Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grand Calibur

I just ordered a Grand Calibur from Joann.com on a one day sale. Now I am wondering if I should have. Apparently they do everything I want except cut Bigz dies. What is your experience with the Grand Calibur?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I absolutely LOVE my GC. I still have my Big Shot when I want to cut out things with the Bigz dies, but 99% of the time, I use my GC. I have tons of Nestabilities, Spellbinders dies, Memory Box dies, Cheery Lynn Designs dies, and they all work great in the GC.

The thing I love the most is that the plates are so nice and thick. I've used my GC constantly for over 2 years and I have not had to replace a single plate. They have not warped at all. With the Big Shot, those thin little plates would warp the first time I ran something through. Sometimes the plates would start to break/crack, so I'd have to toss them and go spend more money to buy new plates. With the GC, I haven't bought anything except the new Raspberry plate so I could use the embossing folders in my GC.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that one day special but didn't bite....sort of wish I had now that I see the plates last so long. I'm a cardmaker, so I wasn't sure I would use the really big dies and the cost of them is so much more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my GC. It's not the right machine for someone who wants to use dies of all sizes/thicknesses, since it only accommodates the wafer thin dies (and Sizzlits, I've heard), but it's awesome for its purpose. I love not messing with persnickety sandwiches, and the cutting pads are both labeled and color-coded. Even I can't mess up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I debated on the one-day special, and when I decided to go for it, it was already sold out. So, I'll still be using my BigKick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm on the fence about this die cutting machine. I have the Cuttlebug (my first BIG tool purchase when I started papercrafting), Big Shot and Vagabond. I have just decided I would like to be able to use some of the larger dies. If I purchase this machine, I just don't know if I would use it enough to warrant having it. If I put my Big Shot away, I would have the space to leave it out and use my Vagabond for the thicker dies.

If I bought this machine, would I be on die cutting machine overload???

Please assist me with the pros and cons. Have Christmas/birthday money/gift cards just ready to be spent. I know, I know we crafters are ENABLERS!!!

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 02-01-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Add'l question
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I'm on the fence about this die cutting machine. I have the Cuttlebug (my first BIG tool purchase when I started papercrafting), Big Shot and Vagabond. I have just decided I would like to be able to use some of the larger dies. If I purchase this machine, I just don't know if I would use it enough to warrant having it. If I put my Big Shot away, I would have the space to leave it out and use my Vagabond for the thicker dies.

If I bought this machine, would I be on die cutting machine overload???

Please assist me with the pros and cons. Have Christmas/birthday money/gift cards just ready to be spent. I know, I know we crafters are ENABLERS!!!

OMG, ROFL!!!! Machine overload, could that be me too??!!! I though about the GC quite awhile back and did not purchase it. Just started reading this thread and what caught my eye was a couple things... No sandwich making, plates labeled and last longer. I have a lot of nesties and other thin dies! So with that said that would be great. I have a cb v2 and a vagabond. I have only had my vagabond over a year and when I say it has hardly been used is a under statement. When I first got it I used it to emboss each folder that I have and put them on a ring so I know what I have. I have also caught some tag dies (the thin ones) When I finished my embossing folders the plates were already warped! Just this week I have been looking at replacing those! I understand that the GC wont handle the sizzix & SU large dies so I would have to use my Vagabond for that anyways. Just love machines! I actually don't get to stamp and do much just because of a hectic schedule but I will NEVER give it up! When I do get to stamp, make a card I love it! I also spend to much time on this site!! Always organizing and re-organizing! Can I justify another machine??!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by vestamcView Post
I just ordered a Grand Calibur from Joann.com on a one day sale. Now I am wondering if I should have. Apparently they do everything I want except cut Bigz dies. What is your experience with the Grand Calibur?
Even though the sale is over, could you please say what they had it on sale for?

Thanks,
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
Even though the sale is over, could you please say what they had it on sale for?

Thanks,
Connie
It think it was $79.99. It included three sets of SB dies and a Wizard carrying case. Here is the link for it at regular price. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa808View Post
It think it was $79.99. It included three sets of SB dies and a Wizard carrying case. Here is the link for it at regular price. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it right away.

WOW! What a deal that was! All of that for $80.00, can't go wrong. I don't blame you for kicking yourself, I'd be doing the same thing! Definitely not buying it for that price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I DID IT!!!

I went to JoAnn and bought the Grand Caliber for $89.99 and used a gift card. Saved $50.00 so not too bad. The package was an awesome deal but I didn't know about it so lost out. Figure that's okay because I won't be taking it anywhere so don't need the bag and I have the Spellbinder dies in the shapes being included.

I have taken it out of the box and am itching to try using it to cut shape of the only oversized die I have but my puppy is sleeping in my lap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

To use the M-Bossibilities you need the raspberry plate (D adapter plate). I ordered mine from Create-4-Less for $11.24. Have 2 of these embossing 2-sided folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Just me again!!!

