Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question SU! Basic Black NEW FOAM Pad - Problem Resolved?

I know that there are other threads out there that address the new foam pads and smearing, but the responses are not current and I'm wondering if SU! has resolved this problem.

Any SU! Demo who wants to address this please do.

I've been putting off getting the new foam basic black pad because of issues with smearing, etc., but I won't order it if the problem has not been resolved by SU!

Thanks,
Kelli
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to my demo, and she believes the problem is the WW cardstock. She said SU changed that paper and it is a bit smoother so the black ink tends to smear more on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, the Basic Black Stampin' Pad only smears on Whisper White and Very Vanilla card stock. I decided to purchase one to try it. When I stamp a black image--so much bolder than the old Basic Black--I set it aside for a minute to let it dry while I work on another element of the card. I have not had it smear at all. If you're in a hurry, just blast it with your heat gun for a second or two and keep working. The new Basic Black Stampin' Pad is so worth whatever slight inconvenience it might present.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know, GrammaKat! Thanks for the tip.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yup, there haven't been any recent updates other than they are finding some improvements but are still working on testing out changes. I've only run into the problem on Whisper White but not 100% of the time. It may even depend on your batch of paper. Actually, I've mainly seen the problem with one of my mom's Basic Black pads and not my new one. But still, I tend to use my old style pad for a lot of my black stamping while I wait for an answer (and since I had a couple anyway, might as well use them! )

I'm sure once SU comes up with a solution everyone will be talking about it - either happy with the solution or unhappy with the change. I expect though that they are taking this long so they can come up with a good solution that will be the right solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #6  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've just acquired an unopened basic black ink spot from a friend. I'm assuming it will need re-inking, as it would be a couple of years old. Should I look for old formula bottle of re-inker off ebay, because I vaguely recall there's an issue with re-inking an old pad with new formula (or is it the other way round?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
I've just acquired an unopened basic black ink spot from a friend. I'm assuming it will need re-inking, as it would be a couple of years old. Should I look for old formula bottle of re-inker off ebay, because I vaguely recall there's an issue with re-inking an old pad with new formula (or is it the other way round?)
I just triple checked and you are fine. It works fine to reink the "old style" pads with the new formula of inks (only 5 of the colors changed anyway). But you don't want to use the OLD reinkers with these 5 colors:
- Marina Mist
- Basic Black
- Basic Grey
- Tempting Turquoise
- Perfect Plum

So, basically:
old pad --> any reinker is fine
new pad, not one of the colors above --> any reinker is fine
new pad, one of the 5 colors above --> use only the new reinkers

Hope that clears it up for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just a heads up that Stampin' Up! just told demos that they have updated the formula and consider the Basic Black problem resolved. They adjusted the amount of Black Dye in the ink liquid and say that it was just enough to fix the drying problem without sacrificing the rich solid black color. You can use the new formula on your current firm foam Basic Black ink pads and old style ink pads.

The ink pads and ink refills are shipping now.

they have also worked with the paper manufacturer to tighten the tolerances on the Whisper White cardstock as well to make sure it doesn't contribute to the problem as well. So, looks like we are good to go now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Yay!

I placed an order for the free shipping on Saturday, so I hope the paper and ink are both good to go - or at least I hope what I receive will be the "good stuff" in the shipment I receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post
I placed an order for the free shipping on Saturday, so I hope the paper and ink are both good to go - or at least I hope what I receive will be the "good stuff" in the shipment I receive.
Let us know how they work when you get them. I tried letting the ink dry for more than 20 minutes, it still smeared, and it was quite a dramatic problem, not just a little thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

How "new" is your foam pad? I'm thinking if I ordered one today, it would be one of the "new formulation" pads, KWIM? I would hope SU! would begin getting rid of whatever inventory they have on hand (of the bad stock) and restocking it with the new and improved formula that is supposed to do away with the smearing.

I just ordered whisper white CS and and am asking my demo to add the "new and improved" pad to my order. Hopefully, there won't be a problem with the ink and/or paper.

Oh well, if it still causes a problem, I do have 90 days to return the ink pad. I really don't think the paper will be the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes