Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Demise of Punches

Just been weeding a few of my punches and updating my long neglected inventory list. I was surprised I had bought 6 in the past two years. Dies have taken over my interest, and the punches are sitting so neglected. I still see a lot of display space at the craft stores being devoted to punches. Are people really buying them? While I realize it's a neat craft tool for a kid and someone starting out, is there really much interest in them anymore?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been stamping/scrapping for years and while I have an original sizzix with a lot of dies and a pazzles electronic die cutter, I do like my punches. For me there is nothing like grabbing a punch when I need a fast embellishment. It is better than getting out either of the machines and digging thru dies or software to find the perfect diecut. And my creative thoughts don't get interrupted. If I'm planning out my card or page before I start to actually create, I get out one of the machines and make a diecut, but that's the only time I actually use them. I have been known to just make an extra diecut or two for later, though, like a fence or tree and file them away in my diecut binder.

Another thing I do is when I have scraps left over that are too small for a card front, I use my punches on them and file them away also. I figure they will get used by either my children or I sometime. It's better than throwing away the whole scrap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug and quite a few dies and like using them.

However, if you are making multiples of one design, it takes a long long time to run the die through the machine all those times to make say, an oval or a scalloped circle for 20 cards, one pass at a time.

That's when a punch can be a lifesaver, you can punch out 20 of the 2" scalloped circles in nothing flat.

I also have quite a few flower punches that I use a lot for embellishments, and butterflies, too.

I also like the Martha Stewart fancy border punches for my cards.

Keep in mind also, that the folks here at SCS are mostly up on the latest technology and many have one or even two die cutting machines.

Many people who like to make cards, craft, etc. don't take it as seriously as some folks here do. They would be appalled at the idea of spending $100 for a machine that you use to cut shapes with. They probably love buying a punch.

So, I think punches will stay around.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bunch of dies and a box full of embossing folders that I rely on fairly regularly. Punches, however... there are probably about 10-12 that I rely on all the time. Most of them are the label punches from SU. But I have a long shelf of just Martha Stewart, another long shelf of just Creative Memories, and the bulk of the SU punches.
I would say most of my punches relate to my stamps, in that greetings fit inside, or stamps and punches go together. Still getting into more border punches, too. They are so handy for cards.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Oh, I'm not getting rid of my punches any time soon. Sometimes it's so much easier to use a punch than cut with a die, especially for multiples. I've purged a few but not all that many. I frequently use my circle punches, foliage punches, corner punches and border punches. Less often tags and fancy shapes, but just over the weekend I used one of my two sun punches. Yes, they take up more space, but I'm happy to have them.

And I would be tempted to buy more, except that the weight adds to shipping costs, so it would have to be something really worth it! I try not to look at them when I'm building a shopping cart, unless I've come across a shape I need to fill a blank in my collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I agree with Crrimal. After using punches (only thing available), I went down the die cut road, but now find myself grabbing a punch or wishing I had a punch that looks like the die. So much easier to grab a punch. I punch edges a lot, since I create a lot of handmade mini albums. If I think about it, I'm probably 70/30 in use of punches vs. dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

There's room in my heart (and shelf) for both!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I use my punches every day and still buy new ones. Can't beat them for ease and versatility.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I find that my punches are almost completely unused now. I have a huge rack of them, but I lean in favor of my Big Shot and dies nearly every time. I love the super clean edge that die cutting gives. I use my Big Shot for just about everything I make any more. I've tried to sell off most of my punch collection, but have had trouble finding buyers, even if I price them very low.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Maybe I need to keep reminding myself the punches are waiting to be used. Why a straight edge, when there are so many border punch options? I guess one reason I turned against punches is that a bit of arthritis makes punching a nuisance. And those Punch around the Page sets! Whew, so easy to make one false move and ruin the rectangle. I just don't see myself buying and new punches down the road.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Cricut, several die cutting machines but still buy/use punches. It is just faster and easier to grab a punch sometimes especially if I am trying out a card sketch.

Wish I had a punch that cut tiny leaves to put on a small tree die I purchased. It only came with 1 die that cut the leaves-had to run it through the die cutter about 20 times to get enough leaves.

Think dies and punches each have their strong points. Love both and have too many of both!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have using punches more and more for my cards, thanks to Kittie Caracciolo "Kitties Kraft". Many punch companies and now dies should be giving her a kick back,lol. I will keep my punches for a long time. I have gotten rid of many of my spellbinders but never ovals, they are my go to.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I take care of the punch "pains" to my wrist by using my PunchPal. It was a tool that came out years ago to help punch those old big thick punches like Marvy ones. That was before EK Success revolutionized them to be easier to punch through paper.
Anyhow, I still use my PunchPal regularly. It has a lever-type bar that allows you to press down on the punch without much pressure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both and use both. In the past couple of months I have bought both. Like people have said, they each have their strengths. There's a lot to be said for being able to just grab a punch and quickly punch out a bunch of the same thing. Or quickly do the corners of something. Although you have to be careful with punches - there are a lot of poor quality punches out there. I've been disappointed a few times by a punch that either didn't work consistently or didn't work very cleanly. Right now I'm on a corner mania - I'd like to find some good quality punches to make corners more interesting. But I don't know which brand is best. I see MS and Fiskars punches that look interesting, and then read bad reviews of them on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

With dies you can cut bigger shapes, and it's much less expensive to have multiple nesting sizes of dies than the same number of punches. You can also get much more intricate shapes to work with dies than you can with punches.

That being said, I prefer working with punches. Quicker to line up an image and punch it out, quicker to punch multiples of the same shape, and more portable. I don't see myself getting rid of the punches I have - and I just got myself a new Fiskars hexagon squeeze punch this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have both and use both. In the past couple of months I have bought both. Like people have said, they each have their strengths. There's a lot to be said for being able to just grab a punch and quickly punch out a bunch of the same thing. Or quickly do the corners of something. Although you have to be careful with punches - there are a lot of poor quality punches out there. I've been disappointed a few times by a punch that either didn't work consistently or didn't work very cleanly. Right now I'm on a corner mania - I'd like to find some good quality punches to make corners more interesting. But I don't know which brand is best. I see MS and Fiskars punches that look interesting, and then read bad reviews of them on Amazon.

Rachel, I don't have any MS punches (not available here, too costly in shipping) but I do have two Fiskars corner punches (the ones that do three different corners) and two border punches. So long as you don't try using them on heavy card, they work fine. I'd say I've had them heading for ten years now, though I admit they don't get heavy use.
I know you don't use a lot of DP, but something the weight of Basic Grey is fine. Bazzill, no.
There are three slightly decorative Corner Chompers from WRMK and if they're anything like the plain ones, they'll punch through anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a handful of the large punches, but a huge basket full of the small/tiny punches. I use them a lot. I don't have a machine yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the reviews I'm reading about the Fiskars is that they only go easily through lighter CS. I use SU CS some of the time, but also quite a bit of PTI and Gina K. I'd say half of my collection of CS is not SU and it's the half I have to replenish far more often. I couldn't live without SU Whisper White and Very Vanilla - but I am using the other colors less and less, with a few exceptions.

I just got the plain Corner Chomper from WRMK and it I am impressed with it. It does punch through really thick things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Rachel - I have a couple of the other shapes of Corner Chompers and can verify that they cut just as well thru double layers of heavy (Gina K Baseweight) cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Count me as another who continues to use punches. Buying new ones is another matter. And, while I don't buy a bunch of new styles, I do buy to replace the ones I have. After all, if I'm wearing them out, I'm using 'em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Love, love, love my punches! I have dies, nestibilities, & edgelits. I love them too, but I love the ease of punches and still use the heck out of mine.

I like the edge punches from SU and use them all the time. Edgelits on the other hand ( IMHO ) are a pain in the keister to use! I am edgelit challenged!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 04-24-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug, Big Kick and lots of dies, but still use my punches a lot, especially border punches and smaller circles. It's so much easier to grab the circle punch to cut a circle instead of getting out the Nesties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Another punch lover here! I have dies as well and, as others have said, they each have their benefits.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Even though I have an Accucut die cutter and a Cricut (which I seldom use), I love using punches, too. I like punches for small embellishments... Even though I can cut through several layers of CS at one time with my machine, I still think that using the diecutter to cut out tiny leaves is just a big pain ... punches do the job better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Default Punches & dies

I also have a lot of punches and dies as well. I like the punches for the ease & quickness. (Not having to get the machine out, and making the sandwich stack,etc.) I have actually been on a punch (buying) kick lately!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

It has been interesting to read how many of you think of your punches as your 'go to' tools. Somewhere along the line I got out of that mode. Now, when I want a shape my mind automatically thinks "Dies!" and that process, never punches. It seems like a rare card that does not have something on it cut with my Vagabond. I'm not sure what produced that change...perhaps my eagerness to have something electric do my work for me. Although I have a gizmo to help with pressing punches, it doesn't work with all handles and it rarely seems to come to my mind to make use of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

I've tried to get more punches because I love how quick they are to use. They would be my go to if I had more.

But when a single shape ends up from $10 to over $30 I can't justify the cost when dies will give me 5 sizes for the same price. And after my first border punch was a dud after importing it, I got put off them.

I have an electronic cutter which is the most versatile but also the most time consuming. It can be difficult to get consistently clean cuts for fine details too as the paper affects the settings. Consequently it is usually my last choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
I have an electronic cutter which is the most versatile but also the most time consuming. It can be difficult to get consistently clean cuts for fine details too as the paper affects the settings. Consequently it is usually my last choice.
I have a cricut and a few cartridges but every time I want to use it, I have to re-"teach" myself how to use the machine!! I do not know what I will do when my teen heads off to university in the fall. She helps me use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I use both a lot but punches are faster when I'm making lots of swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You can count me as another who loves both my punches and my dies. I think I'll continue to use - and buy - both. I like punches for small shapes and borders, and dies for larger shapes. Multiple options are nice to have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
It has been interesting to read how many of you think of your punches as your 'go to' tools. Somewhere along the line I got out of that mode. Now, when I want a shape my mind automatically thinks "Dies!" and that process, never punches. It seems like a rare card that does not have something on it cut with my Vagabond. I'm not sure what produced that change...perhaps my eagerness to have something electric do my work for me. Although I have a gizmo to help with pressing punches, it doesn't work with all handles and it rarely seems to come to my mind to make use of it.
I can identify, my punches sit in a drawer and never get used!

My dies with my Vagabond or Cuttlebug get used ALL the time! And, if I need multiples for cards, I have a Cricut E2 which lets me cut multiples easy as pie, with the push of a button, so I've gotten lazy and my hands appreciate it at my age!

It's nice though for the companies that we are versatile and like different things, because it keeps them in business. I notice on HSN, how many punches are shown when they have their "craft day" and how quickly they sell. To each her own preference with what works, huh???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I personally prefer PUNCHES over dies just because it is way quicker to use a punch instead of pulling out the Big Shot and running paper/die through it. If I could afford it I would go with dies, it just seems that some dies are waay expensive. The nesting dies are more affordable, but time consuming in my opinion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #33  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm another who has, uses and likes both. Depending on what I am doing, sometimes one is better than the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

Default Re-purpose scissors for corner punches

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Rachael I have used scissors to cut corners for sometime now and find them just as good and cheaper than buying expensive punches. I made up this little demo sheet to show you 10 different designs. It is best to use symetrical designs and you can use either side of the scissors. That means turn the scissors over and use the up for the down. I cut the corner then cut the bottom of the sample piece to show you what the scissor design was it came from. From left to right the scissor names are: bubble,arabian,sunflower,PS 34-0011,hem,seagull, PS 34-0008,bat wing, provencial and reverse brack.I think this idea will give your cards more flare. I hope so.

Imagination is more important that knowledge. A.E.
Demise of Punches-cornercuts1.jpg

Demise of Punches-cornercuts2.jpg

Demise of Punches-cornercuts3.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do like punches for their speed - but I'd really rather use either a die or my cameo. Most of the edge punches I have/love are MS designs. I have such a love/hate relationship with those. WHY MARTHA? Why can't you size your designs and corners to fit a standard sized card??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of the people here are serious crafters or intend to end up that way. A lot of people who are not so serious love punches for the odd project here and there. I see many people on Pinterest using them for projects. The type of I-do-it-myself blogger who posts equally about baking, gardening, making her kids lunches look like hand puppets, making an old t-shirt into a scarf, painting her nails to look like zebra stripes, making a bracelet out of soda bottle tops and building a desk from packing crates are in love with punches to make stationery, gift tags, labels and cards but might not have a die cutter. (PS: though I find such bloggers amusing, they also rock, some awesome ideas spring from such minds!!)
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

I love what you did with your scissors!!! I have a collection of the Fiskars Corner Edger scissors that I use that way -- now you've got me wanting to expand my collection of 'regular' decorative scissors! :p

On topic - I love punches -- I have more border punches than anything else right now, but I use all my punches fairly regularly.

I don't think using any one tool over another makes one any less of a "serious" crafter. Not everyone can *afford* to spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on craft supplies. If you're running a business w/ your crafting, fine - but for those who are not selling or otherwise making a regular income from their crafting, we can't always buy every one of the new "hot" gadgets - whether we would like to have them or not.

For example - believe it or not - I'm still on the fence about whether I want to get a Big Shot or not. Most of the things I'd want to cut would be frames/"labels" for layers - I love some of the dimensional items, but the dies are so costly & many of the ones I really like are for the Big Shot Pro anyway. Realistically, as cool as they are, I don't think I would actually use them enough to justify the cost... so for now, I'm doing frames/corners/edges/etc with either my punches or cutters, and it's working fine for me. I think as far as die-cutting, vinyl wall art is what I REALLY want to do a good amount of, so I'm probably going to end up with a Cameo when/if I get a machine - still trying to decide. I just want to be sure I would really USE a machine often enough, before tossing the money onto it. I don't want to be one of you who, six months from now, says, "I've got (such-and-such) and it mostly just sits there unused..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by misschameleonView Post
Rachael I have used scissors to cut corners for sometime now and find them just as good and cheaper than buying expensive punches. I made up this little demo sheet to show you 10 different designs. It is best to use symetrical designs and you can use either side of the scissors. That means turn the scissors over and use the up for the down. I cut the corner then cut the bottom of the sample piece to show you what the scissor design was it came from. From left to right the scissor names are: bubble,arabian,sunflower,PS 34-0011,hem,seagull, PS 34-0008,bat wing, provencial and reverse brack.I think this idea will give your cards more flare. I hope so.

Imagination is more important that knowledge. A.E.
Attachment 273267

Attachment 273268

Attachment 273269
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

I find dies much more cost effective than punches these days. When I first got the CB the dies (especially Sizzix which most of my dies were) cost more than most large punches for one shape. Now, thanks to the thinner dies, I can pick up 5 or 6 sizes of a shape postage included, for less than one large punch without postage.

The dies also took up a lot of room. Now 2 whole sets can fit in a CD hanging folder a few millimetres thick.

I think the thing we use most also depends on our space. If you have to clear a space every time you want to use your die cutter, punches are probably easier. I'm lucky enough to have my bug and my KNK on the bench at all times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Count me in the "both" column. Punches are especially good for multiples, for using up little scraps, even to make confetti, and if you stamp first it's much easier to line up a punch over the stamp than it is a die (both are doable, I just find the punch easier). I guess just like lightweight and heavyweight cardstock - they both have uses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think my biggest issue with punches is that the majority of them won't go thru cardstock. I've already broken one ms one. Thankfully they replaced it but now I'm quite wary about using them on anything other than paper. I know with a die it will definitely cut!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes