Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Selling Retired sets on SCS

Have a lot of stamp sets to sell, but never done this before? Does anyone have tips for me? Best way to package these, best way to price the shipping before going to PO, etc?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 657 Likes on 414 Posts

well, I used to sell on ebay ( a very long time ago) so what I did was put the stamp sets inside the plastic boxes and then inside padded envelopes and weighed them on a kitchen scale so that if someone was winning just one set, and the wanted a price quote I could take that weight into the USPS site online and get a quote for them

if you have people who buy more than one set it may be cheaper for them if you can do the flat rate packaging the PO has.

( Im thinking of wood mounted stamps here, unmounted would be much cheaper to ship and you could get a lot in an envelope is my guess)

hth,

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

When I sold sets either here or on E-Bay, I sent them via USPS flat rate priority mail. Two small sets fit in an envelope then, but the flat rate envelopes are a bit smaller now so you would have to take that into account.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

If you're listing them here in the BST threads - it's SO much easier when people list alphabetically!!
And it's worth saying whether you'll ship internationally or not , I often have to ask about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please include photos, or links to photos. If you're selling older SU sets, you can probably link to the index image in the gallery here. I will click on a link to see a picture but I generally will not bother to open a new window and search for it myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I was about to write the same as SkyNacho - pictures or at least working links.
USPS also has Legal size flat rate envelope - you can fit in it more and it's just a bit more than regular FRE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #7  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Please include photos, or links to photos. If you're selling older SU sets, you can probably link to the index image in the gallery here. I will click on a link to see a picture but I generally will not bother to open a new window and search for it myself.
Links are certainly a bonus, although I can understand with a long list it could be very time-consuming. Hence my suggestion for alphabetical ;) - I don't mind so much opening a new tab to look at index cards, but if the first set is A and the 2nd set is F and the 3rd set is R and the next set is A again, I get tired of jumping around between the different pages pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Links are certainly a bonus, although I can understand with a long list it could be very time-consuming. Hence my suggestion for alphabetical ;) - I don't mind so much opening a new tab to look at index cards, but if the first set is A and the 2nd set is F and the 3rd set is R and the next set is A again, I get tired of jumping around between the different pages pretty quickly.
I totally concur...

Since we're on the subject - how should one go about pricing sets? I've un-mounted every stamp that I own. I know that there are people willing to buy them this way, but is it cause for a discount, or does it not matter? What if an image is missing from the set? What if you just want to sell one image and keep the rest of the set? Or you only have one image that you got from a yard sale or something? Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I totally concur...

Since we're on the subject - how should one go about pricing sets? I've un-mounted every stamp that I own. I know that there are people willing to buy them this way, but is it cause for a discount, or does it not matter? What if an image is missing from the set? What if you just want to sell one image and keep the rest of the set? Or you only have one image that you got from a yard sale or something? Thoughts?
If it has been converted to be exactly as if it were made as cling/clear mount then the price should be in line with that...clear mount is a few dollars cheaper new so they should also be a few dollars cheaper used. Any variations to that should reflect price. Do I need to use tape to get it to stick to my block? Cheaper. Bare rubber? Cheaper still ...and on and on.

I would love to buy just one image from a set...there are so many sets that I don't buy because I know that I will never use the other images. I don't see anything wrong with the single image thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

So many great tips!
Thank you for taking your time to share
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #11  

I have unmounted many of my SU sets and later sold them. For a lot of people, the cling was an added bonus. They sold better that way. Also, just a suggestion, before I sell a set I check out ebay's completed auctions to see which sets are selling and to learn what a fair price is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
I have unmounted many of my SU sets and later sold them. For a lot of people, the cling was an added bonus. They sold better that way. Also, just a suggestion, before I sell a set I check out ebay's completed auctions to see which sets are selling and to learn what a fair price is.
Good call! I'll be sure to do that...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #13  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I totally concur...

In the days before everyone was unmounting them, I would always try to find ones that hadn't yet been mounted , and ask for them without the blocks. I never expected to get them cheaper - for me the saving was in the carriage.
I've seen single stamps on eBay - but never the ones I wanted from a set!! But presumably they do sell. I've always been pleasantly surprised to discover that the very stamp I thought I'd never ever use has turned out see way more ink than I expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stauntonstamperView Post
Have a lot of stamp sets to sell, but never done this before? Does anyone have tips for me? Best way to package these, best way to price the shipping before going to PO, etc?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Just a thought... You could find out if there are any stampers in your area who might be interested in what you have to offer. That way you don't have to worry about shipping.

Hint, hint. ;)

Hope you've been doing well. We ought to try to meet for lunch sometime and catch up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default just realized who you are

yes, let's get together for lunch! We have started a new stamp group I'd love to tell you about. Send me your email address and I'll send you the list of stamps I have for sale! Looking forward to seeing you.
Reply With Quote Likes