Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I need advice on switching acrylic stamps over to wood

I know I am probably the only one who doesn't care for acrylic stamps. I like the stampin up ones because they use the red rubber and they are cheaper than wooden. But I have a hard time keeping them on my block and then cleaning them after.
I want to switch them over to wooden. My DH will cut some blocks but what adhesive should I use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure that it is a good idea to use adhesive on the acrylic (clear) stamps. I'd be worried about a possible chemical reaction destroying the acrylic.

Are you talking instead about cling stamps (rubber with the foam on the back)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Rubber cement would be my choice, for the red rubber stamps. But I'm not sure what I'd use for the clear polymer stamps.
You can get Rubber Cement at office supply stores.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne

Last edited by jemur; 02-21-2013 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: more info
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default switching stamps to wooden

I'm talking about both styles of the acrylic, i mostly use the stampin up so i guess that is the one i would want to switch over. rubber cement is a good idea. I'll test the other stamps before i actually glue them.

Do either of you have any ideas to make mine stick better? I think part of it is that the design side that i have to stick onn doesn't always stick right sometimes it bends the stamp and it doesn't work to peel sticker off it tears the material, and so i try to bend it slightly the other way before i get it on the block.
also any hints with cleaning them, since they don't stick well on the block i end up taking them off the block and holding them to try to clean them, i'm afraid i'm either going to ruin them or not use them because of the hassle.
I really like the images so i want to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseyr61View Post
I'm talking about both styles of the acrylic, i mostly use the stampin up so i guess that is the one i would want to switch over. rubber cement is a good idea. I'll test the other stamps before i actually glue them.

Do either of you have any ideas to make mine stick better? I think part of it is that the design side that i have to stick onn doesn't always stick right sometimes it bends the stamp and it doesn't work to peel sticker off it tears the material, and so i try to bend it slightly the other way before i get it on the block.
also any hints with cleaning them, since they don't stick well on the block i end up taking them off the block and holding them to try to clean them, i'm afraid i'm either going to ruin them or not use them because of the hassle.
I really like the images so i want to use them.
I do not use the sticker images on the cling mount stamps from Stampin' Up, as they wont stick to my block or the clear cases well. I just leave off the image. It's not like it really helps you line up the stamp anyway, unless you were to stick the image on perfectly aligned with the stamp side. If you leave off the stickers (and you can remove them, they might leave a little sticky residue but hey, that'll help stick to your block better anyway), the cling stamps will hold really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default leave off sticker

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswhittaker23View Post
I do not use the sticker images on the cling mount stamps from Stampin' Up, as they wont stick to my block or the clear cases well. I just leave off the image. It's not like it really helps you line up the stamp anyway, unless you were to stick the image on perfectly aligned with the stamp side. If you leave off the stickers (and you can remove them, they might leave a little sticky residue but hey, that'll help stick to your block better anyway), the cling stamps will hold really well.
perfect , that works for me, thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Because of the many posts I read regarding the SU cling stamps not clinging to the blocks; I leave the sticker off most of mine. For some strange reason though, there are a few I've put the stickers on. I guess I figured, "how bad can it be"?

They really don't cling as well as the bare foam. My solution is to put just a teensy bit of my dot tape runner on the back of the stamp and press firmly into the block. It sticks well while I stamp, and while I clean it on the stamp scrubber but will still peel off the block no problem.

Before putting it back in the case; I use my finger and rub off as much of the adhesive as possible. It stays a little "sticky" but that's okay; it helps it stay put in the case and the next time I stamp. So far I have not had any problems from adding a little dot tape runner on these stamps. But I am very careful to use as LITTLE as possible...barely 1/4" of a little spot. Don't over do it!

Any left over sticky residue on my blocks cleans off with a little rubbing. Just the oil from my fingertips seems to be enough to help get rid of the left over tape.

As for trying to permanently mount any CLEAR stamps to a wood block?? I have no advice. It doesn't seem like a good idea overall. I fear any chemical you might use to bond the clear stamp to the wood will just end up eating through the stamp over time.

Last edited by cobby; 02-21-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default adhesive

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
In general I leave the image sticker off the back of my Stampin' Up cling mount stamps as well. I read enough posts out here about the difficulty people were having with them sticking to the blocks before I ever purchased a set. I decided I didn't want the hassle of them falling off the blocks suddenly.

Over time I've put the stickers on a few sets just to see for myself. They really don't cling as well as the bare foam. My solution is to put just a teensy bit of my dot tape runner on the back of the stamp and press firmly into the block. It sticks well while I stamp, and while I clean it on the stamp scrubber but will still peel off the block no problem.

Before putting it back in the case; I use my finger and rub off as much of the adhesive as possible. It stays a little "sticky" but that's okay; it helps it stay put in the case and the next time I stamp. So far I have not had any problems from adding a little dot tape runner on these stamps. But I am very careful to use as LITTLE as possible...barely 1/4" of a little spot. Don't over do it!

As for trying to permanently mount any CLEAR stamps to a wood block?? I have no advice. It doesn't seem like a good idea overall. I fear any chemical you might use to bond the clear stamp to the wood will just end up eating through the stamp over time.
i'll try that for the ones i have with the sticker on if i can't get the sticker off. thanks, i wondered the same thing with the chemicals. I wonder if stampin up knows this is such a problem?

thanks for everyones advice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

You might call SU and see what they recommend. I'm sure they have something they'd recommend that wouldn't harm your stamps. Also, you might check on here and see if someone on here has blocks from when they unmounted that they would part with to save a lot of time & energy cutting and sanding blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Stampin' Up sells guides for the blocks. They are a vinyl cling sheet you put on the acrylic block and if you press the clear mount stamp onto the guide, it sticks better.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

jemur, I did not know that SUp sells that item. I have an assorted array of blocks and I read on SCS recently that someone buys the clear vinyl (like for table covers etc.), cuts it to the size of the block and sticks it on the block. It makes the blocks much easier to use. Since I've done that, my SUp clear mount stamps stay on my block much better and even through the cleaning process. It only cost less than 75 cents to do all of them with plenty left over for a friend.
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know how you feel about the stamps not sticking to the acrylic blocks! That's why I use Aleene's Tack It Over and Over on them. I still apply the stickers but then I apply a thin layer of the Tack it on top and let it dry. Now I have no problems with my stamps not sticking to the acrylic blocks and I can still see what stamp I'm using
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I know how you feel about the stamps not sticking to the acrylic blocks! That's why I use Aleene's Tack It Over and Over on them. I still apply the stickers but then I apply a thin layer of the Tack it on top and let it dry. Now I have no problems with my stamps not sticking to the acrylic blocks and I can still see what stamp I'm using
I trim the SU stickers a little around the edges before applying to the back of my stamp. Just 1/8" of an inch or so of exposed cling is sufficient to make the stamp stick really well to any clear blocks (as well as the DVD storage case)<o:p></o:p>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
that is a great idea i'll try that, thanks
Reply With Quote Likes