Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2004, 08:12 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of becoming a demo but have a dliema - help

I have seriously considered signing up to become a SU demonstrator but I have a slight dilema. I am not real happy with my current demonstrator. I recently went to another friends party - different demo who was fantastic. She had fresh ideas, very organized, etc. I had thought about switching to her to buy product from but I know she and my demonstrator are in the same group. I do not want to cause and hard feelings. What should I do. If I sign up I would like to sign up under the new lady. Help. :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 08:31 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

You should sign up under who you want. However, to minimize hard feelings, you should speak to your demo and tell her what is going on. Tell her you went with another friend to a demonstration and you felt more "in line" with her and ... I would be clear that the other demo did not try to steal you away. I can almost assure you that there will be some hard feelings. After all, imagine how you will feel if and when someone does that to you. But there are no territories in SU and you have every right to sign up under who you want to. People do get over hurt feelings though, and if they don't, then that's their problem. Do what you need to do.

That said, if the guilt is too much, then sign up under your current demo and go it on your own. Her ideas and lack of "freshness" need not impact your business. I rarely communicate with my upline, although she is a fantastic stamper. She answers questions if I have them, but we don't have meetings, etc. You can get plenty of help from on-line support groups and, of course, this site. Personally, I've never understood the bitterness some people feel toward their upline's lack of involvement, but that's me (and I realize that). I like the independence. But, of course, that's my choice.

It is a dilemma for sure, and you will get plenty of replies to this, I'm sure. Do what you want to do and feel comfortable doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Here's My two cents worth...

I have been a demo for 3 years now and signed up under someone who didn't want a downline; therefore, hasn't been supportive or helpful at all. Consider the long term effects as well as right now. It would be in your best interests to sign with someone that you can learn a lot from and is willing to help you succeed as a demonstrator as well.

Just my .02 worth
Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sign up with who you feel most comfortable with and excited by. This will probably be a long term relationship and you want to make sure you will be as happy as you can be with it for a long time. I'm sure there are many demos out there who wish they would have shopped around a little bit for a demo that they really liked.

Yes, you can do it on your own and many people do. But, think how much easier and happier you will be doing it with someone you find exciting!

But, I would be as honest and open with everyone involved. Definately let your old Demonstrator know that this other Demonstrator didn't try to "steal" you away. And I would talk to your "new" demonstrator and get her opinion on how she would like to handle the whole situation. There will be hurt feelings but I think everyone gets over them a lot quicker when everything is done honestly and openly.

I wouldn't let guilt cause you to make a decision that you might really regret!

Heidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with talking to both demos. You might want to consider talking to the demo you want to sign up under first. She may not want to get involved in something like this. If she is ok with it then talk with your first demo.
I would sign up with whom ever you feel most comfortable with. I have done other home business' and have had great upline and bad upline. There is nothing like starting out and having tons of questions and no one there to offer support and advice.
Even when you have been a demo for a while, there can be times when you need some umph! to get going again, you are going to need a good upline (or this place ).
Let us know what you decide to do.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I was in the same situation. The demo that did my workshops etc was not that great and when you wanted information it was like pulling teeth. I had even asked her about becomming a demo and she brushed me off. When I talked to her about the fact I was signing up under someone else...she begged me to sign up under her etc. When I didnt she made it clear that I was NOT allowed to demo for anyone that attended any of my workshops that she did. It wasnt too pleasant. I understand the whole concept of talking to her but at the same time you really dont owe her any explanations. Sign up under who you feel is the better demo and who you are inspired by. That is just my 2 cents
Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:23 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

A couple of things to consider: if you choose to sign up with the second demonstrator, you're original demo will still be making income off of your sales. I would be very candid with both of them and ask each of them what they will offer you as an upline. I let potential recruits know that I will offer them weekly training and goal setting sessions their first month joined. Monthly downline meetings, weekly phone calls, access to all of my files, projects, ideas etc. card swaps, several years of experience with Stampin' Up! etc.
It may be that the original demo can offer more than the second or vise-versa. Grow your business with who you want to spend time with and get help and info from.
If you choose to sign up with the second, your original demo should look at this as a bonus for her downline. My opinion only.
Chari
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Shari, I am missing something. How will the first demo make something from her if she signs up with the second demo? Thanks for your insight.
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the demo whom you are most comfortable with. I have a great upline who's support and cheerleading is just what I need! Also, I think that all of my upline's recruits are great! All of our meetings have great energy and camraderie! sp?

Go with your gut!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:47 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It looks like the 2 demos are in the same group, but are not necessarily upline & downline to each other; they're sidelines.

And I agree with all of the above. Interview the one you want to sign up under; let her know what you're looking for. Ask for her opinion on the situation. Then after assessing all of that, you'll better be able to talk with the lady you currently purchase from.

And if for some reason you do choose to sign up under your current demo, and don't feel you're getting enough, you can always join the SU! Orphans group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:52 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

The first demo wont make anything off her sales b/c right now she is a customer. No one makes anything unless she is already a demo.

Anniesmom is considering becoming a demo. Hope I read that correctly.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 09:55 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I was in a very similar situation. I spoke with my current demonstrator and told her I was more comfortable with the 'business-like' structure of another demonstrator and her very active upline. They held monthly meetings which were very organized and inspiring, the support group was so local and convenient to me and the energy of the group was, as someone else has stated earlier in this thread, more 'in-line' with my personality. Luckily she completely understood and although sad wished me luck. We are still in contact with each other and provide support, ideas and encouragement when we can. I think your situation can be an amicable one if you honestly speak to the first demonstrator about your feelings. All in all though, you need to go with your instincts and where your heart takes you. Don't be obligated to a demonstrator if it doesn't fit your stamping/business needs! Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Interview

Marcia, above made an interesting comment about "interviewing" the second demo. Why not approach both of the demonstrators with the point of view that you are interviewing for who you think would be the best upline for you. Make it clear (in a nice way) that it is your decision on whom you sign up under. That way when you make your decision, neither of them is surprised that you were talking to someone else.

(The one who gives you the least flack about it is the one who would be best to sign up under, in my opinion.)

Just my 2 cents.
Rhonda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 10:59 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

You need to be happy with yourself and the person you choose to sign up under. Take time to find out what sort of support each person will give and how much.
I signed up under my "regular demonstrator" who soon afterwards quit. She didn't offer any help other than, "I could possibly come to your first party, if you like." and never contacted me to see how it went. I feel that I have struggled at times, and even though I know several other demonstrators in my area, they are all pretty busy with their own up and down lines and are quite different from me.

I am thankful to SU for changing SD to an easier format for me to use and that through SD I found Splitcoast, and the orphan demo group, and all the awesome stuff that is here. SO there is support out there.
BUt go with the person you feel most comfortable with. You can't please everyone all the time, and when it comes to decisions like these your own intuition is as important as "keeping on good terms" with everyone.
Cate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 11:02 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Instead of interviewing your potential uplines, find out who is in their first level and talk to them about what kinds of activities the upline has. Do they hold monthly meetings, is a monthly meeting important to you; do they live close enough to you or is that even important to you. Figure out what you want from an upline and see which one fits. Good Luck!
SCS Member #2547
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Right now, I am dealing with the same thing. I recently signed up as a demo, and one of my friends attended the workshop that I signed up in. The demo who is now my upline was trying to recruit my friend at my party. My friend, wants to sign up under me, but my upline is still trying to recruit her. I tell her to do whatever she feels best with, which is sign up under me, but I dont want my upline to feel like I stole her recruit. Even though I am new, I feel that I can offer my friend tons of support and ideas. I just hope my upline dosent resent me for it later.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I admit I'm surprised that your upline is doing that. Does she have many in her downline? Most of the time the upline wants to give you whatever you need to get a great start, at least that's my experience in that past.

If your friend wants to sign up under you, she should be able to do that without feeling bad about it. I'd talk it over very seriously with her, and go over any possibilities that could occur (that you can think of!). If it all seems great to you, I'd sign her up and let her tell your upline she made the choice.

Is she also a friend to your friend? I wonder if that's why she feels that way...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 12:42 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know I have 2 consultants here as well. If I were to sign it would be hard to tell one yes and one no (so to speak). If it were me in your shoes (which I would be if I were going to sign up) I would want to be with the one that I liked the best. Honestly if you dont like the 1st demos style then you should find someone you can enjoy being around and someone who you can learn from. Your business is important and you want to have great support so I would follow your heart as to who you will be able to best work with.
BEST OF LUCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 01:25 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

What is the Orphan demo group? sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all your replies. I do appreciate all your advise. It seems so easy because in my heart I know who I would rather sign up with I just hate friction. I do need to do a little more research and interviewing but your responses have helped. I will certainly have to go with my heart and do what is right for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 04:29 PM   #21  
Total Quack

I absolutely agree that you should choose your upline carefully. I chose mine because she was an acquaintance from church, and I wanted her to do well. THAT was a mistake. I truly wish I had chosen someone else. She has done nothing for me (except give me a key chain and two inspiration sheets) and doesn't check on me at all. I've only been a demo since April, so I'm still very much a beginner at this. I think she is intimidated because I have been stamping for a loooooong time, but I sure could have used workshop and business ideas and coaching. That's a choice I have to live with, but you have the chance to choose yours better. Take that chance!! You will benefit from it in so many ways.

Now..... is the Orphan list something that would accept a very new demo???

~*Shell*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

We would love to have any demo who needs a home! I've been stamping for years and have a demo for 1 year in August. But... I've only recently started making it a business and have actually only done Open Houses and catalog shows! No workshops yet!

Come join us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the welcoming invite! Where do we find you?
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 05:01 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just click on Forums. Then you'll see Orphaned Demos. Just click on that and it will walk you through "applying". I'll approve messages as soon as I check it

Yea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 05:34 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't find the SU orphan demos under forums. Am I not looking in the right place
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #26  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Marcia,
You must mean forums in the demo only section?? Never heard of it on the regular page... lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 05:40 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Glad to know it's not just me. I was beginning to think I'm going blind! I checked out all of the forums, including the demo only forums and cannot find it either.
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2004, 05:57 PM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oooopsie!

Okay, click on Forums, then look for User Groups. This is where you'll see the RAK group, too. You should see Orphaned Demos there in User Groups. *Then* click on Orphaned Demos.

I'll keep checking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I still cannot find this user group. Could you e-mail me the page at [email protected] Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes