Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Whither stamping, Joann?

Or maybe it's stamping withers at Joann.

I stopped in at a Joann store that opened a few weeks ago to replace a small older store. Supposedly a bigger and better store? This is the third visit there, and I have yet to find a thing to purchase. Bigger is not always better. I counted their assortment of wood mount stamps: 73. Clear stamp sets: all of 3! Somebody high up has decided we only scrap, I guess. Well, I guess I buy only from online vendors.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I buy online and from SU, nothing of any worth in my stores. We have a newer Joann's and I've never bought a single stamp or stamp set from them even at their old location. I think of them as being primarily for fabrics and cheapy home dec stuff. And forget needlework except for lower quality knitting yarns.The Joann's in the next town is even worse, I wander through it every couple of months and nothing ever catches my interest. At least I'm saving money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have to go there often to get thread (I sew for a living), but seldom buy anything except adhesive in their stamping/scrapping department, and then only if it's on sale or I have a coupon. I've noticed that they're carrying less and less there - stamps and tools. They used to have a fairly impressive collection of EK Success punches - now only the really large ones that make double-sided borders. Direct sales (SU!, CTMH, A Muse) or online is more and more becoming the only way to find anything worthwhile...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

This is interesting. Mine just added a pretty healthy-sized assortment of the InkaDinkaDoo Stamping Gear tools and stamps; they have a medium-ish selection of Spellbinders, and tons of Fiskars punches. The wooden stamp selection is definitely iffy (same stuff they've had for years), but they've also got not a bad selection of ink pads, markers and the like. One thing that is really, really decimated is the Cuttlebug area. Hardly any folders left there.

I don't really buy much there anymore, because I think I own half the store, but their selection really isn't that bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is pretty well stocked, as are the 2 Michael's I live in between. Not that I always find what I am looking for at either. But there isn't a whole lot of newer things I want or need. Online there are lots of things!

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should mention this! I was in my local Joann (a very tiny one!) and the manager and I were talking about paper crafting. He said that Joann was planning on shrinking the paper crafts section and implied that the yarn section would be increasing since sales are much better. I guess knitting and crocheting the hot thing now and they want to satisfy demand. Boo! I really like to spend my money locally,but it looks like more internet shopping for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I've noticed the three in my area do not have as much as they used to. The wooden stamps are always the same boring things. The sticker and embellishment selection they have is horrible - most are very drab and unimaginative. They do have a nice selection of paper packs, though, and I do like looking at their $1 paper-crafting bin. I found several sheets of half pearls in it. The Hobby Lobby's in my area aren't much better. They have a very small section of punches, but a bigger selection of stickers and rub-ons. And they carry House Mouse stamps (found some in their clearance bin last friday for cheap). And I just can't stand the attitude of the Michael's people, so I stay away from them like the plague. I've cased every store now so I know who has what, that way when I need something, I don't have to chase it down going from store to store. I've started to shop online more, I'm finding I like the digi stamps more b/c there are no size limitations. Sometimes the shipping is just too much, so I will wait for free shipping if I need it. I've also noticed Joann's online has way more than the stores do. Wonder if that's the wave of the future? I really do prefer the brick and mortar stores to online shopping.

Christi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Yep, I use Joann's online. I don't have to go to the store, I wait for sales AND coupons, and don't have to get frustrated over the limited selection. Last purchase was a couple of spellbinders dies for 50 percent off!

Like Sue, I go there for my thread.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Interesting thread. It goes along with an "interesting" change made to the annual scrapbook convention that comes to our area.

The "Great American Scrapbook Convention (aka GASC)" is now a COMBO of Scrapbooking, Sewing, and Beading! It's now called "Stitch Craft Create Live!" convention. Vendors supporting the 3 different craft genres are scheduled.

I'm looking forward to it just to see what "the other side" (LOL!) is passionate about, but a little on the concerned side because I don't want the scrapbooking/stamping side of it diminished!! I guess based on the previous threads, I'm suprised it's not scrapbooking, sewing, beading and knitting too!! ;)
My Blog --> Everlasting Ink
I design for Heartfelt Creations
My Pinterest boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Let's see, I haven't been to Joann's in a month or so, they just don't carry that much anymore. I mostly go for the Sulky thread when it's on sale and always look in the dollar bins. One of the Joann's quit carrying Spellbinders, the other one, the stoe personnel are just plain rude, so I don't shop there anymore. Michaels, is about the same, with them switching over to carry most of their own brand. Lately when I go to Michaels, I end up disgusted, or getting the Toob toys for the DGS.
I am very lucky to have an LSS in town where the owner, you could say, caters to me. I have access to her vendor, so if I'm looking for something, I go there, send her the link to what I'd like, and she orders it for me. The only problem with this, is that sometimes it takes the vendor awhile to get the new items in stock. I make samples and do classes for her, I don't take a fee, but I do get free product and a 30% discount all the time. I have enabled her, as she enables me! It's a good relationship.
We also have 2 Beverly's stores nearby, I go in there every once in awhile, but pretty much only get c/s or fabric, their prices are high.
Every once in awhile the DH will get stuff for me via Amazon.

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am actually quite happy with our Joann's lately - although it is a really big one (it is actually attached to the corporate headquarters). They started carrying the Spellbinder's Media Mixage line, some Basic Grey (but no stamps), a new line by Kathy Davis (I know this from the flyer they just sent me, LOL), and when I was there on Saturday they had just put out some stuff from Hero Arts, including clear stamps, embellishments, notecards, envelopes and a few shadow inks- I was SO excited to be able to buy Bubble Gum and Raspberry Jam Shadow inks on sale without having to pay shipping I almost cried. I don't look at stickers or most of the scrapbooking stuff, they have a decent selection of punches and dies but I don't like how they're not all together so I don't look at them very often. Cuttlebug stuff has been decreased A LOT recently. I am very happy with the Tim Holtz stuff they have now - even some of the seasonal shades of distress inks, the Rock Candy dry distress stickles, his mirror cardstock stuff, and a 3 pack of the metallic stains. I think I mentioned most of the stuff on my wish list.... LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I went to my Joann's recently and was surprised to see some new Cuttlebug folders. They are larger and sold with a border. They had some other new stuff too.
Reply With Quote Likes