Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store your ideas???

Yeah, you read that correctly. lol I've been watching YouTube videos & perusing forums here and my brain is awash with ideas and techniques and things I really, really, really want to try.

So my question is, how do you organize the various techniques, tips, tricks you've learned along the way? Or does anyone even do that. I've come across a couple of techniques along the way and think "yeah, I learned to do that years ago and forgot about it." So just looking for some thoughts & advice. Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pinterest (my electronic hoarding site) is what I use to save/sort cards & scrapbook pages to CASE and various tools & techniques. I can scan for ideas and inspiration and watch videos to learn new things, or jog my memory....without the clutter of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

That's a great question - Pinterest is the easiest for me. I just pin from the gallery onto boards I know I'll go back to when I'm feeling stampy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, another pinterest gal. It's easier for me to pin the idea and then go back to it and I can add notes in the comments section about what worked or didn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I've been bookmarking mine for years. Plus, if I get anywhere near Pinterest, I am there forever
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I download instructions (when they are non-video media) and leave them in my "Stamping" folder on my computer. If I want to try the technique, I'll print it out then, and see how it goes. I usually take the time to make notes as I do the technique.

So, then one of two things happens:

If the technique was successful and I would want to do it again, I save it along with the card instructions (see below).

If the technique was unsuccessful but I want to attempt it later, I leave it in a folder that has other ideas I want to try that lurks on my stamping table. If it was unsuccessful and I will never again attempt it, then I recycle the printout. (This rarely happens.)

I like to know how to make cards that I like. (Think workshops, etc.) So I type up the "essentials" and "instructions" and print that out, put it into a clear sheet protector along with the card. I save all the info in my "stamping" folder on my computer as well.
The sheet protector goes into the appropriate binder that also hangs out in my stamping room.

I know, it sounds really... uh, ****. I know. But I have friends who come over to make cards, and when I have the instructions typed out, it makes it REALLY easy for me. Oh, and yes, I try to be super-organized.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I just save a few extra special ones on my computer.
When I am looking for an idea I look in the Gallery here or on a couple of the blogs of my favorite designers
If I save most to the ones I see and really like when I need an idea I would spend all of my time looking at other peoples cards that I had saved and never get any cards made
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I used to bookmark websites and download other things to a folder on my computer. Now I have boards on Pinterest by subject. Example boards: Distress Inks, Copics, Photography, Punches, Techy stuff....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another Pinterest lover here. I used to print out/cut from magazines things I would like to try- but to be truthful, I rarely went back to the folders, unless I was adding to it! So now I have folders on my toolbars, for things like YouTube/techniques/tutorials and so on, and of course, Pinterest. No more physical paper to store or sort through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another Pinner here!! LOL!! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!

What I've noticed is that sometimes you run into a pin where the blog or post as been removed. For the tutorials that I really like, I print it to a pdf (Adobe) and save it to a jump drive specifically for card making. I like that I can take the jump drive from one computer to another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Pinterest.

I currently have boards for tutorials, punch ideas, stamp sets to buy, and generic cards. I will eventually split the cards inspiration board into additional categories (theme or stamp set) but for right now a single board works.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I have a idea smash book, and pintrest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #13  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm avoiding Pinterest, so I save things to folders on the computer. Organization isn't one of them, but I have various categories on there, and find it an easy way to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

If it is electronic I bookmark it. If, however, I have an idea or see color combinations I like I keep a smash book with them in it.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I save the really special ones to an "Ideas" folder on my computer desktop. That folder is subdivided into "masculine", "color", "holiday", "gifts", "templates", "sentiments", "ways to use" - you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Default Organizing ideas

I've saved jpegs of cards from the internet or scanned my own cards and then view them on the computer. I have placed class handouts, printouts, and pages from mags in sheet protectors in a binder.I have also copied & pasted ideas from the internet into Word or just typed up information and saved on the computer or printed & added to the binder. I also keep a "want list" and supplies inventory in Word. However, I have just recently purchased MS Office 2010 and it came with OneNote. I am really excited about its potential. I'm thinking that it may be a really good way for me to keep up with lots of useful info, including crafting. I don't have a smart phone (and won't be getting one anytime soon) so I can't use any of the various apps that sound interesting. Does anyone else use OneNote?
Stamper Dea

Insanity isn't nearly as much fun as I thought it would be. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a different system; other then just piniterestr and computer. I save my card ideas into small purse photo brochures, the $2.00 ones, according to different themes. I have embellishments, die cuts, emboss folders, glitter styles, punches, ribbon styles,sentiment styles, unique style cards, and to purchase ideas.These small picture holders do not take up much space and a easy to carry in a small container for easy access. I love color combinations on this site and the card ideas for those are in a 3 ring binder. I use pininterest or computer document folders for seasonal card ideas and techniques. One can never be organized enough, right, and don't want to slow down my computer with too much too loose, if it would crash

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"

Last edited by stampencamper; 02-02-2013 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

In my craft room I have three inspiration/ technique binders (Staples Better Binders in white): Card Making, Scrapbooking, Crafts. (They vary in size commensurate to their contents). Within each of those binders, I have tabs separating various categories: "Technique" "Layout to imitate" "Christmas" "Baby" "Birthday" "Project Life" "Journaling Themes" "Title Ideas" "Gifts to make" "Tags" "Mini Books" (the list goes on and on - use categories that make sense to you).

I keep a folder on my computer desktop called "Print Me." I use Pinterest, other browsing, etc. and even if I pin something, I still save the image in "print me." Periodically (no set schedule), I print the images in "print me" in wallet-size/ 4x6 size, etc. on regular printer paper. If it's a tutorial or full sheet of something, I print it on 8.5 x 11. If it's detail I need to see, I print it in 5x7, etc.

I cut up those printed wallet-sized prints. - whatever it was about that image that caused me to want it for reference, I put it in the appropriate binder/ category. I either hole punch it and insert it, slide it into a page protector (typically if it's from a magazine), or tape/ tape runner the cut-out image to a blank spot on the 8.5 x 11 pages within each section collage-style.

Sometimes when I'm at work I'll have an idea and sketch it on a post-it. Same thing applies. I bring it home and stick it in the binder.

So I don't have piles of inspiration magazines, files on my computer, print outs, a pinterest board, etc. I have three lovely neat and tidy binders that I can pull immediately when I'm in need of an idea/ inspiration.

And the key to the whole thing? DELETE the print me folder after you print! I have them in my binder, I don't need them on my computer. The only thing I save are digital elements/ templates that can be printed on cardstock, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iPhoto. It sat unused on my Mac for years until someone on this forum mentioned she used it, which piqued my curiosity. I went and played around with it and now I love it, and have tossed all my binders full of stuff that I never could organize in any useful way. In iPhoto, I can assign multiple keywords to every image and search on them.

I know Pinterest is great. My sister keeps inviting me to join. But I kind of fear it. It seems like something I could personally become very obsessed with, thus a big time drain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
iPhoto. It sat unused on my Mac for years until someone on this forum mentioned she used it, which piqued my curiosity. I went and played around with it and now I love it, and have tossed all my binders full of stuff that I never could organize in any useful way. In iPhoto, I can assign multiple keywords to every image and search on them.

I know Pinterest is great. My sister keeps inviting me to join. But I kind of fear it. It seems like something I could personally become very obsessed with, thus a big time drain.
You're not kidding!! I resisted Pinterest for a long time and then finally gave in. I'm totally addicted to pinning!!!! House chores go by the wayside for "PIN" time. YIKES!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure I would be in the same boat. Worse, creating time would fall by the wayside. As it is, I find myself Google-Imaging stamps, stamp sets and techniques for way too long some days. I am everlastingly grateful to the forum member who turned me on to Google Images, but she also unknowingly created a monster of sorts ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes