Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference

:confused: What is the difference between the Stampin Up Simply Scored, Scor Pal and Martha Stewart Scoring Board. Thank You for all responses in advance ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SU and Martha Stewart scoreboards are made by EK Success. They both have scorelines every 1/8". SU items (diagonal plate & border ... plate) selling to be used with their scoreboard can be used in the MS one also. There are cosmetic and different selling additions (scoring markers, color, location of storage compartment and MS has a envelope thingy, etc) that make them different. Other people may know other differences.

The ScorPal has deeper score grooves and a MUCH better scoring tool than the MS one. The scoring tool has an indented snap-in storage space above the measuring guide. MS scoring tool has a slide locking method that keeps it attached to the board. SU sells a separate scoring tool that can be stored in a compartment on the board. The ScorPal has scorelines 1/4" apart except in the first and last inch where they are 1/8" apart.

I have the ScorPal (newer version) and a MS board. I think the ScorPal one is sturdier but use both depending on the project. I also have the ScorBuddy in my crafting area and a MS mini-board in my workshop bag.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Crafter 4 Life gave you an excellent summary. Just adding, the Martha board is much less expensive than the others (especially with a coupon), but as she said, the scoring tool it comes with is a-w-f-u-l. If you have an embossing stylus or bone folder, use that instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

ditto what the others say...I have MS, Scor Pal and Scor Buddy. Scor Pal is of better quality in my opinion, but I do use the others depending on the project. I use a stylus on the MS because I hate the tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm probably the lone soul who doesn't mind the MS scoring tool! LOL I use it at a low angle with my index finger near the point and have never had a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

The Stampin' Up! Simply Scored has an add-on diagonal plate as well as a decorative edge one. The add-ons won't work with the ScorPal because there is an edge on the latter. They will work with the MS version.

I think the stylus with the Simply Scored works well and the place markers that come with it are useful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never even wanted or used a scoring plat until this year... I had a scoring blade on my cutting board that I used to score the fold for the base card, so that was the only time I ever used it.
And then I started REALLY making cards. I didn't want to get another big thing to have to store, so I settled for the Scor-Buddy. LOVE it!! I like that I can use the scoring tool and that it has a place to be stored where it will stay in place. I like that it came with a cloth zippered "case" so that it won't gather dust between uses. I like that it is scored in 1/4" segments.

The fact that it is smaller than the "usual" size gives me the extra challlenge to measure from the end and flip a project around so that I can score it, but for me, for now, it works.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
I'm probably the lone soul who doesn't mind the MS scoring tool! LOL I use it at a low angle with my index finger near the point and have never had a problem with it.
But the tool itself hurts my hand It's almost like it has sharp edges or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I purchased the Scor-Buddy awhile back & LOVE IT! Then I decided to get a Larger Score-Board...it took me awhile to decide...but, I finally settled on the MS Score Board. The reason, I wanted the 1/8" score marks across the whole board, I think the lighter color would make it easier to read (getting older...), and the PRICE! It didn't hurt to have the storage compartment on top either! I've heard how SU's comes open & things are lost & I could see where those little pointy things COULD get lost anyway! The color is WAY TO DARK for me! And the price :( ...Score-Pal's price is up there too! I wanted the larger score-board to make 3-D items/ boxes. As for the bone folder that comes with the Score-board, I can use any stylus I have, no problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,113 Likes on 967 Posts

I have a Scor-Pal & LOVE it. I had an older version, which had 1/2" increments, but wanted the 1/4" version, so opted to purchase at a stamp fair. I sold my older version.

I normally use a bone folder rather than the scoring tool, not because the tool doesn't score well, but because I also use the tool or bone folder to crease the fold, & I find the long flat edge on the bone folder is much more convenient than finding a small portion of the scoring tool to do the same thing.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

If you use the MS Score Board envelope maker you will find that your envelopes are way too big. I use the Stampin' Up Score Board and love it. I especially love the diagonal plate. AND it is reasonably priced.

Nicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the craft mat (not sure what the technical name is for it) for my Scor-Pal. It fits right on top, so I can always leave my Scor-Pal right on my work table, so it's always handy to use. The mat lifts right off when I want to score something, and goes right back into place so I can keep working on my project. I LOVE both items!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a scor-pal but I was always thrown whenever I wanted a measurement smaller than 1/4" which is pretty often. And I'm usually quite good with numbers. But then I found the MS one and fabulously it was so much cheaper! Yeah! I wish it had come out before I had bought the scor pal. I love the envelope template but I wish there were more sizes available. I actually figured out a way to calculate envelope sizes for any card. Been meaning to make a video for that but now with the WRMK envelope board I'm not sure it's worth it.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I gave away my score pal and my Martha Stewart boards when I got the Crafter's Companion Ultimate along with the Boxer Board (and all the other score boards). I love it. Really deep embossing and it so versatile. It's in both inches and centimeters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happigirlcorgiView Post
I never even wanted or used a scoring plat until this year... I had a scoring blade on my cutting board that I used to score the fold for the base card, so that was the only time I ever used it.
And then I started REALLY making cards. I didn't want to get another big thing to have to store, so I settled for the Scor-Buddy. LOVE it!! I like that I can use the scoring tool and that it has a place to be stored where it will stay in place. I like that it came with a cloth zippered "case" so that it won't gather dust between uses. I like that it is scored in 1/4" segments.

The fact that it is smaller than the "usual" size gives me the extra challlenge to measure from the end and flip a project around so that I can score it, but for me, for now, it works.
You wrote my answer for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Tina, Would you elaborate on why you felt the Crafter's Companion was better than the other two score boards? I'm having a heck of a time deciding, and my funds are really tight, so I need to make the "right" choice for my needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #17  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creative-JuicesView Post
Hi Tina, Would you elaborate on why you felt the Crafter's Companion was better than the other two score boards? I'm having a heck of a time deciding, and my funds are really tight, so I need to make the "right" choice for my needs.

Hi!

I'm not the Tina you are addressing but I am a Tina

This thread is old so I thought I'd share links to the Crafter's Companion items:

This is to the Ultimate:
The Ultimate Crafter's Companion

This is to the Boxer:
The Boxer

Hope you find this helpful.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes