Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for stamping solid images

I started stamping again and need a few suggestions about trying to get a crisp image with solid-image stamps. For example, I attached one of my v-day cards where some of the ink is missing (purple elephant). Is it my technique, paper, ink, etc? I used Georgia Pacific white (no ww on hand). My stamp pads may be a bit dry as the twins have used them for stacking and playing store but I used the Ink refresher by Inkssesntials to try and revive them. Am in the process of getting reinkers for pads that aren't retired. I do stamp the pad on the stamp and huff, but with various results. I think I am out of practice! Thanks for any tips.
Cherie
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for stamping solid images-v-day.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

solid images can be difficult. To tell you the truth, i have the best luck when I use pigment ink rather than dye ink. However, a couple of things I do that work sometimes....
use an eraser on the rubber of the stamp to help remove any residue that may be on it, then clean it really well with stamp cleaner. Some people even use sand paper on the image to "ruff" it up a bit to hold the ink better.

If I don't have pygment ink in the color I want, I will sometimes cover the stamp with clear versamark in first, then the colored dye ink.

It does help to make sure the pad is nice and juicy too, so re-inking is a good idea. And although I know it can be hard on the pads, I sometimes slide the stamp back and forth on the pad to get it well covered, then tap it a couple times for good measure.

I hope you find something that works well for you - good luck!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Do you have any pigment ink pads? If so, try inking the stamp with pigment ink and stamp it. Clean the stamp with stamp cleaner. Then try stamping with your dye ink again. Sometimes there is manufacturing residue on stamps that interfer with uniform coverage with dye ink. I don't know why using pigment ink helps clean the stamp. I've found the pigment ink trick works better than stamp cleaner alone, no matter what type of cleaner I've used. Hope this helps.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Stampin Up has a sanding block that works well. Sometimes if you lightly sand the image it will hold the ink better.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I, too, find that pigment ink works best with solid image stamps. I recommend VersaFine for picking up fine details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

The tips regarding getting the ink to cover better are true. The versamark tip has worked well for me in the past. I have almost the full collection of SU dye ink ( I used to be a demo ) so I often want to use a specific color that I only have in dye ink not pigment.

The paper does matter. I have gotten the best results with solid images using SU Whisper White or Very Vanilla. They are ultra smooth and seem to produce the most solid, "solid" image. Any paper with a little texture or tooth will not give you as nice a result. Even using SU's Naturals Ivory or Naturals White gives me a splotchy result. If you don't have and don't want to buy SU's ultra smooth paper just look around for one that feels equally smooth and silky. I have some Georgia Pacific but don't like the quality and end up using it for "scratch" paper; while I'm trying to figure out a design layout or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with the comments from others that pigment inks or perhaps even re-inking your pads might help. That being said, I only have the classic inks and have been successful with stamping solid images. One tip that I learned (here on SCS, I think) is to stamp with foam (think fun foam or something similar) underneath your paper. I have found this method to be especially helpful when using clear acrylic stamps. Crossing my fingers that you find a solution that works for you.

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)

Last edited by anitabestampin; 02-16-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've had issues with solid images too. For those I use Versafine Onyx black. The other suggestion is embossing it in black. If I miss a spot, I use a fantastix, dip in in versamark and touch up the spots, then emboss again. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

The new SU ink pads are great for solid images. I've also had great success with liquid chalk and pigment ink (plus embossing powder).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

My top tip for solid images is to use the Stamp-a-ma-Jig or other positioner, and if necessary stamp twice, re-inking the stamp in between. Pigment inks, as has been said, are definitely better, but if I want a really saturated impression I sometimes do the double-stamping even with pigment inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Whether they are rubber or acrylic stamps makes a difference too. Acrylic/photoplymer stamps seem to do best with chalk inks, or Versafine. I did a try-out of various inks on solid image polymer stamps on my blog HERE .This used Neenah card by the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Another vote for the new firm foam pads from Stampin' Up! I was shocked at the difference I saw when stamping solid images. They're amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do not have any pigment ink (all dried out). I do have a stamp-a-ma-jig, so I could try the double stamping next time. I like that idea. I thought the paper mattered, too. I had to make about 40 valentines, so did not want to waste my WW cardstock (down to about 3 sheets have to get more) but I thought the Georgia Pacific was better than the Michael's or HL brand CS- did not stamp well at all.
Cherie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh goodness, this used to plague me all the time. It got to the point where I stopped buying solid images.

I did the versamark technique. I tried huffing. I tried sanding. I tried different paper.

I finally found two methods that work. Both have already been mentioned.

First, use a Stamp-a-ma-jig and stamp multiple times. This doesn't work with every image, but when it works, it works perfectly.

Second, the new SU foam pads seem to cover a lot better than the old pads. This card, using Dasher, is proof. I could never get that clean of an image of Dasher using the old pads.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for stamping solid images-20130120_094425-001.jpg  

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I had that problem too until I read this on OnyxXpressions, who has a selection of large stamps on their website. Solid-Stamps

I bought a several colored "stacks" of chalk ink at Michael's. If I'm using a large stamp in a card design I coordinate my colors around one of the colored chalk inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Whether they are rubber or acrylic stamps makes a difference too. Acrylic/photoplymer stamps seem to do best with chalk inks, or Versafine. I did a try-out of various inks on solid image polymer stamps on my blog HERE .This used Neenah card by the way.
Thanks for sharing your experiment. Good info.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
The other suggestion is embossing it in black. If I miss a spot, I use a fantastix, dip in in versamark and touch up the spots, then emboss again. Works like a charm.
Similar to this, when I'm using dye ink, I use a blender pen and some of the surrounding ink (or additional ink) to fill in any blank/lighter spots on my stamped image. I picked this up from a blogger and it works great with my solid stamps!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are not using a foam pad, rub the image in a circle and then tap it a couple of time on the pad.

Also, it helps to leave the inked stamp on the paper a bit longer so the ink can soak in.

I found that ink referesher really didn't do much good - it seemed to dilute the ink.

When I don't get a solid image, I use my blender to pick up some ink from the pad and touch it up. With a little practice, you can't tell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love the new firm foam Stampin' Up! ink pads. My solid images stamp so nicely with them. Using SU card stock will make a big difference when stamping solid images. Someone mentioned above about the sanding block you can use if needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another tip that helps if you are limited to resources on hand is to put a stiff foam pad under your stamping paper so that the paper has a little give to it as you are applying the ink covered stamp. This will help is there are any uneven areas on the surface of the stamp. I use my piercing mat.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have way more trouble with my solid stamps in the winter months. This may sound bizarre, but I huff my ink pad really well and then I huff my SU stamp really well to warm it up and add extra moisture. Then I twist the stamp back and forth a couple times on the pad, tap twice, and stamp. I get much better results. It has turned into quite a ritual. This is on the old style pad. I haven't used the new foam pads much and have not been too impressed with the difference so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
I have way more trouble with my solid stamps in the winter months. This may sound bizarre, but I huff my ink pad really well and then I huff my SU stamp really well to warm it up and add extra moisture. Then I twist the stamp back and forth a couple times on the pad, tap twice, and stamp. I get much better results. It has turned into quite a ritual. This is on the old style pad. I haven't used the new foam pads much and have not been too impressed with the difference so far.
Doesn't sound bizarre at all - the stamp is cold and hard so it doesn't leave a good impression. That's why it's important to store stamps away from the sun in closed containers. Sun and air dry out the stamps and then you have a hard piece of rubber that just won't ink up no matter what pad you use.

I always just shake my head when I see stampers displaying their stamps just sitting on a shelf. Unless they are using all those stamps on a regular basis, at some time the stamp will dry out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the new SU! ink pads are great for solid images. I'd always had trouble before. I also just dab a Fantastix in areas that aren't as good. I've found just tap, tap, tapping with it works better. If you swipe it, you'll usually see lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Two things that give me great results are: #1 - stamping with your card stock on a computer mouse pad - that "gives" just a little more, so the image transfer is often better. #2 Ink up your stamp well, lay it down (image facing up), and put your card stock to the stamp - this works really well if you're using larger images. It may not be the best for small images, as it's fairly easy to accidentally shift your card stock, but it's worth a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you all for the suggestions! Here's what helped- definitely the paper, ink, surface and practice. Just got some WW and compared to the Georgia Pacific and WW was much more crisp. Got a new Real Red ink pad- awesome, hardly any missed spots. Put down a magazine for cushion. Have been practicing and realized if you have the right equipment, you're more apt to succeed in the look you're going for. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes