View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Makalah
Hardware Hotshot

I just joined in August. I haven't held classes, but have been able to meet my quarterly sales goals (it helps that I didn't have much SU before joining, so I was starting from scratch in some ways) thanks to some friends. I'd suggest having an open house if you can promote it a bit and have enough of an audience to participate - it will help with your first workshop sales as well as get your name out there. Finding new customers can be hard (I have 10 demos within 5 miles of me...).

Like others have said, don't feel you need to buy it all. Get some versatile images and a few sentiment sets, as welll as some dies or punches, considering what occasions you'll be creating for most (whether to demo or make and takes at an open house or to promote on your blog). If you're joining a team of demos, you may be able to do swaps with them, so each swap (monthly or quarterly perhaps) you're coming home with additional designs using products you didn't have to buy yourself, but can still display to customers.

Pick a good upline. My previous demo was a hobby demo, with no downline and wasn't in it to run it like a business, so I picked someone that I thought I could learn more from since I wanted to branch out beyond what my demo did. You want someone approachable and that will have time to answer questions. It may not be someone living down the street, but with enough online presence, you can still learn a lot and chitchat with other demos on FB groups, email, newsletters, blog hops, etc.

Give DBWS a try for the 2 months (and beyond if you can). Give MDS a try. Make invites to your open house or create a newsletter.

ps. not a do or don't, but Demo Support at SU is amazing. I have been impressed every time I've called.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!