Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #1  
dmo
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Irritated with Mike's

Even though the sale sign said, "Sizzix diecuts and accessories 40% off" the embossing folders, hanging from the hook displaying the sign, did not ring up for the sale price. I had to argue with the manager to get the sale price on them. She ended up using a "spare coupon" to give me the 40%. Reminded me once again why I try to avoid the place!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Weird - I just picked up two of the Cuttlebug extended cutting plates today and both rang up at the 40% off price. Go figure.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they had a price scanner like Joann's and the price scanner phone app has never worked . oh but I do love their clearances. I just bought a bunch of the $1.50 bin stuff for 50cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I noticed at our new Mikes in Milton Ontario that there are quite a few price scanners around the store, so maybe new stores are getting this added feature?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think each store has their issues. And their own policies, Which stinks!

I really dislike the fact that they give you a 40% off Coupon...Only you can't use it.

Cause pretty much everything in store is %'s off already.

I just wished that they would let us use the coupon on whatever we want.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I think each store has their issues. And their own policies, Which stinks!

I really dislike the fact that they give you a 40% off Coupon...Only you can't use it.

Cause pretty much everything in store is %'s off already.

I just wished that they would let us use the coupon on whatever we want.
I used my 40% coupon on a $1.50 stamp yesterday ...lol that was the only thing I could use it on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

A few weeks ago I went into Michael's with a 50% off coupon. I wanted to get a set of Nestabilities. They weren't on sale, per the ad, and there was no sign by them indicating that they were on sale. Yay! After standing in line, then waiting for the clerk at the register to go get the set out of lock-up, when she rang it up it showed 30% off, so I couldn't use the coupon. Say what? This week I went in with a 40% off coupon. I took the Nesties tag back to framing to have it scanned. It doesn't scan. The clerk called someone with a portable scanner, and he took it to the Nesties display and scanned the bar code that's fixed. It wasn't on sale, so I got my 40% off. Yes, I'd love to see Michael's add scanners to the store! It would save time for me and the people in line in back of me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I just don't shop there anymore. I have a JoAnn and Hobby Lobby that are easier to business with so they get my business. I feel your pain OP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I think I kinda quit going to Michaels. When the nesties and sizzix does go on sale, the shelves are completely cleaned out. Or the there are the "take to the cashier" tags are on the hooks and they can't find the product in the cage. Seriously, if you sold all your items, don't leave those tags on the hooks. It looks like you still have the product and wastes everyone's time figuring it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our's keep changing their mind about coupons. For the longest time, they would only take one. Then they started taking 2, 1 Mike's & 1 Joann's. That was great for me & I've been doing that the past year or two. Recently I was shopping at Hobby Lobby & over heard an aquaintance telling another lady that if she takes snacks to the clerks at Mike's, they will let her use 3 coupons & that she does it all the time. A few days after hearing that comment, I went into Mike's with 2 coupons, 1 Mike's & 1 Joann's. The cashier said I could only use 1 coupon, that was their policy. So I said in the past I've used 2 & she said, well you can only use one. So I also commented, well gee, I just heard "Jane" say a couple of days ago that she always gets to use 3 when she brings snacks for the clerks.....she didn't say a word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me today. A Sizzix die came up as $19.95 when the sign had clearly said the dies were 40% off. The clerk happened to have Sunday's flyer there, and the exact same die was pictured next to the 40% off designation. 'Nuf said, I got it for 40% off.

Earlier I had pointed out to a clerk three packages of Sizzix embossing folders (all A-2 pairs). Two were marked $10.99, and the third was $19.95. She scanned it and came up still with $19.95 for two measly embossing folders. Guess nobody is allowed (or has the common sense?) to challenge a computer. Caveat emptor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Maybe it's a regional thing. The Michaels stores around here are fabulous, well-stocked and lovely workers, but the Joann's stores are awful. The stores tend to be out of sale items, the sales aren't marked well, the workers are crabby, etc.

I like the workers at the Hobby Lobby near me, but I get irritated that they don't use UPCs and enter prices by hand. It leads to errors (which have yet to be in my favor) and makes returns a hassle.

Love the Michaels & HL apps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got lucky the other day when I took a cool little journal from the clearance aisle that was marked at $.86 cents but rang up for $.01. The clerk even let me run back and pick up a couple more at that price! I do find their sales racks to be quite annoying though especially the stickers which they sort by topic rather than company and then don't put all the stickers on sale only certain of the companies but they're all in the same place. They will also have some of the bins/racks marked down and not others and stuff will be all mixed up so you can't tell what's what.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by xayide2View Post
I think I kinda quit going to Michaels. When the nesties and sizzix does go on sale, the shelves are completely cleaned out. Or the there are the "take to the cashier" tags are on the hooks and they can't find the product in the cage. Seriously, if you sold all your items, don't leave those tags on the hooks. It looks like you still have the product and wastes everyone's time figuring it out.
This is my one gripe. I took one of those tags to the cashier and they looked and said they were out of stock! I agree, if there is no product, remove the tags until there is. Other than that my Michaels is pretty good. I'm just a little bored with it at the moment. Same old same old....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This happens at my local Michaels all the time. The price stickers that they put on the peg hooks many times will have some outrageous price on one of them. At Christmas time they had their new card making supplies up and the price for a set of chipboard stickers said they were $379.and odd cents. I took it up to the sales associate who said "we can't change it, that is what came to us the computer prints them". What should come to them is some common sense!! I see it all the time there. Next time I am going to take a pic. AND don't even get me started about Joann's.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinoviceView Post
This happens at my local Michaels all the time. The price stickers that they put on the peg hooks many times will have some outrageous price on one of them. At Christmas time they had their new card making supplies up and the price for a set of chipboard stickers said they were $379.and odd cents. I took it up to the sales associate who said "we can't change it, that is what came to us the computer prints them". What should come to them is some common sense!! I see it all the time there. Next time I am going to take a pic. AND don't even get me started about Joann's.....
Having worked in retail, I can tell you that, in fact, pricing is generally downloaded to the local store computer from the central office. It's why, if you're in a 24-hour store around 11:59 on a Saturday night, you may hear an announcment that you won't be able to check out for a few minutes while the computer updates.

It's not like the clerks enjoy listening to customers complain about it any more than the customer enjoys HAVING to complain about it. And the people who cashier and work the floor are probably not even allowed to access the computer anyhow. It's usually only the management and the pricing team.

So yeah, should it be obvious that chipboard isn't $379? Of course. But berating the clerks because they can't fix it doesn't help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I got a Cuttlebug embossing folder - James Set with stripes and chevron for only $12. I hear you htough most of the time their scanners don't work! But their scrapbooking stuff is better then Joannes. I'll stick to SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Having worked in retail, I can tell you that, in fact, pricing is generally downloaded to the local store computer from the central office. It's why, if you're in a 24-hour store around 11:59 on a Saturday night, you may hear an announcment that you won't be able to check out for a few minutes while the computer updates.

It's not like the clerks enjoy listening to customers complain about it any more than the customer enjoys HAVING to complain about it. And the people who cashier and work the floor are probably not even allowed to access the computer anyhow. It's usually only the management and the pricing team.

So yeah, should it be obvious that chipboard isn't $379? Of course. But berating the clerks because they can't fix it doesn't help.
I too have worked over 35 years in retail and NEVER would it occur to me to "berate" a fellow retail worker, nor did I say I berated the associate when I inquired about the obvious error. We both laughed at how incredulous the situation is and that they cannot change the price at the local level.
Please do not attack me and say that I berated the hard working staff at Michaels. I must say I am taken aback by your personal attack. Like many others on this forum, the issue is with the policies and procedures of the companies, NOT with the associates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

sad that its not consistant at these stores.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Our Michael's does the same thing. I don't go there often because I do have to watch at the register and check my entire receipt before I leave. Even with coupon and flyer in hand their computers still mess up almost every time. Without the coupon their prices here are higher than anywhere else in the area. I did retail work also. The clerk usually has no control over it and must contact upper management to get the issue corrected. What a frustrating place it must be to work.

Last edited by stiz2003; 03-16-2013 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

To be honest, I have found Michaels prices to be better than ACMoore. At least where I go to shop. The Big Bite Crop A Dile is $10 cheaper at Michaels. And the MS punches are at least $3 to $4 cheaper. Their 6x6 paper packs however are $2 more but they have a great selection so I usually get those with a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

The nearest Michaels to me is 4 hours away, so obviously no flyers in our newspaper. If I forget to print off a coupon, there is none available in the store, that policy is absolutely ridiculous!! I also find the stock never really changes and believe me, I am only there 1-2 times a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
The nearest Michaels to me is 4 hours away, so obviously no flyers in our newspaper. If I forget to print off a coupon, there is none available in the store, that policy is absolutely ridiculous!! I also find the stock never really changes and believe me, I am only there 1-2 times a year.
If you have a smartphone, you can download the free Michaels app and just show the coupon on your phone at the register. I no longer print anything out. Hobby Lobby also has a great app (with the coupon), but no coupons in the store (at least those around me).

As for updated stock, one Ms near me is pretty good about having new things, but one doesn't change often at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

I was into Michaels yesterday. It does look like they are making some changes. I didn't have a coupon, but both things I bought were on sale anyway. I haven't downloaded any app to my phone. I am not giving my cell phone number out to any more than I have to. I'm sure they would need an email or cellphone number in order for you to receive it to your phone. I would just rather print them off at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I am not giving my cell phone number out to any more than I have to. I'm sure they would need an email or cellphone number in order for you to receive it to your phone.
No, you don't need to give your phone number. It's not text alerts, it's an app. You download it from whatever source you get your apps (Amazon, Apple, etc.).

Within the app are sections for the coupons, the local ad (you enter a zip code, just a zip code, if you want this), store info, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
If you have a smartphone, you can download the free Michaels app and just show the coupon on your phone at the register. I no longer print anything out. Hobby Lobby also has a great app (with the coupon), but no coupons in the store (at least those around me).

As for updated stock, one Ms near me is pretty good about having new things, but one doesn't change often at all.
No smart phone...I am thinking about the new Blackerry though,thanks for the info! but cost of phone vs. more stamps,hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

No, you don't need to give your phone number. It's not text alerts, it's an app. You download it from whatever source you get your apps (Amazon, Apple, etc.).

Within the app are sections for the coupons, the local ad (you enter a zip code, just a zip code, if you want this), store info, etc.
I'll check it out, thanks. I just wonder how you get new coupons...they have to be able to come into your phone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I'll check it out, thanks. I just wonder how you get new coupons...they have to be able to come into your phone.
Your phone uses either your wifi connection (if one is available) or your cellular connection to get any updated content within the app. You never enter your phone number. It works just like any other app. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and downloaded the apps (Ms and HL and many others) from the appstore (Google Play store). I also use the Amazon Appstore to get apps. I've never given Ms or anyone else my phone number to use their apps.

I also have an iPad and and iPod Touch and have a zillion Apple apps. I can't recall ever entering my phone number to use them. I can't say how it works for an iPhone, but I assume it's like android phones, iPads, iPods, etc. and phone numbers are not necessary.

Perhaps you're thinking of text alerts, which are a totally different animal. If you sign up for text alerts, you will need to provide your cell number. Michaels does have a text alert program, but I found that the app serves my needs very well, so I stopped the texts by simply texting STOP in reply to one of their texts. The texts stopped immediately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
No smart phone...I am thinking about the new Blackerry though,thanks for the info! but cost of phone vs. more stamps,hmmm
hmmmmmm I love my smartphone, but...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

I checked the playstore by going online. You can read what type of permissions the app uses with your phone. Things like allowing it to make changes to your SD card, using the camera without your knowledge, Sending emails without your knowledge etc. Don't think I like some of that stuff. Here is a link to the playstore. It should take you to the permissions page but if it doesn't just click on the permissions tab to see what all the app is able to do...maybe I just don't understand things, but I think I will continue to get my coupons in an email.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I know it sounds like I'm trying to talk you into this, but I'm really not!

Those permissions are pretty standard. It's really a CYA thing for the app. Many (probably most) apps have similar permissions, but there's not a reason for them to ever use them, so they don't. Yes, they could if they wanted to, but they don't. Think of the backlash Ms would get if they started doing anything like taking photos or making calls. It's just not going to happen.

On the Amazon Appstore site, there are always people writing reviews about how they're worried about permissions. (When I first started using apps, I read everything and all the reviews. I was paranoid about my privacy and my phone and all that, and am just a touch OCD -- a crazy combination!) There's never been, to my knowledge, anyone who has written that an app actually did anything like make a phone call or take a picture or mess with the contents of an SD card. It's a shame some apps use a standard, all-encompassing CYA statement saying they'll do these things because it does cause some people to pass up great apps.

Definitely do whatever makes you comfortable. However, if it helps you feel just a little bit more secure, I've had the Ms app since they offered it. I do keep very close tabs on my phone because I'm online with it a lot and use it as a hotspot to get my other devices online. I've been through M's shakedown period and their updates & changes, and have never had an issue with the app.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree with everything Meg said, and I use the app all the time. The only thing I don't like about using coupons via the app is that you can use them only once. Then they disappear. I don't know why they have it set that way, because you can use a different printed coupon every day.

Anyway, it's a good app, and it doesn't interfere with our use any other features of my iPhone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I know it sounds like I'm trying to talk you into this, but I'm really not!

Those permissions are pretty standard. It's really a CYA thing for the app. Many (probably most) apps have similar permissions, but there's not a reason for them to ever use them, so they don't. Yes, they could if they wanted to, but they don't. Think of the backlash Ms would get if they started doing anything like taking photos or making calls. It's just not going to happen.

On the Amazon Appstore site, there are always people writing reviews about how they're worried about permissions. (When I first started using apps, I read everything and all the reviews. I was paranoid about my privacy and my phone and all that, and am just a touch OCD -- a crazy combination!) There's never been, to my knowledge, anyone who has written that an app actually did anything like make a phone call or take a picture or mess with the contents of an SD card. It's a shame some apps use a standard, all-encompassing CYA statement saying they'll do these things because it does cause some people to pass up great apps.

Definitely do whatever makes you comfortable. However, if it helps you feel just a little bit more secure, I've had the Ms app since they offered it. I do keep very close tabs on my phone because I'm online with it a lot and use it as a hotspot to get my other devices online. I've been through M's shakedown period and their updates & changes, and have never had an issue with the app.
Thank you for the awesome info! I am a bit OCD too, and have only had the android smartphone since Christmas. The only app I downloaded so far was a notepad app that has no permissions. I just wanted something I could type in some lists and it works perfectly. I do a lot of research first, as you can probably tell! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

My Micheal's employees are pretty friendly and helpful. I've never had a problem that did not get resolved then and there. NOW if only they would freshen up their merchandise more and for God's sake PLEASE get rid of the paper and embellies that have been sitting in there for years! And also do we really need three of the same lines being sold at all three of the big box craft stores? All three carry a certain person's line and only maybe 5 different stamp lines so there is really no variety. More and more of my crafting dollars are going to internet stores. Sorry local economy! :razz: Thanks for listening to my rant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Tired of Mike's and JoAnn

I have problems with lack of stock as well (esp on the cuttlebug/sizzix etc) seems like they never get anything new! But I do seem to be able to use coupons more at Mike's-my JoAnn puts things on sale at 10% off so of course you can't use a coupon. I've wandered the aisles more than a few times trying to find things I need that I can use the coupon for-I finally have given up and tend to go to Hobby Lobby or use the internet or my local stamp store....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I agree with everything Meg said, and I use the app all the time. The only thing I don't like about using coupons via the app is that you can use them only once. Then they disappear. I don't know why they have it set that way, because you can use a different printed coupon every day.

Anyway, it's a good app, and it doesn't interfere with our use any other features of my iPhone.
Here's what you do... take a screen shot of the coupon, then you have it and you can re-use it. The sales associate at Michael's told me to do it. Works great. I also do it on other coupons for different stores, that way I'm not using data to use the coupon either. Win, win!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I noticed my M's started carrying a few 6 by 6 paper pads-about the only new paper item they've had in years not counting DCWV packs. I went in there a couple of weeks ago seeking for an egg shaped punch and Easter themed stamp sets, no luck so I did what I inevitably do: walk out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Here's what you do... take a screen shot of the coupon, then you have it and you can re-use it. The sales associate at Michael's told me to do it. Works great. I also do it on other coupons for different stores, that way I'm not using data to use the coupon either. Win, win!!
Great idea! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

So I can take a picture of the coupon with my phone and then just show the picture at Mike's?? That would be awesome. Can I take the picture from the computer screen? I guess that's what you are talking about because you wouldn't be saving paper if you printed it out to take the picture. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
So I can take a picture of the coupon with my phone and then just show the picture at Mike's?? That would be awesome. Can I take the picture from the computer screen? I guess that's what you are talking about because you wouldn't be saving paper if you printed it out to take the picture. LOL
That I am not sure of. Try it and see. I screen shot from my Iphone via the Michael's app or I have also done it with my email, also from my phone. I'm not sure how it works on other devices. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes