Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Heart Holtz Bell Jar die idea and question

I bought the Tim Holtz Bell Jar Sizzix die without thinking this through. I would like to use vellum or acetate for the 'glass' part of the image, but now I don't know how to stick it to the card front. My idea is to punch a heart from red patterned paper and have it inside the bell jar. I have some 'vellum tape' but it slightly shows thru vellum, so I know it won't work with acetate. Any ideas for me?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Are you planning to use it with the stand it goes on? If so, can you just tuck the edge of the acetate or vellum under the top edge of that solid bit and stick it there so it doesn't show? It would leave the top of the jar unstuck but that would probably be OK.

If you're just using the jar bit on its own, maybe tie a bow round the neck and hide your adhesive behind the opaque bit provided by the bow?

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I bought the Tim Holtz Bell Jar Sizzix die without thinking this through. I would like to use vellum or acetate for the 'glass' part of the image, but now I don't know how to stick it to the card front. My idea is to punch a heart from red patterned paper and have it inside the bell jar. I have some 'vellum tape' but it slightly shows thru vellum, so I know it won't work with acetate. Any ideas for me?
I did not know he had this die. Is it new?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, it's pretty new. Older than the 2013 CHA releases.
To Angelnoth: That would hold the bottom of the 'glass' onto the stand, but I think the top would flop open! Thanks anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hadnt seen this die, now i am curious how you will do this---before i buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I'm thinking you make a "window" layer, but it would take some time and require hand cutting. Since the bell die itself is only one size you have to make a smaller template yourself. Cut out one bell shape from heavy card stock or grunge board. Trace around it onto your card front if you are very brave, or onto another piece of heavy card stock.

Set the "template" aside. Carefully draw inside the line you just traced to create a smaller bell shaped image. Cut this out with an X-acto knife or scissors. If it is on your card front you now have a window that you can mount the vellum or acetate die cut behind; and add an additional inside layer to the card to cover up the edges.

If you simply cut out a smaller shaped bell image then use that to trace onto your card front and cut the window out that way. Hope this makes sense! Like I said, it's a little time consuming and involves some hand cutting. Not exactly a fast way to get the look you are after. Good luck! Be sure and let us know what you end up doing. I'd love to see a finished card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I'm thinking you make a "window" layer
This is a great idea and there's probably a simpler way than the one Cobby describes. The acetate doesn't actually need to be the shape of the bell jar for this so you can do away with the need to hand cut templates etc - just cut the jar from carstock and then put a piece of acetate behind the aperture you just created. The acetate can be rectangular like the cardstock piece and you can use adhesive anywhere on the cardstock without it showing.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
This is a great idea and there's probably a simpler way than the one Cobby describes. The acetate doesn't actually need to be the shape of the bell jar for this so you can do away with the need to hand cut templates etc - just cut the jar from carstock and then put a piece of acetate behind the aperture you just created. The acetate can be rectangular like the cardstock piece and you can use adhesive anywhere on the cardstock without it showing.

Angelnorth....you are a genius! Why didn't I think of that. SOOOOO much easier than what I described. ( slapping myself upside the head now...). :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Angelnorth~~ That is the best and simplest way I can imagine! I just knew there were more crafty people out there than I am. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #10  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 391 Likes on 236 Posts

And this discussion is why I love SCS! Love getting the help/ideas/solutions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Well, I did it! I just cut the jar part from acetate and used Zip-Dry glue only on the knob area then tucked the bottom of the jar into the pedestal part. Zip-dry dries clear and really didn't show up because I used a background stamp of words behind the bell jar. I don't know how to download photos into my computer or I would post my final card. Zip-Dry is amazing on lots of things.
Reply With Quote Likes