Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ott lights

Does anyone use an ott light? I want to start practicing my copic coloring in the evenings while we are watching t.v but our lights are so dim. If you have one what kind is it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I have one that sits on the desk, but if I ever get another one, I'd get the floor stand. You won't believe how REALLY dim your lights are. I always thought I had plenty of light until I got the OTT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked into one and from what I can understand, you can achieve the same lighting using a "daylight" bulb bought at almost any store. Just buy one with the highest wattage you can find and use it in any lamp. Many of the OTT bulbs are 18 watts and I'm told there's quite a bit of difference between their 18 and 34 watt, so if you go for the OTT you may want to check on the wattage. The 34W is of course, more expensive.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
I looked into one and from what I can understand, you can achieve the same lighting using a "daylight" bulb bought at almost any store. Just buy one with the highest wattage you can find and use it in any lamp. Many of the OTT bulbs are 18 watts and I'm told there's quite a bit of difference between their 18 and 34 watt, so if you go for the OTT you may want to check on the wattage. The 34W is of course, more expensive.
Mob
My daylight lamp's bulb is nothing like a regular lamp bulb...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

SkyNacho,
I agree, the daylight bulb with a high wattage is nothing like a regular lamp bulb...it's so much better. What I was trying to say is that IMO it's like having an OTT light, but using your own lamp bases, so it costs less.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 2 OTT lights and I'm not impressed as they are not that bright. I would need to have them right down on the desk where I work to get enough light. The big draw for OTT lights is color matching and to be honest, IMHO, I can match colors without it. Also, the cost of the bulbs are expensive so if you really want to try it, get a daylight bulb so if you don't like it, you are not out the cost of the lamp. In my area it's often hard to find the OTT replacement bulbs so I also have to pay for shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I have 2 OTT lights and I'm not impressed as they are not that bright. I would need to have them right down on the desk where I work to get enough light. The big draw for OTT lights is color matching and to be honest, IMHO, I can match colors without it. Also, the cost of the bulbs are expensive so if you really want to try it, get a daylight bulb so if you don't like it, you are not out the cost of the lamp. In my area it's often hard to find the OTT replacement bulbs so I also have to pay for shipping.
I'm so glad to hear you say you are not impressed with the Ott lights. I got a small desk top model when I first started stamping because everyone raved about the Ott lights. You are right - it's not very bright, and they are really expensive, both the lamps and the bulbs.

I found a floor model daylight spectrum lamp with a gooseneck at Big Lots a couple of years ago for about $30, and it came with 2 free bulbs. It is great to work with, and I am still using the first bulb that came with it.

I say folks should shop around for crafting lights. They frequently have them at the discount outlets, or Lowes or Home Depot on sale.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I still stand by my desk sized OTT, but now I may have to think twice about the type of lamp I get for the floor model. I really need the bright light to do fine work and coloring, so with your suggestions, I am going to look into daylight bulbs before I get another OTT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Default OTT vs. Daylight bulbs

I bought my high watt daylight bulbs at Lowe's. I don't have any trouble with color matching. I have a few lights in my crafting area and the one I like best is an old clamp on that can extend and move. I just pull it to where i need it. Any gooseneck type would be similar.

The daylight bulbs aren't as costly as OTT, so I think its worth giving it a try.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Another vote for the daylight bulb. I have an Ott, a desktop model; the section holding the bulb lifts up and it automatically comes on. However, because of the raised section, the light is glaring right in my face. So I never use it anymore. I have 2 gooseneck lamps on my desk, each with daylight bulbs, and I can't believe how much better the light is. I wouldn't waste my money on an Ott.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an ott light. I like it fine, but right now I'm using it as a grow light for my tomato plants since the lightbulb is daylight spectrum light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Smile OTT Light

I have had an OTT light for about 3 years. It is the goose neck (24W) with the two extra arms, one for holding a pattern, etc. and a magnifying glass. I just can't work without it. It is great for card making and also sewing as I can position it right in front of my sewing machine. They are a little pricey but I use it frequently (like daily) and have yet to buy a new bulb. I was thinking about getting another one (24 Watt) but I think I will also look into the daylight bulbs and put it into another floor lamp that I have. If that doesn't work I can always go and buy another Ott lamp....I am sold on them as my eyesight isn't real good anymore. My hubby frequently uses it also... great for taking out slivers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a portable battery operated OTT light that I take to stamping weekends because we never have enought light at night. I do have an OTT floor lamp in Craftyland but end up stamping downstairs at the kitchen table. I bought all my lamps with coupons at the big box stores or when Joann's had them at 50% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandmwilsonView Post
Does anyone use an ott light? I want to start practicing my copic coloring in the evenings while we are watching t.v but our lights are so dim. If you have one what kind is it?
I recommend going to OOT lights con and reading the negative reviews. Expensive, parts hard to replace, etc. I had one and couldn't get the parts for it when it quit. No more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I have 2 older Ott rechargeable/AC lamps. I am not that impressed with them either. Neither holds the charge so they both HAVE to be plugged in at all times. The plugs are HUGE! Just one takes up the whole outlet. They are not very bright at all, so they both have to be on at the same time, one on each side of my project. Several YEARS ago Walmart carried a desk lamp that was touch control. It was a "daylight" light I believe and I believe that it was made by "lights of America" I think. It really reminded me of what an OTT looked like and I wondered if it was a "generic." Well, this lamp is WAY more bright and "white" and I love it! I have NEVER been able to find another one b/c Walmart stopped carrying them. It does have a rather large base so it is not conducive to my small work table but it is in my "space."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have never tried a "daylight" bulb, so I can't compare it to the Ott light. I have a desk Ott that comes on when opened. I was never impressed with it. It was hard to position where I wanted it and I didn't like having to 'open' every time, especially when it started loosening. It would fall shut! Having said that, I got a floor model last year for my BD. I have it positioned right where I need it and it is great! The only thing I don't like it the type of off/on switch it has. It can be difficult to 'twist' on or off. The lighting, however, is fantastic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I use the Ott lite 24W floor lamp and really like it. I did try a table top model and found it didn't offer enough light unless you were working right underneath it.

I agree that that bulbs are becoming harder to come by. My local M's doesn't always have the replacement bulbs as they seem to have changed to a different shape of bulb. Plus they are about $20 CDN (with a 50% off coupon). Thankfully, I have only had to replace one bulb in the 4 or so years I have had it.

I need to get another lamp and I think I will look for something cheaper and try the daylight bulb this time.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Buggainok, I happen to agree with you. In fact it sounds like a message I would have posted. I bought the small desk top model I rarely use and the same floor lamp at Big Lots years ago, I mean years ago and the first bulb still works. I find I need the light more for matching color tones especially in the evening. Without it, I wouldn't even bother choosing papers.
Helene

Last edited by ladyhawke; 04-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: thought I was addressing this to a specific member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I have both Ott lights and daylight bulbs. The light is the same as far as I can tell. I like both, although getting the daylight bulbs are much cheaper. The only drawback is the heat they both put out. I can only work so long before I have to turn them off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I have one for my beading, jewerly making, and paper making. its a the greatest invention. since my eye's are aging (not me) the light really helps. i use the one that has a handle and flips up and around. i can take it anywhere. its the plug in type. a friend has the battery and pluggin and the battery doesn't last long at all. use a coupon at joanne or michaels or wait until they have their ott lamp sale. Kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I have 4 Ott lights and wouldn't be without them. Two of them came from a big box store so were really reasonably priced. The floor lamp got at M's with a coupon and that one is beside my chair as I do a lot of handwork at night and this is just brilliant, both for sewing reading and anything else I might think of doing in the evenings . The desk top model is placed behind my sewing machine and works very well. I have a rechargeable one to take in my RV - wouldn't get anything done camping without it and the fourth is a little fancier one and I have that on my bedside table. The three 'desktop ones, one of them I have on whenever I'm card making. Been using them for over five years and if one of them broke, I'd be replacing it in a flash. Use the desk top one that is behind my machine to put under the plexiglass table that fits around my sewing machine and use it as a light box too. It opens up flat and fits under that easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My husband got me the OTT Craft Light for Christmas. I had seen it at Wal-Mart for $24, and he got it for $19. I saw it this past weekend for $15. I love it. My craft room has a window but other that that, very low light. It really makes a difference, and it has a little caddy to hold stuff, and it is adjustable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have two OTT brand table top ones and one other brand? day light lamp from Lowes which is floor mounted. I love them all. The floor one is brightest but I'm not sure if the wattage is higher or not. All of them help me match colours and generally see better. I've tried finding Copic matches without one and when I looked at my work in the day light the next day, it was truly horrible! Not only did the colors I chose not blend well but the colours used together in different parts of the image didn't jive either. Ugh. And they had looked fine under incandescent light.

