Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of friendly stampers

I am getting back into stamping and want to meet fellow stampers. I attended a stamp-a-stack workshop last night through a demo I contacted on line. The demo was wonderful. The group was separated into 2 tables and I was with 2 ladies who were unfriendly and into themselves. I felt terrible afterward, like I wasn't in the "in crowd". The way the group was set up, I wasn't able to mingle with the other guests. Should I talk to the host about it? find another group? Put my big girl panties on? I was just so excited about going and then bummed when I got home. I know I am pretty friendly and reserved, as I'm president of a MOMS Club. I want to meet some friendly stampers, any suggestions?
Cherie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you had a bad experience. I go to classes and workshops with friends or by myself and have always enjoyed them. D you have a friend or acquaintance you could go to a workshop/class with at least one time?

I would also talk to the demo/host. I am sure she/he would not want you to stop coming because you felt 'left out'. One of the SU demo workshops I go to often has people that work together but they are friendly so I don't feel uncomfortable. A shop where I take classes every now and then has people that take almost every class that is given but the way the work area is set up, everyone has to share products so you have to say"please' and 'thank you' so that breaks the ice.

Hope you continue to go to sessions and find a group or shop where you will enjoy learning or relearning technique for this craft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Were the two ladies friendly with each other or just generally not that communicative? You may have struck unlucky and been seated with people who were either very shy or felt they needed all their concentration on getting their stuff made.

I'd chat to the host about it. I guess you don't have to "point the finger" if you feel uncomfortable about that, just tell her that as the newbie you feel it's a bit difficult to feel at home and see if she has anything useful to offer.

Best of luck!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Please say something to the organizer. I'm betting she can help you out with meeting some friendlier stamping friends.

I know I would want to know.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry hear this. but it does happen.

When I was looking for stampers/scrappers to hang out with locally. I found this too.

But I found a very loving group that I've been involved for 6 years now.

I found them through a meet up group. I was only looking for other's to get together with.

Try looking there.

Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup Do a search in your area.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

It was the opposite of them being quiet, basically talked around/through me and they were the loudest. I'll talk to the demo about being the newbie- HA!
Cherie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I've had a similar experience, but it was because they all work together and I was the outsider. They were having conversations about stuff that happened at work, people they work with, etc.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Sorry that happened to you...

I know the feeling - when I first started attending the Friday classes at my LSS (local stamp store), I was not only the youngest by a couple of decades, but also new to the group. 6 months later, I am still the youngest, but I sit with a couple of ladies who make me laugh, and we are friendly. I don't sit at the "other" table - they all know each other and actually tend to "forget" to share supplies. It took me awhile to feel settled into this group, but I enjoy it now. But we meet every week, and it's only for 45 minutes.

I would definitely talk to the demo. I'd also see if any of your friends know of a demo, or friend of a friend kind of a thing. Let your friends know you are looking into this - as president of a MOMS club, I would think someone would be into stamping or would know someone who is. Maybe you could bring a friend to a workshop, too. That way, you can sit with the rude blabbermouths and have your own conversation!

Hope that helps.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I live in Denver, CO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes, sharing of supplies- what is the etiquette?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Darn, was hoping it was Missouri. I just started stamping and scrapbooking again after a few years. I got divorced and he has all my craft supplies, it has taken me this long to not be so sick about having to start all over to build up my supplies again. I don't know anybody where I am at either. You have a online friend if you need one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

A friend told me about the workshop group where I have been going lately. She was at a JoAnn/Michael's and just started talking with some ladies in the papercrafting aisle and that's how she found out about this SU demo. So there are quirky ways you might be able to find a group. Please keep looking and I am sure you will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobikerView Post
It was the opposite of them being quiet, basically talked around/through me and they were the loudest. I'll talk to the demo about being the newbie- HA!
Cherie
In that case definitely talk to the demo! Could you just sit yourself at the other table next time and see if those ladies make you more welcome?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp4funwithmeView Post
Darn, was hoping it was Missouri. I just started stamping and scrapbooking again after a few years. I got divorced and he has all my craft supplies, it has taken me this long to not be so sick about having to start all over to build up my supplies again. I don't know anybody where I am at either. You have a online friend if you need one
Hugs to you! I know that feeling of losing all your craft supplies and having to start over again. It's just the worst. Where are you in Missouri? I am in Missouri.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Check with your local library. I go to a library where they have a craft weekend once a month. It is a four day event...Thurs thru Sunday. There are always demos there from SU and CTMH. It is larger so there are more people to meet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since you live in a large city, you may want to post here:

Splitcoaststampers Get It Together Forum - Card & Craft Meetups, Swaps, Events & More

Maybe you can find others from SCS who are looking for a group to stamp with! Also, you can try local stamp/scrap stores -- there's one here that has tables set up for people to come in and work on their projects, has events scheduled, etc. There may be an Archivers near you, too, where you can come to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

That has happened to me sometimes too. I've been with the same demo for about 5 years now. At one time I joined a monthly club. I couldn't afford to continue but my demo has always had the policy that anyone can come to the "club meetings" and do the projects but you just have to pay for her time and her supplies. That is a more affordable option for me so I have been doing that for the last 4 years.

Sometimes I go when "my" old club used to meet, but over the years other members have come and gone. But mostly the gals are friendly and we chat. However; if I go when one of her other clubs are meeting, they seem to be more of a "co-workers" type group or all their kids go to the same school...I've had the exact same experience. Being at a table with the LOUDEST women who talked around and through me and didn't even acknowledge my presence.

I guess because I've been going to this demo's house for so many years, I feel at home whether the other group members include me in their conversations or not. But if you are going with the express purpose of meeting and making friends with fellow stampers an experience like that would be disheartening. I would definitely talk to the demo. Ask if you can sit with the other ladies next time or see if there is an entirely different group get together that you can come "visit".

As for the sharing of supplies. It kind of differs depending on the demo. For her clubs, my demo is happy to provide all supplies, even adhesive. Some gals have started bringing their own adhesive just to speed things up so they don't have to wait for the whole table to use the one tape runner. They will usually have their name on it somewhere though. If you're unsure next time you could ask them to pass it to you something like this: "could you pass me the tape runner or is that one your own personal one from home"?

Easiest thing to do is ask about the supplies when you are talking to the demo about your unfortunate experience last time. Having been a demo for awhile I would want to know if someone had felt "left out" at an event at my house. If this is one of her regular clubs, perhaps the club people themselves prefer not to have "visitors". Maybe the demo needs to talk to this group of ladies and find out. Some clubs may get together because a bunch of co-workers are all interested and they look at this as their "girls night out" time, cut loose from their husbands, kids and other responsibilities and they just want to be able to hang with each other and gossip. I'm not saying that's a good excuse to IGNORE someone. After all; in general the great thing about this craft is USUALLY how friendly and welcoming most crafters are!!

Good luck! Don't give up. You will find a group of gals to share this hobby with, I'm sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't talk to the demo. I'd try a new demo and keep moving on.

Had a similar situation where the "Stamp Club" included 2 women who dominated, were annoying and frankly, each needed a therapist, not a stamp club. If the demo doesn't see this, then it isn't your job to "fix." It won't be fixed. Move on.

To demos: This is why I won't join a "Monthly Stamp Club." I won't spend a night a month with high-maintenance people. Life is short. And, it just isn't frankly that fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I know sometimes it may time. Maybe give it another chance. See what happend the 2nd time. Sometimes it was them having a bad day and not feeling socialable. If you still get the same feeling the 2nd time try talking to the demonstractor or finding another group. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #21  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I go to ckc conventions by myself all the time, I have always shared a table with people that came together and always been drawn into their conversations, by the end I have had a table of new friends. I have often kept in touch and done other activities with them.
Now I have gone to a local crop alone and sat with people that wouldn't give me the time of day, they also came together, but apparently don't have the desire for a new friend, I have stopped going to that one, I don't have someone nearby to go with and have gone several years and always end up with the same situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

This thread is a good illustration of another reason why I prefer to stay at home when I stamp/craft. Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but I don't have the patience to deal with high-maintenance people unless I've known them for a reeeeally long time, and then I still have the option to not answer the phone (Just kidding...kinda...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 784 Likes on 320 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobikerView Post
I live in Denver, CO
Denver, GASP!
My only child just moved there last year and I want to move there as soon as DH retires in a couple years.

I was thinking that such a big city would be so much fun to find new stamping friends! Of course DH is not quite so ready to move grrrr. He will learn that I am the REAL boss lol!!!

Definitely talk to the hostess. I'm a Demo and I would want to know. I'd just make sure to place you with some more friendly people the next time, or rearrange the seating area.

I am just starting up a stamping group at my church. We're going to donate cards to Cancer society, send to shut-ins, sell them at our craft fair etc. Perhaps something like that would work for you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

people are people I guess, and stuck up ones are the worst! I'm sure you will find lots for friends here! happy stamping!
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wish you lived here in Vegas.....our group would welcome you. We always have such a good time and we all get along famously.
Good luck in your search. Dont give up.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
This thread is a good illustration of another reason why I prefer to stay at home when I stamp/craft. Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but I don't have the patience to deal with high-maintenance people unless I've known them for a reeeeally long time, and then I still have the option to not answer the phone (Just kidding...kinda...)
I don't think it's old age. I don't have the patience to deal with high maintenance people even if I know them for a really long time, lol. Last year I said no more high maintenance people. I have never been happier. I won't even answer the phone. They get bored calling and find a new audience.

I would love to find a stamping group. I am so shy. Even online it takes me awhile to start feeling comfortable to post at a forum. Though I am shy I am not unfriendly. If I was placed at an unwelcoming table I would probably get a complex.

I know if I was in the position to set up groups at a table. I would think of the personalities of my stampers. Even if somebody new came in I think first impressions would give you a good feel of where she/he would feel most comfortable. If I made a mistake and set a new stamper at a table that wasn't comfortable for her. I would want her to tell me. I would really want to fix it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I just want to say I'm sorry that happened to you. That happened to me recently, not with stamping, but at a baking class at a local gourmet store. We had to work in groups, and 2 women who came together basically hogged the tools and ingredients and took over. We were piping macarons and a few people never got the chance to try, they wouldn't give up the piping bag!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I personally would talk to the demo and give it another try, and if it is no better then try and find somewhere else.

I am a no drama kinda girl...dont want to hear it, dont want to deal with it, and dont want to watch it..which is why I dont do well in groups for long periods of time. I like people, I like talking to people but I also enjoy my alone time, and crafting is something I do best alone.:o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry you had an uncomfortable experience. They probably know each other well and just started visiting etc. Can you bring someone with you the next time? I know when I go to classes I don't always know someone, and am not outgoing, but I kind of like having the time to myself which I don't get often. Speak with the hostess and she will make sure she includes you etc. Keep at it, it is a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree, give it a second try and if it still doesn't feel right, find another demo. It took me about 8 years to find the right demo and group for me. I just joined them a few months ago and while I don't spend time with the group outside of stamp club, I was made to feel welcome immediately and everyone has been friendly. And I love my demo. Hi Gail!
Reply With Quote Likes