try it, and when it was an epic fail, they tried filed a lawsuit because, you know, the company didn't WARN me that using my Dremel tool to file my toenails was a bad idea . . .

Like the kid's Superman costume with the warning: "Cape does not enable user to fly"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Yes - and the same warning is on my curling iron! Hot rollers, maybe I could understand. But a curling iron with a cord?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottyView Post
BWAHAHAHAHA!! I love that one! I remember asking my mom when I was a kid, WHO would know if I removed the tag? Her reply, which still cracks me up today bless her soul, was "well, you just never know when the pillow & mattress police will show up!"
I trust we all know that the final end consumer may remove the tags. The warning is to manufacturers and sales people. (I think it's because the tag has the fire warning on it...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I trust we all know that the final end consumer may remove the tags. The warning is to manufacturers and sales people. (I think it's because the tag has the fire warning on it...)
They've changed the wording. When I was just a wee one, the tag said "This tag not to be removed under penalty of law". And every home we visited, no matter how immaculately clean, had those goofy tags flapping around under the furniture

Now the wording says "not to be removed except by consumer". The thought of cutting them off still makes me cringe :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
The thought of cutting them off still makes me cringe :P
Yeah, I don't cut mine off either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I'm a fan of 'caution, contents are hot' on my coffee. Well if it isn't I'm taking it back!

So much is just legislating against stupidity and opportunistic lawyers. Of course tobacco and asbestos have shown that where a real risk exists money will find a way around the warnings anyway.

Last edited by KoffeeKat; 04-25-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

The same warning is posted for all china - I know everyone eats off of dishes. The warning is also posted on buildings at school. Not sure why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorism6220View Post
The same warning is posted for all china - I know everyone eats off of dishes. The warning is also posted on buildings at school. Not sure why.
My guess on this one is that some/many of the items that are used to either build the school or to keep it functioning (like mechanicals - furnaces, A/Cs, etc.) contain substances "known to the state of California to cause cancer", so they have to post it to follow the law.

My husband (a mason) worked with asbestos chimney flues and such for YEARS before anyone knew anything about the warnings. He's said repeatedly that it's only dangerous in powder form (like the dust that occurs when you cut it, for example). Of course, he's cut many an asbestos flue, and breathed in the resulting dust numerous times...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I think they may have to come and arrest me soon! I make pillows and cushions and what-have-you for a decorator's workroom, and I ALWAYS lop the tag off of the pillow form before I put it in the cover (otherwise, it makes an unsightly, wrinkly mess under an otherwise beautiful surface). I guess I'll just consider that I'm close enough to the "consumer" end of things, and I'm saving the real consumer from being criminal

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

The thing that really gets me is, those warnings come about because someone, somewhere DID try it, and when it was an epic fail, they tried filed a lawsuit because, you know, the company didn't WARN me that using my Dremel tool to file my toenails was a bad idea . . .

Like the kid's Superman costume with the warning: "Cape does not enable user to fly"
You are so right - the sad thing is that our lawsuit happy society seems to have been absolved of the "common sense" requirement when using products. The creepiest warning for me:

Not to be used internally - on a curling iron package! Seriously, what idiot tried that to necessitate that warning?

The "No-Sh*t Sherlock" warning:

Caution - product will become hot when plugged in - on a hair straightener!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #22  
Vintage Vixen

I have one of those Michaels floral frogs on my desk right now, not 12 inches from me. Since it was "made in China," my guess is that the green paint has lead in it.

I think I'll give it a good lick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post
I have one of those Michaels floral frogs on my desk right now, not 12 inches from me. Since it was "made in China," my guess is that the green paint has lead in it.

This made me laugh!

I have some old ones that are probably even worse for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I love this thread. I'm so glad Australia isn't as litigeous, although it's getting that way. I can't believe that there's a warning not to use a curling iron internally. I mean doesn't everyone? (HaHaHa!) I needed a good laugh, thanks very much ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Very entertaining post, but a sad commentary on our society...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I suppose if you ate it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile frogs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jana ZView Post
This made me laugh!

I have some old ones that are probably even worse for me!
I have some that are older than me and I am heading toward 70 that were my mothers. She didn't get a strange disease and neither have I or my siblings.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

My favorite warning is on sleep aids -- over the counter & prescription: May cause drowsiness -- really???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

My favorite graffiti is ... saliva causes cancer only when swallowed in small doses

Let's see them put a warning label on that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you all for a great laugh after a hard day!! Love all you crafty ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #31  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
My favorite graffiti is ... saliva causes cancer only when swallowed in small doses

Let's see them put a warning label on that!!
No more French kissing, I guess. :? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post

Thanks for the HUGE laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Back to that floral frog: I suspect it contains lead to give weight to the frog, or perhaps lead in the paint. So no chewing on your metal frog and no drinking vase water that the frog has sat in!

The warning gets the distributor off the legal hook, but it would be nice if someone would go the source in China or wherever it is made and get them to cease using the bad material.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

Quote:

They've changed the wording. When I was just a wee one, the tag said "This tag not to be removed under penalty of law". And every home we visited, no matter how immaculately clean, had those goofy tags flapping around under the furniture

Now the wording says "not to be removed except by consumer". The thought of cutting them off still makes me cringe :P
I was such a gullible naive child. One day, in the midst of wrestling about & pillow-fighting, I accidentally yanked one of those tags off (it was loose already). My brother put on a very convincing act of being oh-so-upset & concerned for me -- that I was going to be in the most horrible trouble for removing that tag and would surely be taken away to a "childrens prison" because I broke the law!

He had me in tears & it took a while for my dad to convince me that it was OK & no one would care that the tag got torn off. (I was about 5 or 6, I think & my brother did love to take advantage of the fact that I'd believe *anything*...)
It was so funny, looking back on it - I truly believed I'd be in serious trouble - after all, the tag SAID you'd be penalized under the law for removing it! LOL!

And yeah - I saw that show where the woman would SLEEP with her blowdryer running beside her all night! Scary! Didn't she start a fire once, for doing that? And then she was teaching her daughter to do the same thing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Back to that floral frog: I suspect it contains lead to give weight to the frog, or perhaps lead in the paint. So no chewing on your metal frog and no drinking vase water that the frog has sat in!

The warning gets the distributor off the legal hook, but it would be nice if someone would go the source in China or wherever it is made and get them to cease using the bad material.
lol, good luck with that!! It wouldn't be as cheap then!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

OK I must be a dummy... What is a floral frog?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

never mind, I went on line and looked it up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Gizmo at bottom for anybody else who wants to know

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Loved thread! Where is the common sense ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by winsrellaView Post
Loved thread! Where is the common sense ?
"Common sense" is an oxymoron - not so common anymore! "Common courtesy", same scenario, sadly...

A sign that has had me shaking my head for years now was at the end of an onramp on a highway in a very hilly part of Virginia: "No left turn" - really? Who tried THAT?!?!

Reply With Quote Likes