View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
raquelita_uno
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so excited for you! Since you're looking for a career demonstratorship (as opposed to hobby) always keep that bottom line in the front of you mind.

It's been such a long time since I was a demonstrator, I'm not sure if the numbers are the same anymore but SU! mark up for demonstrators was/is only 20% so be really certain that when you do offers, you're boosting sales and not giving away all your profits. I made the mistake of often offering free shipping. That came straight out of my pocket and didn't give me chances to upsell. We crafters will spend what we plan on spending so no need to give away the farm so to speak. Also, if you're hoping to go full time, make sure to treat your demonstratorship like a business and dedicate time to it (phone calls, number crunching, research and development!)

Social media has REALLY helped my husband continue to expand his home business without sinking a lot of money into advertising. I carry a pack of handstamped thank you cards with me at all times and when I was a demo they had my contact info on the back. I would fill them out for hairdressers, waitstaff, pretty much anyone I came into contact with who was helpfull. Gave and got lots of smiles and got calls later on from people who had received my cards. I also agree with previous posters that offering classes is a great way to build a customer base and to suppliment that income. Plus it's so fun to play! I miss the teaching and showing new techniques more than anything.

Have fun and keep us posted on how it's going.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!