Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Acrylic Blocks?

what brand and type of acrylic blocks do you prefer? Also, all clear or grid preferred?

I have some rock a blocks, and one clear. just getting started stamping and making cards.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

My all time faves are the Stampin' Up! clear blocks. They're nice and thick so you don't get inky fingertips and also have a groove around all the sides so they're easier to hold on to and your hands don't cramp up during a marathon stamp session. Lol! If you're looking for ones with a grid, Stampin' Up! also has grid sheets you can place on the clear blocks. I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know the brand but bought them at JoAnn/Michael's. they have the grid and a scallop edge for easier grasping. I have others -cleat with a slight groove all around for grip. I don't like thin ones like the Tim Holtz ones-too hard to hold and I often touch the ink pad with my fingers. I also have a mega block that I bought from Impression Obession that has a handle for my 'cover the page' stamps.

I like my block thickish, with a grid and with some type of assist for grip.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I also like the blocks with grid lines for perfectly straight stamping. The ones with a scalloped edge are comfortable as opposed to the straight edge where I don't feel I have as good a grip on my block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I prefer the Close to My Heart blocks, they have the same shape, weight and feel of a wood block. I find them really comfortable to use.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

First choice is Stampin' Up--easy to hold and a good weight. Prior to SU, I had tried various acrylic dies and Close To My Heart was my acrylic block of choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I like the SU and the CTMH. I have a full set of SU and am slowly gathering all the CTMH. I have one (from neither company) with a grid and it's fine, but I don't really find that it helps my stamping be any straighter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the CTMH blocks are fabulous because there is no distortion when you look through them. however, they are not gridded and I need grids some times. So I also have a gridded block from Apple Pie (round with the wavy edges). Love them both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

LOVE the SU! clear blocks because they have the groove all the way around so don't cut into your fingers and they are thick so your fingers don't get in the ink. A Fiskers small stamp press is good, too, because it has grid lines and takes bigger stamps or multiple stamps. I do have a few of the scalloped edged blocks with grid marks, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I bought Inkadinkado brand at A.C. Moore or Michael's with coupons. I have 4 different sizes which has been fine for everything except the large "Cover-A-Card" background stamps from Impression Obsession. For those I did buy the Mega Mount, it's a large acrylic piece slightly curved with a handle. The idea is to stick the large background stamps to it and then be able to roll across your paper to get good even coverage. I don't have much luck with it, think I need more practice. For very large stamps I do better to put the stamp flat on the table, ink it up and put the paper on top.

ANYWAY...I like the Inkadinkado blocks because using coupons to buy them makes them budget friendly, they have grids, scalloped edges for finger grips and they are a nice thickness and a decent heavy weight without being too heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I bought Inkadinkado brand at A.C. Moore or Michael's with coupons. I have 4 different sizes which has been fine for everything except the large "Cover-A-Card" background stamps from Impression Obsession. For those I did buy the Mega Mount, it's a large acrylic piece slightly curved with a handle. The idea is to stick the large background stamps to it and then be able to roll across your paper to get good even coverage. I don't have much luck with it, think I need more practice. For very large stamps I do better to put the stamp flat on the table, ink it up and put the paper on top.

ANYWAY...I like the Inkadinkado blocks because using coupons to buy them makes them budget friendly, they have grids, scalloped edges for finger grips and they are a nice thickness and a decent heavy weight without being too heavy.
I like the feel of the SU blocks but I also use the Inkadinkado ones if I need blocks with grid lines for sentiments or need precise placement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another vote for SU blocks. I have the whole set of them and prefer them to the other generic blocks I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

After trying many, many acrylic blocks, I have decided that SU are my favorite. I have not tried CTMH, so I can't comment on those.

The Inkadinkado blocks are nice and my second favorite, love the grid lines.

I bought some Apple Pie round blocks and have to say they are not my favorite. I have used them for about a year, and every time I do they seem to really dig into my fingers and are not very comfortable. I hate the plain edge square ones, I almost feel like those will give me paper cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

My favorite acrylic block is the Fiskars Stamp Press. I have the big one, and it's the best block I've ever used. Even my largest background stamps and unmounted wheels fit on it, and I get a great impression every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I was a Close to My Heart demo when they first switched to acrylic, so I have all of their blocks. I've tried a couple of others (Apple Pie, Fiskars stamp press), but will use these until they die. A few of them have some crazing, but it doesn't bother me enough to replace them. If I'm doing something that requires grid lines, I use the stamp press. I have the "Block Buddies" that CTMH makes that you can stick on the blocks to make them gridded, but I've never even tried them (lazy, I guess).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stampin' Up! are Great!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I will only use gridded blocks with finger grips. I've actually found a way to add gridding. You need a grid ruler and a strong sharp paper piercer or a sharp fine awl. Set up the ruler where you want your line. Drag your paper piercer at a 45 degree angle along the ruler until you have a nice deep groove. Add sharpie marker or white sharpie paint pen if you prefer your lines coloured. Repeat making sure your ruler is superbly lined up if you want the lines to actually be useful. You can also add lines the other way. I don't care about thickness tho I suppose thinner is better for storage.

I have one 3.5" round one I use unless its shape/size doesn't work for some reason but I use it even for tiny stamps. Then I also have a 2.5" square, a2.5x4" rectangle, a huge one that fits a card front stamp and a long skinny one for borders. One other fits over sized stamps that wont fit on the above but not large enough for the card front block and its the only one not gridded but since its only for images, it doesn't matter.

I used to get sooo many sentiments crooked and have to get creative with covering them up before I only used gridded blocks. I also wasted paper and time restamping or trimming images since they were crooked. That never happens anymore. Since I use a lot of XPress it paper now that saves me $!

I also have a fiskars stamp press and I like it except I find it hard to avoid those feet when I ink. I know, it isn't hard but to me it's awkward. So I save it for times when the extra large grid is especially helpful. I have many, many more shapes and sizes of blocks but will probably give them away or sell them soon. I have lots with handles on them like old fashioned wooden blocks! Send me a message if u want em! I have a whole set! I will keep a couple tiny ones for when I add lots of embellies then want to sneak a tiny sentiment right in beside and don't have room for a big block!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Last edited by Rebecca Ednie; 03-13-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Thank you, Rebecca for the idea. I will try it later on one of my acrylic blocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Love SU blocks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I like the CTMH blocks for all the different sizes, Apple Pie round blocks, ME grid block and the stamping press from Martha Stewart. If you use a block that is too big the stamp can roll and you don't get good impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

As long as they have the indentation on the sides doesn't matter to me the maker. I have more of the CTMH since I used to be a demonstrator for them.
Reply With Quote Likes