Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water based markers - SU, Distress Memento?

I have a half a dozen SU markers and about the same of Distress. I have yet to try the Memento. I would love to hear from some who have and what they think of them.

Thanks. I have to stick to water-based markers, I can't use Copics or anything like, so trying to decide what to start collecting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm looking forward to answers for this one. I have all but one set of SU markers. I just got the complete set of distress markers today (woohoo!). And I am NOT going to buy copics unless I come into an inheritance that buys me a new house. But I'd like to hear what people like about all of these...and what to do with each.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I have heard that water based markers will never be as blendy as Copics or Spectrum Noirs. I can live with that. But I find the few SU markers I have tend to be streaky if used in a larger area. So I have been sticking to Prismacolor pencils for the coloring I do. But sometimes I don't want that look, I want a more saturated look.

Hope we can get some answers, Diane. Congratulations on your complete set of Distress Markers! Lucky you! You can't go wrong with those for some of the techniques that only Distress can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Tim Holtz has some excellent videos on his Distress markers on his blog, Youtube, or the Ranger web site. He just came out with a new video this past week updating the possible ways to use Distress markers. He had tips of things that he has learned about the markers since they have now been on the market for a year. I found I learned a lot from watching it, and perhaps you will find it interesting as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Annie, can you give the link to that particular video you mention? The latest one? There are a lot listed on YouTube, but none seem very recent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I hate ? to make myself an enabler, but the distress markers are a really good deal on Amazon. I got mine for about $70 but they've gone back up again. I put mine in my cart and watched the price. It went up and down really quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Distres...stress+markers
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Annie, can you give the link to that particular video you mention? The latest one? There are a lot listed on YouTube, but none seem very recent.
Not Annie, but here's Tim's new video: Distress Marker Coloring - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

an inexpensive (in the long run) suggestion. a bit off topic...if you want to color larger areas without the expense of copics and get the non streaky look, use colored pencils and a CLEAR alcohol marker, such as a copic.

I got excellent results doing this. the marker will melt the crayon and then you can blend without tearing the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Thanks Vic - excellent video. It does make me want to go play with the Distress markers I have. I have a lot of Distress ink pads, so I can get a lot of variations of color.

But a different animal than, say, the SU markers, which don't react to water. I'm still wondering about the Mementos, because I have been so happy with the Tsukineko products I already have.

Joan, I wish I could use the method you describe. I can't use alcohol based markers.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-04-2013 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this thread: I'm about ready to toss my brand new markers! by klh54 at Splitcoaststampers

Sadly, it's not very encouraging about the Memento Markers but it does give an honest discussion of one stampers problems and the solution she found by getting the right paper.
Might be helpful to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, Vic for providing the link for me. I am going to have to go back and watch it again, because it was information-packed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Well, not really sadly, Mary, because I wanted to know. So thanks!

I am thinking that for what I want to do, Distress plus watercolor paper may be the best thing for me. They seem more blendy and forgiving, if you use the right paper. My biggest problem has been finding a smooth hot press paper to use. I have WC paper, but I find it hard to get a good stamp on the rough surface.

I've done all right with Prismas and mineral oil. (Not that I do any complex coloring.) You have to use the stumps from Taiwan and I have found that mineral oil works better than baby oil, go figure. But I do want a marker option. It just looks different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
an inexpensive (in the long run) suggestion. a bit off topic...if you want to color larger areas without the expense of copics and get the non streaky look, use colored pencils and a CLEAR alcohol marker, such as a copic.

I got excellent results doing this. the marker will melt the crayon and then you can blend without tearing the paper.
Thanks for this tip Joan, I have a lot of copics but don't use them much because I get out of the line with them all the time. But I LOVE all my colored pencils and will try them out with my copic colorless blender.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

@RachelRose: I have looked for smooth, hot press water color paper near me as well. It's not easy to find and it seems to be WAY more expensive besides. I struggle with the same issues you do. I want to use water color paper for some techniques because I know it will be the best; but I end up not liking the rough texture.

I did find this web site: http://www.dickblick.com/products/ac...tercolor-pads/
They have a small 6 x6 pad of 20 sheets that goes for $11.75. Currently out of stock but available on 2/12. That's not an awful price and if you use it for a smaller focal image then layer onto the card front it could last you awhile depending on how many cards you make! They have larger sizes available as you will see if you go there.

Good Luck!

Last edited by cobby; 02-04-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I looked at that same exact paper, Mary, I even threw the 9 X 4.5 pad in my cart, because the 6 X 6 was out of stock. But then I decided to go work with my markers before I spent any money.

I went and played with my Distress Markers - I have six of them - using 140 lb. Canson watercolor paper and the technique demonstrated by Tim on that video. I was able to get a decent black outline image using Versafine, even though it wasn't hot press paper. I don't have the water pens, so I used my brushes. I was very surprised that the paper started to pill up as I worked. It was a floral image, and I was not scrubbing at the paper or over working at all. It was disconcerting and frustrating.

I don't know what to think. But I can't imagine buying all the Distress Markers if I can't get a decent result using the few I have. Is it my paper?

sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I love using Distress Markers with Specialty Stamping paper (http://rangerink.com/?product=inksse...stamping-paper)! One thing I learned from the videos: blot! Put color down with the marker, draw it out with a wet brush, and blot with a towel. After the area has had a few seconds to dry, if it needs more color, add some and blot again. It moves quickly, and there's no pilling of the paper.

I have used SU markers in conjunction with the Distress Markers. It works ok in small areas with not a lot of water. Gotta watch some colors, as they separate in water.

The SS paper is costly, but I don't use it for bases, and a pack lasts me a good while.

I love the great detail I get with the SS paper.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten several sets of markers from American Crafts at Michael's and like them a lot, they have a brush and bullet tip, not a huge color selection but they are nice and work well with the other water based markers I already have like Marvy.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

great tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

It's too bad you can't use alcohol markers because they are the best for blending with no streaks when using just a marker. I have several brands of water-based markers: SU, Distress, Tombow, Zig, Marvy, and a few others and they all work the same as they streak when coloring large areas.

I bought the Distress markers buying into the hype that they are different, IMHO they are no different than any other water based marker. I also bought the Specialty paper that gave much better results, but way to expensive to just to get a marker to perform.

I suggest using markers and a paintbrush or waterbrush and learn watercoloring techniques. You also need to experiment with different kinds of paper. I also suggest getting a smooth (Bristol) finish watercolor paper that will hold up to the water and gives you time to blend.

Another suggestion, is don't buy an entire set of any marker. There will be colors you never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default markers

I use Stampin up a lot but the Spectrum Noir are becoming a favorite. Can't afford Coptics either but Bitsey has a special for 89.00 every once in awhile for the distress markers. I may ask for some birthday money for this summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm still "old school, as I like to limit the variety of supplies for the same technique, but not the colors. I learned in a class, way back when, how to blend with markers, I think at the time they were Tombow, and we used a blender pen. I get the same result with SU markers and a blender pen. If I want something more vibrant, I have Prisma crayons (which I seldom use). For watercolor, I always grab my stamp pads and aqua pen and use either regular card stock or watercolor paper. I don't do as much beautiful coloring as many here do, as I usually let the stamp do the work. Guess I'm just not a painter when it comes to stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

I have quite a few Tombow markers which I bought when I first started stamping, and then last year I bought the entire set of Distress markers. I love them both. The Distress markers give me more muted colours which I like. Here's a photo of two identical cards I made to compare the Distress and Tombow markers when colouring directly onto the rubber stamp. The one on the left uses Distress markers and the one on the right, Tombow:

Five Stamp Thank You by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I haven't had any problems using either brand. I use them to either colour directly onto the stamp or to colour images on either PTI or Gina K cardstock (I prefer those brands over SU cardstock which I find too flimsy). If I want to use my waterbrush with them, I switch to watercolour paper.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Both very lovely! Thank you for posting these, so I could see the difference.

I have not done much coloring onto stamps. I've just use different medium to color things in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Rachelrose, since you mostly colour things in, here are two of my recent cards, one coloured in with Tombows:

Daffodils for Bonnie by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

and one coloured in with Distress markers:

Candy Canes and Holly by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I think the big difference I've noticed is that the Distress markers give a more muted colour (like old-fashioned house paint colours) while my Tombows give a brighter clearer colour. I like them both. I think the Stampin' Up and Memento markers are like the Tombow markers, while the Distress markers are more unique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Both very lovely! Thank you for posting these, so I could see the difference.

I have not done much coloring onto stamps. I've just use different medium to color things in.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Both so pretty, Susan! I do like using the few Distress I have, but sometimes you want a really bright, saturated look. I only have the Neutrals in SU. And that's the extent of my marker collection. I'm getting some good feedback here, though. I'll look into the Tombows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I've been playing around with my few Distress markers and decided that's the way I want to go for now. The price on Amazon for the full set dropped from $86 to $75 so I ordered them. I know someone said not to order entire sets of markers because there will be ones you will never use, but I don't think that will be the case with Distress.

I have been frustrated and casting around for months for a medium I could use to color in those stamps I have that are outline stamps. I tried Prismas, but without Gamsol could not get the look I want. I tried painting things in with my Distress pads, but I have to say I don't really enjoy painting very much and I don't like having to always work on watercolor paper. Using a light hand, I can use the markers on good cardstock.

It really came down to getting realistic about what I want to do. I admire the highly blended Copic work people show here in the gallery, but I really don't need to be able to do it to produce cards in the style I favor.

Anyway, I'll start with the Distress. See where I go from there. You have all been very helpful. Thanks so much. I should have my markers by Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #27  
Inking Addict

thanks for all the post, too i've learned several things!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Wow... I never thought of trying that... thanks for the tip! Time to go play!
Reply With Quote Likes