Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Overwhelmed-Where to Start (Which stamps, tools, cardstock etc)

I am brand new to scrapbooking and stamping. I know that everyone needs a trimmer, cardstock, stamps, ink, an album etc. After those obvious basic things, this is what I want to know:

1-What are the most popular stamp companies right now?
3-What are the top ten intermediate things I need to makes cards or scrapbook? For example, extra fine glitter (okay what brand?), distress inks (okay what two to get first?)
4-Essentially I am wondering what the most used and most popular tools and brands are now a days. Heres another example: I have some nestabilities (I think they are called) but should I have got one certain shape first? Like I have the circles but maybe for cards and scrapping I should have got the ovals? What do you guys use most often?
5-Don't bother with the die cutters I have a Silhoutte and a big shot (just got this one). So this category is covered.
I guess my question could also be asked as: What are the tools and: confused: brands, you use most often, what can't you live without. (sorry long winded).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile newbie products

I'll take a stab at this one.

1. Stamp companies: There are lots and it depends on your style and intentions. I like to color and am traditional, so the Northwoods Designs and appeal to me. But, I also like some of the SU and CTMH stamps. I'm just not into the doodlie type designs.

I'd pick up an alphabet and numbers set that you like in upper and lower case. Maybe in both a large and small size. Also, a couple of sets that cover all the basic sentiments, i.e. Thank You, In Sympathy, Happy Birthday, etc.

2. For glitter, try out some basic Stickles. I find that if you stick with the Diamond glitter it will pick up the other colors you are using. Or, go with your favorite colors. If you are doing a bunch of Xmas cards you might want seasonal colors.

For distress inks, I'd start with one of the basic brownish colors to use for giving that antique look to edges. You can use the distress markers the same way you use the pads, so pick those up in lesser used colors where you won't mind coloring on the stamp.

get a good black pad and a good white opaque pad. Picking up the $1 ink pads in a variety of colors won't hurt. I've read here that their white ink is quite good. It must be because I can't find one anywhere.

I'd also recommend a good pair of tiny, fine cutting scissors like Cutterbee, a bone folder and perhaps the scoring board. Mine is Martha Steward and I like it. An ultra-fine black marker, some foam sticky dots, ribbon, a good ruler (partial to Tim Holtz), multi-purpose embellishments (pearls, jewels can be colored with Sharpies). I really like the 6x6 paper pads for making cards because I'm partial to PP and these are scaled down designs that "fit" better for a card. Also a corner rounder...you use it for cards and scrapbooking.

Perhaps some basic punches if you won't be using your cutter. I like flower punches, scalloped circle, square and circles in various sizes.

You can find some great stuff for sale her on the Buy/Sell boards and of couse there's ebay!

Good luck and have fun.
Mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I neglected to mention that for scrapbooking, start with a 12x12 3-ring binder style album. Much easier to load and arrange your pages. I'd also give serious consideration to buying Stacy Julian's book(s) "Photo Freedom" or taking her class on it. Do it before you get hooked into chronological scrapbooking. She gives you a whole organizational system (digital and hard copy photos) that will help you scrap your memories in a way to take advantage of all your photos and memories and not be bound by time. Really frees you from the "box", so thinking outside of it is easy!
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink

Wow you have a Silhouette already! Good start! I would definately think about all of the above things listed, but I would add Herma Dotto repostionable tape runner. It is a permanent tape after a little while, so you have some play room to move things and adjust before it is set in stone so to speak.
As far as what stamps and items that you need, surf the Splitcoast gallery and see what you like and get what you need from what you see on a project that you love. It is always easy to grow your supplies from what you are attracted to and love. As far as a personal favorite on a tool, I might ask about the pros and cons. There are always the gotta have it things we want, but they are just a waste of money in the end.
One thing that I know is hard to find is a good paper cutter that isn't off, or a little crooked. I use my Silhoutte for the matting on my cards and my card base, that way I know if something is crooked.. it's me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say spend some time looking at the online stamp catalogues for all the different companies, and get an idea of the (main) style you like. I second the sets of sentiment stamps too-they're so useful.I would recommend getting youself a scoreboard- something like The Hougie board, with many score lines on it. It gives you the freedom to fold your own card, rather than having to buy them prefolded. A good black inkpad or two- maybe an Archival black, and a Staz-on should cover most needs. I'd go for the Vintage Photo & Tea Dye Distress inks first. A heat gun, absolute must, for so many things. It really will depend on what your 'style' is after that- maybe ribbon, twine etc for embellishing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

My thought is to find someone nearby who can help you through some of the selections. I know when I started stamping and scrapping, I bought some random products because they were readily available and "deals" since I could shop with coupons. Well, those deals turned out to be not so much as many of the items sat for years (some still sitting and some have finally left the house).

I didn't know the difference between dye and pigment inks, which adhesive to use for what, how to pick a good scrapbook or...so many other things. When I met someone who knew something about the products, I found it so much easier to make better selections. Not that I don't buy an occasional dud still. LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Stamp Companies- I don't have a favorite. I buy what fits my personality. All my stamps are a bit quirky. I have learned over the years you can go to the hot stamp companies but you will always reach for your favorites in the end.

Glitter- I love it! No favorite brands. I buy what I like.

Distress Inks- I am not one of the DI girls. I have one reinker. I love what everyone does with the DI's but I have a more Kawaii style. I am no help there. Sorry.

Black Ink- Versafine Black Ink. Memento if your going to use alcohol markers like Copics, StazOn is your going to stamp on other materials that is not paper, Brilliance Black for vellum,

I love Studio G's white ink. That is the dollar bin white ink. It's absolutely stunning.

Other tools- MicroTip scissors, self healing mat, double sided tape, glue pen, good white glue like Scotch Quick Dry, ruler,and baby wipes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Before you buy too many stamps I would recommend only buying a few and deciding what "type" of stamps are for you. There are three main types of stamps 1) rubber mounted on wood 2) rubber cling to use on a clear block 3) photopolymer clear to use with a clear block. Hero Arts is the company that comes to mind that sells all three of these types of stamps.

If I were just starting out I would first decide what type of stamps I prefer. And with that there are tools that are recommended to use with that type. For example if you are using rubber (wood or cling) you would probably want a "Stamp-a-ma-jig" for placement of the image when you need to stamp exact. Depending on the type of stamp you prefer there are different inks that works best on certain types of stamps.

Also as far as the third type of clear stamps, photopolymer is the type I am talking about. If you purchase inexpensive clear ones out of the $1 bin you will most likely not get great results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Heart

Thanks so much everyone for all your tips! I'm not sure if I'm not more overwhelmed now! But excited for all the possibilities. I said I had a Silhoutte but I'm afraid it's the originial one not the cameo one. ( ) but it's okay I have the most recent software for it. I can learn on this one and see how much use it will get. Then I'll decide if I need the new one.

I will start looking in the galleries for inspiration and what to start putting on my wish list and shopping list. ;)

As for stamps I want to go with the clear unmounted ones. I have heard that the SU blocks are the best is that true? How do I know if I have one of those polymer kinds of stamps?

Also what card stock should I start with? What is easily available in Canada?

I have no clue right now what my style might be but I will note down what types of cards I am attracted to in the gallery and I guess that is what my style would be.

I have 4 brand new post type sb albums. Why should I have a binder style? Is that the most popular now? I bought the other ones about 10 years ago when I first heard about sb but I never started doing it. It felt too intimidating. I like the idea of cards-quick and easy and way nicer than anything you could buy now a days.

I have some bee sb scissors, and a fiskars cutter. I have one of the tape things that draws out a line of tape and I have some tombo adhesive (liquid). I want some of that new fine glitter-what is the best brand?

In the new year I am going to take a class for those alcohol markers-copic they are called. There are even many brands of those as well so that's also confusing.

Where do you guys buy the white studio g ink? In the dollar bin at what store? I live in Canada.

I guess I can also find out who my SU rep is in my town. I can start with some of those stamps?

Thanks again for all your help. I am going to Michaels today with my 40% off coupon!!!! I think I will get that Martha Stewart folding guide thingy.(you need that for cards right?)

Last edited by ginamm; 12-18-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: add spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

What about taking a few classes and getting to know "your style?" This way you can try different products and see what appeals to you and get the feel of the way different brands work.

Also, youtube.com has some wonderful videos on just about anything you could imagine, and the more popular ones make product suggestions as well. Good luck and most of all have FUN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I'd say spend some time looking at the online stamp catalogues for all the different companies, and get an idea of the (main) style you like.
ITA with this. What is your style--vintage, cute, eclectic? Start some of the member companies here and take a look at what they have. Maybe start with a basic set, like birthday, first.

Another tip: And don't just go out and buy anything and everything! I did this at first and soon had a lot of stuff I never used. :-/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Hi,
I'll offer my take once again and put my answers under your specific questions.

As for stamps I want to go with the clear unmounted ones. I have heard that the SU blocks are the best is that true? How do I know if I have one of those polymer kinds of stamps?
I wouldn't limit yourself to one or the other. I started out with a preference for CTMH acrylic, but have since learned that there are some special attributes to rubber stamps in the fine details, such as old PSX Botanical stamps. I think you just have to try it out and find what you like both in design and composition.

Also what card stock should I start with? What is easily available in Canada?
I don't know what's available in Canada, but I imagine you can get Basic Grey, Bazzill Basics and perhaps American Crafts. If you have Wal-Mart, folks here seem to like the white card stock from Georgia-Pacific. That'll be good if you plan to use white as your base page/card all the time. For me, in the beginning I'd stick with white, craft and black as your base page and build from there.

I have no clue right now what my style might be but I will note down what types of cards I am attracted to in the gallery and I guess that is what my style would be.

I have 4 brand new post type sb albums. Why should I have a binder style? Is that the most popular now? I bought the other ones about 10 years ago when I first heard about sb but I never started doing it. It felt too intimidating. I like the idea of cards-quick and easy and way nicer than anything you could buy now a days.

I started out with CM albums and to this date can't get those straps hinged correctly. The nice thing about the 3-ring binders is that they'll lay flat and it's easy to rearrange pages. There are also lots of different kinds of page protectors that are sold so you can even add and simplify your layouts.

I have some bee sb scissors, and a fiskars cutter. I have one of the tape things that draws out a line of tape and I have some tombo adhesive (liquid). I want some of that new fine glitter-what is the best brand? I don't use fine glitter, only the Stickles glitter glue.

In the new year I am going to take a class for those alcohol markers-copic they are called. There are even many brands of those as well so that's also confusing.
I'm just starting with the coloring and the copics are too $$$ for me. I've bought the Spectrum Noir markers with coupons and they're at low at $6.40 for six. Zig Curecolor, Bic Mark-Its and Sharpie are other sources. You can get a 36 pack of Bics for under $20 and they work quite well. I have them and like them a lot.

Where do you guys buy the white studio g ink? In the dollar bin at what store? I live in Canada.
Here in the US you can buy the $1 ink cubes in Michaels, AC MOore, etc. Having said that, I've not found a white one yet!

I guess I can also find out who my SU rep is in my town. I can start with some of those stamps?
Start with what you like.
Thanks again for all your help. I am going to Michaels today with my 40% off coupon!!!! I think I will get that Martha Stewart folding guide thingy.(you need that for cards right?)
I really like my MS scoring board. The other item worth having is a craft mat made by Bazzill or Inkessentials and you can use coupons on them. Some folks here have been lucky in getting silicon mats for less, but I couldn't find them in my area.

There's another think I have in mind, but you'd have to PM me for it as I don't want to violate posting rules. Last, try to find or make a friend with someone who does papercrafting. In my experiences women are really good about sharing supplies, tips and techniques. That's how I got started. If you are at all near Novi, Michigan and can make the trip there for the annual Scrap Conference, I've heard it's the best one in the country. Those types of conferences are a lot of fun and a great learning experience. Start saving now, because its hard to resist all the goodies sold by the vendors.

have fun!
MOB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too have the original Silhouette, and it still works fine- I think its possibly heading towards its tenth birthday! I think the main benefit of the new Cameo is that it cuts much thicker materials, but, that said, there are still a lot of posts about poor quality cuts, AND the sky-high price of having to buy the whole blade housing, not just a replacement blade, so I am totally with you on this, mine won't get replaced until it dies! You can get generic blades for the old ones on e-bay, really cheap, thats where I get mine. E-bay is great for building your stamp collection too!
Another good source for ideas/ getting to know your style, is the members blogs- most people have a blog link at the bottom of their post, and pretty much everyone puts up little tutorials, ideas, tips & tricks they have discovered- I have learned all sorts of stuff this way. Silicone mats- have a look in the baking section of your local store, and dollar stores. I got myself a few from a Pound store here in the UK,meant for lining baking trays, but a silicone mat is a silicone mat,right? in fact dollar stores are always well worth a visit, you'd be amazed at what you can pick up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Long post alert!

ginamn- No crying about owning the original Silhouette. I think your lucky. I miss mine terribly. I have become more disenchanted every day with the Cameo. The little Silhouette was a workhorse and a beautiful machine.

I can't help with the SU blocks. I heard ergonomically they are really nice. Michael's has some nice blocks too. I prefer the Fiskars Stamp Press and clear blocks with handles. The big thing about your stamping blocks it has to feel comfortable in your hand. Everyone might rave about the perfect block but in the end if it doesn't feel comfortable you won't enjoy your stamping time.

No advice on paper suppliers in Canada. :( I am sorry. I love art paper to stamp on. That's a pricey way to go. I use to buy lots of paper recommendations and was always unhappy. I think it's because I started stamping as an artist and I couldn't work around new types of paper. I was frustrating myself. I usually buy all my paper in the art department.

Now, I do love Recollections paper for my die cutting.

I also love George Pacific 110lb cardstock for card bases. You can buy this at WalMart in big packages for around $7 US price in the office supply section. That brand is a popular cardstock with the stamping crowd. A lot of just love it.

Style- I love Stampscapes. One of the reasons I got into stamping was for Stampscapes. I have been stamping for over six years now. Guess how many Stampscapes I have made? I made two, lol. I really thought this was going to be my style. I will forever love Stampscapes but once I started it just wasn't me. I also love the Copic look but I don't like using them in my card making. Your style will slowly come to you. I look at the gallery every day as my little mini art walk through but when I set down to stamp my creations never look anything like in the gallery. I tend to be quirky and use a lot of art techniques in my creations. I go the really simple cute route too.

I am not trying to get you to spend lots of money. I would change out your tape runner. Most tape runners the cards fall apart in time. Double sided tape or ATG tape is the best for card making. So many of us learned the hard way about tape runners. If your tape runner is made by Tombow or Duck then you have a good runner in your arsenal. Most brands do fall apart.

Fine Glitter- I use several different brands. I don't have a favorite.

Studio G white ink is found in Michael's and WalMart Dollar Tree bins. You can find it at JoAnn's at times too.

SU's stamps are not clear. CTMH does have clear stamps. I am not a SU only girl. I am an equal opportunity stamper. Which means I buy from everyone, lol. I really like a lot of SU's items. I really don't use a demo. I do highly recommend a demo if you have a good one near you. This will really help you sort out all the confusion about stamping. You can go to classes. You can buy your products without feeling cross-eyed at the craft store. You can learn about the new trends without being overwhelmed.

You don't need the Martha Stewart scoreboard for cards. You can use your trimmer and bone folder to score. The scoreboard is a very nice luxury. I do like mine. I use it for a multitude of techniques.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

When I started stamping, there weren't so many choices...I can only imagine how confusing it would be to start now, but then there weren't many sites like this one to get help either

Everyone has their "favorites". I'm partial to SU & Papertrey Ink. Their colors (cardstock, ink, ribbon, buttons) all match which I think makes projects look the most "professional" no matter what level you are at. The quality is superb which makes them easy to use. My suggestion would be to see if your local SU rep or scrapbook store has a class or workshop coming up - at least you can learn a technique or two and get the basics. Once you get started, you can build on what you decide you like to do and what products you want. It's easier to "source" an item or two than all of them at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Best tip, is not too buy something just because it's on clearance, sale, or because you have a coupon! When I buy stamps I try to buy something that I can use for more than one occasion, oh and most importantly, buy what you love, then you will use it often! Buy a good quality paper, even if you have to spend alittle bit more for it, you'll be glad you did. Ink pads, I try to buy my ink pads with the refill, cheaper then having to replace a dried out pad all the time.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with Kathy. I get most of my ideas from the workshops I attend. I think I would be lost without them. Can't go as often as I used to but every time I go, I get re-inspired. I also got hooked on Pinterest and have made cards I loved from there. Good luck and have fun looking around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't feel overwhelmed. Really, paper, ink and a stamp and you are set. The other stuff is personal preference. I LOVE distress inks, and have collected them all. The two colors I would recommend you get first would be Vintage Photo and Antique Linen. Both are great colors for aging papers, and "distressing". I only don't use one of the colors that often (milled lavender) but do use it from time to time. I love my scoreboard and my Tonic scissors.. Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Wink Good for You

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginammView Post
I am brand new to scrapbooking and stamping. I know that everyone needs a trimmer, cardstock, stamps, ink, an album etc. After those obvious basic things, this is what I want to know:

3-What are the top ten intermediate things I need to makes cards or scrapbook? For example, extra fine glitter (okay what brand?), distress inks (okay what two to get first?)
4-Essentially I am wondering what the most used and most popular tools and brands are now a days. Heres another example: I have some nestabilities (I think they are called) but should I have got one certain shape first? Like I have the circles but maybe for cards and scrapping I should have got the ovals? What do you guys use most often?
5-Don't bother with the die cutters I have a Silhoutte and a big shot (just got this one). So this category is covered.
I guess my question could also be asked as: What are the tools and: confused: brands, you use most often, what can't you live without. (sorry long winded).
You are lucky you found this site first to be able to ask those needed questions. I am new also since last year and I cant tell you how much money I wasted on the wrong inks, paper, tape, too large of dies for cards I wanted to make, and stamps that wont fit on a A2 card, Yikes. Good going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I love viva las Vegas stamps.. they are so unique and u can get wood mounted or with cushion and cling mount or even just the rubber stamp itself. They even have grab bags with a pound of rubber stamps just the rubber so you more for like $ 25 .

I also have recently fell in love with local king stamps .. they have matching spellbinder dies for their stamps.
But that being said I NEVER limit myself to one stamp company... I love different stuff. Unusual so if I like I buy... look on Craigslist and eBay too cause u can find good deal on big bundles to help u get started .. when I first started stamping I found a lady on Craigslist selling a ton of SU sets for one sum price.. best deal ever... I think I got like over 40 or 50 SETS for like 200. But those kinda deals are once in blue moon so if I hope if u do find them they aren't in my area. And u beat me to them.. lol jk. But I prefers the reg rubber to acrylic or clear stamps .. I just feel like I get crisper more detailed image.. and if u just cling mount then they don't take up too much space.. I love wood blocks but u can have real rubber and Still
use a clear block to save space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Default Overwhelmed- Where to Start

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingtwinkieView Post
I love viva las Vegas stamps.. they are so unique and u can get wood mounted or with cushion and cling mount or even just the rubber stamp itself. They even have grab bags with a pound of rubber stamps just the rubber so you more for like $ 25 .

I also have recently fell in love with local king stamps .. they have matching spellbinder dies for their stamps.
But that being said I NEVER limit myself to one stamp company... I love different stuff. Unusual so if I like I buy... look on Craigslist and eBay too cause u can find good deal on big bundles to help u get started .. when I first started stamping I found a lady on Craigslist selling a ton of SU sets for one sum price.. best deal ever... I think I got like over 40 or 50 SETS for like 200. But those kinda deals are once in blue moon so if I hope if u do find them they aren't in my area. And u beat me to them.. lol jk. But I prefers the reg rubber to acrylic or clear stamps .. I just feel like I get crisper more detailed image.. and if u just cling mount then they don't take up too much space.. I love wood blocks but u can have real rubber and Still
use a clear block to save space.
Be careful with ebay things. Ive got some good deals but....my very first purchase was Stampin Up Ink pads used that stated most of the 32 were juicy and few were just a little dry. Well wasnt a great deal at all. Being new and not knowing enough I bought them thinking it was a good start to my new craft only to get them try them with a stamp and you could hardly see the impression. A few had other colors like blue over the top of yellow, and glitter over the dark blue ink pad. I later read that Stampin Up discontinues ink pads and I figured I would never find reinkers, I was so depressed I just chalked it up to never used again on certain items. I complained to ebay but the snotty response from the seller left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I just dropped the whole thing. So be careful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmarielView Post
Be careful with ebay things. Ive got some good deals but....my very first purchase was Stampin Up Ink pads used that stated most of the 32 were juicy and few were just a little dry. Well wasnt a great deal at all. Being new and not knowing enough I bought them thinking it was a good start to my new craft only to get them try them with a stamp and you could hardly see the impression. A few had other colors like blue over the top of yellow, and glitter over the dark blue ink pad. I later read that Stampin Up discontinues ink pads and I figured I would never find reinkers, I was so depressed I just chalked it up to never used again on certain items. I complained to ebay but the snotty response from the seller left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I just dropped the whole thing. So be careful.
Oh I agree with that on things like ink pads. I guess I should have been more specific. But on stamps themselves I don't mind buying used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

The things I use pretty much every time I stamp (that you haven't mentioned you have)are:
- ATG gun. I used to use tombow (still do once in a while and DD uses it when she doesn't steal my ATG) but the ATG is much cheaper to refill. I think overstock.com has them right now very reasonably priced
- Stamps (duh). I have almost only SU, but that's what I started with. I don't have an issue with space, so I have all wood mount. I have purchased some individual ones as well, but only when they spoke to me. I tried clear ones but wasn't ever able to make them work well.
- Ink (of course). I have a lot of SU inks (again what I started with and it matches my cardstock easily) but prefer the Memento Tuxedo black to SU black. I also use my Versamark quite often for embossing or when I want a subtle look.
- Cardstock. I don't use a lot of DP except as an accent. I prefer the simpler look of solid colors. I have SU paper. I started by buying a set of multiple colors and then purchased more of the colors I used up. I still have some sheets that are from those original packages that aren't my taste.
- Embossing folders. I love them. I use them on probably 80% of my cards if not more. They're cheap enough, many are very versatile and really make an impact.
- Markers. I've just started using the Spectrum Noir markers (I can't afford the $6 per Copic, but can easily do $7 for a set of 6 with a coupon) and enjoy playing with those immensely.

When I started, I'd find a card I liked and try to copy it. It helped me to figure out what I like to do (embossing, coloring) and what I don't like to do (messy or fussy techniques). I also tried to find stamps and embellishments that would be versatile. I don't buy a lot of sets that are similar to what I have already. I don't need 10 flower sets. If I see a card with a rose set, I find something similar to use that I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recommend a good bone folder. Find one that I'd comfortable for you to hold.a good bone folder will help you get nice clean looking folds.

Eventually, like the OP suggested, get an ATG. It is an investment so would put off purchasing until you know that you like papercrafting. It is so much more economical than those little tape runners. The refills come in yards not inches/feet.

Another item, Dimensionals - foam tape to use to 'pop up' an embellishment/die cut/handcut image, etc. I buy a roll of foam tape and cut little pieces to fit the item. Foam tape isn't archival so only use it on cards not scrapbook pages.

I would sign up for a class or two or craft with someone who can help you learn different techniques, etc. It's really hard to suggest crafting items you will need because something I think is a 'have to have' may be something that another person has never heard of or would never use because our crafting style are so different. For example: a person my love Tim Holtz' style but I am not a fan of vintage/distressed/grunge.

Good luck on your paper crafting venture. This site is a good place to 'check' often because most everyone is nice and generous with hints and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Okay my go-to colors of Distress ink ( and I have all but the last 3 colors released last winter) are antique linen and old paper. ( I use the other colors also but, those are the most reached for)

I think popular stamps will not matter much if they do not function well. some stamps work better than others. ( some of the cling mounted stamps the stickers on them curl up and sometimes those stamps Pop off the blocks) I have a variety of clear blocks for unmounted stamp use and its nice if you can feel them first before you buy them because some of the bargain ones are sharp and or so thin they hurt your hands to use them. so I would agree that the SU brand is well made, so are the CTMH and there is a line sold at Micheals that has a grid on it and the edges of the blocks are wavy looking ( minds blank on the brand) but, those are also nice. ( I would avoid the blocks in the 1.00 bins because, they are not as thick as the better made blocks and so.)

glitter eh? well I love my stickles best (and I only buy the ranger brand the dollar bin ones the tips look like the holes are too big which will spurt and make a mess if so)
,but for dry glitter I have several brands and really its all OK and can be used different ways. what you want to get is an liquid glue to stick it with and or seal it with such as judi kins diamond glaze ( this is similar to the su minds blank what they call theirs but, its a clear glue that dries dimensional)

my thing I could not live with out is my Ott Light... ( you can try daylight lightbulbs in regular lamps if that is more affordable, but once you cave and get an Ottlight you probably will never go back ) watch for sales and coupons at the big chain stores for this. ( they are spendy )

hth,
I don't know what is available in Canada or how hard it is to find it but, I have flashed your thread at a friend of mine who should know those things.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #26  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Ginamm, there are some threads on this site that have info specifically for Canadians - some day you have time, just do a forum search for Canada/Canadians. There are quite a few of us around here!

One place you can start for basic white cardstock is actually Staples. The staples brand 110lb white cardstock is actually quite decent. It is NOT stiff enough for cardbases, but is excellent for practicing various techniques, and works fairly well as a layering weight cardstock. It is relatively inexpensive.
There are many amazing companies out there with awesome stamps & products. But if you are ordering from any US companies, make sure you read the fine print with regards to shipping prices.

Some Canadian places I have ordered from and had good experience with are:
Scrappin Great Deals
Ah! la carte
Treasured Memories Canada
And although I have not ordered from them personally, I have several friends who have - Scrapbooker's Paradise has an excellent reputation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I use embossing powder with the heating tool a lot. Also pretty edging punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

First off, welcome to the world of stamping and creating!!! You've gotten a lot of great ideas from my fellow crafters. I got started many years ago when we did embossing by the heat of a light bulb! Seriously, that's how I was shown how to heat it!!!! Stamps I bought then, are not my style now for sure.

I do enjoy the clear ones for easy placement, and baby wipes to clean up not only stamps but messes. Love coloring with my Copic markers, yet still pull out the watercolors, colored pencils, and chalks every so often. Could not live without my Fiskars trimmer for exact measurement of paper for backgrounds, and love my ATG gun.

But, as you can tell, my tastes, as like the ladies before me all differ. And, yours will too and that's the best part; it makes all of what we do unique and just a little different and you can figure what will work for you. That's what keeps all these companies in business is that not all of us go for the same products. Another thread you may want to read is something to the effect of "What purchase do you regret making?" and that could help deter you from buying something you see over and over under that thread! My fellow stampers may know the exact title.

Any way best of luck and have fun creating. It's been a hobby I have enjoyed so much and it's gotten me through happy times and some dark and sad times....... Making things for other can be very therapeutic!!! Look out though, friends will come to expect a handmade card from you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely get the SU clear blocks because they are the most comfortable with the groove all the way around! I prefer clear and cling stamps so I can see where I'm stamping. Amuse and SU have great sets of all occasion sentiments (Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, etc.). Definiately look through galleries to see what stamp styles you like before going crazy buying stamps just because they are on sale. Who will you make cards for? Do you want to color or just stamp? When you look at a stamp set try to figure out how versatile it is...for example, Can a simple line bird stamp be turned upside down to make waves?

For scissors I love my (Marvy?) Squishy scissors because they are so comfortable when I'm cutting paper. I have Tonic fabric scissors for cutting ribbon. I also use Tim Holtz's Tonic scissors for cutting everything else.

I most always use the Ranger craft sheet to cover my work area.

Love the Scor-Buddy because it's portable.

To try out inks buy the Memento Dew Drops in sets. MUST have the Tuxedo Black and Sepia Brown. If you want to try the Distress Inks, Vintage Photo and Broken China are great. VersaFine black and brown are great for detailed stamps.

If you want to get into Copics, check out Suzanne Dean's blog because she has great recommendations for the basic colors to buy and types of card stock to use.

I recommend a portable/folding paper trimmer...maybe the 6" Fiskars with folding arm.

I love SU dimensionals the best.

An ATG gun is a MUST as far as I'm concerned. I buy the 3M refills from Framers Supplies because I had problems with every roll of a big batch I bought from Tape Depot.

SU Word punch and Modern Label punch can be used for many cards. Oval and scalloped oval punches are great as well as all sizes of circles and squares.

Then there are embossing folders...Swiss dot, swirls, diamond plate....I could list tons of those!

For card stock I like white Cougar Super Smooth 80 and 100 lb., Curious Metallic 92# Cryogen, Galvanized, and Poison Ivory from CutCardStock.com and SU, Amuse, Gina K, and Papertrey Ink colors.

I suggest getting on email lists so you get coupons from online and big box stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's my tuppence -
Quote:

I don't know what the most popular stamp companies are. TBH I think the industry has moved away from what everyone thinks is popular to individual tastes. There are many brilliant, diverse companies - I own mostly High Hopes, Viva Las Vegastamps, GinaK Designs, Hero Arts, Inkadinkado, Stampabilities, Stampendous, Clear Dollar Stamps (which is now pretty much only digital), Technique Tuesday, Tim Holtz, Kitchen Sink Stamps. It is a wide range of "looks" TBH, but I tend to know which company I want to work with for what look I'm trying to achieve. I wouldn't use Tim Holtz on a children's cutsy card (or I would really be stretching myself to use Tim Holtz on a children's cutsy card LOL). So TBH I think you should look at what speaks to you and how much "coloring you want to do compared to stamping.
Quote:

1. Scorboard with bone folder - Scorpal, Scorbuddy, Martha Stewart,
  2. Self healing mat to work on - mine fits my Scorpal however I do have a larger sized one that I bought before that.
  3. Scissors - Fiskars, tonic, Dahl,
  4. Cutter - I know some accomplished card makers that use a Fiskers trimmer. I have a Carl trimmer and I covet a Genesis trimmer but also like the look of the Tonic ones.
  5. Glitter - I have Art Institute and Martha Stewart - love the Martha Stewart glue that comes with the glitter. I also use glitter glue from the children's craft section at Wal mart the irridescent is great.
  6. Cardstock - I use mainly Georgia Pacific, Recollections (black, red, kraft), and Neenah Classic Crest Solar White smooth (for copic coloring).
  7. Inks - My go to is Memento (because of copics). I bought the colors in small pads and re-inkers and them a big pad of black. Ranger has Archival Black Ink which is great for pencil work (not alcohol ink). Gina K is currently developing ink pads and they look great on her tutorials. I wasn't going to buy another brand of ink pad but I bet they are going to find a home in my craft room. If you like the ink pad source the re-inker ASAP because sometimes they can be difficult to find or the color slightly changes.
  8. Ruler- I got a Martha Stewart ruler (like a quilting one) but there are others like Tim Holtz. Great for seeing if things are square and lining layers up.
  9. Coloring medium - either nice pencils or alcohol markers - I have prismacolor pencils that I use with oderless mineral spirits but my coloring tool of choice is alcohol markers. I use Copics but if I were starting now I would take a serious look at Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers. I also have Bics but find the colors a bit too jarring for me.
  10. Tape - I use an ATG and get my tape from Framing Supplies. I love it. There is a learning curve but I find it far easier to use than the Duck double sided I was using.
Quote:

I tend to use my simpler nestabilities the most - so circles with scallop layering. I honestly use my circles/squares/rectangles/and the label dies that came with my grand calibre the most... Depending on what you want out nestabilities with you already having a Silhouette you may just want to focus on making "nestabilities" cuts out of that and using your big shot for embossing.

Quote:

You should be set on this. I'm a gluton for die cutters and also have the original Silhouette. (sorely tempted - if I didn't have a perfectly good cuttlebug and grand calibre this would be on my birthday wish list! Craft Tool Review: Ebosser By Craftwell - Craft Test Dummies | Craft Test Dummies) I will say this if you are already using your silhouette that I wouldn't bother with any alphabet stamps. There have been a couple of sets that have tempted me lately but they are more architectual and not something I can find and download and print.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*** Long Post Alert ***
It has been very interesting to see what items people believe are vital, and how helpful everyone is being.

I started scrapbooking years before I began stamping, so I bought things out of order.
For example, I just bought my new scor-pal this week. I have used a scoring blade on my paper cutter for years.

There are things you will use for one that you may/not use for the other... like I have never wanted any glitter in my scrapbooks (like glued in), and never used dimensional adhesives in my scrapbooks, and yet both are heavily used in cardmaking. And yet you will use a double sided adhesive constantly in both.

Also consider whether you want to pursue digital scrapping or digital card making. I have begun leaning more towards digital scrapping, but do cards in the traditional way.

Stamps: So you can get cheap clear blocks at Michael's or Joannes, but I wouldn't, because they are thin, and thus, more difficult to handle. I have some from Fiskars with a wavy edge and a grid, I have some from CTMH with the beveled edge similar to SU. TRY before you BUY!! Figure out what you like, then go about getting it. The same is true of stamps, stamp sets, stamp companies, etc. I began with all SU, but I have CTMH, I just bought some awesome Verve stamps, and I have many from a local stamp store that sells Memory Box, Penny Black, and a whole bunch of other designers as well as their own. Don't pigeonhole yourself with a specific company.

Top 10 items? I'd say adhesives - flat double sided and foam dimensionals. Creative Memories has revamped their adhesive runner and it is so smooth, I love it. But I have seen people use more brands and varieties than I could even begin to name. This is again an area in which to try before you buy. Find some workshops in your area, both at stores, local businesses, and demonstrators, and try out what they have. I love SU's foam dimensionals. I would add circle punches, and some kind of tag or greeting punch, and then something fun that reflects you (butterfly, flower, gears, banners, ???). I say circles because you can cut a square or rectangle. Also a corner rounder for the scrapping!

If you get into Copics, be prepared to spend $$$. I have just gotten into them, and am slowly piecing together a set with those 40% off coupons from Michael's. You will also need to get a Memento Black ink pad - Copics do not combine well with certain brands of ink pads, but memento is ok.

Find a good white cardstock. You can find cheap stuff, but it is lightweight, and will only be good for layering cards, not as a card base. When you are scrapping, consider the acidity and archival-ness of the paper - how long do you want these scrapbooks to last? Archival paper is pretty important in scrapping, much less so with cards.

Don't let your wallet burn a hole in your pocket. Take your time, do your research, and attend workshops. Attending workshops is actually a blast, and you can learn so much from other stampers and scrappers. And you might find some fun stamps individually that you like, and they may be less expensive than buying an entire set.

Check out other people's work, both in cards and scrapbooks. See what appeals to you. If it doesn't appeal, don't get it. It might grow on you later, and you can get it then. Begin to define what YOU like, what looks, what styles, what embellishments, what dies, what colors, etc, etc, etc. appeal to you.

If you attend workshops, you will grow incredibly fast in your skills and style. BELIEVE ME, I speak from experience. I have been attending a weekly workshop at a local stamp store for the past 6 months, and boy, have my cards gotten better.

If I had been given this advice years ago, I would have MUCH less in my craft room. Enjoy your new hobby, try to stay underwhelmed, and take your time.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmarielView Post
Reading your post made me so sad what you went through. I would be so jaded if that happened to me. I bought all of my SU ink pads from Ebay. I had to buy a little bit at a time. I bought one to three a week till I had a whole set. I didn't really have any bad transactions. I had a lot of great transactions.

I did buy all my reinkers before I bought the pads. I bought all the reinkers at once. I was lucky to do this. I have the brush markers set too. I use my brush markers to ink my stamps more than my pads. That gave me a little leeway to buy my ink pads slowly.

If I bought all my ink pads at once and they were ruined. I think I would never look at Ebay or SU ever again. Sending you better wishes that future online purchases are wonderful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #33  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You have lots of good advice posted above, but I just wanted to add one thing. Spend a little extra money and purchase good quality items. I'm sure several of us could tell you stories about how we bought items because they were on clearance or we thought it was a good deal. I can't even begin to tell you how many papers, stamps, and ink pads I got rid of because they were junky.

Slowly purchase what you need. It's taken me years to accumulate the items I use daily. For example, instead of trying to buy all the color ink pads, just buy 1 color family. Or purchase an assorted pack of card stock rather than just one color. After awhile you will see which colors/items you use the most and you can prevent buying things you probably won't use.
Reply With Quote Likes