Are you supposed to rotate/flip the C-Cutting Plate like you do with the Vig Shot/Cuttlebug plates?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Just me again!!!

Are you supposed to rotate/flip the C-Cutting Plate like you do with the Vig Shot/Cuttlebug plates?
Yes you can use both sides of the all the plates! I have to say that I am not as diligent about that as I was with my old machine because the Grand Calibur 's plates don't bow or warp. I have had mine since it first came out and just got new plates a few months ago. I use my GC alot since I design for Spellbinders.....it gets a work-out everyday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for your quick reply. I did watch several videos on the sandwiches for cutting and embossing. I saw on one that it looked like the cutting plate was scratch up on the exposed side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I just ordered mine from Hobby Lobby ($2.99 shipping this week) and used my 40% off coupon so I saved $56..woohoo

Now for the big question...will the grand calibur do the embossing folders? I'm so hoping the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, the GC will emboss with competitors embossing folders.

Check the Spellbinders tutorials on the GC. They were very informative. To emboss with another company's you need an additional plate-'D' - Adapter Plate. (The Raspberry colored plate) I bought mine from Create 4 Less for $11.24.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Today, for a Door Buster Sale, Spellbinder dies and the Grand Caliber are on sale for 50% off!

There are other things but this one was of concerned to me. Yesterday, I bought the GC for $89.99 so I called and went to the store and did a price adjustment. Today it was on sale for $69.99!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Good for you on your astute shopping. I looked on line at one, but decided I really did not need it since I have a cuttlebug, wizard, big shot, and vagabond. I also looked at the ebosser, which has a great sale price too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Hi Ladies,
I just pulled out my GC. I bought it over a year ago. When I tried to cut some hearts out with the spellbinders (nestabilities) shapes, it worked beautifully, but- it looks like it just cut into the top plate. Is it supposed to do that? I used the "sandwich" per the directions. I am new at this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp2blessView Post
Hi Ladies,
I just pulled out my GC. I bought it over a year ago. When I tried to cut some hearts out with the spellbinders (nestabilities) shapes, it worked beautifully, but- it looks like it just cut into the top plate. Is it supposed to do that? I used the "sandwich" per the directions. I am new at this.

Yes it is supposed to cut into the top plate. The pressure needed to make the paper cut out causes the die to leave an "imprint". It doesn't hurt the cutting plate and it will last for a long time. You can use both sides, too!

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Thank you so much Debbie.
I love this product!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all of your replies. I also have a Big Kick and a Cricut. I hardly use the Cricut. I am sad that the GC doesn't do Bigz dies but will keep the Big Shot for that. Supposedly the GC has a lot of pressure that makes nice deep embossing and cuts thin dies really well. I also ordered the raspberry plate for $7.79. Love those Joann.com sales! The free shipping is a must for me as I live in Hawaii. I am visiting South Africa right now so haven't been able to try my new GC. Can hardly wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Yesterday at my Joanns the GC was on sale 40% off...they also had some GC dies marked clearance at $24.97. I been wanting the GC and wondering how many of you actually use the GC dies? And what do you use them for? I only make cards. I thought of getting the scalloped squares...I may go back and get the GC! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I plan to make cards from them and use them on scrapbook pages. The labels dies can be folded in half to make a card or used as a card liner. I make my own pop up centers from a decorative middle inside of cards so the shapes work nicely for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my Grand Calibur but admit I find the eBosser soooo tempting... but I won't get that. I kept my Cuttlebug as well. I use one of the Cuttlebug plates for embossing folders through my Grand Calibur. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I had heard that the eBosser was a little noisy. I watched a demo video and I could hear the motor. It was loud enough to hear on the video. My Voyager's motor is more of a hum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Oops, meant to say Vagabond. Sometimes, the spell check feature gets me in trouble because it makes a correction and I don't double check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Default OMG!!

I got my mom the grand caliber for $10.00 at an Amish store brand new never open. I think that's a deal now I need to find some info for her on what she can use in it/dies etc.

*��)
�.� ��.�**��) �.�**�)
(*�.�� (*�.�' Sharon*��)
�.� ��.�**��) �.�**�)
(*�.�� (*�.�'

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Sims700-

What bargain!!! The regular price is $139.

Check the Spellbinders website for the Grand Calibur sandwiches. It is the machine for their dies/embossing folders. You can use the thin metal dies and other companies embossing folders. You cannot use Sizzix thick steel rule dies though-too thick for the opening.

Please tell you mom to enjoy. She sure raised a tremendous bargain hunter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I thought I did well with the bundle for $79.99 with free shipping. What a bargain! Thin metal dies and embossing folders do well in this machine. The big advantage over my Big Kick is that the plates are so much larger. A lot of new large embossing folders and dies are coming on the market. You can also cut a bunch of dies at once. I love the stamp sets with matching dies. They are fab!
Reply With Quote Likes