If you are picky about matching colours then you need one. If you think you can match colours fine without one then I'd safely venture that you are one of those people who don't strive for a super close match. Which is fine. One of my favourite bloggers doesn't look for close matches and its one of the things I admire most about her because its something I just can't manage to let go. BTW it's Melissa Philips. She will use a peachy pink wih a purply pink and it looks great. Wish I could do it.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So disappointed in my table top Ott light. I wouldn't buy another one. I have two table top lights on my table, the Ott and another regular old one with an old-fashioned incandescent light bulb. I ALWAYS use the old one. Just not impressed with Ott. It does look really cute though. Save your money and buy a better light bulb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
I still stand by my desk sized OTT, but now I may have to think twice about the type of lamp I get for the floor model. I really need the bright light to do fine work and coloring, so with your suggestions, I am going to look into daylight bulbs before I get another OTT.
I have an OttLite floor lamp beside my chair in our living room. I bought it for the purpose of working on my paper crafts, coloring, and other close work. It has a gooseneck, and the light shade is 18" long and narrow. It has a 24 watt bulb and the first time I turned it on, our neighbor whose window is 75 yds from our window, texted and asked if I got a new lamp with a 500 watt bulb! So it's bright!! I truly love it!! I also have two desk top models in my stamping room and love them equally as much. (All were bought on sale!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Using coupons I have three of the portable ones that fold up. I love them. I have a standing lamp but find it's construction is not that good and it tends to wobble. Plus it takes up valuable floor space that blocks my bookshelf. I prefer the folding portable lamps. Either way, you will love the light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I purchase a 25 watt OTT daylight bulb that has a normal style base and I use it in a normal style desk lamp. They say they are 'instant on' in terms of brightness but it seems to take a few minutes to truly get to maximum level. The colors are definitely crisp and true as compared to other light bulbs though I use Sylvannia Daylight bulbs in my other house lamps and have found them quite nice as well. I would definitely suggest trying out a bulb before investing in an OTT lamp if you are unsure. I paid about $9 for the OTT bulb and have found it to be worth the investment and would most definitely consider an OTT lamp in the future if I have the need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a desk top clamp model Ott light. It has a gooseneck and the actuarial light is nice and long. It is great for working directly underneath it. Since I share a studio with my DH (who is a professional artist), we decided to have a large florescent day light panel put up on the ceiling. It is amazing how much light it puts out! I would really love to have another one put in on the other side of the room, but it was costly to have an electrician install it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #29  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I have a desktop Ott which I bought a long time ago. I use it to supplement an architect light that I use with it and I also needed something portable so that I can take it to art classes where extra light is recommended by the instructor. I love the Ott light but it's only 13 Watts, so I need to get another one(or two HAHA) with more wattage. That 24 watt mentioned above sounds great Can't have enough good light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny I should find this thread now. I was at Lowes yesterday and picked up an Ott bulb for regular lamps. The floor lamp I put it in has 2 sockets and WOW what a diff between the two. It was even slightly cheaper than florescent bulbs ($6.99 on sale).

I also have a goose neck clamp on Ott at my craft desk and couldn't do without it. I am wondering if the problem some are having is the wattage. Like any lamp if it isn't putting out enough light then you aren't going to be happy but that has nothing to do with the color being put out by the bulb just the strengh of it. I have found that other daylight florescents can vary a great deal. The light some put out is very nice and others - YUK! I have one "natural" bulb that is the harshest, funky, blueish, UGLY color. That was the one I was looking to replace yesterday when I found the Ott brand.

Hope you find something that works in your craft area!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Funny I should find this thread now. I was at Lowes yesterday and picked up an Ott bulb for regular lamps. The floor lamp I put it in has 2 sockets and WOW what a diff between the two. It was even slightly cheaper than florescent bulbs ($6.99 on sale).

I also have a goose neck clamp on Ott at my craft desk and couldn't do without it. I am wondering if the problem some are having is the wattage. Like any lamp if it isn't putting out enough light then you aren't going to be happy but that has nothing to do with the color being put out by the bulb just the strengh of it. I have found that other daylight florescents can vary a great deal. The light some put out is very nice and others - YUK! I have one "natural" bulb that is the harshest, funky, blueish, UGLY color. That was the one I was looking to replace yesterday when I found the Ott brand.

Hope you find something that works in your craft area!!
I agree! I do have an Ott fixture on my stampin' table, but also have added an Ott bulb to a much less expensive fixture in my photo zone. Go for the larger wattage if you can ... it's a lovely difference in ease of vision as well as seeing colors accurately. ;)

ETA: I also have a couple of "true light" bulbs. They are not as "true" as the Ott bulbs, but yet are not as 'yellow' as regular bulbs or florescent bulbs. Once my "trues" burn out, I will hope to replace with Otts as possible. I look for coupons when aiming for these. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #32  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I stamp in my dining room, which we never used, so I turned it into my stamping room. There's a chandelier over the table, which puts out a lot of light. But the heat!! It was very hard for me to stamp in the summer! The way the house is set up, I'd have to freeze off the other part of the house with a/c to be barely cool enough to stamp.

So I got an OTT floor lamp a few years ago. I use it every time I stamp, it makes a nice large area of light, no heat. Haven't had to get a new bulb yet. I did get it at Michael's with a coupon.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

So happy about this forum. I have track lights in my stamping room with halogen bulbs, but they are not positioned well over my stamping table. (Also, they are very hot!) Have been considering OTT lights, and will for sure go with a floor model. Think I will start with a daylight bulb first to see if that's too hot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
So happy about this forum. I have track lights in my stamping room with halogen bulbs, but they are not positioned well over my stamping table. (Also, they are very hot!) Have been considering OTT lights, and will for sure go with a floor model. Think I will start with a daylight bulb first to see if that's too hot.
The halogens create light that is the hottest you will encounter in non-commercial lighting. I actually had a halogen lamp burn in flame here in my studio a few years ago. Scary stuff!

At our former home, I stamped under a dining room lamp that had the little chandelier bulbs. Even though the lighting itself seemed inadequate there, those little bulbs generated some heat! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #35  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
The halogens create light that is the hottest you will encounter in non-commercial lighting. I actually had a halogen lamp burn in flame here in my studio a few years ago. Scary stuff!

At our former home, I stamped under a dining room lamp that had the little chandelier bulbs. Even though the lighting itself seemed inadequate there, those little bulbs generated some heat! lol
YES! I actually left some when they burned out, so they wouldn't be so hot! Mine also had a center spot and when I needed it, it was quite nicely bright. But the OTT is much better in the summer! I haven't needed the spot at all.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

I bought my OTT Floor Lamp over 5 years ago at Michael's with a 40% coupon for my intricate cross stitching. I have since switched to stamping and papercrafting but use it for an hour or more almost every single day. It is incredibly bright and I have yet to have to replace the original light bulb it came with - this is by far the best purchase I have ever made!!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

Good to know! tfs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

I have the floor one, it matches the decor in my living room and since I can angle the light it doesnt bother anyone. I got mine at lamps plus for $99.99
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm so glad to hear you say you are not impressed with the Ott lights. I got a small desk top model when I first started stamping because everyone raved about the Ott lights. You are right - it's not very bright, and they are really expensive, both the lamps and the bulbs.

I found a floor model daylight spectrum lamp with a gooseneck at Big Lots a couple of years ago for about $30, and it came with 2 free bulbs. It is great to work with, and I am still using the first bulb that came with it.

I say folks should shop around for crafting lights. They frequently have them at the discount outlets, or Lowes or Home Depot on sale.
I bought the same lamp, same price,same store. Still using the same bulb but the base broke tonight. It was leaning crookedly so I tried to twist it tighter and noticed the base was quite loose. It had cracked around one of the screws and there was what appeared to be bits of loose cement on my floor. I don't know what the heck happened to it but I need it desperately. So... I'm here reading everyone's posts and trying to decide what to replace it with. I doubt I will be able to get the deal I got 4 years ago with this floor lamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyhawkeView Post
I bought the same lamp, same price,same store. Still using the same bulb but the base broke tonight. It was leaning crookedly so I tried to twist it tighter and noticed the base was quite loose. It had cracked around one of the screws and there was what appeared to be bits of loose cement on my floor. I don't know what the heck happened to it but I need it desperately. So... I'm here reading everyone's posts and trying to decide what to replace it with. I doubt I will be able to get the deal I got 4 years ago with this floor lamp.
Here is one I just found that looks very similar to the lamps we have. It is a little more, $39.97, but can be shipped free to your Walmart store. It has lots of good reviews:

Purchase the Trademark Global 5' Deluxe Sunlight Floor Lamp for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes